Providence Resources Gains on Another Barryroe Upgrade

LONDON -- Shares in Providence Resources  (LSE: PVR.L  ) have been on a bit of a tear this year, more than tripling on a succession of positive updates regarding the Barryroe oil field off the south coast of Ireland. Providence is the operator of the field and holds 80%, with the remaining 20% held by Lansdowne Oil & Gas  (LSE: LOGP.L  ) , as highlighted by Roland Head a few months ago.

Barryroe was originally discovered by Esso in the 1970s, but not fully developed. As a short video on the Providence website helpfully explains, oil price rises and technical improvements now mean previous discoveries like this are being reappraised. A marketing agreement is already in place with Royal Dutch Shell  (LSE: RDSB.L  ) , which was signed in early 2011.

Six wells have been drilled on the structure recently, of which a number were flow tested. Following this, Providence issued an oil-in-place resource estimate of 1 billion-1.6 billion barrels at the end of July from two reservoir intervals (the Middle and Basal Wealden).

Now Providence has released an oil place estimate of 0.8 billion-1.2 billion barrels for two more intervals (the Lower Wealden and the Purbeckian). Commenting on the announcement, Providence said:

As there is limited reservoir and well test data available over these two intervals, future well data over these two specific zones would be required in order to firm up the final resource estimates. As such, these zones have not been included in the Barryroe dynamic reservoir simulation modelling, which is currently ongoing, with the results expected within the next six weeks.

It is clear that more data are required over the [Lower Wealden and Purbeckian] intervals, however, the numbers are potentially material and provide room for significant resource growth in the Barryroe project in the longer term.

Providence shares rose 1% to 631 pence on the news, while Lansdowne gained 4% to 58 pence. SeaEnergy  (LSE: SEA.L  ) , which owns 21.5% of Lansdowne, put on 3% to 30 pence.

There are plenty of big gains to be made in the oil and gas sector right now, and The Motley Fool has created a free report to help you find them.

Download "How to Unearth Great Oil and Gas Shares" and we'll show how to evaluate a company's prospects and what to look for before pressing the "buy" button. We also highlight an area of the sector we think is set to expand rapidly in the years to come.

Further Motley Fool investment opportunities:

Stuart Watson doesn't own any of the shares mentioned in this article. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days.

Read/Post Comments (0) | Recommend This Article (0)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Compare Brokers

Fool Disclosure

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2006865, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 10/25/2016 8:09:31 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Today's Market

updated 10 hours ago Sponsored by:
DOW 18,223.03 77.32 0.43%
S&P 500 2,151.33 10.17 0.47%
NASD 5,309.83 52.43 1.00%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Better investing starts with a watchlist. Now you can create a personalized watchlist and get immediate access to the personalized information you need to make successful investing decisions.

Data delayed up to 5 minutes