The Best Company I've Ever Seen

Ask my eldest son what he liked most about our recent vacation to California, and you'll get none of the usual responses. Disneyland? Sure. Legoland? Yeah, but it would have been nice to actually use his Lego gift card. Sea World? Cool dolphins -- but where are the sea turtles?

And, really, what's the deal with mixing a beer garden with a giant fish tank? What, no chips and tartar sauce? (Whoops, that's me.)

What our 8-year-old most enjoyed about our trip was the frequent stops at In-N-Out Burger. Me, too -- because In-N-Out is the best company I've ever seen.

Quality your portfolio can taste
So what's so special about In-N-Out Burger? Let me count the ways:

1. It's family-owned. Since 1948, when Harry and Esther Snyder founded the first drive-through in Baldwin Park, Calif., In-N-Out's owners have maintained control over the business. Burger King (NYSE: BKC  ) -- home of the Whopper and the creepy mascot -- is 99% owned by institutional investors such as Goldman Sachs.
  2. It follows a disciplined growth strategy. In-N-Out insists on using fresh ingredients for its burgers and fries. All 200-plus locations are within trucking range of its Baldwin Park beef commissary. Expansion beyond southwest Utah would require freezing and, from management's view, damage the brand. Krispy Kreme's (NYSE: KKD  ) disastrous franchising strategy is all the evidence I need to agree.
  3. It attracts insanely loyal customers. Plenty of novelty restaurants have merchandise. Even Starbucks (Nasdaq: SBUX  ) does. But would you really wear a Starbucks shirt or show off your Starbucks mug in public -- even when you're not jonesing for what's inside? Perhaps a few of you would, but not to the degree that In-N-Out's customers do. Branded T-shirts from the restaurant are everywhere in southern California. Try to take mine, and you'll end up with a fistful of get-your-filthy-hands-off. Few companies short of Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL  ) command similar brand loyalty.
  4. It's different. Go back to that bit about fresh ingredients. In-N-Out likes to say that it sells "quality you can taste." I'll grant that there's no perfect method for testing such a claim. But on a personal note, I find it instructive and thrilling that my food-allergic son -- who can't ingest protein or most preservatives -- can eat fries from In-N-Out. They aren't loaded with the same junk served by McDonald's (NYSE: MCD  ) , Wendy's (NYSE: WEN  ) , or Yum! Brands (NYSE: YUM  ) .

So what's the difference between In-N-Out, the best company I've ever seen, and the best stock idea I've ever seen? Two things. First, while both are great businesses, In-N-Out isn't public and may never be. Second, my top stock idea is neither family-owned nor early in its development. Mr. Market has merely mispriced its multibagger potential. (Say that five times fast.)

Still, there's something truly special about owning a piece of a business that possesses the intangibles that In-N-Out does:

1. Engaged management, preferably via one or more founders with a big ownership stake.
  2. A proven track record of disciplined growth.
  3. An insanely loyal customer base.
  4. A unique angle that allows the business to stand out among its peers.

The Foolish bottom line
Sometimes you'll stumble upon companies that share these traits, as I stumbled across In-N-Out during my teen years in Camarillo. (Mmm, a Double-Double with grilled onions, please.)

Fortunately, you needn't rely on luck. Small-cap firms of In-N-Out's caliber are out there -- and if you're looking for a few ideas, Seth Jayson and Bill Mann search for them daily in our Motley Fool Hidden Gems investing service.

They've hit pay dirt more than once -- yet mispriced opportunities remain. One is a quick-serve specialist that Bill picked for the February 2007 issue. It's even more popular than In-N-Out on Facebook -- and that's saying something, since In-N-Out is ranked fifth among all restaurants there.

What's more, the stock offers an unusual discount to shareholders as a result of an accounting wrinkle. And like In-N-Out, it's self-funded, with engaged owners, and offers a unique dining experience.

And one more personal note: My food-allergic son can eat there, too.

Bill's recommendation is up nearly 50%, but he sees years of high growth remaining. Find out what he's recommending -- and why -- with a 30-day free trial to Hidden Gems.

Fool contributor Tim Beyers didn't own shares in any of the companies mentioned at the time of publication. The Fool owns shares of Starbucks, which, along with Apple, is a Stock Advisor selection. Starbucks is also an Inside Value recommendation. The Motley Fool's disclosure policy will take a chocolate milkshake with its Double-Double, thanks.

• Report this Comment On July 02, 2008, at 11:50 AM, mbelzecky wrote:

That's Double-Double Animal Style!!

My mouth is watering as we speak. Loved In-N-Out when I was out in San Diego a few times in the past five years. I miss it.

• Report this Comment On July 02, 2008, at 2:22 PM, abbeymoney wrote:

In-N-Out has been cult like experience (in a good way) for over a decade. For a while, they only had restaurants in So. California (I live in No. California) and people lined up for hours when the first one opened in my area.

The food is great and is the only fast food my family will eat. When you look in the kitchen you see food items that you could find on a farm (i.e. whole potatoes, tomatoes, heads of lettuce).

My secret dream, short of them going public, is that the family will want to diversify their wealth and will sell to BRK. This is a company that Warren Buffet would love, if it were for sale.

• Report this Comment On July 02, 2008, at 3:48 PM, MTDog wrote:

Shame on you. I almost had a heart attack thinking that In-N-Out was going public.... And now I can't stop thinking about their burgers. Bad thing since I'm sitting here on the east coast.... I may never forgive you for this.

• Report this Comment On July 02, 2008, at 4:44 PM, rbonilla wrote:

good for the midnight munchies...in-n-out always pulls through!!...the super-mex places in long beach are killer also...

• Report this Comment On July 02, 2008, at 7:40 PM, jojopuppyfish wrote:

I lived in SOCAL for 13 years. In and out was good, but Carney burgers's on Sunset BLVD in West Hollywood was my meca for burgers.

• Report this Comment On July 02, 2008, at 8:58 PM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

>>I lived in SOCAL for 13 years. In and out was good, but Carney burgers's on Sunset BLVD in West Hollywood was my mecca for burgers.

Dude.

• Report this Comment On July 02, 2008, at 9:25 PM, mberan wrote:

It's hamburgers. It's So Cal. Forget the So Cal hype. It doesn't fly in the north, midwest.

Put your money somewhere else that isn't hyped. Remember Krispy Kreme. Another hyped...oh my god...I have to have them product.

• Report this Comment On July 02, 2008, at 10:29 PM, 10talents wrote:

I used to live in So Cal (when I was very young). Then I lived in Vegas, then In-N-Out opened a few retaurants there and it was oh so good. Then I moved to Missouri and I was sad. I heard In-N-Out doesn't even have freezers. Now I go back to Vegas every summer and my first stop out of the airport is In-N-Out. Then I eat there at least every other day until I leave. Mmmm. (By the way, second best restaurant is Carl's Jr. [Double Western Bacon Cheeseburger please]).

• Report this Comment On July 02, 2008, at 11:42 PM, twosense wrote:

I hate to rain on "In n out"'s parade, but I am not a fan. McDonalds, has gone to salads, shakes, semi- healthy food. None of those options exists for In n Out. I have heard people rave about their fries. They are OK. A limited menu is my experience. I grew up in the Mid-west and often think/crave for those sliders. But really, they are nothing special other then the urge to want them because you can't have them. On a recent trip to Wisconsin, a group us stopped at a chain called "Cullvers" I think. People were bragging about their burgers. They were good and also a heart attack waiting to happen. People seemed to inhale the fat that oozed from them. I often think of having one of those burgers and if I could have one when ever I wanted, I probably would be 6 feet under already. What's my point: To those of us that In n Out is available right around the corner, it is just another burger joint. As far as an investment, I would look else where.

• Report this Comment On July 03, 2008, at 2:21 AM, TPapp wrote:

twosense said: To those of us that In n Out is available right around the corner, it is just another burger joint.

Are you insane!? I've lived less than a 3 minute drive from In N Out my whole life and it is most assuredly not "just another burger joint". Every Friday through Sunday the only thing "around the corner" is the line. In N Out is the greatest burger West of the Mississippi. Even with the economic downturn they can fill a restaurant on a weeknight, hows that for brand strength?

• Report this Comment On July 03, 2008, at 2:58 AM, fool2fool100 wrote:

I think that twosense ought to just put the crack pipe down and walk away. When a new In N Out opened in my neighborhood, there was a line wrapped around the block for the drive-in and a packed eat in with standing room only FOR THREE SOLID MONTHS after they opened. It is not that insane after three years, but the place never has "no customers waiting". There is always cars in the drive in and people at the counter. If for some personal reason you don't like the food (like if you are a strict vegatarian who hates fries and is lactose intolerant), then OK, don't eat there, but as an investment opportunity in an excellent and very profitable company, it would be hard to beat if it ever went public.

• Report this Comment On July 03, 2008, at 8:43 AM, Fool41andall wrote:

As a fan of great burgers, I am fortunate to be living on the west coast and working on the east. So, I get to enjoy both In-n-Out and Five Guys. Both are excellent in their own ways. If only planes traveled fast enough to have a DD Animal Style with Five Guys' fries...it would be a match made in heaven. By the way, if either ever goes public it will be a downhill slide to mediocrity - Wall Street eventually makes a mess of every restaurant it touches.

• Report this Comment On July 03, 2008, at 11:18 AM, viking2475 wrote:

Sorry, while interesting, and it may encourage private business ventures, IT IS NOT SOMETHING WE CAN USE!

• Report this Comment On July 03, 2008, at 11:19 AM, GolfCourseGuy wrote:

Native of So Cal and have lived here most of my life (couple of assignments to Texas). This is a company that has been at their knitting for 60 years. Great business model:

1. Consistency in everything they do. Even when the CEO died in a plane crash several years ago, the family kept the mission in sight.

2. Low EE Turnover: They pay their staff higher than minimum wage, 20% above normal QSR. They train, train, train their staff.

3. Raving Fans: People are extremely loyal and these fans recruit. My brother in law who lives in Oregon requests their T-shirts every year. They have mobile trucks that attend school function, fund raisers, even golf tournaments and continue to recruit.

4. Volume: Comp store sales grow year over year. Great locations (normally near freeway exits, highly visibility).

5. John 3:16 is on every cup.

Unfortunately for my waist line, there are three in the city that I live in. Trust me, there is always a line. My kids beg me to go.

Bottom line = Home run business model. DD "Animal" agreed! A raving In N Out fan!

• Report this Comment On July 03, 2008, at 2:55 PM, 16prcnt wrote:

yeah, yeah, in n out, feed me Seymour... So ?what is this public co. that's just as great??...

• Report this Comment On July 03, 2008, at 5:03 PM, cbsWTF wrote:

Perhaps I'm spewing the obvious, but we DO know why the T-shirts are so popular don't we? The same reason that every time I find myself in Iowa (don't ask) I pick up a few "Kum and Go" lighters from the convenience store of the same name.

• Report this Comment On July 04, 2008, at 1:15 PM, tonka922 wrote:

I truly wish that people would resist posting articles about privately held companies or put some clue in the title so I would not bother to open this time waster.

• Report this Comment On July 04, 2008, at 8:00 PM, jolavi wrote:

The simple menu also improves margins. Advertising is very small as well.

• Report this Comment On July 05, 2008, at 7:39 AM, karmicnoel wrote:

I guess we all should either live on the "East or West Coast?" Other than that, there doesn't seem to be a worthwhile place to eat........especially in Missouri.

As we all know.......We just fell off the "turnip-truck" yesterday, and "N" on the Nebraska Cornhuskers helmets stands for "nowledge."

But if by chance.....One gets stranded here in St. Louis, or K.C. You might want to eat some "Real Food" as well as enjoying the ambiance.

O'Connells - St.Louis - Best Hamburgers

Crown Candy - The Best Experience.

Canetto's -(Italian) - The Hill -St.Louis.

Chuey's - (Tex-Mex) .....etc.

Ponaks - (Tex-Mex) - KANSAS CITY,MO

Arthur Bryants - BBQ.....Famous Dave could be right next door......Looking for his first customer.

Cascone's -(Italian)- River Market & north

Kansas City. I personally used to send their "sauce" back to (little Italy)-in Baltimore.

Best Steaks - (Kansas City,MO) - Just

ask!

But unfortunately; or maybe for the best, these places will never be franchised....

for they are just great places to eat and enjoy food....."Money" is secondary.

Keep FOOLing Around!

Michael

• Report this Comment On July 06, 2008, at 12:49 AM, luremaster wrote:

Private Company articles are a waste of time.

• Report this Comment On July 09, 2008, at 4:51 PM, rewelchjr wrote:

Somehow the Christian theme was dropped from article. Try checking the bottom of the cups.

As the size of the burger shinks past being worth the effort, InO may be a well run company with nothing to sell but mystique. And, once InO's food slightly cools, the lack of quality of their product is quite apparent.

• Report this Comment On July 11, 2008, at 11:50 AM, artbros wrote:

News you can use? Nope. Give us something we can actually invest in (as opposed to a nice story about a kid that likes a burger joint with a simple menu and fresh ingredients). I like "In-and-Out" too, but it makes little sense to write about it unless you give us a company that has similar characteristics. TMF used to give good solid useful info in their emails. Now it gives nothing but ad copy for subscribing to some other service. In oil industry terms, we are talking "dry hole." -Art

• Report this Comment On July 11, 2008, at 12:14 PM, MrBear100 wrote:

Tim,

Not buyin' it. Fast food is fast food. Fries are fries. Poison. And why are family operations so sacrosanct? - they are potentially exposed to the same problems any other endeavor is perhaps more so - I counsel people on business start-ups; I see it everyday.

Gospadin Medved

• Report this Comment On July 11, 2008, at 12:54 PM, gshubert wrote:

Im new to Motley Fool. I joined to receive investment ideas & advice. Having read many of these TMF "articles", I find many (like this one) to be about companies I cant invest in ending in an advertisement for other TMF services. In other words - useless. The discussions about hambergers reminds me of the meaningful conversations we used to have on CB radio. Is TMF a total waste of time?

• Report this Comment On July 11, 2008, at 1:16 PM, talpickr wrote:

In N Out is great if all you've ever known about hamburgers comes from McDonald's. But if you grew up in the midwest like me you're probably a little spoiled from making your own.

Yes, they have good food, don't get me wrong, but I was in for a severe let down when I finally went to my first one. It's just another fast food burger.

The only restaurant I can think of that this guy could be talking about is Chipotle, since they seem to have rabid fans and fresh ingredients his son could have.

• Report this Comment On July 11, 2008, at 1:43 PM, stocksforever33 wrote:

Value investors should take a look at this demo of a new semantic web search / content organizer application:

Right now it only works with Firefox browsers but a full version will be out in 2 weeks tha will work with IE as well.

The company behind this iGlue product is backed by a public company. http://www.pdv.hu Ticker: PWRV.OB

I think this will be a huge success and PWRV's stock price will appreciate.

• Report this Comment On July 11, 2008, at 1:46 PM, alyshalynn wrote:

Whataburger

learn it

love it

• Report this Comment On July 11, 2008, at 1:47 PM, alyshalynn wrote:

Whataburger

learn it

love it

• Report this Comment On July 11, 2008, at 2:01 PM, Beanfarmer wrote:

Strangely enough, I was eating at Newk's Deli last night in Jackson, MS. In walks a lady wearing an In and Out T-Shirt from Arizona. Advertising of one type or another spreads quickly throughout the world.

FOOL around forever

Joe

• Report this Comment On July 11, 2008, at 2:45 PM, kc4ck wrote:

Some of you fools (not capitalized on purpose) evidently did not even read the article on which you are commenting. You CANNOT invest in In N Out burgers, so it does not matter whether or not it is a good idea.

• Report this Comment On July 11, 2008, at 5:06 PM, regc wrote:

I really enjoyed the personal story (and comments), but the article turned into a disappointing ad/teaser. At least it would be nice to mention what the Feb 2007 Hidden Gems reco was with the ad.

• Report this Comment On July 11, 2008, at 5:27 PM, jhatlarge wrote:

Hope you put that one on MDP as we nee a boost! All these promises and red all over the map, is starting to get dissapointing.. Fool on

• Report this Comment On July 11, 2008, at 5:29 PM, jhatlarge wrote:

If its that good, how about rec. on MDP,

we need to see some green there,

Fool on..

• Report this Comment On July 11, 2008, at 6:38 PM, Morfax wrote:

I haven't heard of In & Out Burgers. I have heard of Hot & Now Burgers, which I thought was owned by Pepsi or Yum, and I was not impressed, although they were OK and cheap. I tried Carls Jr. twice and the service was indifferent and the food mediocre, not as good as Hardee's, which is owned by the same company, I think. Moneywise, McDonalds has been a great investment. Landry's Seafood is my favorite publicly owned restaurant.

• Report this Comment On July 11, 2008, at 8:02 PM, stevenmitchell11 wrote:

What is the point of mentioning In-N-Out Burger and its qualities as a business entity, if it is not a public-traded company and the characteristics that make it a desirable company to own, are not pertinent to your recommendation? What was the point of the analogy? Is it simply a lead-in for a loosely-related recommendation?

• Report this Comment On July 11, 2008, at 11:50 PM, mrcrosseyed wrote:

Five Guys can't hold a candle to In-N-Out. Seriously. The entire experience is different as is the food. In-N-Out reigns supreme.

• Report this Comment On July 11, 2008, at 11:51 PM, mrcrosseyed wrote:

• Report this Comment On July 12, 2008, at 7:39 AM, PonderingItAll wrote:

I could post the name of that "great public company" mentioned, but why not just sign up for the free trial of Hidden Gems? You get to read and even download all the past issues, so you can read all about it. The discussion is worth much more than just knowing the stock symbol.

If you decide its not worth the subscription fee, then you can cancel before the month is up and get your money back. But I bet you don't cancel!

(I don't work for Motley Fool, I'm just a happy subscriber who has made a boatload of money on the Motley Fool picks.)

• Report this Comment On July 12, 2008, at 10:28 AM, duderness wrote:

"...on a personal note, I find it instructive and thrilling that my food-allergic son -- who can't ingest protein..."

You're son is allergic to protein? Humans can't survive without protein. I think this guy is full of sh*t...

• Report this Comment On July 12, 2008, at 10:30 AM, duderness wrote:

• Report this Comment On July 15, 2008, at 9:42 PM, tbozz wrote:

am I the only one who recognizes that the beef industry has been consistently crashing for years... the fact is people are eating healthier, everyone is starting to "cut out red meat" and every year there is some mad cow disease scare and every beef related stock crashes...this is not the 1950's.... Californians (which make up the largest population of vegetarians of any state) are becoming way too health conscious for in-n-out to last much longer, all the negative publicity like the "fast food nation" documentary...I am really shocked that this is a recomendation...just becasue some guys eight year old doesn't have an allergic reaction to the fries is not a reason to invest in a stock....is this how we pick stocks now...please! Beef is just an awful investment no matter how you look at it.

• Report this Comment On July 18, 2008, at 12:17 AM, leeleelee15 wrote:

In-N-out is better than good! Nearly as good on the seam side is

River Gihon rocks!

• Report this Comment On July 19, 2008, at 10:34 AM, Clint10 wrote:

One additional reason for the success of

In-N-Out and the loyalty of its customers

is that they pay their employees substantially more than other fast food restaurants, and promote primaily from within. The result is remarkably better service.

• Report this Comment On July 25, 2008, at 3:19 PM, twb311 wrote:

Tim - Great article, I am a big fan of In-N-Out myself but I can't resist giving you the real facts about one of my other favorite places to eat & my employer, McDonald's.

McDonald's food is not loaded with junk. We are committed to providing families with food choices from real high-quality ingredients. With our Made For You cooking system, orders can be customized to meet nutritional needs and taste preferences. We have a very flexible menu and a wide variety of sizes that makes it easy for our customers to create a range of meal combinations that fall within recommended guidelines for calories, fat and other nutrients.

I'd be more than happy to talk with you more about this at your convenience. In the meantime, keep up the great work at Fool!

• Report this Comment On August 01, 2008, at 5:47 PM, twb311 wrote:

Tim - In-N-Out is one of my favorite places as well, unfortunately they will probably never expand as far east as where I live.

I do feel the need to comment about one of the places you mentioned, another of my favorite restaurants and my employer, McDonald's.

McDonald's food is not loaded with junk. We are committed to providing families with food choices made from real high quality ingredients. With our Made For You cooking system, orders can be customized to meet nutritional needs and taste preferences. A flexible menu and wide variety of sizes make it easy for our customers to create a range of meal combinations that fall within recommended guidelines for calories, fat and other nutrients.

I would love to enter into more discussion about what we're made of at McDonald's. Send me a message anytime. And keep up the good work at fool.com!

• Report this Comment On August 04, 2008, at 9:56 AM, twb311 wrote:

Tim - In N Out is one of my favorite restaurants as well, unfortunately none will be coming to the midwest anytime soon.

That's why I feel compelled to respond to one of your comments about my other favorite restaurant and my employer - McDonald's. McDonald's food is not loeaded with junk. We are committed to providing families with food choices made from real high-quality ingredients. With our Made For You cooking system, orders can be customized to meet nutritional needs and taste preferences. A flexible menu and wide variety of sizes make it easy for our customers to create a range of meal combinations that fall within recommended guidelines for calories, fat and other nutrients.

I would love to share with you what we are made of at McDonald's at your convenience. In the meantime, keep up the great work at fool.com!

• Report this Comment On November 17, 2008, at 6:03 PM, lasvegaslf wrote:

We have several In - N - Out spots here in Las Vegas . I never pass up a chance to eat there . everything is cooked fresh - you wait as or your is prepared for you , and it's worth it ! You can eat inside or outdoors , and their drive thru line at the lunch hour it always out to the street .

I just wish they had more places in the country !

• Report this Comment On February 25, 2009, at 6:25 PM, drhink1 wrote:

Yeah bro, the lines are usually long - because they are about the slowest "fast food" there is. They claim to only cook to order, sure. But when all you offer are burgers and fries, and cars are lined up at the drive thru window beyond the parking lot, you don't need to be a genius to realize you should throw some more burgers on the grill and drop the spuds into the fry making machine to make more sales. Waiting in the drive-thru line at the In-N -Out was always about people watching, not the food (unless you like mushy, grease-soaked french fries). In SoCal, people watching while in line is interesting; most other places - not so much. Probably the main reason why it's just another burger place outside of the golden state. I mean, get a grip people: Wendy's doesn't use frozen beef either. So what.

Here's the insiders joke for those east of San Andreas fault line: A big reason In-N-Out Burger became a cult fad in SoCal back in the day because people wanted the bumper stickers. Really! Those "in the know" cut the stickers to change the word "Burger" to "urge". (“Shaka that, Dude!”) After a few years, the company took the large word "Burger" off the stickers and killed all the fun. But you dudes late to the party missed the joke so it kind of makes you feel duped now, eh? You can go hang that In-N-Out T-shirt in your closet right next to your Razor scooter, fat boy!

• Report this Comment On May 22, 2009, at 11:14 AM, MotleyShark wrote:

so let's see, I can sign up for some stupid free trial or go on Facebook and look up the top 4 restaurants. yeah, tough choice there...

• Report this Comment On May 22, 2009, at 11:15 AM, MotleyShark wrote:

"Your son is allergic to protein? Humans can't survive without protein. I think this guy is full of ..."

I guess he means animal proteins (meat-sources of protein). just a guess.

• Report this Comment On May 24, 2011, at 4:52 AM, Chemsoldier88 wrote:

Five guys vs. In-N-Out. Damn... what a fight. I grew up in SoCal and kissed the ground In-N-Out stood on. Now I live in South Carolina, I have to say, Five Guys is pretty damn epic. What Five Guys has that In-N-Out doesn't is variety. Although, the fact that In-N-Out only has three combo's on their menu (not including the secret menu) makes it a novelty of sort. Those three are all ya need :D

It's a tough choice. But I am standing behind In-N-out. Double-double with fries, BOTH animal style. Can't beat it.

DocumentId: 677409, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 4/17/2014 3:12:46 PM