Buy These Stocks and Make Money

True story: The other day, I (Brian) received an email with this as a subject line: "Buy these stocks and make money."

Of course, the email ended up touting a $0.04 penny stock with an un-pronounceable name (it looked fake). Apparently, an "analyst" somewhere assigned a short-term "price target" of $1.10 to this stock.

We're liberally applying quotation marks here to reiterate the obvious absurdity of The Stock That Will Return 2,650% in One Month.

Back to real life
Ridiculous claims in the stock market are nothing new, of course, and ridiculous claims from analysts are especially old hat. (Click here for a story about the analysts who pegged Countrywide Financial "outperform," with a $45 price target, in the fall of 2007.)

We'll even go so far as to advise you to fight -- violently, if necessary -- whatever urge you may have to click on the "analyst opinions" tab at Yahoo! Finance. While it may seem prudent to see what the "smart money" thinks of your stock, this page is one of the most dangerous places on the Internet -- truly NSFW, as the tech savvy say. It's not even worth the five seconds it takes for your browser to load the page.

That's because (1) you get no context and (2) nearly every single stock -- surprise, surprise for an industry that makes money by convincing you to buy stocks -- is considered "undervalued." Here are a few notable examples:

Company

Closing Price, Feb. 26, 2009

Analyst Target Price (Mean)

Analyst Target Price (Low)

Qualcomm (Nasdaq: QCOM  )

$33.66

$43.27

$35.00

Sirius XM Radio (Nasdaq: SIRI  )

$0.13

$0.35

$0.10

Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT  )

$16.42

$23.64

$16.00

ExxonMobil (NYSE: XOM  )

$70.95

$83.89

$75.00

Monsanto (NYSE: MON  )

$76.60

$120.10

$90.00

MercadoLibre (Nasdaq: MELI  )

$16.08

$25.26

$12.00

Data from Yahoo! Finance.

While we each own shares of a stock on this list -- Microsoft (Brian) and MercadoLibre (Tim) -- and also see the merits of an investment in Qualcomm, Exxon, and so forth, it's preposterous to assume that every single one of our random sampling of stocks is, on average, undervalued by some 65%.

Please.

But let's talk about you
You opened this article for the same reason Brian opened the email with the same headline: to see which stocks you should buy to make money.

After all, it is a good headline -- direct, relevant, practical, and appears to offer applicable advice. And it plays to a core human emotion: the quick, easy buck.

Yet if it's a quick, easy buck you're after, there are no stocks you can buy to make money. At least, not reliably. And that, to bring us full circle, is the problem with sell-side analyst research. While these five- to 20-page reports can often provide useful insights, they're not reproduced on Yahoo! Finance. Instead, individual investors who won't pay up for premium research are left to divine meaning out of useless, optimistic, one-year price targets.

Again, don't bother.

Buy these stocks and make money
If you're willing to change your mindset, however, then there are stocks you can buy to make money. These are stocks in companies that …

1. Have a sustainable competitive advantage such as economies of scale, high switching costs, or network effects.
  2. Treat all of their constituents -- customers, employees, and shareholders -- as partners in the business.
  3. Are financially strong enough to take advantage of down economies like this one to expand market share, buy up valuable assets on the cheap, and enhance their competitive position.

And we'll add a new trait to that list amid this paralyzing downturn: Exposure to multiple foreign markets, which provide diversification and the potential for faster growth.

One stock to make money
Of course, we'd be remiss, after promising so much in the headline, not to give you at least one stock idea straight from our Motley Fool Global Gains investing service, so here it is: America Movil (NYSE: AMX  ) .

This company is the dominant cellular provider in Mexico and one that's actually seen subscriber numbers increase with new number portability (indicating a significant competitive advantage). It's also shown a willingness to repurchase shares and pay a dividend to shareholders. And it continues to grab market share in Mexico, Brazil, and elsewhere given that it has a much stronger balance sheet than its competitors and has already established 3G networks in most of its markets.

The catch is that while America Movil looks like a promising long-term opportunity, we have no idea if it will make you a quick, easy buck. But if anyone tells you they can do that, they're lying.

In sum
When it comes to investing successfully, look for the four traits above in any stock idea and commit to putting money in the market for the long haul. And take seriously the opportunities abroad. As co-advisor of our Motley Fool Global Gains service (Tim) and a contributing author to the international investing chapter of our most recent book (Brian), we believe that the growth potential of many foreign stocks -- even some of the stalwarts -- could lead to multibagger returns at today's prices.

To see more of our ideas, including our best bets for new money, click here to join Global Gains free for 30 days.

Brian Richards owns shares of Microsoft; Tim Hanson owns shares of MercadoLibre and America Movil, but you already knew most of that. MercadoLibre and America Movil are Motley Fool Global Gains recommendations. Microsoft is an Inside Value pick. No one of the corner has swagga like our disclosure policy.

• Report this Comment On February 27, 2009, at 6:07 PM, bayengin wrote:

Outstanding, I'm a 56 yr old veteren, and would like to congradulate you on hiting all the points.My 92 yr old Dad who was in the banking world and was on a couple of boards, stated to all my brothers and sisters, "If it can go up that fast it can go down Faster". There is no fast money it will always be those with good balance sheet's and the rest is as he would say "Hogwash" I enjoyed your article and keep up the good work.

Warmest Regards Bayengin :http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/02/26/ap6102770.html?par...

• Report this Comment On February 28, 2009, at 2:07 AM, jpjjp wrote:

This post was not worth 1 second of my time!!

• Report this Comment On February 28, 2009, at 2:25 AM, nicko168 wrote:

Based on the past weeks, the stock market has been a place for the guys to rally & show their frustration towards "Robin Hood".So, no matter what stocks u thinking of..forget it....

Ultimately, do you know who's the real fools? Ha..Ha..

Real fools are the one who plunge their own economy to zero together with the $787 billion stimulus plan. Why?

They'll be slapping their own face caused it opens up the opportunities & competition to the "third" world to buy all the "CHEAP" US Companies..Arabi, China, Kuwait & maybe Iran, Iraq etc...

Based on the recent news, US companies are selling off thier valuable assets (technologies, bank etc) in order to pull through the crisis & who are they selling to? Make a guess....AIG went to China, Singapore etc selling off their stakes..Another is selling their US technologies or commodities caused they're ridden by billions of dollars debt....At the end of the crisis, what will the US companies who once holds the supremacy in technologies, banking etc become? "Zero" is my answer...

Who the losers? The real losers are the next generation facing the real US....

There's a old chinese teaching:

"To break one chopstick is easy..

To break a bunch of chopstick, is difficult"

To the real fools, WATCH OUT!!! Ha..Ha...

• Report this Comment On February 28, 2009, at 2:03 PM, amf97 wrote:

CLEAN UP YOUR ACT

• Report this Comment On March 01, 2009, at 1:29 PM, wuff3t wrote:

amf97,

"You promised to name 5 stocks. You named one and then gave it a negative comment."

Where did the authors make that promise? And how were their comments about AMX negative? I missed all of that, somehow.

• Report this Comment On March 05, 2009, at 9:11 AM, MRAZZAN wrote:

"Where's the beef?" is the question that first came to mind when I finished reading this article. You promised to reveal 3 (THREE) stocks to buy that fit the critera you set forth in the beginning of the article. And the other 2 two companies you promised to reveal are...........? You said that you felt this was a good title for this article; well I disagree! I think it is deceiving, misleading and a waste of my time since you only gave a negative report on ONE company. I also hate it when you say you are going to reveal a great stock so I read the long artilce only to find out at it's end that in order to get the name of the stock you have to order one of your newsletters for $200! While you guys are my gurus of the stock market, I'd like to see less "baiting" in your emails!!

mrazzano

• Report this Comment On March 06, 2009, at 2:33 PM, TMFBrich wrote:

Mrazzan,

Thanks for reading, and for posting a comment. I'm confused by your comment; at no point do we "promise to reveal three stocks" .....

We do disclose one stock both Tim and I like at today's prices, America Movil.

Quoting from the text: "Of course, we'd be remiss, after promising so much in the headline, not to give you at least one stock idea straight from our Motley Fool Global Gains investing service, so here it is: America Movil (NYSE: AMX)." The next two 'graphs go on to discuss why we like AMX.

Hope that clears things up.

Foolish best,

Brian Richards

• Report this Comment On March 06, 2009, at 3:36 PM, rhj2306 wrote:

Obviously, these headlines in the Fool's webpage are merely advertising to entice users to buy an additional newsletter. The real question which needs to be addressed is this:

When selling the "original" newsletter (Stock Advisor), Motley Fool promises us the best investing advice available (including the "best" new money buys at any point in time). Why, then, do they continually entice us to subscribe to ever-more-super (and expensive) new products. If Stock Advisor fulfills what it promises, then no additional newsletter should be necessary, i.e. all the best buys should already be included.

Cleary, David & Tom are a lot more interested in growing their business than in providing a valuable service.

Bob Johnston

• Report this Comment On March 06, 2009, at 4:02 PM, anewall wrote:

Dear David and Tom, I must agree with an email sent by Bob Johnston. You are wandering from the path. Originally your newsletters were beautifully clear and informed: unlike any other service/publication I had come across and I was telling as many friends as I could about you. Now, you are becoming more like every other investment service: full of gimmicks, excessive waffle and blatant attempts to get the reader to subscribe to extra this and extra that. The reason I quickly gave up on publications like Smart Money etc was that they were magazines full of pictures of smug people telling you how clever they were, a page where two people disagreed on a stock and lots of advertisements for investment institutions who could lose your money for a fee. The beauty of Motley Fool was its clarity and its honesty. I wonder, have you grown so big, so quickly that you are being forced to come up with ways to pay your growing numbers of staff. Remember it was you two who started this and who made Motley Fool such a success - please return to the path before it's too late!

Andy Newall.

• Report this Comment On March 06, 2009, at 4:05 PM, joechicago wrote:

What a shame. I have not renewed any of my Motley Fool subscriptions. Every single email I get, including this Fool Watch Weekly, is simply and advertisement to get people to subscribe to additional newsletters.

This Fool Watch Weekly is the biggest suspect of this effort. Too bad, it used to be a good, grass roots information exchange. But it has become so crowded and convoluted, that in my opinion it is not worth a second of my time.

Be weary Fools, you may be the next Fool.

• Report this Comment On March 06, 2009, at 4:08 PM, markozar wrote:

Geez- seems like all everyone does is gripe about things. I never read them to say that they would provide 5 great stocks to buy, or 3- and they did mention one good company. They did not "tear it down", I took their comments to mean that NOW might not be the right time to buy- The current market is taking down great companies along with bad companies--- it is up to you to decide if now is the right time to buy any stock- maybe an inverse ETF!

Personally, I got into SKF at 95, but I would not buy it at the current levels-

Think and decide for yourselves and perhaps complain a little less.

• Report this Comment On March 06, 2009, at 4:33 PM, CDKiess wrote:

I agree with about 90% of the posts above. You can figure out where I'm coming from. Since I too have spent much of my on-line time reading these Motley Fool letters, only to end the post having learned nothing, except that if I subscribe to this or that newsletter, I will learn more. According to the many posts I have read on this site, what I could have learned may have hurt me. I am trying to find the unsubscribe link, which used to be in plain sight; being the fool that I am, I CAN'T FIND IT NOW!

Chuck Kiess

• Report this Comment On March 06, 2009, at 4:46 PM, TMFMmbop wrote:

Folks,

This is an 892 word article. 23 of those words (the last 23) invite you to join our Global Gains international investing research service. And the reason we do that is because we thought you might find it interesting to learn more about America Movil for free for 30 days and maybe stick around to learn about the other international stocks we follow. If you don't want to, don't bother. Just take America Movil with you, continue to think long-term, and ignore analyst price targets. Those are the three lessons this article was trying to convey.

Tim Hanson

• Report this Comment On March 06, 2009, at 5:08 PM, omt68 wrote:

Andy Newall!

I couldn't have said it better myself.

• Report this Comment On March 06, 2009, at 5:25 PM, cfool111 wrote:

I read a number of analysts to see what they have to say about the market or about individual stocks, but their opinions conflict and are more often wrong than right, so what am I to do? Subscribe to a good chart service and make my own decisions. But I still read their trash, anyway.

• Report this Comment On March 06, 2009, at 5:28 PM, MyPiggyBank888 wrote:

Lookit! Articles, what do they amount to? I my case an unsolicted observation. I met the fools 6 years ago.

I have changed my name since then, so it does not matter. The fools through hidden gems and stock advisors or something like that made recommendations. Now, I don't have time to learn how to be a great investor, so like the donkey or chimp, I let random suggestion/throws make the choice. During the good times, I made enough to pay my car off, trailer off and my boat at the lake off by fool recommendations. I smiled and said, "I did better than the chimp or donkey who after throwing the dart had no money to invest." Fools, fool on and if I don't get your recommendations by email once a month, I will hunt you down and deliver either a donkey or chimp!

Thank you!

• Report this Comment On March 06, 2009, at 6:05 PM, slickchilli wrote:

I visit this site MUCH less than I did a year ago and it's because of articles like the one above. Obviously you're out of ideas on ways to edify us...so you're turning to scheme tactics yourself.

Seriously - less baiting, more guru knowledge and perspective. Maybe even articles on how new administration policies can affect investments (like the one you did on SIRI).

Thanks

• Report this Comment On March 06, 2009, at 6:06 PM, BigMc12 wrote:

David & Tom,

If the headlines to your article is not a "promise" what do YOU call it?

WE call this "deceptive advertising"!

We expect to read the article and see the 3 stocks that you headline implies are in here - but you only list one.

You aren't going to gain any fans or subscribers to your newsletters by being deceptive - as you can see by these comments.

I think you are hoping people will sign up for your newsletter and forget to cancel before the 30 day grace period.

I have tried newsletters from the fool recently and when I tried to remove myself before the 30 days free trial expired I was promised that I would not be billed but I was billed. I had to send an additional 3 emails to get these charges reversed.

Very Deceptive Tactics Indeed!

• Report this Comment On March 06, 2009, at 8:01 PM, wisterialane wrote:

Oh brother. They still don't get it.

• Report this Comment On March 06, 2009, at 11:13 PM, bobbysus wrote:

Alice in Wonderland! I looked at a tech stock from 3 different so cal;led analysts. One said buy, one said hold, one said sell. I use the IBD exclusively, try to integrate the information and toss out the crap.

Fool is looking like other financial publications. No sooner do I log in and here are other invitations to buy additional info.

• Report this Comment On March 06, 2009, at 11:16 PM, LeeSS wrote:

I fully agree with Bob Johnston and Any Newall.

Isn't there a Consumers Association, or Advertising Standards Authority where we can complain against such deceptive advertising?

Further, if the Fools offer a 30-day free trial, they should not charge the public upfront for 1 year, and then take their own sweet time to refund when we do not wish to proceed with the subscription.

This is truly deceptive, and should NOT be allowed.

May be we should all send our complaints to Congress.

• Report this Comment On March 06, 2009, at 11:40 PM, roadmasterst wrote:

Well they got my first $100.00 but no more. Too much hype and misleading headlines.

• Report this Comment On March 07, 2009, at 12:10 AM, manlymanliness wrote:

I have to agree with a lot of the posters here in spite of Tim Hanson's defense. The article's title leads you to believe that the Fools are gonna throw a few free bones our way. But like most Fool articles, it focuses more on concepts and promos than anything related to its title. The title was bait, so let's not try to dance around that.

That all being said, these guys do sometimes throw free stock advice our way. They don't have to do that. And some of their newsletters are relatively cheap. I think SA's like $99/year? That's really not that bad considering what you get.

Also, when I was freaking out a couple of years ago when the stock market was dropping 30% over a 6-month stretch, these guys all listened to me and encouraged me. I think I wrote ten Fools and they all wrote me back. I'm glad I listened to them and didn't panic.

So it's a mixed bag, IMO. They could cool it with the bait in their titles, but they do provide a good service overall.

• Report this Comment On March 07, 2009, at 12:23 AM, starzzz wrote:

Lots of baiting here, agreed.

But in fairness, I think some of the speed readers out there are confusing "These" in the title with the word 'Three'.

Ya think??

More content less bait, please.

• Report this Comment On March 07, 2009, at 1:18 AM, mmkellman wrote:

I also agree with several postings about baiting subscribers to buy other publications. Seems like they all do it. My question has always been; If all these guru's and so called smart analysts are so good at picking stocks why do they need us to send money for their subscriptions. I use the fool for their commentary on stocks and the market in general. However, I try and do the extra research and read other medium to make even better decisions. But in this market it doesn't appear to work very well. Its obvious to me that we bulls are all in the same boat and its sinking at a rapid pace. Any comment?

• Report this Comment On March 07, 2009, at 1:43 AM, Axelita wrote:

Dear David and Tom:

I'm a new member as of late last year. I was pleased with my membership until yesterday.

I must agree with the respective comments of others above. I recently joined this newsletter and then Motley Fool PRO for around $1,000; honestly, I think it was fair. But, I recently receive another "special invitation" - i.e., "Announcing Duke Street -- the single, most powerful, "advantage" we have as co-founders of The Motley Fool...".

Now you advertise this "Duke Street" membership is the next greatest, inclusive membership with a $12,000 value at the special discount rate to me (before the doors close forever for your special attention) for around $4,300? Are we FOOLs?

With all respect, this is very disappointing and deceiving. I hope during these times you'll stick with your fundamentals and less deceit.

Respectfully,

Marc Perez

• Report this Comment On March 07, 2009, at 2:09 AM, heball wrote:

Like most anything, I take theese things with a grain of salt and do my own homework when it comes to recommendations. For example, you read all the hype about oil supply and demand, how inventories are in surplus. The demand is not there, etc... I still fill up my truck every two weeks, so I research oil pipelines/terminals and look for companies with strong paying dividends. And doesn't cost me no major subscription fee in the process. Airlines still fly, ships still get underway, semis still run, buses too, and trains go down the tracks. Until the market arrives for alternative fuels, oil is in high demand by those of us still employed.

• Report this Comment On March 07, 2009, at 2:13 AM, Bidraja wrote:

You guys likely make more money selling your rubbish newsletter than on the stocks you suggest to "fools"

• Report this Comment On March 07, 2009, at 3:06 AM, Danovitz wrote:

If you no longer want to receive the Motley Fool news letter, you simply click the link named E-mail Subscriptions at the bottom of this news letter.

• Report this Comment On March 07, 2009, at 9:55 AM, commonwizard wrote:

I am no expert, but looking at the technicals on these charts like MSFT and EBAY they do not look like they are even close to turning around for a buy. I would save my money for when that happens, if it even does. We are in big trouble in this country.

• Report this Comment On March 07, 2009, at 10:38 AM, Robsfools wrote:

Like others here, I agree, too many constant offerings and not enough substance. One reads on and on and on, only to get to the bottom line. "If you give us more, we will still ask for more".. I gave my $99. and that's all. Period. It's hard for me not to relate to that nut job Kramer when I'm reading on forever to get to "the point". Fluff and more fluff.

• Report this Comment On March 07, 2009, at 10:50 AM, Rasko wrote:

After becoming a subscriber to many TMF services, I learned not to spend too much time reading the teaser articles, as the real value is in the analyses and recommendations in the actual newsletters. I have had a few misses (for now), but already many great hits because of TMF recommendations. Who knows in what crazy "sure-winners" I would have invested without TMF advice, which is the exact point of this perfectly acceptable article. The real foolish bottom line is this: In five years from now, I will tell you whether the recommendations deserved a thumbs up or a thumbs down. Fool away.

• Report this Comment On March 07, 2009, at 12:46 PM, RayJoe14Jesus wrote:

After reading these comments you would think that these complaining individuals just starting reading and subscriding to the Fool's way of thinking? There is no silver bullet to success and investing. Those of you who sit and want the Fool team to do your homework for you should be ashamed. Do you pay for a service...Maybe...that service is then given and suggested...Period. My only recommendation to the Fool writing team would be to place 'Nuggets' of there past writing's of books or articles that have led them to there way of thinking and how they might of come-up with a particular recommendation would be helpful and what criteria they are using with real-time actuals. This past article is close...

God Bless,

Ray Joe

P.S. I did not read where 'three recommendations' were going to thrown-out or given'

• Report this Comment On March 07, 2009, at 6:30 PM, rzelred wrote:

I agree with Bob Johnston and others. I am sick and tired of the advertisements for more and more newsletters. I am a subscriber to the Stock Adviser and these teaser articles for more newsletters are a big distraction. It is very annoying and every one I read cheapens the entire Motley Fool experience more and more.

Ray Zeller

• Report this Comment On March 07, 2009, at 7:14 PM, tmhende wrote:

I don't see the reason for the complaints, I've read motley fool enough to know that a headline like "buy these stocks and get rich has got to be a tongue in cheek refrence to a pie in the sky promice .

• Report this Comment On March 07, 2009, at 8:24 PM, exactalady wrote:

dear fools: I may have been one of your first ubscribers back when you were truly admirable. I recommended your picks to my investment club,one of whose members was a guy named Bob Kirby. You may have heard of him. If not, google him; I saw you at the Distinguished Speakers series in Pasadena and was a real fan. Now I find it difficult to get past all of your advertising and self praise to find any meat in your newsletter.I miss the real Motley Fool

Gretchen Seager exactalady@aol.com

• Report this Comment On March 07, 2009, at 9:22 PM, crkwader wrote:

I have to agree with the masses above in that the brothers have left the path are becoming snake oil salesmen. I have been a subscriber of the Stock Advisor for several years and have been pretty happy with it, but please stop sending me teaser emails for other newsletters. I am starting to agree with the statement of one poster above in that the all the letters is where the money is made, not in stocks.

I will give them credit for MVL and this stock has held up remarkably well considering the current times. It should bounce back nicely when the market does or if it does.

I am going to make a prediction right here and now. This market is much worse than what the government and the analysts lead you to believe. This country may not recover and then start to splinter like Russia. If we do not start creating blue collar jobs again and stay away from the service society montra, we are sunk.........damn, I hope I am wrong!

• Report this Comment On March 07, 2009, at 11:13 PM, Sebastian88 wrote:

Thanks for the article, I learned a lot and found out about another company I was unfamiliar with which I'm now doing more research on.

To all you nay sayers out there, if you don't like it then do your own research. Nobody is forcing you to invest your money anywhere you don't want to.

I've read many articles and news letters from the fools here and some suggestions/recommendations I 110% agree with and others maybe a little less. These guys bring some fantastic companies and opportunities to the plate and I've been very impressed.

• Report this Comment On March 08, 2009, at 12:26 PM, jwsills wrote:

A couple of things: First, in my opinion the market is down simply because everyone started believing the media hype and started selling. Second, the market is at or near rock bottom and no one is buying.

Third, The Fool is part of the media, i.e., lots of hype. We are not reading ads for lawn mowers, we are dealing in our families futures. At the current pace, I expect to start seeing ads for "male enhancements" before long.

I subscribe only to "Hidden Gems". I don't like some of the changes over the past couple of year, but all in all it's okay. My portfolio is down 82% as of yesterday, but I haven't sold a thing.

Please continue to stick with just the info, advice and facts. Skip the typical everyday "media tricks".

• Report this Comment On March 08, 2009, at 2:18 PM, ibh1111 wrote:

Come on you lot, it was an enlightening and somewhat entertaining article. So, they push their own boat out but who doesn't. Obviously they got your attention and that's what good writing does. Would you have read it if all they did was lay out the bare facts? Let's face it, fools' give us entertainment and education. I certainly learnt a lot in the last crash,namely don't buy on margin and diversify, hey but wasn't that what fools were saying in the first place?.

• Report this Comment On March 08, 2009, at 3:41 PM, jaaboo wrote:

Regarding all of the negative comments: Vote with your feet. Vote with your wallet. It's still a free country, I think . . . Regarding the market: I think it is time to start buying again.

• Report this Comment On March 08, 2009, at 11:30 PM, jwsills wrote:

In response to ibh111, yes, the Fool is supposed to get our attention, but for a serious purpose, not entertainment. For that I can read National Enquirer. When I keep reading "publicity stunts", I tend to start looking for other sources of advice.

jaaboo is correct in that it is time to start buying, which will bring the market back. I bought alot when the market was down and will probably keep buying. I may have to wait abit, but my recovery will be much quicker than most.

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2009, at 3:11 PM, cutter30 wrote:

I subscribed hoping to get good info regarding these crazy markets, and I feel like I'm wasting my time clicking in teaser headlines and fending off numerous unwanted "special offers"

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2009, at 12:03 AM, flowers17 wrote:

I agree with Bob Johnson and the other fools like myself. MF must be desprate and Greedy. MF does not appear to be professional. I am so dissapointed. True, I would like to do well in the market but not at the expense of selling my soul to the Devil. Excuse me I meant MF.

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2009, at 2:06 PM, illumna wrote:

I'm not too offended by the article although I do understand most of your comments that chide Motley Fool for their huge marketing campaigns. I also understand that the Motley Fool people are in the business of making money but maybe have gone a little too far.

A few years ago I purchased a subscription to Motley Fool Stock Advisor because I had absolutely no time to study companys' financials and make predictions. Likewise, the subscription was only about $89 or $100. But then the price raised to $150, then to $192, and so on. It got a little frustrating especially when I only had about $500 to invest so I canceled. Then, as a kick in the face, they offered me a subscription at $99.

I did earn $90 using their investment strategies but I just can't cover the cost of the subscription. I've got college loans, my wife's college loans, mortgage, kids, etc. I realize Motley Fool is in it to make money but as I recently received a huge salary cut, I often feel anchored and can never get ahead. I wish their subscription was just $50. Wishful thinking.

Hey, anyone out there not named Obama wanna pay off my college loans and mortgage? Just kidding.

• Report this Comment On July 10, 2010, at 3:49 PM, pawl442 wrote:

To all the ney-sayers above who didn't like or take the advice above on the stock AMX. Check this out... It was at $25.48 when this article was written. On April 5th 2010 this stock closed at $51.53. More than a 100% gain. Buying 100 shares and just holding would have gotten you a $2,605 gain. On Feb 26th one year after this article, the stock closed at $44.57, giving you a 1,909 dollar gain. A 74% yearly gain is exceptional.