Track the companies that matter to you. It's FREE! Click one of these fan favorites to get started: Apple; Google; Ford.



How British American Tobacco Has Fared During 2012

LONDON -- British American Tobacco  (LSE: BATS.L  ) (NYSE: BTI  ) has gained 4% to 3,165 pence so far during 2012, making the share one of this year's more reliable performers in the FTSE 100. During the same time, the blue chip index has gained 5% and generated a total return of 9%.

The world's second-largest tobacco company, which operates in more than 180 countries, has proven to be quite resilient in the face of a challenging trading environment where industry sales are under pressure.

In February, British American Tobacco's results for the 12 months ending Dec. 31, 2011, reported a successful year for the company. The group's adjusted operating profits, underlying earnings per share, and total dividend for the year were all up by 11%.

Then in April, the group reported an increase in volumes for the first three months of 2012. At the time, Nicandro Durante, BAT's chief executive, said: "We have grown volumes and Global Drive Brands and have achieved good growth in revenue, with continued pricing momentum, although currency headwinds have adversely affected results. It is a strong start to another year of anticipated good earnings growth."

In July, BAT lifted its first-half dividend by 11%; however, sales were flat at 7.4 billion pounds within its half-year report.

More recently, the group reported its third-quarter update. Underlying sales improved 4% during the first nine months of the year, and its four Global Drive Brands achieved overall volume growth of 3%.

BAT currently pays a dividend of 131 pence per share and yields around 4%.

If you are seeking blue chip ideas for 2013 and beyond, "The FTSE 100 Share Warren Buffett Loves" is an exclusive Fool report that names the British blue chip the legendary billionaire investor is backing today, and the investing logic behind his purchase.

You can discover the potential winner Buffett favors right now by downloading this free report while it remains available.

Sonia Rehill does not own any share mentioned in this article. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days.

Read/Post Comments (0) | Recommend This Article (3)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Compare Brokers

Fool Disclosure

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2105365, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 10/28/2016 10:45:07 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Today's Market

updated Moments ago Sponsored by:
DOW 18,207.00 37.32 0.21%
S&P 500 2,138.68 5.64 0.26%
NASD 5,218.73 2.76 0.05%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Better investing starts with a watchlist. Now you can create a personalized watchlist and get immediate access to the personalized information you need to make successful investing decisions.

Data delayed up to 5 minutes