These Are the 10 Strongest Gasoline Brands -- and You'll Never Guess What's at No. 1

It makes perfect sense for investors to seriously consider brand before buying their next stock. What will customers cling to when everything else -- including reason -- goes by the wayside? Why, products with the strongest brands, of course. As entrepreneur Marc Rougier put it, "Brands are the irrational power of our supposedly free and rational world."

With that in mind, today we delve into the wonderful world of gasoline, looking for the strongest brand from industry players like Costco (NASDAQ: COST  ) , Wal-Mart Stores (NYSE: WMT  ) , ExxonMobil (NYSE: XOM  ) , and others.

Rank and file
We begin by considering data from the 2014 Harris Poll EquiTrend rankings. This is a consumer-based poll that measures brand equity, connection, and buzz. Harris polls 40,000 Americans on aspects such as familiarity, quality, purchase consideration, and a brand's ability to generate conversation online, offline, and across the various social media platforms. The poll's gasoline brand rankings are as follows:

Rank

Brand

Costco

Murphy (Wal-Mart)

Shell

Speedway

BJ's

ExxonMobil

Sam's Club
(Wal-Mart)

Hess

Sunoco

Chevron

Source: 2014 Harris Poll EquiTrend Rankings.

That's right, Costco is at No. 1. It's almost unfathomable that a company that barely, if at all, advertises for gasoline can take the top spot on this list, but it has. In a way, it's almost an advantage not being an oil company in this case (you'll notice BP is not on the list) and generating good feelings with the larger brand. Cost is obviously a factor as well, as nothing generates brand loyalty like low prices. That's likely why BJ's and the two Wal-Mart brands, Murphy and Sam's Club, also make the list.

Outside of the retail selections, the rest of the list looks more or less like one would expect. ExxonMobil, Royal Dutch Shell, and Chevron represent big oil and are closely associated with gasoline. It is interesting that Shell places so much higher than its American peers. Part of the explanation is certainly that the company has a large retail footprint, with more than 14,000 gas stations in the United States, more than either ExxonMobil or Chevron.

Brand matters
Believe it or not, these brand polls are valuable to investors. In 2012, researchers from Georgetown University published an in-depth study to determine whether or not there was a correlation between the perceived value of brand equity and outperformance in the stock market. The researchers tested their hypothesis using data from the financial crisis and determined that not only does brand equity matter, but stronger brand equity correlates to better stock performance, lower volatility, and lower beta. Additionally, consumer-based brand polls like the EquiTrend results we looked at today are a better indicator of brand equity than financially derived brand rankings.

It makes sense then, that brand is something to keep in mind as we continue to build our portfolios. Consider the list above when you're looking for your next investment.

9 powerful dividend stocks
One of the dirty secrets that few finance professionals will openly admit is the fact that dividend stocks as a group handily outperform their non-dividend paying brethren. The reasons for this are too numerous to list here, but you can rest assured that it's true. However, knowing this is only half the battle. The other half is identifying which dividend stocks in particular are the best. With this in mind, our top analysts put together a free list of nine high-yielding stocks that should be in every income investor's portfolio. To learn the identity of these stocks instantly and for free, all you have to do is click here now.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 1:33 AM, tuanp40fool wrote:

Believe it or not, all gasolines are not created equally. Shell will give you the best mileage and Costco is next

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 2:14 AM, fresnosmokey wrote:

Doesn't matter to me. I use Propel Fuel. The only gas station I've ever seen ever get even close to green. Free air and loaner tools to bicyclists, diesel, full ethanol E95, regular gasoline, contributions for green projects to offset your carbon footprint. Works for me.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 3:09 AM, quasimodo007 wrote:

Yeah but the evil anti union Gop help the evil gop NEW American Mafia Privilege Crooks of wall street RIP OFF the Poor American consumers with huge Increased Inflated Prices while the evil GOp congress gives them Billions Dollar TAX breaks and the greedy Ceo get huge bonuses and now TAX free Paid Paid Perks.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 6:02 AM, bjbandassoc wrote:

Just returned from a 600 mile round trip. Filled up with Mobile gas on the outbound trip and got 17.4 miles per gallon. Filled up with Speedway gas and got 15.5 miles per gallon on the way home. Average MPH each way was nearly identical, so speed didn't explain the difference. Wind was rather calm both ways and temperature was similar. The only apparent explanation for the difference in MPG was the gas brand.

I would have never thought the brand mattered, but I will no longer seek out Speedway to save 10 cents per gallon. With over 10% less gas mileage, I would need to save nearly 40 cents per gallon at these prices to break even.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 6:41 AM, normgarry wrote:

I have a 6.4-Liter Jeep SRT 2014 and a 6.4-Liter Chrysler SRT.

I get my gas from BJ's because Super Premium 93 is normally 7- 10 cents cheaper than a regular gas station.

I time my visits so that I refuel on Thursday, right after I go shopping.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 6:43 AM, normgarry wrote:

This is a video I hade of my cars:

youtube.com/watch?v=TyHkjtPsXiM

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 7:39 AM, chromiumbluesix wrote:

At least BP isn't on the list- a company which should have been exterminated after its intentional Gulf spill. Oil, bank and pharma- legal thugs who have purchased politicians at all levels of government.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 7:43 AM, bobastor wrote:

From and investment standpoint, the question is: "who supplies the gasoline for COSTCO and BJ's?" Neither of them own refineries. Somebody is making money supplying them.

Murphy Petroleum, supplies most but not all of the gas for SAM's Club and Walmart But they still buy large volumes from other refiners and marketers.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 7:50 AM, badbee54 wrote:

I was getting my gas at the Kroger store's tanks because they were lower in price plus I got a 10% discount. One day I stopped at Texaco, my mileage went from 24 to 30 mpg on their gas, I changed stations.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 8:17 AM, JKCEE wrote:

BP IS NOT ON THE LIST..!! ?????

Who do you think owns SHELL ? BP does..!!!!

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 8:19 AM, swab9 wrote:

Those people who would see oil companies fail have no idea what it takes to produce petroleum. Without oil companies, we are Ethiopians! Not much works here without petroleum products, plastics, clothing, ... just about everything. You Cave Dweller Want A Bes need to get a life and find reality. I am so sick of hearing about carbon footprints I could scream. Take a minute and go back in the real atmospheric history of the earth (rather than the little snippet of time the tree huggers want you to see) and you will find that the earth has actually come way down in CO2 in the atmosphere. And it is not a constant value. It does over history vary a great deal.Mans impact is minimal because in the scheme of things, we are still not the driving force. Mother Nature is still in control. Just a bunch of uninfromed people taking a lot of mis-information and making some political statement with it when it is not the truth!!! Global Warming is a MYTH... I only wish Al Gore was a myth........PHD GEOLOGIST.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 8:22 AM, swab9 wrote:

I am sorry but Shell DOES NOT OWN BP. They are two completely separate oil companies. One is based in London (BP) and the other is in the Hague (Netherlands).

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 8:22 AM, jefftheman1 wrote:

wow john d rockaffer would shoot some one if i relized he was not number one!! oh how things change!

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 8:29 AM, jlseely209 wrote:

The problem with this list is that Costco has stations but their gas is produced by Exxon or Shell, Or by one of the other major refiners. I spent 20 yrs delivering gas and the only difference is the additive. And Chevron blends most of those.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 8:45 AM, dclaudew wrote:

Yes, Shell is its own company with RDS.B as its own stock symbol. It has not been a great stock for me. BP may well own more than 5% for those of you who read their annual reports.

Perhaps Shell is on the list because it gives a discount to its frequent users. Just ask for the Shell credit card. My card gives me 5% on gas purchases and 1% on everything else.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 9:14 AM, BIGSHCLUNK wrote:

For those of you who get lower MPG with certain brands.... I'd venture to guess ethanol content.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 9:19 AM, Mike11C wrote:

This article just proves that most people don't have a clue. If people would track their mileage, they would know that the cheaper, other than name brand, gas doesn't go as far as the good quality name brand gas and, really costs more per mile. I mostly drive an old Neon with 150,000 miles on her. With Shell or Exxon, she gets about 27 mpg but, she only gets about 23 mpg with Costco, Murphy, RaceTrac, or any of that other "cheap gas". You may save a dollar, or so, at the pump but, when your fuel light comes on 30-40 miles sooner, it actually is costing you more. So take that dollar you saved at the pump, subtract it from that extra gallon of fuel you need to go the same distance and, you're in the hole by about three dollars. "Cheap gas" really isn't that cheap after all. Can't do the math? There's an app for that.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 9:20 AM, verneoz wrote:

These types of surveys are based on predetermined prejudices of the survey takers. Besides, wasn't it a Costco store where last week a man bought some frozen fish, got home, and spied a worm in the package?

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 9:22 AM, thornhill11 wrote:

Long ago, I chose not to buy fuel from 'the biggies,' as mistaken as that assumption might have been. I chose Citgo, regardless of price, because I was not, willingly, going to give my money to Exxon-Mobil. What a surprise (putting it mildly!) it was when I filled up at Citgo, but found on my receipt, 'Exxon-Mobil' printed at the top. Instantly, I'd been sucked into a time warp, taking me back over a century ago, to the era of Ida Tarbell, Standard Oil, and the chicanery practiced by Rockefeller when he would leave untouched, the name and known quantity of 'that good ol' gas shop on the corner,' but would hornswoggle them into selling HIS gas. I'd hoped that this 'revelation' would be none at all to Aimee Duffy who, I might have thought, would see beyond 'names' and 'faces.' Re: Costco, Walmart, BJs, et al, "_Pay Attention_ to that man behind the curtain," whichever changing face ‘that man’ might be!!

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 9:34 AM, TyPrk wrote:

tuanp40fool, what empirical evidence do you have for your assertion that Shell gasoline gives better mileage than other brands?

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 9:46 AM, liffie wrote:

Their ownership may have changed but I do not believe Murphy USA is actually owned by Walmart although they do locate mainly in Walmart parking lots. I read an article talking about them a couple years ago in a Convenience store magazine talking about how they do business. From the article they own everything form the oil wells through refining to the distribution. Which is how they sell for so cheap. I think the make less than a penny in profit from each gallon sold, but the sell tens of thousands of gallons everyday.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 9:51 AM, sabebrush6 wrote:

It's all about the price, you idiot ! If Wingnut gas was cheaper, people would go there.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 10:16 AM, hemi2go wrote:

This list has nothing to do with "Brand Loyalty" and everything to do with "Low Cost Provider".

Only 1 of the top 5 is an actual Gas Brand...

The rest may sell a different "Brand" of Gas on any given day... depending on that days supplier.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 11:01 AM, rcmansid wrote:

I still like Quick Trip. The Gas is competitively priced , Service inside is unbeatable and the Frozen Cappuccino is irresistible.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 11:03 AM, vet212 wrote:

To all and sundry who think Ethanol fuels green, ha ha ethanol mixed and based fuels produce almost twice the carbon emissions of straight Gasoline and deliver far less MPG. and oh yes they usually being made from Grain also cause our food to cost more and actually lower the availability of some foods

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 11:09 AM, woody4847 wrote:

Costco buys fuel on the open market from whoever is selling the cheapest fuel. As does Kroger. Wal-Mart does own Sam's. The company that they refer to as Wal-Mart is actually Murphy USA which owns the real estate in front of Wal-Mart but it no more affiliated than an agreement to accept Wal-Mart gift cards for payment in some of it's locations. Murphy USA used to be owned by Murphy Oil which produced and refined petroleum but Murphy USA has since become it's own company in a spin off.

The difference in fuel mileage could be due to fuel that contains ethanol. Ethanol can be mixed in most states up to 10% without a separate pump and is a renewable energy source but can influence fuel mileage. As someone else stated the fuel is pumped out of the same tank at the same terminal and the only difference in the fuel is the blend ratio to reach the final ethanol rating and any chemical additive package added during the loading process to make the fuel a specific "brand".

If you are buying fuel the only factors should be price, convenience, and your conscience. Some companies support your community and some do not.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 11:11 AM, DaveP21 wrote:

This article is very misleading.The stats here are in direct conjunction with sales based on price. Let's clear up a few more things.To refer to the likes of Costco and Wal-Mart as "brands" is wrong. These places (in the gas world) are referred to as "unbranded". They, like convenience stores, get there gas from a stockpile that is made up from all of the major brands after they have delivered to their "BRANDED" stations. That's right !!! "left overs" !!! They sell these left overs to these "unbranded" stations at a lower price. That's how they can sell it so cheap.Another thing is, Until it reaches the depot where the delivery trucks fill up...ALL GAS IS CREATED EQUAL !! It's here where the additives for each "brand" are added. Bottom line here is very few people ( myself included) buy our gas based on how well it makes our cars run. We buy based on price. That's how the stats in this article turned out the way they did.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 11:13 AM, nameless wrote:

Not all fuels are the same. In America we have Top Tier designations. Top Tier has at least twice the additives that other fuels have. It keeps your engine cleaner, reduces emissions and gives better fuel economy and extends engine life. Seven out of the ten top auto manufactures recommend using this fuel. Costco sells Top Tier fuel. Google Top Tier fuel. I use Chevron.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 11:22 AM, DeWayne wrote:

To Increase your fuel Mileage, Reduce Harmful Emission & smoother, Longer engine Life

thefuelbusiness.com/fuelsaver keeps Diesel Fuel

from jelling in freezing weather it cost less than DEF used in the Trucking Industries For smoother & longer engine life thefuelbusiness.com/fuelsaver sign

up buy the product get 3 others to do the same get paid $600.00 & in go's up from there. hdfrank62@sbcglobal.net

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 11:37 AM, desertrattwo wrote:

It's not difficult to understand why Costco is #1. Price is king when it comes to products that people don't understand. But if you are not using a "top tier" gas (Shell, Chevron, Mobile, etc.) in your vehicle you could have maintenance problems "down the road" if you keep your vehicle longer than three or four years.

Seven of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

These automakers have raised the bar. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline help drivers avoid lower quality gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. That's something both drivers and automakers want to avoid.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 11:50 AM, Pssst123 wrote:

I've been reading that in less than 2 years, the US will be 100% self producing and free of Middle Eastern fuel. Not sure if this is correct, but if it is, I'm betting the farm on the fact that the price of our gas will NEVER go down. Instead of blaming the oil cartels, they'll have some convenient BS excuse for why production costs have gone up, federal regulations have added costs to production, etc. We will NEVER get a break. Once an animal has a taste for blood, he'll never let it go. Once an industry gets used to making a certain amount for their product, and they know we'll pay it, the price will never go down.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 11:51 AM, thornhill11 wrote:

Long ago, I chose not to buy fuel from 'the biggies,' as mistaken as that assumption might have been. I chose Citgo, regardless of price, because I was not, willingly, going to give my money to Exxon-Mobil. What a surprise (putting it mildly!) it was when I filled up at Citgo, but found on my receipt, 'Exxon-Mobil' printed at the top. Instantly, I'd been sucked into a time warp, taking me back over a century ago, to the era of Ida Tarbell, Standard Oil, and the practice by Rockefeller when he would leave untouched, the name and 'known quantity' of 'that good ol' gas shop on the corner,' but would hornswoggle them into selling HIS gas. I'd hoped that this 'revelation' would be none at all for the article wh would see beyond 'names' and 'faces.' Re: Costco, Walmart, BJs, et al, "_Pay Attention_ to that man behind the curtain," whichever changing face ‘that man’ might be.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 12:05 PM, durhamkid wrote:

There are a lot of rants on here that appear inaccurate to me:

RE: gas mileage with different brands: ethanol content will make a difference but I believe all gases have approximately 10% ethanol -and that probably doesn't vary by brand. I use the cheapest brand and have not noticed a difference in mileage. Marketers for various oil companies would not like to have you think that!

Also, if you car runs fine on regular gas (no significant knocking or pinging), you are simply WASTING your money by buying higher octane gasoline. Save your money.

The ONLY way to test MPG is to do a controlled test: ALL conditions must be the same to make comparisons: wind speed, driving conditions including speed, stop and go versus highway, how quickly you accelerate and brake - including engine braking, which is very wasteful, air resistance of the vehicle and weight in the vehicle to name but a few. NOTE: measuring mileage out and back is especially problematic b/c the ALTITUDE (height above sea level) will drastically change mileage values - i.e., if you raise your height above sea level from your initial fill-up to your final fill up, your mileage will be less - your engine had to push the car uphill all that difference.

I have been running my '93 Civic VX for 306K miles. A change of tire brand had the most noticeable effect - but the feds are about to add a testing category for rolling resistance (long overdue). Once or twice, I have let the tire pressure fall - that also has a major effect on mileage (10% loss or more when down by 10 psi, which is not visually noticeable).

My car is rated at 55MPG highway - which it can still get, when I drive carefully - (no faster than 60 MPG, no heavy braking). Due to its high MPG rating, it is more susceptible to things that affect mileage than a bigger, much more powerful car.

PS I am a physicist who works in energy conservation. I am a total geek about this stuff!

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 12:22 PM, clchapman wrote:

Contrary to popular belief that buy a gas from one dealer is better than another does not always hod true

A fuel truck is called to fill an exxon station , he goes to a bulk center where there may be 7 or 8 maybe even more bulk tanks for different brands

If the Exxon tank is empty he may pullover and het it from Phillips, Sunco, Mobil or shell or any number of other brands that may be there

I have a friend that drove a fuel truck for years,

and while on a trip thru New Mexico ,Utah and Nevada I spoke to a couple of fuel guys that stated the same thing .They go to the nearest fill bulk center and get what is available

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 12:22 PM, ladyprescott wrote:

@Quasimodo007...Hey Quasi, so you think the evil GOP congress is the problem. Uh, they just control the House, the Dems control the Senate and that's why nothing gets done. The Senate has the majority. Want to say evil who? And, by the way, take a look at whose spending $$ in China right now. Mrs. Obama, her mother, her daughters, all on your money.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 12:32 PM, AcuraT wrote:

This shows that price means everything and brand means nothing. Not when the top 5 has Costco, Walmart, and BJ's listed.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 1:45 PM, speculawyer wrote:

I prefer not to buy gas, so I've gone electric. And the power company can't hold me hostage since I have solar PV panels.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 1:49 PM, mobrocket wrote:

@ladyprescott and Quasimodo

its said that both of you think this is a party issue. Both parties work for big business and money. Both give huge government perks to major corporations.

Sad that you want to bring in Mrs. Obama.. Who cares if she spends money in China... even if she spent $10 million a day over there is a drop in the bucket

Worrying about pennies while losing dollars..

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 2:46 PM, Carrot1530 wrote:

Costco is not a brand of gasoline. Costco sells unbranded fuel just like every other unbranded station, no additional additives.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 2:46 PM, HeavyC wrote:

Check the Ethanol content of the gas. Go fill with 15% Ethanol and then fill with Ethanol free gas if you can find it. Check that difference. Ethanol gas is terrible for engine fuel systems!!

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 2:50 PM, kmodel53 wrote:

Seeing as there's only just a few 3 I think refinery's left here all the different brands come from these 3. All the off brand like Costco walmart murphy an the others buy from where the get the best deal. That DAY so it changes from day to day. Gone are the days of the gas wars where there was a station on every corner and would compete.I live in a small town in the south where 1 guy owns all the distributers so our gas is always 10 to15 cents higher then the next town over. But there's really NO deference in them some just have a deferent addative is all But they all have to meet the requirments set by the GOVT

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 2:51 PM, Carrot1530 wrote:

Whoever wrote this knows nothing about gasoline, branded and unbranded product.

They clearly do not understand that Murphy is a vertically integrated oil company from research and drilling to refining and marketing, they are not a walmart brand.. Murphy happens to sell their brand of gasoline on walmart property, Murphy is not walmart.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 3:56 PM, ampuleman wrote:

sorry people but gasoline is composed of over 300 components and differs from batch to batch and refinery to refinery and just because you buy from Citgo or Chevron or Exxonmobil does not mean you are getting gasoline made by one of their refineries.All companies trade gasoline from region to region and that the only thing you can rely on is getting their Brand of additives. If you are getting better mileage from one gas station to another does not mean you will get the same the next time you buy there.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 4:27 PM, ampuleman wrote:

By the way Citgo is owned by Hugo Chavez . And there has not been a Texaco company around for about 6 years when Chevron bought them.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 4:31 PM, ampuleman wrote:

Another Item Murphy no longer owns any refineries in the US . They are now Valero.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 9:43 PM, costmile wrote:

Costco gas cost less and PB cost more. Better miles with PB then Costco, but the cost per mile is the same. check it out.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 11:00 PM, khayne44 wrote:

Does anyone know where Valero ranks on this list?

• Report this Comment On March 25, 2014, at 12:41 AM, wfo75080 wrote:

I buy from Walmart and Costco because it's cheap, nothing more.

• Report this Comment On March 25, 2014, at 11:37 AM, Walkdub24 wrote:

Costco is on TOP TIER'S list of approved gas suppliers... Don't let people tell you their gas is "left overs." It's the same gas everyone else purchases from refineries. The only different is their additive which is the best in the business...

• Report this Comment On March 25, 2014, at 1:10 PM, WhiteHatBobby wrote:

I have caught that an unbranded, non-ethanol laced fuel is far better than any name-brand gas laced with booze. Booze cracked the block in a previous truck, and booze destroyed two mower engines.

• Report this Comment On July 02, 2014, at 1:15 PM, exerda wrote:

It would be very rare for any "branded" gas to go from well to pump entirely under that brand's control. People who think "Exxon" gas or "Shell" gas is different are deluding themselves; though each brand may use different additives to differentiate, prior to that step, all the brands' oil and gas is mixed together basically up until the trucks deliver to stations. That's just the way distribution works.

Costco isn't getting "leftovers." That notion is just silly.

Now, even if the actual fuel is largely the same and consumers have no way to guarantee from whom the crude or even refined gas comes, they can still exercise discretion in choice of retailer.

• Report this Comment On July 02, 2014, at 1:27 PM, anoble1 wrote:

Some of these comments are funny. The BEST gas does not give you the best gas mileage. So, Shell is not better than Costco. Costco Gas is #1. Underneath most or maybe now, every gas station has about a 1,500 gallon tank that Costco uses to pump additive into the fuel when it comes into the station. I think the additive they use still is called UltraZol 9888 which was the best additive at a certain point. The gas is very good quality. They pump this in when gas is delivered that way Costco knows what goes into your car. Thus other gas stations can not be monitored like these.

• Report this Comment On August 23, 2014, at 7:41 AM, sliderule43 wrote:

My Acura manual states that premium gas is required, and recommends using using top tier gas retailers only. Top tier gas symbol is displayed on those pumps. Was using pricey Shell Nitrogen 93, but noticed that Costco is now a top tier gas retailer. Switched to Costco gas last month. Speedway is not top tier. BP wasn't, but now is. Google top tier gas.

Sticking with top tier retailers is an insurance policy for your car.