Slides: This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

I gave a talk at the MoneyShow in San Francisco over the weekend. It's called "This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things," and it's about why the average investor does so poorly.

Here are my slides. Almost all of it is material pulled from past articles. Enjoy.

• Report this Comment On August 29, 2014, at 12:52 PM, BigDanRibar wrote:

Very nice. Thanks.

• Report this Comment On August 29, 2014, at 8:09 PM, Calm wrote:

This slide show was very enjoyable. Thanks.

• Report this Comment On August 29, 2014, at 8:23 PM, pirro wrote:

Thanks - I wish fool.co.uk did motivating, positive and grounded articles like this.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2014, at 3:35 PM, dragonmonkey wrote:

My favorite is the rainfall correlation statistic. Could be big money there...

• Report this Comment On September 04, 2014, at 11:57 AM, Ripper14 wrote:

Morgan,

Nice slide deck. One question I have that I've never been able to figure out is in regards to your slide #9 that shows 89 times a 10% decline, 41 times a 15% decline, etc.

What exactly does that mean? Over what time period is the decline figured? Certainly we haven't had a daily loss of 15% 41 times. And I don't think we've had a yearly loss of 15% 41 times. Or have we? Or is it a 15% loss over a period of "x" days with no up days in between? I guess I've always heard these numbers thrown about, but never really understood how they were figured.

Thanks!

• Report this Comment On September 04, 2014, at 1:52 PM, VieuxCarre wrote:

Hey, how come no one ever told me rain fall was positively correlated with stock returns? Maybe the fool could start a weather/investing newsletter?

(seriously, great slides.)

• Report this Comment On September 04, 2014, at 2:33 PM, zymok wrote:

Keep spreading the word, Morgan.

• Report this Comment On September 04, 2014, at 2:57 PM, danpreone wrote:

I am not able to see(click) the slides. Any issue ?

• Report this Comment On September 04, 2014, at 4:13 PM, tbemrose wrote:

This (Tom started over from scratch in 2012) is important to know. As a newcomer to Stock Advisor, I look at the rating comparing David to Tom to the S&P, and without any additional info, one assumes all 3 numbers are from the same starting point and David makes Tom look bad. Did David reset at that time, or perhaps is his score counted starting at that point?