Palm's Pre: Dead on Arrival?

Palm's (Nasdaq: PALM  ) Pre smartphone, feature-rich though it may be, appears doomed.

A recent survey of 4,292 adult smartphone buyers by ChangeWave Research found that only 4% of respondents planned to buy the Pre in the next six months. By contrast, 37% planned to buy Research In Motion's (Nasdaq: RIMM  ) BlackBerry, and 30% planned to buy Apple's (Nasdaq: AAPL  ) iPhone.

"No way. I love my iPhone and the way it's integrated with my [MacBook] Pro makes it easier," reader John Cummings wrote in response to my Twitter poll asking iPhoners if they'd switch to a Pre.

Where are you now, Roger McNamee?

All your Pre belong to us
McNamee, you may remember, is the Palm board member who boldly predicted doom for the iPhone last month. "You know the beautiful thing: June 29, 2009, is the two-year anniversary of the first shipment of the iPhone ... Not one of these people will still be using an iPhone a month later." [Emphasis added.]

Not according to the numbers, sir. The iPhone and BlackBerry are just too popular. Only 4% of current RIM customers and 1% of Apple customers would switch to the Pre, ChangeWave reports.

That's telling. For months before iCampers lined up for the iPhone in July of 2007, would-be users oohed and aahed over prospective features. When a TV ad suggested that the iPhone would be able to sense where it was, the Web lit up with rumors that Apple had added a GPS device. Yours truly was interviewed for a New York Times story about the buzz.

So enticed was the iHorde that buyers lined up to switch carriers to AT&T (NYSE: T  ) . Last year alone, 30% of those who purchased the new iPhone 3G switched from other carriers.

No one knows for sure how many users have switched to Ma Bell, but Apple had sold more than 17 million iPhones as of January.

Today's Pre isn't as buzzworthy as yesterday's iPhone. Few users are willing to switch. Enthusiast Eric Wu responded to my poll by saying that he has been waiting for Pre "since CES."

But when asked if he'd be switching from an iPhone, he clarified. "Nope, I'm with [Sprint] on their SERO plan -- can't be beat. Just hope I can use it with the Pre," Wu wrote.

Apparently Wu's situation is all too common. ChangeWave reports that only 1% of respondents to its surveys would switch to Sprint Nextel (NYSE: S  ) , Palm's exclusive carrier for the Pre.

Therein lies the difference. The iPhone was bigger than AT&T; the Pre is apparently smaller than Sprint. Of course, we won't really know till the Pre is on the shelves.

A Callista Flockhart opportunity?
Palm is preparing for that day by positioning the Pre between the iPhone and the BlackBerry in what CEO Ed Colligan calls the "fat middle of the market." Trouble is, no one knows exactly what that means.

Even more troubling is the math. If 37% of surveyed smartphone buyers want a BlackBerry and 30% want an iPhone, Palm gets to slug it out with Nokia (NYSE: NOK  ) , the global smartphone market leader, and Google's (Nasdaq: GOOG  ) Android partners for the remaining third.

I suppose a third is, technically, a "fat middle." But with well-heeled, well-funded competitors, it looks to be a whole lot more like Calista Flockhart's waistline during awards season.

And yet the Pre has its fans. "I would dump the iPhone for the Pre in a heartbeat. The Pre has *so* much more to offer," said reader Ken Snyder. Yet even he equivocates, saying that neither Sprint nor AT&T operates in his area. "I will pick up a Pre when it goes GSM or Verizon," Snyder concludes.

I'll grant that Palm deserves kudos for what we've seen thus far. Its webOS software offers a fast track to mobile application development and deployment -- Pandora created a version of its system for the Pre in just three days -- and its card-deck navigation scheme is more innovative than anything I've experienced on my iPhone.

Too bad neither is enough to make good on McNamee's hopeful prediction. Not by the numbers we've seen so far.

Google is a Rule Breakers recommendation. Apple is a Stock Advisor selection. Sprint Nextel and Nokia are Inside Value picks. Try any of these Foolish services free for 30 days. There's no obligation to subscribe.

Fool contributor Tim Beyers had stock and options positions in Apple and Google and a stock position in Nokia at the time of publication. Check out Tim's portfolio holdings and Foolish writings, or connect with him on Twitter as @milehighfool. The Motley Fool is also on Twitter as @TheMotleyFool. Its disclosure policy is alive and well, thank you.

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2009, at 4:05 PM, DaveRensberger wrote:

This is spot-on. Palm had every advantage for years, but they simply waffled for too long and missed their window. Having been at 3Com for a number of years, I have to imagine that this was due to the arrogant execs (many of whom were inherited from 3Com) who are too busy to notice the reality right outside their window. Comments like "Not one of these people will still be using an iPhone a month later" make it obvious that this mentality is still alive and well (er.. maybe "sick" is a better word).

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2009, at 4:19 PM, Aryabod wrote:

Dream on as much as you can. The Pre is not just a superior Smart Phone it is a game changer, one that should have Apple sweating. Comparing an existing Smart phone with one that is yet to be released is stupidity to the nth degree. A good example would of why this survey is flawed would be like comparing Mohammad Ali with a young Cuban phenomena who has impressed numerous US trainers. The problem with is that everyone knows Mohammad Ali, however they have never seen Cuban phenomena. There is no way in hell an unknown phenomena could ever beat a well known champion until he is put in the ring. When that happens, which is not too far into the future, the results will manifest themselves and I have no doubt the Pre will end up being the reigning champion, however what remains to be seen is if they can keep the Champion ship belt for longer than the iPhone did.

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2009, at 4:48 PM, gottesma wrote:

For what it's worth, I'm with Verizon right now, and I'm looking to switch to a smartphone.

The original plan was to get a Blackberry Storm, but it turned out to be an unmitigated piece of garbage. Current plan is to switch to Sprint for the Palm Pre.

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2009, at 4:52 PM, AZ123 wrote:

Don't you think that your "Dead on arrival" statement is a bit premature, considering that Palm hasn't yet released a single TV commercial for the phone? Those responding to the survey also haven't seen a single commercial or print ad for the product, so let the snazzy marketing campaign (think Apple and their ads) kick in before you make as brazen a statement of "DOA," as you chide McNamee for making in support of the Pre.

Besides, for those of us who bought Palm at around $2/share, we're sitting pretty and we know that they'll sell enough of the Pre to existing Sprint users who will want to have the best available smart phone for their carrier. That'll also make the stock rise some more during the initial release of the Phone.

And if the stock starts to drop because of glitches or whatever, we sell with a gaudy profit in pocket. No harm, no foul in the trade game.

But, I commend you for doing what you can with this negative article, to try to lower the stock price through negative press. You must want the price to drop so you can buy plenty of Palm stock and cash in upon the release of the phone.

Tim, do you really think we're that stupid? Thanks for playing, though!

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2009, at 5:16 PM, LouieJunior wrote:

I'm a Blackberry user -- I do hereby testify that I will not change to a Pre -- or to Sprint for that matter. Both firms are has-beens. No amount of advertising is going to change my mind. I agree with the author -- Yes it will be DOA.

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2009, at 5:26 PM, sprintrocks wrote:

Best of luck to the Palm Pre. When people see its capabilities, they will switch......'cause it has a keyboard you can actually use.

And the Iphone apps store? Blackberry has had one of those for years with over 10,000 apps available, and if you want to find an app for a Windows mobile phone, go to handango.com

The iphone is a fad, like the RazR was, and after 2 years, it is about to be replaced!

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2009, at 5:50 PM, blisterpeanuts wrote:

I agree with the first poster--the Pre has some good ideas but it's looking too much like a last gasp, desperate attempt by a failed corporation.

I've been using a Palm handheld since 1998 and I can't live without it. However, I've also watched Palm stumble on many occasions. The Tungsten 3 handheld was the pinnacle of Palm technology, and they followed up with rather mediocre successor models. The Treo was great in its day, yet they never implemented wifi networking on the PalmOS models.

Also, Palm has let their existing customer base languish with an outdated operating system that has not seen any improvements in years. The Tungsten series can only work with 1 gig SD cards, and mixed results with (unsupported) 2 gig cards. We live in a 4 and 8 gig world and Palm has fallen behind in this area.

Speaking of cards, note that the Pre does not have a slot for a memory card. Meaning that like the iPhone, you're stuck with the internal memory. Why, was it that hard to add a MicroSD or SD card slot? Did they lay off all their engineers from the Treo/PDA days?

Perhaps the worst mistake is that Palm did not think to include compatibility with existing Palm programs, thus annoying millions of what would have been guaranteed customers and eliminating access to thousands of old apps.

Recently they got the message and have announced a 3rd party product, for extra cost, that runs old Palm apps, but it's indicative of the bean-counter mindset of the people currently running Palm that they didn't do it right in the first place.

I think quite a few early adopters will snap up the Pre when it comes out, but the company's recent track record does not instill much confidence that the phone will be supported 2-3 years from now. It's sad to see Palm end this way, but fortunately there are alternatives....

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2009, at 6:04 PM, supervillain wrote:

4K people huh?? whats that like .0001% of the market? click that link above, go read any tech blog, search google. and by the way, iPhone & Storms millions of users make up less that 1% of the total market share. there is PLENTY of room for PALM and several more phones just like it. try doing a little research before you write some crappy article about about some BS survey company that no1 has ever even heard of. Side by side the pre will own both of those phones. but it does not matter because ALL 3 will continue to thrive in todays market.

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2009, at 6:20 PM, glamajamma wrote:

Motley Fool talking smack about the Palm Pre or Palm stock? That is not a surprise.

I think the MF's attempts to impact stock prices are getting questionable and possibly unethical.

"Fool contributor Tim Beyers had stock and options positions in Apple and Google and a stock position in Nokia at the time of publication."

Oh OK.

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2009, at 7:53 PM, AllenStraith wrote:

Something no one seems to understand, the Palm Pre (unlike the Blackberry Storm/iPhone) WILL be for other carriers, and there is no word on how long the exclusiveness lasts. But also, survey's can be misleading: questions can be asked in such a way to get people to vote one way, or the people asked may not be the people who will buy it, or any other factor not known. Now I don't think the Palm Pre will be an iPhone killer (at least not by itself) but I do think the Palm Pre will sell amazingly well on Sprints network, which is said to be around 49 million customers (currently).

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2009, at 8:47 PM, ADGrange wrote:

I question the survey's validity. I've thought about an iPhone, but it lacks features that I want. By all accounts, the Pre looks like a possible game changer. I'm planning to get the Pre when it's available on Verizon.

• Report this Comment On April 15, 2009, at 1:59 AM, ShaunVFX wrote:

It sounds like everyone here is worried that the Pre might actually succeed? And who is defining success anyway? Is success beating the iPhone? I think not.

If the Pre is able to prove that WebOS is a good platform, the other phones they currently have in their pipeline will prosper with better features and a more finely tuned piece of hardware. Some smaller, others without physical keyboards and added other features. This is something the iPhone doesn't offer--- flexibility and variety(it's the spice of life!) in the hardware.

Wouldn't it be neat if there was a smaller iPhone? or one with a slide-out keyboard? How about one that had tactile buttons for more of a gaming phone?

Has anyone tried using the Nintendo emulator on their iPhone? It's awesome! but it would be wayyyy more awesome if there were a directional pad (maybe slide out?) and a couple buttons on the opposite side with some other buttons on the edge of the phone similar to the 'L' and 'R' buttons on the super nintendo controller.

What I am trying to say here is that why not give more options instead of simply what the screen and OS have to offer---the shell in which all of that lives can offer more appeal for certain uses maybe one is more of gaming style case where the other is like a camera with shutter buttons built in--- maybe one is really compact and it operates more like a flip phone where the screen folds in half on hinges..... its like Audi and Volkswagen-- they take pretty much all of the same powertrains and put them in different cars to do different things.

The one thing Palm is great at, is making phones. The hardware on their previous phones are quite great but obviously using an old OS that is in dire need of a new polish. Management has had a wake up call and I think we will be seeing the next era in smartphones/computers in the very near feature from all of these companies including Palm(even Garmin!). This competition is healthy why do so many people on here hate on everything but Apple? It's scary! Communist even!

If you think about it, aside from being able to write programs efficiently and run super intense graphic editing and animation/multimedia software--- these smart phones can pretty much do anything you or I would typically do on a computer and probably accounts for what 99% of what the average person does on a computer. To have that power in your hands is truly amazing.

After Adobe flash implements the mobile versions adapted for the new OSes (iPhone, Android, WebOS, etc.) there won't be much more to add when it comes to a browsing experience. That is pretty much all I do unless I am running Photoshop! (heck maybe even the new Photoshop express website could be accessed on the phone after the flash adaptation is done)

I wouldn't be surprised if MS Silverlight is adapted as well.

So anyway, back to my original point. If the Pre sells a good number to existing Sprint users (like myself) who have been waiting for a phone that can actually do this stuff easily (better than WinMos and Palms OS and standard Ghettoberries) and also attract some people away from T-Mobile and Verizon (please... the Storm? that phone is sad) they will be in good shape. Roger McRetard spouting nonsense about every iPhone user leaving their phone is just that... nonsense, I'm glad he doesn't work for Palm and is only an Investor.... That said, there will be a number of 1st gen iPhone users that will realize they can get a new phone for a lot less a month after being stuck in a 2 year contract with an outdated iPhone and go with the Pre, many will upgrade to an iPhone3G or whatever the new one will be.

For example, my wife and I have an Unlimited Data, Text, GPS, Video, and Picture plan through Sprint with 1600 shared minutes (we never get close to going over), mobile to mobile (obviously!), free nights after 7pm (isn't everywhere else like 9pm?! geez I do most of my talking after 7pm but before 9pm) and free weekends. What do we pay? 110 per month total... not each, but total. After taxes it's like 115--- my buddy and his wife have iPhones and their bill is pretty hefty. The plan I have is indeed compatible with the Pre.

• Report this Comment On April 15, 2009, at 4:37 AM, seigex wrote:

You can't be serious. I really hope this piece of Apple fanboy garbage isn't considered honest journalism. How can you go on to say that the Pre is dead on arrival before it has ... I don't know ... arrived?

Prior to the initial release of the iPhone, you could have run the same poll of RIM and Palm Treo users switching to the iPhone and (ugh!) AT&T and probably would have come up with the same results, especially amongst Verizon users. Why don't you at least wait for a release date and price to be announced before you trash it.

Sprint, just like AT&T (cingular/pacbell) has some skeletons in its closet. But, I, as a long time Sprint user, know Sprint now far exceeds AT&T (also as a previous AT&T/iPhone user for a month before I switched back due to its spotty service in a major city in Southern California) in quality of service, customer service, and definitely in price. You can't tell me with AT&T and the iPhone you can get unlimited phone, data, TV, GPS, Text, NFL Live, etc for $99, however with the Pre you can.

Lets talk about the Pre and the iPhone. You have TRUE multitasking, a better interface, a keyboard, better service.. and the key.. you have they makings of a better supported and more widely available SDK for users and business owners alike to create Apps for the Pre, which is the ONLY thing that makes the iPhone worth a hoot (yes if the iPhone didn't have an App store it would be a glorified iPod classic with a cellphoen duck taped to it).

And if you really want to go into your perception that Palm is down and out, why don't you take a look at Apple prior to the launch of the iMac and the iPhone. Apple was on its last leg for a long time, barely alive with its little Apple fanboy base keeping it from giving up its final ghost. So how you can infer that Palm, who still has a very SOLID user base and whose operating system is used on more than one phone, and also has an existing application base of probably close to 100,000 or more applications that are business-centric, has no chance of surviving and is a lost cause is beyond me.

Also as far as business users go. You are right...the RIM Blackberry is the current phone of choice for them right now; however, the Pre, from its first few looks, will contend with that and take RIM to the mat with its cloud system.

Now, its pretty sad that you wasted your time on such a useless story, but I guess you have to learn some day.

----

seigex

www.mojoDN.com

A Pre-emptive strike on the Mojo developing community!

• Report this Comment On April 16, 2009, at 12:56 AM, Gryphon001 wrote:

I want to break up….I own an iphone 3G. I cannot wait for the Pre and will happily leave my iphone for one. I purchased the iphone not really being familiar with apple and my hope was that they were going to be the white knight that was gaining ground against the Microsoft juggernaut with a solid product offering, decent service and real attention to consumer needs with a great business ethic.

Instead, the iphone has provided a looking glass through which I came to realize apple as a company that has developed a fancy interface to access fewer abilities than what I traded up from in my “Dumb phone”. They warranty everything but what is most breakable on the phone and carry an un-apologetic attitude in the face of not providing some very cheap basic things but because they are necessary for life integration see fit to charge you about $100 per piece. This includes things like an FM player and A2DP Bluetooth for example. The aforementioned are basics that others are throwing into their design for free. Don’t get me started on the musical black hole that is iTunes. I know people who have gravitated towards other players and phones over the iPod/iphone, but because it won’t sync with iTunes they feel they have to keep it in the apple family for the sake of music they purchased. If a company has developed a program and product strategy that forces consumers to stay with them, do I really want to stay with that company? No. I want the ability to decide when Apple is sucking. This is just a brief of my feelings towards apple iphone and I can't be alone. And the proprietary data port drives me nuts. The industry as a whole really needs to develop a standard and follow it

Enter the Palm Pre. Like the new beautiful blond German exchange student in your geography class that looks to be levels better than your current pushy nag like girlfriend from beyond 8mile, she’s got you thinking you might like to date around again. Apple, I think it’s time we see other people, and you can keep all the CD’s I left at your house…

• Report this Comment On April 16, 2009, at 1:11 AM, Gutier wrote:

This is just wrong!!!! Does really Tim Beyers deserves to write in here??? How can he write something so wrong based on a very wrong survey....

This is just sad...and wrong... oh well...thats his career and I am saving a copy of this article so I can read it again in, lets say, July or August... and then we will see what happens.

• Report this Comment On April 16, 2009, at 7:01 AM, palmloyal wrote:

Clearly most people don't even know about the Pre and those who do don't know clearly how it will do. So this article is clearly a ploy to get readers to the site to generate more signups and readers to generate more income from the ads and such (it worked because I am here :) )

Blackberry has done a great job of promoting its devices to the consumer market over the last couple of years after years of being a professional tool. They only succeeded with this because Palm push their awareness of the Smartphones into the forefront of their minds.

As people are more dependent of email on the go (or realizing they can do it on the go), RIM will still get customers if Palm does not sell this is as an email machine to the masses. If Palm can do that and promote it that they don't have to pay the Blackberry email monthly fees, many will abandon RIM at the next contract out point.

Apple has done a fantastic job with the upgrades to the OS and the App store offerings. The iPhone has become (in the open) what Palm has always done in the dark (provide great apps). They made it simple to get the apps as opposed to having to find the apps or be told about them on Palm fan sites (like mine).

So Palm has to make their App store a hit, BUT they have to come out with their revised OS to allow "real" apps to be created. They should have learned from Apple who released the crippled OS and then released the powerhouse that is 2.2 and the upcoming 3.0.

Palm could deliver a KO if they released their "real" OS day one as opposed to delaying it.

It is OK to duplicate the good that Apple did, but why duplicate the bad?

People buy iPhone because it is fun. They buy RIM because it works great with email. The Pre has to be both fun and it must work great at the tasks that people need it to do.

Carl W. Brooks

• Report this Comment On April 16, 2009, at 9:00 AM, fiftylinkslater wrote:

Love what Palm's looking to deliver come summer, but totally agree that Palm's a bit hyped up. Here's a more fact-based argument around the smartphone battle.

• Report this Comment On April 16, 2009, at 12:36 PM, sbvizzo wrote:

The iphone it seems is the gold standard and AT&T and Apple have setup this partnership that has ruined fair game in my mind. Everything in my home is Apple, but Verizon is my network and it is too costly to change, adding to that AT&T's shabby network and I dream. I have a Storm now and it really is not the device I thought it would be, my daughter's ipod touch runs circles around it and my friends iphone's totally make it look inferior. Now enter the PRE, a cool little device that reminds of Apple many years ago.... You know the little brother to Microsoft.... now it seems the shoe is on the other foot and the iphone is the literal PC of the day and everyone is trying to compete. It comes down to this... Verizon gets iphone, I get one... immediately, if not I wait until Verizon releases PRE because they will, then I get one..... Remember those cool little Visor products before Palm bought them out???? I am rooting for Palm to succeed with this device because I really love tech and the new rules

• Report this Comment On April 17, 2009, at 11:40 AM, jmueske wrote:

I don't agree with the surveys. After all, it's not released yet! For comparison sake, what did the iPhone surveys say prior to release? I bet they were also dismal compared to actual numbers after release. I'm hoping the Pre will find similar, or even better, success. After all, comparing the Pre to the iPhone is apples to oranges - iPhone is expensive hardware, with an expensive data plan required, the Pre is probably neither. Crackberry? Don't even get me started....seems like the Pre's a winner to me. Now if I could simply buy one, we'd know for sure.

• Report this Comment On April 17, 2009, at 1:41 PM, ftarnarider wrote:

i waited for the 3g variant of the iphone before i paid my hard earned dollars. as a device, apple itouch to be exactly, it is great. as a phone it is horrible. the sound quality is not great and at&t is horrible where i live (sf bayarea). i work in downtown sf and i can never keep a 3g connection if i have one at all. the lack of multi tasking on the iphone is the real killer for me. i know they will eventually have it but why is apple two generations behind other phones in features? horrible camera, no camcorder feature. phones have had these for years! palm pre is definitely going to fit in my palm, pun intended. no more att for me.

• Report this Comment On April 17, 2009, at 5:56 PM, SeanBlader wrote:

I've been on AT&T for 13 years, and in the last year the service has gotten weaker as more and more iphones have started taking up my network. I've had no less than 7 different phones with them over those years, the latest being a Nokia N95-8gb. Having had 3 Palm devices closer to the turn of the millenium, I am now ready to switch to Sprint since everything I've heard from current Sprint customers has been nothing but good. So I'm going to have a nicer phone, a better service, and a cheaper bill. What's not to like at the end of the month?

Maybe that survey data needs to be double checked when more than 4% of their sample knows the Pre exists. It's probably more likely that 37% want a physical keyboard, and 30% want a touch screen. Sounds to me like that makes 71% of the sample base who would get the Pre if they knew about it.

• Report this Comment On April 17, 2009, at 10:19 PM, TheHague wrote:

No one polled me about the Pre vs IPhone!

I loved my I Phone until it kept dropping calls! Which happened almost immediately! I put up with it (dropped calls and general lack of reliability) for seven months. Then I almost threw it up against a wall when it dropped my most important customers call 6 times within about two minuets! I decided I like the IPod too much to destroy the phone so I just disconnected the service and went back to sprint! I have not used the IPhone for over a year! I will do the Pre as soon as at it is available! I am wishing Palm all the best because I always liked their products, but found other brands that made smart phones! Now I can have Palm with internet, phone and Sprint too! Yippee!

• Report this Comment On April 17, 2009, at 11:52 PM, RushLimbutt wrote:

Nice way to help out Apple. "Dead On Arrival"? What is that supposed to mean? When you take it out of the box it won't function? If that's not what you mean don't use misleading phrases unless Apple is paying you to say them, in which case, kudos - spend your payola wisely.

• Report this Comment On April 18, 2009, at 4:27 AM, Oldmonkey wrote:

I'm on old school programmer schooled in hex, assembler, and PLCs when many readers were in diapers. Only smart phone I've owned is Handspring/ Palm. The 600s died frequently, but the 700P is solid as a rock! Plays well with Outlook, with Kimona does flash and Youtube following Blazer links. My Itouch nano replacement doesn't. Ptunes syncs with EVERY major Jukebox including Itunes. Itouch/ Iphone is tethered to Itunes and doesn't like flash.

Neither Iphone or Itouch currently support Documents to Go or Kimona. Ptunes is limited by Apple to Radio Only function. Hmm, my 2 1/2 almost 3 year old Palm 700P Treo does more & is more functional. Blackberry does not support Ptunes the leading Palm/ Win app for music. Kimona that suports Blackberry, is a Video Idiot Savant that only does video and flash well, but can't organize its way out a wet paper bag for music. Many semi-smart phones support Ptunes, and sync with major jukeboxes. Apple and Blackberry don't.

Guess what my first choice for a new smart phone is?

Other than text messaging, I use EVERY feature on the 700P. With a Lynix core far better than Garnet, Pre is for me. Bet the Chinese support (My second language) is better than Itouch/ Iphone. Got no doubt Documents to Go, Kimona, and Ptunes will come standard on the Pre

• Report this Comment On April 20, 2009, at 10:40 AM, randygrenier wrote:

I have what the talking heads call "over the hill" Palm Treo. I can synch with my Outlook at work from anywhere, check Gmail and Yahoo mail, browse the Internet, play music and videos, use it with the Bluetooth in my car, drive with third-party GPS Navigation software, take infinite notes, so on and so on and so on. I have not felt the slightest compulsion to buy an iPhone.

That being said, I will probably switch from Verizon to Sprint and buy a Pre. It has everything I need and more, and Palm products have served me well. I guess I can live with a slicker interface.

I don't care if Pre beats iPhone or Blackberry in sales. I'm not a sheep of marketing. Beware, the Apple marketing propagandists are everywhere.

• Report this Comment On April 22, 2009, at 10:35 AM, excaliburmini wrote:

The biggest problem with Palm, is they do not have a product (they did show us the future ). They have so much catch up to do with Apple and Rim in a recession it will takes years, even if the Pre is the greatest product on the market. This is called a global recession, with an extremely high unemployment rate. How many buyers will there be without jobs?

Has anyone gone into an Apple store and walked out with software upgrades that totally customized their I-Phone. RIMM, using its own network, not only speeds up communication, but saves the carriers money. No wonder our President loves his Blackberry, we all know the government needs to save money.

DOA, who knows, but the valuation of PALM is so ridiculous, it truly makes me sick. I remember the tech bubble very well…PALM has gone from a little over a dollar to over ten dollars…as I recall, that was the problem in the bubble…why would the stock value be over $6? The gift to Elevation Partners, or even $3.25 where they started. Everyone knew the Pre was coming in the fall of 2008. Everyone just argues about the quality of the future smartphone, remember we have seen nothing yet as technology moves forward and what companies will be the leaders, usually the companies with a big head start...

I only want to know one thing. With the high short interest on a company that does not make any money, how did the stock price break new highs in 2009? I know some analysts say it is all about the pre. These same gentlemen, upgraded the target price from 5 to 10 and higher. Where did 6,7,8 and even 9 go. Momentum can be a good thing, but it should have ended in January.

• Report this Comment On May 28, 2009, at 8:24 PM, AZ123 wrote:

5/28: Palm said the device's operating system, webOS, also allows Pre to synchronize with iTunes, Apple's popular music software, so users can easily transfer music, photos and video to their phone.

5/28: Verizon, the No. 1 U.S. mobile service, will offer Pre in "six months or so," company Chief Executive Lowell McAdam said during a conference webcast.

5/28: Randall Stephenson, the chief executive of AT&T, the No. 2 U.S. mobile service, said during a conference on Wednesday that his company would also like to sell Pre.

Just goes to show that you folks render judgment before knowing all the FACTS...

DocumentId: 874711, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 4/23/2014 9:05:48 PM