Why I'm Buying Sirius XM, Again

There's been no shortage of activity, or intrigue, for Sirius XM (NASDAQ: SIRI  ) investors since I first bought shares of the satellite radio provider in December. In an apparent attempt to support Charter Cable's bid for Time Warner Cable, media magnate John Malone's Liberty Media (NASDAQ: LMCA  ) threw out a lowball offer to acquire the 48% of Sirius it didn't already own. Shareholders, from all indications, weren't impressed. Unable to advance his cause, Liberty abandoned its Sirius bid in favor of tracking stocks and a rights offering.

A few months passed, and that leaves us just about where we started. I bought Sirius on a simple premise: That it was a cash-generating machine that, under Malone's guidance, would aggressively employ leveraged share repurchases -- compounding value to shareholders at an astronomic rate. That's still going to happen. The market, meanwhile, has cogitated over competing offerings from Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL  ) , Pandora (NYSE: P  ) , and Spotify, and guidance for slowing rates of subscriber growth in 2014 -- and shares have gotten cheaper.

That mind-set fundamentally misunderstands the strength of Sirius' competitive advantages, platforms, and its ability to turn competition into revenue via its recent Agero acquisition. That's why I'm using the opportunity to buy shares of Sirius XM for my Real Money Portfolio again, in a position equal to 2% of my portfolio's capital.

Turning cash into cash
At the core of my Sirius thesis was a simple, but powerful, premise. Majority-owned by John Malone's Liberty Media, it would employ a classic piece of the Malone playbook -- what wonkish types call a leveraged recap. The mechanics work like this: Sirius, which produces a recurring, high-margin stream of cash flow, can assume a lot of debt, and more than adequately service it. It would use its cash flow and debt to repurchase undervalued shares, supercharging value accretion to shareholders. In a low-rate environment, like today's, that can be particularly powerful.

With the Liberty offer no longer on the table, Sirius is free to resume share repurchases. And if the company takes debt to its target leverage ratio, four times debt to EBITDA, and simultaneously uses free cash flow, I estimate it repurchase up to 15% of its shares outstanding. If Sirius generates $0.18 of free cash flow, a number I think is quite attainable, before share repurchases, and buys 15% of its shares, the number jumps to $0.21. Suddenly, Sirius shares are trading hands for a very reasonable 15 times earnings. For a company that could post double-digit earnings growth for the foreseeable future, that's wicked cheap.

There's good reason to believe repurchases will continue, and at a furious rate: I don't think Malone's done with his Sirius forays. Share repurchases increase his effective ownership of the Sirius enterprise, which could make it easier to effectuate a deal at some later point.

A fading signal?
Much attention has focused around two factors, which have afforded prospective buyers a nice discount: Slowing sub growth, and the possibly damaging effects of competing streaming offerings. On the matter of sub growth, which calls for 1.25 million additions on management's 2014 guidance, I don't think there's cause for worry. For one, the laws of gravity dictate that, at some point, this number slows. Sirius has added more than 1.5 million net subs for each of the past three years, and total subs currently sit at 25 million. A little lumpiness is to be expected. More importantly, even if growth slows to 1.25 million subs, Sirius shares are cheap.

That's, in part, because of a second factor: A promotional agreement with a "large OEM," widely believed to be GM (NYSE: GM  ) , expired at the end of last year. Under the previous arrangement, GM paid Sirius a sum for promotional subs in every GM-equipped car, and kept a share of Sirius' cash flow if and when promotional subs upgraded. Under the new agreement, GM doesn't pay Sirius for trial subs and, in turn, Sirius keeps more money on the back end. The likely implication is accelerating free cash flow growth, even if subscriber growth slows.

Market soothsayers continue to worry about competing offerings from the likes of Apple, Pandora, and Spotify. Foremost, they fail to understand three critical factors: 1) these services carry a whopper of a hidden cost -- data fees; 2) they can be complementary; and 3) they don't offer the depth and breadth of content on tap at Sirius. But even where these arguments fall flat, there's a more subtle point: Sirius can actually use competition to its advantage.

Sirius's Agero platform, what wonkish types call telematics, can make competition its friend. Effectively speaking, Agero amounts to placing a smartphone and operating system in your car's dashboard. Looking forward, Sirius expects to charge for inclusion of its platform (which already has strong relationships with OEMs), and various subscription services offered within it. Placing Pandora, Apple, or Spotify apps into a vehicle dash strengthens Agero's offering, allows it to charge automakers more, and possibly opens a licensing revenue stream for Agero.

Also remember that, while not bite-sized, Pandora and Spotify aren't too big for Sirius or Liberty to acquire. The benefits could be mutual, and huge: Sirius could use its clout with content providers to negotiate lower costs, which could dramatically improve the lot's flagging profitability. Likewise, integrating the Sirius and Spotify/Pandora offerings, and intellectual property, could make for a powerful consumer offering.

The bottom line
In short, the core elements of my Sirius investment remain intact. The signal's strong, and the price is better. That's why I'm back for more.

Six stock picks poised for incredible growth
They said it couldn't be done. But David Gardner has proved them wrong, time, and time, and time again, with stock returns like 926%, 2,239%, and 4,371%. In fact, just recently, one of his favorite stocks became a 100-bagger. And he's ready to do it again. You can uncover his scientific approach to crushing the market and his carefully chosen six picks for ultimate growth instantly, because he's making this premium report free for you today. Click here now for access.

• Report this Comment On March 28, 2014, at 8:22 AM, 67vair wrote:

Great, insightful article. Exactly why I am adding to my position as well.

• Report this Comment On March 28, 2014, at 8:36 AM, sirifair6 wrote:

Michael,

I truly appreciate your article. It is as sensible as it can be. It is down to earth proof that 2+2=4 unlkie so many are trying to present.

One point I doubt will ever materialzie is the acquisition of other juke box companies. It is not going to happen because it adds virtually nothing other than hype.

I also believe that siri will use Agero technology more broadly including primarily auto safety/security supported by satellites that they do not have to launch. This would be a slam dunk. It may take three to four years before safety chips get into the auto but I am almost certain that this is the direction the company is heading. This will be a game changer.

• Report this Comment On March 28, 2014, at 10:12 AM, dannysboy wrote:

Very good article.

I would add another SiriusXM advantage, simplicity. Why is that important?

There are three kinds of people working technology, those afraid of it, those who can't get enough of it, and those, like me, who have had a belly full of it.

SiriusXM is the embodiment of the KISS system----keep it simple stupid!

It offers the convenience, speed, and efficiency of familiarity with an almost 100 year old technology----radio. Turn on the set and dial up or punch the button of the station you want. There are no passwords, user names, or necessity to be involved in in periodic upgrades.

That's great for those who shy away from tech. and those, like me, who have been playing technology leap frog for decades.

Certainly not last is the security issue. When I'm listening on a radio and not an internet device, I know nobody is listening or watching me.

• Report this Comment On March 28, 2014, at 10:56 AM, SouthernBeach wrote:

I'm not real sure that Malone has done anything except hurt Sirus PPS for the past 3 months. It was doing very well until his low ball offer. Your article is quite accurate except that Malone is trying to shake out all of the small investors by driving the PPS down and scaring people into selling. Then he will institute a share buy back at a lower price. The Malone controlled Board and Mel replaced President are only yes men to Malone. They do not look out for the best interest of the Sirus Shareholder. They are looking out for Malone's and Liberty's interest or they would have REJECTED Malone's buy out offer immediately and done like Comcast....look for a better offer. Sirus PPS will go up eventually because they are a Cash machine and unless Malone is that vindictive (which he hates to lose) he will have to just watch it go up. Just my thoughts, right or wrong.

• Report this Comment On March 28, 2014, at 1:12 PM, sirifair6 wrote:

Southernbeach,

In principle, you are correct about Malone. He is definitely looking after his interests exclusively and does not give a damn about us.

It is my understanding you have been a long-term investor in siri. It appears to me that buybacks at a low price serve not only Malone's interests but also ours, long term investors. I know that Malone is not doing this for us but rather for himself. Nevertheless, for long term siri hodlers, low price for 6 to 9 months could turn out, conincidentally, a blessing. This is why I will say to Malone, keep shaking the tree, let all rot fell off and we will enjoy the ride...with you:)

• Report this Comment On March 28, 2014, at 7:11 PM, Pimust wrote:

"Agero amounts to placing a smartphone and operating system in your car's dashboard. Looking forward, Sirius expects to charge for inclusion of its platform (which already has strong relationships with OEMs), and various subscription services offered within it. Placing Pandora, Apple, or Spotify apps into a vehicle dash strengthens Agero's offering, allows it to charge automakers more, and possibly opens a licensing revenue stream for Agero."

Why would you need to put anything in your car dashboard when you can keep your phone in your pocket and stream content via Bluetooth to your car's ICE and listen to the same content while driving as you do when you go jogging or listen to at home ? I listen to Nokia MixRadio on my Lumia 1020 through my car stereos and thanks to the offline playlists I can download content to my phone before I hit the road to avoid any data charges.

• Report this Comment On March 28, 2014, at 10:41 PM, fawazmn wrote:

@ Pimust, you must be tech savy and prob hv lot of time on your hands just like my son who is in 10th grade. I like to sit in a car, push a button and listen to radio, especially the content which SiriusXM offers.