Recs

224

Save Your 401(k) Before It's Too Late

Don't let it get away!

Keep track of the stocks that matter to you.

Help yourself with the Fool's FREE and easy new watchlist service today.

If you've been brave enough to open your 401(k) statement this year, you've probably noticed that there's a lot less money there than last year. In fact, at the trough of the market in October, The Wall Street Journal reported that workplace retirement plans -- e.g., 401(k)s -- suffered paper losses of $2 trillion.

The problem is, even when the stock market was up, you -- the saver/contributor -- were probably losing money then, too. Because of a combination of high fund fees, exorbitant plan costs, and poor asset allocation, even when your 401(k) isn't losing money, it's still costing you.

$2 trillion!
This year's more than 35% market haircut is the first major plunge since the landmark Pension Protection Act of 2006 was signed into law. That bill paved the way for 401(k)s to be the long-term solution for American retirement savings; the losses and volatility we've experienced since September have raised questions about the wisdom of that solution.

The market never goes up in a straight line, of course. But for most of the time since the IRS formally outlined 401(k) rules in 1981, the market experienced fantastic growth, and plan participants watched as their nest eggs swelled (despite Black Monday in 1987 and the dot-com bubble earlier this decade).

Some of those precipitous drops sounded the alarm bells of reform -- with the spectacular fall of Enron in particular raising the possibility of change -- but it wasn't until the credit crunch and market meltdown of '08 that calls for 401(k) reform intensified.

Some smart folks have gone further than merely "reform." New School professor Theresa Ghilarducci proposed a plan to Congress that would abolish 401(k)s entirely and replace them with government-run plans guaranteeing a post-inflation 3% per annum. Most other proposals are less radical (read about all of them here) and, therefore, more palatable.

Why, then, do we support the 401(k) system?
We believe the 401(k) system should remain intact. We also agree with critics -- the system has flaws. These plans put the onus of saving and investing on individuals who, in many cases, aren't up for the challenge. Many 401(k)s charge high fees and have little transparency as to what those fees actually are. As Daniel Solin points out in The Smartest 401(k) Book You'll Ever Read, the paradigm shift from pensions to 401(k)s benefited, in order:

• Employers
  • The securities industry
  • The insurance industry
  • You, the employee

Yes, you appear last. And yes, that's a major problem.

But that hierarchy need not be permanent. Along with some needed regulatory changes, there are some important steps you can take to seize control of your 401(k) future -- which is why we've presented (below) an article package detailing how you can save your 401(k) from high fees, indifferent or ignorant plan management, and the common blunders that plague many plans.

A sense of perspective
The 401(k) plan system is barely 30 years old. Think about that: The retirement vehicle to which all Americans are now hitched hasn't been around as long as a typical worker's career. With a plan so young, so unproven, it's no surprise that alarm bells have sounded now that the market has taken a nosedive.

And reform is what's needed -- not the abolition of the 401(k). Again: These plans put you in control. That's scary, yes, but you must control your destiny here -- because let's face it, the alternatives to 401(k)s are inadequate. Company-run pension plans are disappearing for a reason -- they've proven to be unrealistic. In recent years, more than a few businesses have been saddled with huge pension obligations: General Motors (NYSE: GM  ) , Continental (NYSE: CAL  ) , United Airline parent UAL (Nasdaq: UAUA  ) , and Delta (NYSE: DAL  ) , just to name a few.

The government-run leg of the retirement stool is Social Security, and anyone who's watched a presidential debate over the past two decades knows Social Security is in trouble. By its own estimate, the Social Security Administration will begin paying out more than it receives in 2017.

Reform large and reform small
Frankly, the "Americans aren't up to the challenge" excuse is bothersome. 401(k) reform is necessary -- with tweaks to the system in key places -- but it is absurd to think that we'd give up on 401(k)s even though the application process takes less effort than filling out a cell-phone rebate card. If we've never made a concerted effort to educate the players, is it really fair to give up on the game?

That's said with due respect to the smart folks asking that the entire 401(k) system be reevaluated -- or more.

Get schooled
Before the Industrial Revolution, the American retirement plan was to work (on a farm, for instance) until you were physically incapable, and then have your kids care for you in old age.

That broken model has been replaced by newer, but inadequate, solutions. Social Security isn't working. Pensions aren't working.

Your 401(k) may not be working, either (click the links below to do something about that) -- but it is the one thing over which you have the most control. It's the very best place you can begin pumping up your retirement, because -- and this may seem obvious, but it needs to be said -- no one will plan your retirement for you.

We've come quite a long way, but we have a lot further to go. The 401(k) is how Americans save, but we should demand better -- of the system, of the plan providers, of our employers, of ourselves.

To get you started down that path, we've assembled a special report that tackles the 401(k) issue from every angle -- click below to read on!

Brian Richards does not own shares of any companies mentioned. The Motley Fool is investors writing for investors.

• Report this Comment On December 17, 2008, at 5:50 PM, FinancialFellow wrote:

I'm all for reforming 401k plans to shed more light on all the fees. I support full disclosure. It's very difficult for employees figure out all of the expenses that they are paying within company 401k plans. I'm glad that my company's 401k plan has shifted to almost all low expense Index funds. But, I'd still like to see if there are any administration fees that are hidden in the plan.

I'm also in agreement that 401k plans should continue to exist - despite their flaws. I'm all for individuals managing their own retirement. (Even if not everyone is necessarily capable of doing so.) The failed alternative of corporate pension plans is certainly a worse option.

I think the next major battle that should be waged is to get rid of publicly supported pension plans for government employees: http://financialfellow.com/2008/11/28/pension-plans-ripoff-t...

• Report this Comment On December 17, 2008, at 6:37 PM, PhoenixDJT wrote:

The reforms necessary to 401k's should make them work like IRA's. A 401k plan locks the worker into the administrator that the employer picks, and puts the employee at the mercy of jacked up fees and piss poor investment offerings, if the employer is large enough to offer the plan at all. Do away with 401k, lift the IRA contribution cap to match the 401k limits, let every employee invest tax deferred (or tax-free Roth option) where they want. If the firm wants to organize a particular provider (or more than one) and give retirement planning education as a service/benefit, that's great. But the ability to save for retirement shouldn't depend on who your employer is or what 'benefits' they decide to offer.

• Report this Comment On December 17, 2008, at 10:04 PM, gyurme wrote:

I totally agree with PhoenixDJT.What a great idea. I'm locked into a bad plan with ING. Myself and another colleague have raised our concerns to no avail with our administrators. We've given up. And I can't get the money out unless I quit which I am not likely to do. I don't contribute at all. Rather I put money into my own Roth with Vanguard. It seems once a plan is in place you can't get rid of it.

GyurmeWA

• Report this Comment On December 17, 2008, at 11:02 PM, falang1 wrote:

Luckily my 401k has the option of a Self Directed Account. I moved all of my money there and happily trade stocks, ETFs, etc (not too active trading, mind you but it's nice to buy a short when you need to). What is funny is I only found out about it after reading the fine print on some unrelated fund announcement. I asked everyone I knew at work. No one had heard of it. All the seminars by the 401k provider never mentioned it. It's like they are hiding it. Our "regular" plan sucked. The best performer was taken out. I would think allowing this in everyone's plan would help a lot of people.

• Report this Comment On December 18, 2008, at 8:19 AM, EBITDA107 wrote:

The funds available in a 401k are pretty much design for a bull market, not many places to hide in market like this.I went to a self direct plan that my company provided , nice option, but the trading cost were very high, 2 to 3 times higher than than a regular broker. they really nail you on trades over a 1000 shares. plus a per qt. maintenace fees. When your over 59 1/2 you can in roll your account to fidelity and cut your costs. if that's not a option i go with a roth or a IRA.

• Report this Comment On December 18, 2008, at 11:15 AM, robertbeard wrote:

I want a raise of hands ~ Who has a 401K in the last 30 years that is well ahead of putting savings in a "Passbook" account? What a joke - gambling would have a higher return over 30 years!

• Report this Comment On December 18, 2008, at 12:36 PM, gmpirate wrote:

Unfortunately some employers don't offer competitive plans, but there are many plans that are very good. The 401(k) often takes a back seat to other benefits and company issues. I agree wholeheartedly that there needs to be some changes. But don't elimante them all together. We are not obligated to invest in our company's 401(k) plan. We already have the choice to invest on our own in an IRA. I know, big difference on limits per year. The fact is, few people would invest at all if it wasn't through payroll deductions. If you make someone write a check each week or every month to contribute, TRUST ME it on't happen. Payroll deduction is probably the most overlooked benefit inside a defined contribution plan. Not to mention the match! You don't get free money to contribute to an IRA. Then there is A shares at NAV without a upfront sales charge due to economys of scale. If your large enough you can get into "Institutional" shares. It would be a diservice to people with a good company sponsored plan. I understand you company has a crappy product with ING. You have an annuity product with unitized accounting. Limited to separate account managers that ING hires and fires as they see fit. I hope you rethink doing away with the 401(k) just because your employer doesn't offer a good plan. I would bet your a very small plan and unfortunately small plans pay more more as a percentage of assets. Your probably under 3 million dollars in total assets? If I am wrong and you are larger, then you have outgrown the product your in and should demand you take a look at the market place for a new provider. Just my two cents!

• Report this Comment On December 19, 2008, at 11:50 AM, ktrase001 wrote:

It should be made a law that all 401k's provide Self Directed Accounts which would allow movement into ETF's etc... The concept that the company forces you to keep your OWN money in the funds they select is fine for the money they contribute, but for money that either I contribute or rolled over from a previous plan should be considered mine. It is outragious that there is no way to protect yourself in a downturn or allow yourself greater returns in an upturn. Your stuck with the choices they select and then they require only x number of changes per year.

• Report this Comment On December 19, 2008, at 4:47 PM, LastName wrote:

Even with administrations like Clinton's, not much can be done to improve the situation of OUR money, because of the state of deregulation and concerted efforts of all the lobbying on behalf of big business. Nobody is lobbying for a little guy.

• Report this Comment On December 19, 2008, at 6:45 PM, majth20 wrote:

Part of the problem is that a lot of folks who invest in a 401K don't know the first thing about how to invest in a 401K. They don't understand the choices and they certainly don't take the time to diversify their holdings. Companies have to take the time and effort to train their employees on how to benefit from this most important benefit.

• Report this Comment On December 19, 2008, at 6:51 PM, nvhorseman wrote:

I would want everyone to keep the present 401K plan just for a continuum of some way to plan for your retirement. In addition, I also want Social Security to continue, not just for those people in my age bracket but also for those generations to come. The reason is, as you have already stated in the main article, that some people are just not into the challenge of managing their wages/salaries. The social security system is fundable and growable if we, the people, insist on the government not having any financial or borrowing access to the social security trust. It was created as a trust and our politicians once again betrayed our best interests for political gain.

Also, what about self employeed people and their SEP funds, and what about IRA funds? What protection do we have with those funds? Almost none as I can see. There is no protection for any type of savings fund that would make more than a bank pass book savings account. But someone always makes money. Money does not disappear, it just changes hands and is re-born as another invented way for some financial group to make more money.

Lastly, I would like to say, managing your money should begin in Middle School for our youth and continue all the way through High School in our education system. It should be a one semester required course. That would be a great impetus and responsibility on the current financial system to get a workable platform down with rule, regs and transparency so that it could be taught to students. The Federal Reserve, Central Banks and the SEC would have to get their act together then or we would have a nation of investors who would clean their clock over something like what is happening now.

Pipe Dreams

• Report this Comment On December 19, 2008, at 7:35 PM, spdykat wrote:

I would like to ask, naively, where would I look to find out if my 401K has a self-direct option?

• Report this Comment On December 19, 2008, at 9:45 PM, michaeljgraves wrote:

The 401K system should be modeled more like the RRSP system in Canada. There the investment account is held by the individual, not the employer. Yes, the deductions are taken at the source, but there's no such thing as rollover. Fees are also much more obvious.

They allow 17% of gross income into RRSP pre-tax. It's a much more efficient system. But I don't expect that US investment community will make the transition as it doesn't generate the same sort of revenue in fees.

• Report this Comment On December 19, 2008, at 9:47 PM, yankeey2g wrote:

i have very little faith in my 401(1) at the current moment. I'm 26 years old...started the plan 4.5 years ago and as of Sept 2008 had 40K balance. balance today? 50% less. it breaks my heart!

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2008, at 8:59 AM, briboe wrote:

Hey yankeey2g - I totally agree. I'm 37 and started saving diligently since I was 21. My contributions to my 401k over the years are much higher than what it's worth now. Part of the problem is we've gone through 2 of the top ten dips in market history within the last 7 years.

I'm tired of stockbrokers and articles always telling us to be in the stock market because it's historical returns are still over 10% since inception. The market has changed so much in the past 10 years to me that logic is no longer true. Before you could just put your money in the market and let it sit. Now timing is everything, and your accounts require constant supervision and reallocations.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2008, at 10:31 AM, WillyMiller wrote:

401(K)? Lost my shirt, thanks professional fund managers.

Deferred Compensation? Lost my shirt, thanks professional fund managers, redux.

Mutual Funds? Lost my shirt, thanks professional fund managers, it's getting old.

Social Security? It's not a fund, it's a transfer tax that has every business and contributor as a base, not perfect but it is as sound as the government . . . as long as we refrain from electing people that oppose a democratic government [shades of the "Great Communicator".]

Investing for the future is like making love, best if you're doing it yourself instead of paying someone else to do it for you. It also helps if you enjoy what you're doing and have faith in your abilities. It's the foreplay that really makes it enjoyable and rewarding.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2008, at 11:00 AM, webstno1 wrote:

the social security system wouldn't be going broke if the money was used only for social security instead of going into the general fund being used for all kind of things.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2008, at 11:15 AM, Pearl621 wrote:

No one has mentioned real estate in an IRA. I am interested in it, but afraid it may be fraught with too many fees.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2008, at 11:48 AM, kronem wrote:

I think you are an idiot to suggest the 401ks are bad. If anything, people are the problem and anyone suggesting the government do anything with your money is idiotic! Look what they've done with social security, the budget, etc!!

You may think this downturn is bad, but in the long run it is good for people investing in 401ks as long as their time horizon is 10+ years. They are buying at much lower prices than they were a year ago, which lowers their average cost. People need to be smarter and move their money to bonds or lower risk investments when they get close to retirement and for god sake, if the markets are hitting new all time highs for weeks at a time, move your damn money to something safer and wait for the inevitable pullback!!! I did and I am doing great.

Loving this drop, and as I mentioned before, if you are still putting money in and not retiring for 10+ years, you want to markets to drop, period!! WTF do you want the markets to go higher? So you can pay more? That is idiotic! Enjoy this dip and increase your contributions, but be smart and pullout to something safe when the markets are near the all-time highs again.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2008, at 4:44 PM, JeanneV wrote:

We're satisfided, [Husband's 401K] with what we have, the only down side is he works for a small start-up medical company that's doing well, but right now they're not match funds. We're hoping that will can in the near future.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2008, at 6:15 PM, ronb111 wrote:

ve not held a working position in the real world. Disconnect the SS fund from the general fund & limit access by our illustrious Representatives. We also have to remember that the Federal Gov. doesn't have any money. It is all ours and not theirs,

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2008, at 9:29 PM, p2pk wrote:

None dare call it conspericy. a book i read as a poor kid as it was the only book in the house.

well as you know America is 1 election from becoming a third world dump. as it is we the legal and employed people have the great benifit of paying for the criminials O Sorry Politicians, and the border jumpers.

Sorry I got away from the subject ? $)#* 401K I know a many who manage there own 401K, not pretty. There is only 1 hope practicing faith. Merry CHRISTMAS

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2008, at 11:15 AM, Chiwray wrote:

401(k) plans are designed to help even the most hesitant employee save and invest for retirement. The fees are far lower than in an IRA, at large companies as little as 2 basis points vs 100 bps or more in an IRA. Companies make the allocation choice easy by picking a range of about 20 investment choices from the thousands that are avialable, a process few are willing tackle on their own.

There is an IRA-like payroll deduction program, its called a personal 403(b). Many in these plans are subject to extraordinarily high fees and end up in badly performing funds. In fact, the government is moving to limit their use.

The fact that the equity values in 401(k) plans have declined is not a 401(k) problem. All owning equities have seen their values decline. In fact there is a special investment avialable only in a 401(k) called a stable value fund, which has held its value during this period and provided a far better return than treasuries.

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2008, at 1:17 PM, EngineerG wrote:

I have invested in 401K's for the last 15 years and have managed my wife's as well. We have followed the advise most people give and have 80% in bonds and 20% equities as we are near retirement. As the economy slid into its present state, I moved the equities mostly into the available funds our employers had that produced small but guaranteed results. Bottom line, we weren't hard hit by this super bad market conidtion. If it doesn't get too much worse, we will still have our nest egg. Down side was we had to work a few years longer than we had planned.

Bottom line is to learn from the past and not be resistant to moving your funds to safe haven quickly in the bear market. I moved mine when the market lost 10%. It is better to be safe than sorry which was the lesson I learned from the 9/11 stock market slump.

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2008, at 4:35 PM, pma101 wrote:

You didn't mention Uncle Sam on your list of benefactors of the 401k. Remember who makes the rules... A cleverly disguised tax deferral that pays off big for an even bigger government years down the road.

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2008, at 5:54 PM, Backsplash wrote:

shall we say social security benefit program is the same program that Bernard Madoff had offered to his clients. I lost over 60 grands between the 2 bear markets. They should just allow us to put in the simple passbook savings account, will do a lot of good to simple minded people like me,

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2008, at 9:30 PM, kronem wrote:

How stupid are some of you people? Every 401k as an option for a money market or equivalent fund to put your money in. If you don't like risk, put it there. If you put it somewhere else it is your own damn fault.

• Report this Comment On December 22, 2008, at 10:35 PM, work4ever wrote:

I got a kick out of reading about many 401K participants taking such a loss. I have to agree 100% with " kronem " Dec. 21, 2008 comment! I too never took a proactive approach with my 401K until it took a sudden slide south! I started managing my 401K ASAP increasing my contribution to receive the full company match of 25% and allocating all balances to the stable fund for now. Sure I lost a few $$ before taking control myself, but since March 2008 I have a steady gain of 4-5%. I tried to inform/advise others with 401K's but most seem very content with 30 to 50% losses and they tell me I have no idea what I am doing!!! So please, no more complaints, take control of YOUR 401K!!! Well said " kronem "!!!

• Report this Comment On December 23, 2008, at 1:09 AM, dividendgrowth wrote:

Federal Reserve's Flow of Funds has a detailed breakdown of US financial asset allocations since 1945. I took some pains to analyze it and found out that private pension represents the ultimate "dumb money".

Sad, but true.

• Report this Comment On December 23, 2008, at 12:43 PM, SouthernGemini wrote:

No system is perfect but there is a way to have a 401k managed by an outside source. Brokers (registered reps) are bound by the broker/dealer but I am a Registered Investment Adviser and work for the client. Anyone who is not capable of doing it self directed but realizes the importance of managing and growing their 401k should find a RIA to do it for a fee, usually a percentage of the total of assets. Also if you do find someone GET PROOF OF THEIR PERFORMANCE. I have it and so should any other self respecting RIA. www.AndrewValentinePool.com is my CPA CPE speaking website but it will give you some idea of who I am and if you have any questions you can ask.

• Report this Comment On December 23, 2008, at 3:37 PM, TMFSpeck wrote:

It never hurts to get help when you have questions.

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2008, at 8:38 AM, ccsoes1 wrote:

The market can fluctuate greatly from one year to the next. Now we even have huge swings on a daily basis. I`ve done very well with my 401k by following some very prudent practices. I don`t follow the mold of let it ride. Many so called experts say to just put your money in equites and rebalance once a year. Mutual fund companies highly discourage moving money around. What I do is actully fun and simple. I hold 4-8 different equity funds. I dollar cost average into them from my salary. In addition, when market gets hammered I add to equities from my safety account. Therfore, in current market I am adding

money on daily, weekly or monthly basis. The more market drops the more I add. The secret is to cash out of equities after huge returns. I cash out after 1, 2 or 3 years of nice gains. Sometimes 1 or 2 funds, other times all of them.My safety account is nice because it averages around 4%. I Don`t time the market. I only react to what the market if offering. So locking gains is very important but buying at low prices also makes this work. Last year I cashed out 75% of my equities at the market peak. I am now adding it back in at huge prices drops. One last thing. I don`t care if market continous upward after I cash out. I only care about my locked gains. The opportunity to buy at low prices is always just a matter of time.

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2008, at 4:58 PM, peters46 wrote:

401Ks are great compared to old company run pension plans. No, they are not perfect, and some are downright rotten; but if a person is willing and able to read and understand the literature and disclosures for the 401K, most offer some good choices (if not self-directed, funds and good stocks, at least matching funds and money market funds). Old pension plans - if not underfunded, the companies took excess(?) funding out to use as their own. I don't know if the pension protection act of 2006 got rid of that loophole or not, but most pension news from five or ten years ago seemed to be of companies going broke and pensions disappearing, or being cut to pennies on the dollar. Give me a 401K anyday. The last pension plan I was eligible to join offered (in the fine print) to guarantee a payout up to my social security benefit (minus my social security benefit). E.g., if SS payed me $1000/mo, the pension plan would guarantee me $1000/mo minus the SS payment, leaving my payments to get me zero dollars benefit. READ THE FINE PRINT and understand it, or get someone to explain it to you.

• Report this Comment On December 31, 2008, at 7:47 PM, JoshItzoe wrote:

Every worker deserves an excellent, low cost 401(k) plan. Unfortunately, as this article suggests, many 401(k) are broken in a variety of ways. The good news is that they don't have to be and there are ways they can be fixed. To learn more, please visit www.fixingthe401k.com.

• Report this Comment On May 18, 2009, at 4:10 PM, wolfman225 wrote:

"Unfortunately, when we have administrations like Reagan's or both Bushmen, nothing will ever change for better - quite to the contrary. Those guys are only interested in what's best for them and their kind."

Really, LastName? Were you perhaps asleep during the mid-80's to early 90's? And again, during this last decade (at least until 2006) when we saw some of the greatest market gains in history?

I disagree with your assertion that they were only interested in themselves and "their kind"; if by "their kind" you mean (gasp!) THE RICH, isn't that what we all aspire to be?

As far as the debate on 401K's, I had one with a previous employer "managed" through MassMutual. It was a less than satisfactory experience. I think the main reform needed is for there to be full disclosure of all fees in each and every quarterly report. I asked several times but could never get that information from either my plan administrator OR MassMutual.

It was distressing to see my chosen funds posting double-digit gains (some as high as 23%) and to see my net hovering somewhere south of 8%, due to undisclosed fees and expenses.

DocumentId: 796747, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 8/1/2014 9:56:07 AM

Brian Richards
TMFBrich

Now: I work on global strategy for The Motley Fool with a focus on Canada, Europe, and South America. Former: Managing Editor of Fool.com. The longer version: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/brian-richards/31/164/461/.

Today's Market

updated Moments ago Sponsored by:
DOW 16,563.43 0.13 0.00%
S&P 500 1,930.35 -0.32 -0.02%
NASD 4,380.13 10.35 0.24%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Data delayed up to 5 minutes