Procter & Gamble Won't Be Dogged by Poor Pet Food Performance Anymore

Following the disastrous recall of its dry pet foods during the dog days of summer last year due to possible salmonella contamination, Procter & Gamble (NYSE: PG  )  announced the other day that it's selling its Eukanuba, Iams, and Natura pet food brands to M&M's candy maker Mars for $2.9 billion. However, it will hold on to the leash of its remaining European pet foods business, at least for the time being.

According to the American Pet Products Association, U.S. household spending on pets came in at a record $55.7 billion in 2013, with pet food commanding the lion's share of it, representing more than 40% of the total. Indeed, the economics of the industry have looked so favorable that Del Monte gave up its more well-known fruit business to become solely a pet food company, while premium pet food makers Blue Buffalo and Freshpet are ready to go public with IPOs later this year. Pets need to eat, and pet owners are more likely to forgo their own comfort in favor of ensuring their pets' sustenance.

Two of the biggest outgrowths of the humanization of pets have been the development of healthier pet food products using organic or gluten-free ingredients and the creation of a billion-dollar pet supplements industry. P&G's own Natura line was purchased because the company saw the trend toward more wholesome pet foods growing bigger.

Yet despite those favorable conditions, Procter & Gamble has found it difficult to effectively compete against rivals large and small. Nestle (NASDAQOTH: NSRGY  ) , through its Purina brand, and Mars, with both the Pedigree and Whiskas brands, control nearly half the global pet food business; P&G's Iams and Eukanuba brands, bought for $2.3 billion 15 years ago, struggle to command less than 5% of the market.

The North America and Latin America pet foods business being sold to Mars represents 80% of P&G's exposure to the industry, and while the remaining 20% is mainly in European markets, it will be held on to for the time being until a separate transaction to shed those operations can be initiated later on. The company will now focus on its consumer products businesses, like Tide laundry detergent and Pampers diapers. P&G says selling the pet food business will cause it to shift approximately $0.03 to $0.04 per share from its core earnings to discontinued operations, though it doesn't change the core earnings-per-share growth guidance for 2014 it previously provided.

The pet food industry is still pulling on the leash for growth, and premium foods in particular will continue to expand their presence, but after this deal is done, Procter & Gamble will no longer have a dog in that fight.

Have you been barking up the wrong tree with your portfolio? 
There's a huge difference between a good stock and a stock that can make you rich. The Motley Fool's chief investment officer has selected his No. 1 stock for 2014, and it's one of those stocks that could make you rich. You can find out which stock it is in the special free report "The Motley Fool's Top Stock for 2014." Just click here to access the report and find out the name of this under-the-radar company.


Read/Post Comments (0) | Recommend This Article (2)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2912417, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 10/23/2014 12:37:22 PM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Apple's next smart device (warning, it may shock you

Apple recently recruited a secret-development "dream team" to guarantee its newest smart device was kept hidden from the public for as long as possible. But the secret is out. In fact, ABI Research predicts 485 million of this type of device will be sold per year. But one small company makes Apple's gadget possible. And its stock price has nearly unlimited room to run for early-in-the-know investors. To be one of them, and see Apple's newest smart gizmo, just click here!


Advertisement