Everybody Still Hates Vista

Everybody still hates Vista, it seems. A new survey from systems management specialist KACE -- which makes products that watch the health of other computer products -- finds that 60% of respondents won't upgrade to the new Windows operating system. KACE last administered the survey in November; only 50% planned to avoid the upgrade then.

Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT  ) , for its part, won't concede that there's trouble with Vista. To the contrary; the company says that it has sold 180 million licenses of the OS. But that's a misleading statistic: Every copy to box makers such as Dell (Nasdaq: DELL  ) and Hewlett-Packard (NYSE: HPQ  ) counts as a license.

And let's not forget that Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL  ) is selling more Macs than ever and that some users are buying them to run Windows. Technically, this is a victory for Microsoft; but it's probably a much bigger one for Mr. Mac.

Vista's failed success -- you can't call 180 million copies sold a pure failure -- is becoming comical. News.com recently reported that half of the once-vaunted "Wintel" alliance, Intel (Nasdaq: INTC  ) , planned to stay with XP. "This isn't a matter of dissing Microsoft, but Intel information technology staff just found no compelling case for adopting Vista," News.com quoted a source inside Intel as saying.

Apparently they're not the only ones. Good luck, Mr. Softy, you're going to need it.

Get your clicks with related Foolishness:

Fool contributor Tim Beyers didn't own shares in any of the companies mentioned in this article at the time of publication. He seeks the best of tech as a member of the Motley Fool Rule Breakers team. Get a daily dose of Tim's Foolish musings via this feed for your RSS reader.

Apple is a Stock Advisor selection. Dell, Intel, and Microsoft are Inside Value picks. Try any of these market-beating services free for 30 days. There's no obligation to subscribe. Everybody loves The Motley Fool's disclosure policy.

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2008, at 12:34 PM, johnfmarti wrote:

Why should people behave any differently than the Microsoft execs do? Here's what the MS execs have said about Mac and Vista:

Here's what their advertising company does:

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2008, at 1:02 PM, TMFinept wrote:

Tim, you might enjoy hearing about and seeing the results of Microsoft's Project Mojave: http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

Although I doubt any scientific testing was conducted during the process, I will be very interested to see people's faces sink when they discover that they are using the much maligned and apparently absolutely terrible Vista instead of some super secret OS that's actually good.

I've long maintained that anybody who is complaining about Vista at this stage is simply grasping at strings. Consumers have been conditioned believe that Vista is a pig without ever having tried it. In fact, it's a solid OS and a reasonable incremental improvement over XP.

Disclosure: Microsoft shareolder and happy Vista (and Xbox 360 and Zune) user. Really, it's a confluence of good prices or genuine desire to own the products that has resulted in my trifecta of ownership, not simply shareholder-driven purchasing. :)

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2008, at 2:03 PM, whoknewtoo wrote:

"60% of respondents" won't upgrade, eh? Vista if far more stable than XP ever was. It is the fools who buy the Mac propaganda who are bad mouthing Vista and Microsoft. Just more of the class warfare mentality at work. Jealous dopes rooting against the best in the bunch because they never will be.

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2008, at 2:17 PM, johnfmarti wrote:

But then what happens 10 minutes after Mojave. What if you had to live with Vista?

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2008, at 2:26 PM, johnfmarti wrote:

"I would buy a Mac if I didn't work for Microsoft" - Jim Allchin, former Windows Development Chief

Tough to argue with Mr. Vista himself. :)

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2008, at 5:18 PM, OfNoConsequence wrote:

John: Jim Allchin is an idiot and is no longer with Microsoft. Ever ask yourself "why"?

Also John, I didn't care for Vista when it came out, because it's different from Windows XP. I really like XP, it's solid and I can use it in my sleep. But here at work I use Vista and I have to say that from a user's perspective it's not better than XP, but it's also definitely not worse than XP. It's just Different. It does some things better than XP and some things worse than XP. Yes, it has higher hardware requirements, but if you have identical hardware on two systems (make sure the hardware has both XP and Vista capable drivers so you get real comparisons) with XP on one and Vista on the other, asside from the user interface differences you're experience isn't going to be horrible. It'll be reasonable, you just have to factor in your preference. Do you want to stay with XP or are you willing to give Vista a chance?

Remember, Microsoft doesn't say you have to upgrade your current XP systems to Vista, that's a CHOICE that you, as a user makes. If your system is five years old and the hardware vendors who created the components in your system won't updated the drivers to be Vista capable, why is that Microsoft's fault?

Tim: Why is it that nearly every story about Microsoft and Vista that I see on The Fool is truly negative? Seems that your (the Fool's) reporting is not at all unbiased when it comes to Microsoft. You guys got an axe to grind over there?

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2008, at 7:54 PM, prose976 wrote:

What supercilious hogwash (an Apple fanboy wrote this article). What kind of a headline is that? Media thrives off of this kind of stuff, and most of you are typing and surfing on Windows. Those who haven't upgraded can say thay hate Vista, but really don't know, because they don't use it. And those who use Apple, can say they hate Vista, because they're Apple fans. How many that actually use Vista hate it? I would bet there are very few. I use it and I love it. The companies who are not upgrading are choosing not to because of financial pressures (remember the economy), not because they hate Vista. Vista is not being embraced as an upgrade for individuals and companies because of the expense factor. Too bad, because Vista offers a great computing experience. I own an XP machine and a Vista Machine. I won't upgrade the vista machine because of expense and necessary hardware upgrades. I bought the Vista machine new, and it has everything I need to run Vista. For some reason, it appears that, as we get more media intensive, people believe they can just site with their old machines and run high bandwidth/RAM hungry/processor-hungry applications and media. Not true. You need to upgrade just to run the media, whether you want Vista or not. Until everything is processed "in the cloud" and we can run everything through a browser with little or no computing power in our home machines or laptops, good luck with the power requirements of the evolving web. If you don't upgrade, you don't get the full experience, and if you do, you'll probably be happy you're running Vista (and then Windows 7).

• Report this Comment On July 29, 2008, at 8:35 AM, Spoot1 wrote:

Everyone complained about Vista and I was expecting the worst when I was forced to switch w/ a new laptop. Honestly I like it better than XP now, and have NO complaints about it. Anyone who dislikes Vista has probably not tried it lately (or ever).

• Report this Comment On September 16, 2008, at 1:13 PM, SteveTheInvestor wrote:

The reality is that Vista was a nightmare when it first came out. Microsoft over -promised and under-delivered. The driver problems and incompatibility issues were rampant. Computers with insufficient resources were also a problem.

Microsoft also charged a premium for some versions of Vista with the promise that further improvements and utility would be added over time. For all practical purposes, nothing further was ever delivered.

The IT managers that I know want nothing to do Vista. It's a resource hog and offers little advantage over XP. Some of Vista's "features" are downright annoying. For all the headaches and huge expense involved in an OS changeover, why would anyone bother?

If one is forced into using Vista (most current computer buyers), they may not "hate" it. On the other hand, ask those that use it if there was a true need to "upgrade" . I suspect most would say no.

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2008, at 9:56 AM, Afrosia wrote:

My reasons for disliking Vista are simply that if I buy a new PC I want to realise an improvement in performance.

I do not want flashy gimmicks, all I want is a springboard from which to launch my applications. I appreciate that some users may want their RAM/CPU to be taken up with overhead, but I do not.

If they had released a stripped down version of Vista that could run properly on my 1GB/dual 1.66Ghz machine then I would not have switched to Fedora, which actually satisfies 90% of my (IT) needs, except for gaming.

I had never touched Linux before Vista was launched. Microsoft should take heed of this.

• Report this Comment On January 02, 2009, at 4:43 PM, l3iodeez wrote:

Its not that Vista is so terrible, its that XP is highly refined, and Vista just doesn't offer much of a benefit balance the costs to switching. Also, is it just me or is the whole user access control business badly implemented? I like the linux method, where you can enter a root password to enter administration mode. I want SUDO on windows.