Did Fiat S.p.A. Take the Muscle Out of the 2015 Dodge Charger?

Dodge chief Tim Kuniskis unveiled the refreshed 2015 Charger and Challenger in New York on Thursday. Photo credit: Fiat Chrysler.

Well, they promised us change -- but I'm not sure it was the change that Dodge fans were hoping for.

Fiat Chrysler (NASDAQOTH: FIATY  ) took the wraps off its refreshed 2015 Dodge Charger and Dodge Challenger on Thursday, unveiling the pair in a raucous presentation at the New York International Auto Show.

I was there, right up front, and I got a close-up look at both of the new models. Here's what I can tell you: After years of dancing around it, the folks running the Dodge brand are embracing its muscle-car heritage in a big way.

But as for the cars themselves, it looks to me like the Charger and the Challenger are heading in different directions.

Incremental changes to Dodge's big beasts -- mostly
First, let's say this: While the Challenger did get an all-new interior -- it's very similar to the interior that the Charger has had since 2011 -- neither the Charger nor the Challenger got any other huge changes for 2015.

Whether it's a matter of tight budgets, not wanting to mess with successful formulas, or (very likely) both, Chrysler kept the changes to Dodge's rear-wheel-drive bruisers subtle -- with one big exception.

The 2015 Charger has lost its big trademark grille in favor of a new front end that resembles the compact Dodge Dart's. Photo credit: Fiat Chrysler.

That exception -- the Charger's new front end -- was a big topic of conversation at the show. The brash Ram-truck-inspired crossbar grille that has been a key part of the four-door Charger's junkyard-dog appeal since its introduction in 2006 is gone.

As you can see in the photos, it has been replaced by a finer-lined blacked-out affair that looks like it was cut and pasted right from the compact Dodge Dart.

I can say that it looks good in person -- it's sporty and still fairly aggressive. The LED headlight trims are well executed and make the 2015 Charger look a bit more modern.

But it's the resemblance to the Dart that seems likely to be unsettling for Dodge fans: Is Fiat Chrysler taking the muscle out of the car that wears the most hallowed muscle-car name of all?

Is Fiat Chrysler taking the muscle out of the Charger?
That's a question that doesn't have an easy answer. On one hand, Dodge brand chief Tim Kuniskis used the term "muscle-car" frequently and enthusiastically while referring to both the Charger and the Challenger. And you can still get a Charger with a Hemi and other rowdy go-fast parts.

On the other hand, the Charger's styling is suddenly a lot more in line with the Dodge mainstream. And the 2015 Challenger gets some hot engine options that apparently won't be making their way to the Charger.

Changes to the 2015 Challenger's exterior included new lighting, but were otherwise subtle. Photo credit: Fiat Chrysler.

Once available only in the top-end SRT trim, the hot 6.4-liter Hemi V8 will be offered in a couple of different (more mainstream) packages in the 2015 Challenger. But if you want a V8 Charger without paying the big SRT premium, the lesser 5.7-liter Hemi is all that's offered.

Of course, there has been some differentiation between the two for years. Since its reintroduction in 2008, high-performance versions of the Challenger have been available with both automatic and manual transmissions, but the Charger has always been automatic-only.

Why doesn't the Charger -- which, after all, wears one of the greatest of muscle-car names -- get all the muscle-car goodies?

Why the Charger isn't just a four-door Challenger
Unlike the two-door Challenger, the Charger has to do double duty.

The Charger isn't just a muscle car, which after all is a niche market. It's also Dodge's mainstream full-sized sedan.

To some extent, it competes with vehicles like General Motors' (NYSE: GM  ) well regarded Chevy Impala, Ford's (NYSE: F  ) Taurus, and even Toyota's (NYSE: TM  ) Avalon.

It's also offered in a police version that is popular with some highway-patrol units.

That means it has to check off a lot of mass-market boxes that the Challenger, as a niche product, doesn't.

And that means that it has to look and act respectable, at least some of the time.

So is Fiat ruining the Charger?
I think Fiat is trying to make the Charger better -- but we have to understand what "better" means to them.

I do think Fiat (and Chrysler) would like to sell more Chargers. I think they would like to see the big sedan compete a little better in the mainstream part of the market -- while still keeping a foot in the high-performance realm.

Besides the Charger's new nose, the big news was the 2015 Challenger's new interior. It closely resembles the overhauled interior introduced when the Charger was last refreshed in 2011. Photo credit: Fiat Chrysler.

I think they're not (yet) ready to unveil a radical overhaul of the Charger and its siblings. So with a limited budget, they've done what they can to keep the 2015 Charger a little closer to the automotive mainstream while keeping some of its muscle-car cred intact.

We know that bigger changes are coming. The rear-wheel-drive platform that underpins the Maserati Quattroporte and Ghibli will eventually spawn new versions of the Chrysler 300 and the Charger (and presumably the Challenger, too).

But the freshly merged Fiat Chrysler has a lot of work to do, all around the world. Major (read: expensive) changes to the Charger will have to wait a while longer.

In the meantime, they've done what they can.

What do you think? Did Fiat Chrysler mess up the Charger with this new grille? Or will it work out fine for Dodge's biggest muscle car? Scroll down to leave a comment and let me know.

Special free report: Why it's time to say goodbye to "Made in China"
For the first time since the early days of this country, we're in a position to dominate the global manufacturing landscape thanks to a single, revolutionary technology: 3-D printing. Although this sounds like something out of a science fiction novel, the success of 3-D printing is already a foregone conclusion to many manufacturers around the world. The trick now is to identify the companies -- and thereby the stocks -- that will prevail in the battle for market share. To see the three companies that are currently positioned to do so, simply download our invaluable free report on the topic by clicking here now.

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 12:07 PM, sabebrush6 wrote:

Fiat does not relate toAmerica's yesteryear's muscle cars. The new design makes it look like a big Dart which is a POS. I wouldn't touch one now. YUK!

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 12:24 PM, LarryLugwrench wrote:

Regarding the new Charger, I'm sort of neutral on the new front end. I did like the old one but I can get used to the new one. However, it does beg the question; which one is more aerodynamic. If the new one is more aerodynamic, that could also have been a reason to change. Overall, I still like the Charger and I love the new interior. Regarding the 6.4 engine, I believe you should have to buy the SRT to get it so you also get the brake and handling package along with it. That could be considered a safety consideration.

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 12:56 PM, seagjef wrote:

why did dodge not make a 2 door charger as well as 4 door?seems that ALOT of mopar fans would be lining up for a 2 door

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 1:04 PM, davidtry wrote:

I think my 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8 super bee just became even more rare and unique.

If i understood this correctly, there will be no 6.4 hemi offered for the dodge charger, there will be no scat pack options or ways to beef up the 5.7 versioned charger either. If that's true - that is SAD!!

I have read that the new hellcat 6.2 supercharged hemi 'should' be availble in not only the challenger but also the charger as well - wonder if that will still happen. If so, the only way to get a top in class 2015 charger SRT8 will be to spend $70-80k? and the next lower price point would be for a 2015 Charger R/T with a 5.7 hemi for around $30-40k?

Seems there's a huge hole / gap there...and alot of disappointed folks who were potential charger SRT8 buyers will now have to make another choice and leave the brand - and by the way - these types are the most loyal brand customers dodge could have so they are hitting the most brand loving data set with these future plans..not cool.

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 1:07 PM, footnote69 wrote:

I hate the center console in the new cars, it's tacky and takes out the roominess out of cars, the car companies just don't get it, if i brought anything i would buy a Ram truck, that's the only thing left that's roomy and nice inside. that's one of the many reasons why Dodge Ram keeps winning awards.

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 1:25 PM, brb39 wrote:

The story goes back to the Unions ,, American Automakers have always been burdened with ubions when competitors have not and never will be ,, This has at one time or another put all the Big Three at the Brink , some more than once ,,The Charger and Challenger were born during one of these time when Chrysler was owned by Mercedes ,,, Who used the company as a cash cow , stripping it and leaving it on life support ,, Fiat took over and has done a marvelous job of keeping it alive ,,But it has not the funds to develop all the brands at once ,, The fans of the old design charger did not support it with sales , Something had to change ,, I like the new look as well as the Challenger

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 1:46 PM, MaxxTheKatt wrote:

The new front end looks a whole lot like the new front end on the new Toyota Corolla and on some of the new Mitsubishi's.

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 3:51 PM, emjayay wrote:

The new center console does not appear to be any larger or take up any more room than the old one.

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 4:21 PM, puppybone69 wrote:

Hell yeah they ruined it, you admit it just by asking us!

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 5:12 PM, TMFMarlowe wrote:

@davidtry: There's a caveat -- I can't actually say for sure that there will be no 6.4 Charger offered. They didn't show us the SRTs at this event, just the regular Dodges. (Remember that they treat "SRT" and 'Dodge" as two different brands now, sorta.) What I can say is that you can get the 6.4 in a couple of packages on the non-SRT Challenger, but not the Charger.

Thanks for stopping by.

John Rosevear

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 5:20 PM, mxtgary wrote:

LOVE the new Charger , loved the old one.

Change while not always great is sometimes needed

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 5:28 PM, Toast54 wrote:

As I understood it, Fiat-Chrysler will put the Challenger on hiatus and replace it with the Barracuda for a year or two. I'm wondering if this is actually in the works.

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 5:46 PM, WildWilly wrote:

Seems like a lot of you are too young to really know what Mopar "muscle cars" are about.

I'm talking about when "traction control" was how much you pressed the gas pedal! LOL Which is why I'm getting a good chuckle from some of these comments.

Mopar was the first USA car manufacturer to see the sales benefit in diving head-first into auto racing. And a lot of Mopar top brass at the time were racing gearheads themselves.

The big hemis were made to dominate the drag-race scene ala NHRA and AHRA.

Cars like the Dodge Coronet and Plymouth Belvedere kicked ass in the SuperStock categories early on.

Then came NASCAR, and that's where the Charger was born - a somewhat more aerodynamic platform for the hemi, which turned out to have been so well designed it could easily take the stress of these longer races.

After that saw the birth of the "road course" races ala the TransAm series for the growing "ponycar" segment, which spawned the Challenger (and 'Cuda) to go up against the Camaro and Mustang.

So, Mopar "muscle cars" have always been TWO-DOOR rwd autos.

So, I hope you'll understand when I say that, to me, Chrysler has been insulting Mopar fans with what it has badged a "Charger" since 1975.

At best it is now a GT, and Dodge has a slew of cool names they could have used in 2006 instead of Charg(gag)er.

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 6:52 PM, Russl wrote:

Until I see a 2015 in person I will withhold judgement. I have owned a lot of cars over the years. I currently own a 2012 Charger RT with the Road & Track package in black. With the blacked out grill and 20" chrome wheels it has a menacing muscle car look. At $ 31.5K it was a steal fully loaded. I also own a 2013 Challenger RT Plus. Until recently I had no interest in Mopars. in the past I owned many including two 1969 Chargers. These cars do everything better than their predecessors. They start, stop corner and are pretty fast. They are not as fast as Camaros or Mustangs but they ride a lot better. When I buy a car there has to be some emotion involved. Practical is nice but I an not a Honda type of guy( my wife drives an Acura CL Type S ). I will see how emotional I get when I actually see a new Charger. The new Challenger already has me going.

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 8:44 PM, davidtry wrote:

Thanks for the info John - what i have been reading is that all future SRT models will have only one engine offering: the 6.2 hellcat / supercharged hemi providing 600+ hp and at a cost above $70k.

So...that means that there will not be a 6.4/392 SRT challenger or charger - of course i am just assuming this all based on what i have researched..

Also the simple fact that they didnt provide details about a 6.4 charger (non-srt) at the NY auto show validates my suspicions that there will not be one available.

Currently (model year 2014) you can get a 'core srt charger or challenger' like my superbee with the big 6.4 hemi but without all the options - this for the pure enthusiast who just wants the performance without having to spend on all the extras.

The announcement of the 2015 392/scat pack challenger option(s) is a replacement to the 2014 'core' and provide the performance features offered in 2014 but the lack of information on any 'core' or 392 charger at the show means to me that there will not be one available.

I guess we will see...eventually....

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 9:02 PM, Dnr1169 wrote:

Hmmm... So Fiat/Chrysler decided to make Dodge's only successful sedan look more like it's slow selling, unpopular compact sedan. Yeah. That's a good idea.

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 9:34 PM, Leatherdaddy10 wrote:

I really like the Dart! Just wish Chrysler would make it a 2 door coupe, and add some giddyup

to it. I think it would really sell much better.

NOT EVERYONE WANTS 4 doors!!!!!!

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 9:40 PM, Turbojohn1989 wrote:

It is amazing how a little ignorance can go so far.

1. It is NOT the unions that destroyed the American auto industry. It was the giant money funds. You can trace the loss of quality starting with the years that "bean counters" were made CEOs. McNamarra almost destroyed Ford. GM started downhill in 1958. Chrysler was almost ruined when Walter P.'s successor was far too conservative for postwar America.

2. Chrysler Corp. was not the first to jump into racing. Hudson and Oldsmobile were there first.

The 1955 Chryser 300s were private entries by Carl Kiekhaeffer to advertise his Mercury Marine outboards.

3. Until Zora Arkus Duntov convinced GM top management to start making "go fast goodies" for the Corvette, factory sponsorship of racing was a back door operation which the Big 3 disavowed in 1957. For the next few years it had to be done almost in secret. It was again publicly disavowed in 1963. But that did not last long.

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 9:47 PM, davidtry wrote:

I keep seeing folks complaining about the 2-door vs 4-door situation. If Dodge made the charger a 2 door car, wouldnt it be competing with the challenger at that point? The challenger is their 2-door coupe.

Maybe back in the day there were plymouth/dodge 2 door coupes competing in the same segment but plymouth is history. The charger has 4 doors now for over a decade and the car continues to increase market share - obviously people (me included) like the extra 2 doors and roomy back seat.

The charger now serves people who are seeking a 4 door sedan and it competes domestically with the likes of the chevy ss and the ford taurus. In SRT form, it can (or does a good job at) competing with the likes of the M5, S6, AMG 4 door sedans and at half the price.

I get the gist that a muscle car to most people born in the 50s, 60s and 70s = 2 door coupe but things change in life and i think we all should just accept and embrace this change instead of hoping things will revert back to the way things used to be. It just is not going to happen.

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 10:26 PM, foshay wrote:

I still believe that real Chargers only have and will always have two doors.

A fast four door car is still a four door car, you know mom drove us around in a four door car and even the old four Ford Galaxy could come with big a block and went fast.

Dads last company car was a 1969 428 Cobra Jet Mach 1, sweet to have someone else pay gas and maintenance.

We were also shown a concept "Charger" with a more hidden back door and 700 horse power.

I was lucky enough to be able to drive Muscle cars when I was young, and now I drive an Abarth and a 2013 370Z NISMO, they are fun and fast but not raw motors with a body to hold them.

The only comfort other than my own that I care about is my sweetie in the seat next to me so I don't need two more doors.

I am glad Fiat stepped up and helped save Chrysler, they will not steal the technology, design departments, and vehicle market segment opportunities like Daimler(Mercedes) did.

Read Mondo "Agnelli Fiat, Chrysler and the power of a dynasty" and understand what the merger means to both brands and how it came about.

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2014, at 11:47 PM, imDanielle2 wrote:

Both are awesome I think and I would love to have either one.. I have owned two of the RT Chargers so far and currently own a 300C and love it.. I have zero complaints about any of the Hemi powered cars I have owned so far..

• Report this Comment On April 21, 2014, at 2:54 AM, ChallyRT1970 wrote:

Looks like I'll be buying a 2014 Challenger! I cannot balieve that this is what Dodge comes up with for the new challenger interior??? It looks like a Challenger on the outside and a Kia Rio on the inside. How lazy could they be and for the money we pay for these cars they should be able to design a unique muscle car retro interior for the challenger look at other new retro muscle cars they are in the same price point and they have interior that looks just as good as the outside of the car when your in it! When your sittin in a Mustang you knwo your in a mustang and the same with camero! I was hopeing they would make the challenger interior look close to the concept interior now thats what the challenger deserves not this hodge podge of madness!

• Report this Comment On April 21, 2014, at 8:08 AM, MitchAdamas wrote:

That Charger looks feminine, looks like a Dart, what the hell they doing? I wont buy one. The Impala is a lot better looking. I asked a Chrysler Canada employee about Challenger offering a convertible. Car is built in our country. They just rolled their eyes. I guess there is friction between the studio and research dept. They are blaming each other on the failures of the Viper, Dart, Fiat 500, and soon to be release Charger and no convertible Challenger. They better insert a piece maker before things get uglier.

• Report this Comment On April 21, 2014, at 8:20 AM, 10secdak wrote:

I like the facelift done to both cars.

Charger: (never liked the crosshair grill, thought it was butt ugly) I dont care where it came from 300C, Ram whatever UGLY!) Dart or not the new grill is an improvement.

Oh and BTW: its a well performing Family Sedan.

And Challenger: retro back to the 1971 Challenger although its kind of cool and a cruiser in a Harley Davidson way, the Challenger is still a huge pig of a car, the current Challenger compared to the 1971 counter part although a superior car, looks like the middle aged version of the High School Jock with alot more around the middle.

• Report this Comment On April 21, 2014, at 9:21 AM, pmod wrote:

After many years having worked as an automotive retoucher on Chrysler/Dodge subject matter, I am glad to see the they are FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY doing away with that STUPID, worn out and stale "truck" crosshair grill that these Chrysler designers could not ever seem to get passed as they have cut and pasted it on every Dodge since save the Viper. A little variety in the family never hurts and not every sibling needs to be literally identical. Hated the crosshair grill then as much as I do now. Enough!

The newer grill though a little better still misses the mark by a country mile of what the new Dodge Charger grill should be/should have been (integrate a swept/sleek retro 68/69 style) - and they could very easily do this. I will give Fiat more credit than Diamler Benz. Thus far at least…

By chance did they do something with that stupid "boxed" end design on the Challenger rear (bumper).

Where did these guys go to design school? It is as though they simply plain gave up or the clock ran out and these "Chopped" chefs ran out of time.

Look at the original Challenger (sleek and styled) and tell me what is missing?

If you are going to do retro, than do it right!

• Report this Comment On April 21, 2014, at 9:35 AM, pmod wrote:

"4. The "crossbar" or "gunsight" grill came from the Chrysler 300s ( 1957-1963 ) NOT Dodge Ram trucks."

"5. Why was the Charger made a 4 door ? Because it was also aimed at the family car market. Have you ever tried to put a child safety seat in a 2 door coupe ? In the family car market not everyone wants a minivan. But 4 doors outsell 2 doors 3 or 4 to 1. Can you fault them for going where the numbers are ?"

Re #4 - Yes, it did appear on this car and popped up in the '96 line up and 12 years later hasn't left. It has stayed at the party way too long.

Re#5 - The Charger, Magnum and Chrysler 300 all share the same platform. Standardization and to avoid a redesign on a shorter platform, avoid having to accommodate longer doors for a true coupe in the same platform and so on. To save money at the risk of a (original) Charger purist backlash. The first generation of these cars have always looked too thick and puffy for my tastes. Though I liked the Chrysler 300, the Charger always came across (designed) as desperate and contrived afterthought.

• Report this Comment On April 21, 2014, at 10:10 AM, JTRK wrote:

I am a huge MOPAR fan have been for 1/2 century. I understand why the Charger is a 4 door, davidtry has the right opinion. What they could do is shave the back door handles and make them electronic locking doors. I like the new front end on the Charger, but I don't like the gaping maul (large mouth bass) front end on the SRTs. If it were me, I would paint the wide crossbar on the drill the body color. There are enough aftermarket parts out there to make the baby Hemi a romping stomping road hugging monster that would out perform any SRTs out there.

The Challenger has not changed enough for me. I was hoping for the Cuda' grill and a convertible.

• Report this Comment On April 21, 2014, at 10:50 AM, 2011challengerIE wrote:

I bought the 2011 Inaugural Edition Challenger and at one time thought I jumped the gun and should have waited for the Hellcat...I WAS SO WRONG...This new styling really makes me want to throw up all over myself. Also, I hate the new interior. They should really stop already.

• Report this Comment On April 21, 2014, at 12:52 PM, rotordoc714 wrote:

That is what happens when you give away your American Auto Manufacturer to a foreign entity. You lose complete control of everything. Things will only get worse from now on. Before you know it, the only thing they will be making is Fiat 500's. With various american car names. The same thing will be happening with General ( China) Motors. in the future. The President give a damn about the American car manufacturers. This is what you got. I'll just stick with my Fords. They arent under anyones thumb. They will continue to prosper with new ideas that they come up with.

• Report this Comment On April 21, 2014, at 1:27 PM, gwiloby wrote:

I would love to have the manual transmission option in the charger!!!! The 5.7L with manual transmission would be a great and reflect the cars history.

• Report this Comment On April 21, 2014, at 1:38 PM, 123ChargerFan wrote:

I would like to thank FIAT for making my 2014 Charger that much more valuable with the introduction of the Dartger. I already have a classic that's only one model year old!!!

• Report this Comment On April 21, 2014, at 3:42 PM, GoKustom wrote:

It could be worse- look at the new 2015 Mustang or any new Camaro! Mustang looks like a squinty eyed bulldog and the Camaro is hopeless (but then so is most GM styling). Car design is no easy feat…I remember when the 6th generation Charger first came out, ALL the whiners were crying about it being a four door, yet thousands and thousands sold and people grew to love it (or at least respect it). Personally I think the headlights are too rounded at the top edge and the grill needs some serious tweaking. I have seen a few artists renderings with the face down B shape (like the current Charger tail lights) used for the grill that are awesome. AT LEAST IT LOOKS 10x BETTER THAN THE 1977 CORDOBA CHARGER! I mean no new Charger could be as wicked as my 1966 Straight Axle Charger- but I wouldn't mind owning a new one to take the kids to school in.

As far as the Dart, I dig it. Looks mean and kick ass in SRT trim. Dodge needed a car like the new Dart to replace the Caliber.

About Unions (via brb39), FIAT also has Unions as do most of Europe. Unions made this country great. Ford was never on the "brink" of bankruptcy. Well run company with good products. GM got bloated and refused to address serious pension issues for decades which caused their eventual downfall. You only have to look at how management is handling the current "key malfunction" to see why GM was in such bad shape. Your bound to be wrong when you get your news from Fox.

• Report this Comment On April 21, 2014, at 4:31 PM, MinisterMike wrote:

Regarding the charger/challenger flak. Personally I think the days of the "old school" charger have come and gone. Its a brave new world our there folks and the era of the landyacht has sailed.

If folks are clammoring for a 1970 charger body with new car accoutrements then why not go find one, take it to a restoration place and have them out fit it with all new stuff? Then you have your old car with modern conveniences. If you want a NEW car then embrace the fact that if you want a 2-door charger you can have one - it'll just say challenger on the trunk lid.

As for the front end. Bleh. I get that they're probably looking for a little brand continuity - which is why the quad grill made it's way from the Dodge trucks into the cars, but come on man. That stuff might fly in Europe but this is 'Mericuh! We like a proper front end!

I had really grown to like the Charger prior to the previous revision (nice sentence *eyeroll*), and was getting used to the current version but this new grill and the softer bodylines has turned up my nose. Is no bueno. Since the 70's Dodge has often suffered from one problme universal to it's brands - boredom. Look at the Dodge Intrepid of old, and the plymouth K-cars, Reliants, etc. So much boring design work. I fear it might be hapening again. Oddly no one really makes anything that has me going ga-ga anymore - not since Dodge goobered up this charger anyway. Don't get me wrong, it's nice... but a charger isn't supposed to be "nice", is it? A Charger, regardless of what year it's made, is supposed to be a sort of step apart from everything else, not only under the hood, but also as it drives passed you. I think they designed the spark right out of the thing. And that's sad.

• Report this Comment On April 22, 2014, at 12:24 AM, LungsOfSteel wrote:

There already is a 2-door Charger - it's called "Challenger."

• Report this Comment On April 22, 2014, at 2:23 AM, aktundra wrote:

So the grille makes the 2015 Charger less muscular? The Charger has been little changed since its introduction so the recent interior mods and the facelift of a few years ago simply have to evolve. The Charger is still imposing next to an Avalon (haha, as IF it competes against an Avalon, thats hilarious) or pretty much anything else. The Taurus SHO might come close but even with the new nose the Charger still dominates in the muscle car realm. Yes, it does have to have wider appeal but the new look is clean, aerodynamic and bound to catch on. People are not going to NOT choose the Charger, what else would they get? The SRT8 and up-trim Chargers with HEMIs are in a class of their own, dont worry.

• Report this Comment On April 22, 2014, at 10:45 AM, DecaturCentaur wrote:

.....a grill kills the '60s/'70's Chargers muscle-car image in the current eras' Charger? Nothing but laughable......it died with it becoming a four- door....and for Gods' sake, ONLY a four-door! ....the Challenger is almost as big a joke, decent image of a handsome auto on a pigs'......a FAT & BLOATED pigs'.....chassis.

• Report this Comment On April 22, 2014, at 10:52 AM, frebrd53 wrote:

Sorry but Chrysler dropped the ball on the Charger from the very beginning on the re-design. Charger was never ever a 4 door car to do this and use the nametag was WRONG from the beginning. Just as using the 'Plum Crazy" color on the Charger in the year prior to introducing the new Challenger. It was and should have been a color only associated with the Challenger. Now, the "new highly anticipated" 2015 Charger is a joke. The "new" front end is nothing more than a cheap rip off of the Dart front end. And now they want to add the "Cuda" badging to the Challenger. Why is it in the retro market Dodge has a great idea and then sells it short by making stupid mistakes. All of the American car manufactures have fallen way off the mark with their designs. No imagination ! Boring boring boring! Cookie cutter cars, they all use the same accents. I'm sure they will claim continuity, but come on, I guess in the corporate world no one dares to dream or to even have new ideas, Continuity=B S just a bunch of no talent designers that have no vision or maybe are afraid to have it for fear they will be replaced by bosses that just want to ho hum their way through life. It applies to all manufacturers, they haven't had an original design in years.

• Report this Comment On April 22, 2014, at 2:47 PM, LouisTewl wrote:

OK, I try, I REALLY TRY to be respectful to JR, even though he is completely DIS-respectful tp TMF readers/INVESTORS, but, frankly, the only thing that makes him a senior "analyst" are the first (4) letters of that title.

His use of his position to INACCURATELY undermine FCA at every opportunity makes the phrase "click-bait" seem like a complement.

Yes, I DO get weary of warning readers about the JR/TMF anti-FCA bias which is a product of, among other things, their collective long position in Ford/GM/ABFCA (Anybody but Fiat-Chrysler).

To measure perspectives (REFRESHINGLY, I might add), read this article about the same event, from the Wall Street Cheat Sheet (and NO, I do not have any affiliation with WSCS-I am just a retail investor)..:

For further balance, consider that Ford (F), today (4-22-14) at $16.15 is about 11% off it's 52 week high of $18.02, while FCA (FIATY), on the other hand, at $12.50, has broken through, yet again, it's recently achieved 52-week high of $12.41.

The Market doesn't LIE, and the Figures don't lie, but Liars figure. Enough said.

• Report this Comment On May 31, 2014, at 8:14 AM, XJLR1 wrote:

They did take the fun out of the front of the car. Thanks for that bland euro style Fiat. Hopefully the sleepers will be awakened again.

Too bad the new Challenger Interior is not making it into the Charger either.

Sure it will be a good car. Just not as fun looking.

DocumentId: 2921375, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 7/25/2014 7:45:40 AM