AT&T Goes On The Offensive Against Google Fiber

The stage has been set for a showdown of sorts between Internet providers AT&T (NYSE: T  ) and industry new-entrant Google (NASDAQ: GOOG  ) (NASDAQ: GOOGL  ) , the outcome of which is hard to predict.

Google's new profile as an Internet provider is perhaps most closely associate with Google Fiber Google's ultra high speed Internet service it's slowing rolling out in select markets throughout the country. However, Google is also eying a move into creating its own wireless networks as well, a move that could put it in an odd position with telecom giants like AT&T and Verizon.

And the dynamic between AT&T and Google grew all the more murky when

Source: Google

AT&T went on the offensive against Google with a recent move.

AT&T vs. Google
AT&T recently announced that it planned to challenge Google's Fiber initiative by expanding its own version the service, dubbed U-verse with GigaPower, to several key markets in North Carolina.

The reason?

This region is one of the areas in which Google is also investing to build out its Google Fiber initiative, which implies more than anything that AT&T is starting to sweat at the potential threat presented by Google Fiber. In the video below, tech and telecom analyst Andrew Tonner looks at this new dynamic unfolding between Google and AT&T and what it could mean for investors in either of these names.

The time is now to invest in this coming $14.4 trillion revolution!
Let's face it, every investor wants to get in on revolutionary ideas before they hit it big. Like buying PC-maker Dell in the late 1980s, before the consumer computing boom. Or purchasing stock in e-commerce pioneer Amazon.com in the late 1990s, when it was nothing more than an upstart online bookstore. The problem is, most investors don't understand the key to investing in hyper-growth markets. The real trick is to find a small-cap "pure-play" and then watch as it grows in EXPLOSIVE lockstep with its industry. Our expert team of equity analysts has identified one stock that's poised to produce rocket-ship returns with the next $14.4 TRILLION industry. Click here to get the full story in this eye-opening report.

• Report this Comment On April 15, 2014, at 12:06 PM, stonesour73 wrote:

That's neat. This fiber thing has cost about 600or so jobs to get flushed down the drain. But don't worry, you get fiber interwebs....in a few years....it's strange no one mentioned the 500 PLS (uverse) techs that are getting fired on the 18th of this month.

• Report this Comment On April 15, 2014, at 4:36 PM, onemoretime1 wrote:

I'm sure the milkman also found a new job so I'm not sure what your point is stonesour73

• Report this Comment On April 15, 2014, at 4:39 PM, onemoretime1 wrote:

Suddenly Investors can see the bigger picture? Where was all this enthusiasm when Verizon wanted to expand FiOS? It certainly wasn't in spending for infrastructure.

• Report this Comment On April 15, 2014, at 5:19 PM, Striderknight wrote:

Stonesour the thing is if the companies don't start moving in the direction of Fiber they are going to get lost in the dust. Im sure AT&T has cable out there like we do that has been in place since the 1950's, They got their money out of it time to upgrade the infrastructure and grow. Telecommunications is always advancing, its not what it was 10 years ago and it will be a different monster 10 years from now.

• Report this Comment On April 15, 2014, at 9:12 PM, Vitabrits wrote:

See, competition is good for America! No more mergers.

• Report this Comment On April 16, 2014, at 2:09 AM, symbolset wrote:

AT&T, in conjunction with Time Warner Cable and Comcast have developed a new, cutting edge virtual broadband technology. They are calling it "Fiber to the Press Release" or FTTPR. They will soon be rolling it out to every market where real fiber to the home is offered. FTTPR will not yet be available in regions which still have no choice but to purchase their legacy products.

• Report this Comment On April 16, 2014, at 7:52 AM, conservative66 wrote:

I would invest in Google long before AT&T just because of this and all the other articles I have read about this. AT&T is only putting in fiber to compete with Google. What about the rest of the country? Instead of replicating ONLY the places Google installs fiber how about installing it everywhere else? It takes a moron to only go into a competing market when they could be putting fiber into other parts of the country and preventing Google from expanding. No instead the morons at AT&T don't care about the rest of us, they only want to try and compete with Google installing fiber. So the geniuses at Google continue to put fiber into noncompetitive markets where they rule. By the time the old thinking morons at AT&T put down their fiber everyone has connected to Google and don't want to change back to a rip off company. If today AT&T put fiber in my neighborhood and Google does it in a year I will switch to Google. If Google was first I would go with Google. Either way I will go with Google. Why? Because AT&T is showing everyone they don't care about the customer only keeping a competing company from coming in so they can keep over charging for outdated tech. My problem is no one else services my area.

• Report this Comment On April 16, 2014, at 11:19 AM, Triad wrote:

Hey you think AT&T,Google,Time Warner,Verizon or any other BIG name provider for cable and Internet.

Try the one I have Have Adams Cable!!! I would love to get Fast Internet! I'am stuck with 10mbs! I'am in North East PA .I have friend that lives in Mass gets 40 mbs. His provider is Verizon And they pay less then I do! Or go with Frontier and get DSL 6 mbs!

I have no choice had to go with Adams Cable and they SUCK! big time cable!!!

• Report this Comment On April 16, 2014, at 2:17 PM, tekwyzrd wrote:

The fastest internet service they'll provide on my street is 3Mbps. A sales rep who called to up-sell told me AT&T had installed fiber optic lines on my street and tried to convince me to upgrade from standard dsl to u-verse dsl. I knew it was a lie. I asked about the fastest service I could get. 3Mbps - the same as the service I had for a higher price. U-verse tv? Not in my area. After ten years of service and yearly outages totaling a year of service paid for but not received I terminated service and switched to a cell phone.

• Report this Comment On April 16, 2014, at 5:20 PM, acmemktg wrote:

I am starting a new INTERNET service - Its called Microcell tm . 10 mps -20 mps As part of your contract you install a micro repeater with no off switch. It is a super max wifi system with a base cost of $ 99 and free 12 months service .

Amazon will buy us out next year after the 10 millionth unit and give it away free with Amazon Prime .

• Report this Comment On April 16, 2014, at 7:16 PM, SilntDeth wrote:

Amazing that the ability to have fiber in our homes has been around for years, that AT&T, Time Warner, and the other big cable companies have known this. The sad part is, they would rather rip off the customer with poor service and over priced garbage then actually keep up with the rest of the world.

I live in Kansas City and should be getting Google Fiber sometime next month. I told Time Warner over a year ago that I would be leaving them as soon as Google got to my area. Their only argument was that Google puts a person under a two year contract. Told them I would take the contract for better and faster service over the garbage they provide.

I applaud Google for taking these steps and showing major cable how to properly treat it's customer base. I easily see major cable changing their pricing and tactics real soon, at which time I will stay with Google.

• Report this Comment On April 16, 2014, at 7:53 PM, mikeecho47 wrote:

ATT will selectively build fiber to the premise, in new housing areas and use fiber from their CO to field cabinets and then twisted pair copper for the last mile everywhere else. Translated that means that it is an inferior product ie DSL on steroids. A pig is a pig no matter how you dress it up.