Track the companies that matter to you. It's FREE! Click one of these fan favorites to get started: Apple; Google; Ford.



Top 10 Roth IRA Questions

Even though the Roth IRA has been around for more than 10 years, people still have a lot of questions about how it works. Today, I'll review 10 frequent questions about the Roth, with the hope of helping you better understand this valuable IRA option.

Q. Can my 16-year-old make a Roth IRA contribution?

As long as your child has earned income with which to open the Roth IRA account, and as long as he or she falls under the adjusted-gross-income (AGI) limitations, then he or she can make an IRA contribution regardless of age. The key is having earned income, such as from working a job. See more on this point a few questions down.

Q. Can my 73-year-old parent convert a regular IRA to a Roth IRA?

Again, age is not a determining factor. If your parent's AGI is less than the $100,000 limitation, then your parent is eligible to make the conversion. Any required minimum distributions that your parent must take from a regular IRA will not count against the $100,000 AGI limitation.

Q. I'm retired and drawing Social Security. Can I contribute part of my Social Security benefits to a Roth IRA account?

A. Nope. Sorry. To make a Roth IRA contribution, you must have earned income. Earned income is generally money you receive as compensation for your labor. It's reported to you on a W-2 form, or you report it on Schedule C (Business Income) or Schedule F (Farm Income) with your normal tax return. Earned income typically does not include Social Security benefits, pensions, interest, dividends, rental income, or capital gains. It can, however, include alimony.

Q. I want to contribute to my Roth IRA, but my custodian says I can't put annual contributions into an account that has been converted. Is this true? And if so, what should I do?

A. There's no legal reason for you to separate your contribution and conversion funds into separate accounts. Under the old Roth IRA rules, contributions and conversions had different five-tax-year start times, depending on conversion and/or contribution dates. Because of these staggered start times, the IRS suggested that contributions and conversions be maintained in separate Roth IRA accounts. That suggestion was then passed on to financial institutions, and the institutions passed that information on to their clients.

But with the changes that the Tax Reform Act of 1998 brought to the Roth IRA, the need for these separate accounts has been negated. It is now acceptable to commingle your Roth IRA conversions and contributions. While there are still staggered start times for contributions versus conversions, the rules surrounding those start times are much clearer. So having conversions and contributions in the same account, though still tricky, isn't impossible to deal with.

If your broker still insists that you separate your conversion funds and contribution funds, make sure to tell him or her of the new law that removed the segregation restrictions. And if that doesn't work, consider finding a new broker.

Q. I converted my regular IRA to a Roth IRA back in January. I've just discovered that my AGI will exceed the $100,000 conversion limitation this year. What should I do?

A. You can "recharacterize" your converted Roth IRA back to a traditional IRA without any penalty or tax. You just need to do it before Oct. 15 of the following year. That's right -- the following year. If you made your conversion in January 2007, the recharacterization wouldn't have to take place until Oct. 15, 2008. You're also required to "unconvert" not only your original conversion amount, but also any of the earnings generated by that original conversion.

So, just because you go over the AGI limitation, that doesn't mean all is lost. Your broker should be able to help you recharacterize back to a regular IRA account.

Q. I intend to retire at 50. When I do, I'll need income. Can I take money from my Roth IRA without paying any taxes or penalties?

A. Potentially, yes. Under the IRS ordering rules, you are allowed to remove your original contributions at any time without tax or penalty. In addition, after you've waited at least five tax years, you're able to withdraw your original converted amounts without taxes or penalties. It's only when you get to the earnings generated by the original contributions and conversions that you will have a tax and/or penalty problem.

Even if you do determine that you'll have to break into the earnings before you reach age 59 1/2, you may still be able to avoid the penalty -- but not necessarily the tax. If you remove the funds from your Roth IRA account using a distribution method that is part of a scheduled series of substantially equal periodic payments made over your life expectancy (and the life expectancy of your beneficiary), you may still be penalty-free.

Q. When I convert my regular IRA to a Roth IRA, do I have to pay the taxes all at once?

A. Yes. You're required to report the entire conversion income in the year of conversion. There was a one-time option to spread out conversion income when Roth IRAs first came out in 1998, but that option is no longer available.

Q. If I convert my IRA to a Roth IRA, will that income increase my adjusted gross income for the current year?

A. Absolutely. The income you have to report for an IRA conversion to a Roth IRA will have an impact on all tax issues that are based on AGI -- except for any direct Roth contribution and/or conversion issues. In other words, if you meet the AGI limitation rules to convert or contribute to a Roth before taking the conversion income into consideration, this income won't make you ineligible based on an increased AGI. But any tax provisions that use AGI as a guidepost will be affected -- including medical expenses (7.5% AGI floor), miscellaneous deductions (2% AGI floor), taxability of Social Security (based on AGI), passive loss limitations (based on AGI), and many others.

In some cases, your AGI may be severely affected. You must take that into consideration when you decide to make a Roth IRA conversion.

Q. If I have a large tax balance due next April because of my Roth IRA conversion, will I be able to avoid the underpayment penalties related to estimated taxes?

A. No. You can't be exempted from the underpayment penalty just because the balance due was caused by a Roth IRA conversion. There are other exceptions to the underpayment penalty that you might want to review, since they may allow you to dodge the penalty, but there is no "safe harbor" simply because the underpayment was caused by a Roth IRA conversion.

Q. I've heard from a friend that the AGI limitation for a Roth IRA is $100,000. I've heard from other friends that the actual AGI limitation is much higher. Which is it?

A. It depends on whether you're talking about a conversion or a contribution.

If you're talking about converting your regular IRA to a Roth IRA, then the AGI limitation is $100,000 for all filing categories, except for married folks filing separately. They're effectively prohibited from making a conversion no matter how small their AGI is, unless the couple is separated and has lived apart for the entire tax year.

But, if you're talking about making a contribution to a Roth IRA, then the rules are a bit different. The AGI limitations depend on your filing status. If you're single and your 2007 modified AGI is less than $116,000 (or married with modified AGI of less than $166,000), you'll be eligible for at least a partial Roth IRA contribution.

The Roth IRA is a powerful investment tool. Make sure you don't overlook how a Roth could round out your investment portfolio.

Read/Post Comments (12) | Recommend This Article (42)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On January 13, 2009, at 1:06 PM, kingsbury7 wrote:

    I wish to convert my IRA to a ROTH. I have been told that in 09 or 10 that there is no limitation on earnings in doing this.

    Is this true and if so , which year?

    Thanks. kingsbury7

  • Report this Comment On January 30, 2009, at 11:28 AM, BradP4 wrote:


    From what I've found the income limitation is set to expire in 2010. Here's an article that mentions it:

  • Report this Comment On February 16, 2009, at 9:35 PM, LiaA wrote:

    I was told that I could withdraw $$ from my Roth IRA as long as they were original contributions and could do so without tax or penalty. So I withdrew less than $5k which was all original contributions. I am 31 years old. I just received a 1099-R from that money I withdrew. I now have to report that money as income?

    Thanks! Lia

  • Report this Comment On April 22, 2009, at 12:09 AM, HelenBeeres wrote:

    This is good introduction to Roth IRA. I've been recently converting my traditional IRA to Roth and found this to be very helpful:

    Best of Luck

  • Report this Comment On October 25, 2009, at 1:38 PM, breezy12 wrote:

    i will be rolling over my 401k to my roth soon after can i make a withdrawal from my roth? and will i be penalized. also is there a limit i can withdraw

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2009, at 11:49 PM, psmotleyfool wrote:

    I have about a $6000 loss in all my Roth IRA's combined with no chance for them to recover ( stock went worthless). Will I have to pay any penalties if I close all my Roth accounts in order to claim the loss on my tax return this year. Opened first account over 5 years ago, but am only 49 and do not meet the other exceptions.

  • Report this Comment On July 23, 2010, at 4:36 PM, SushiFan wrote:

    Great article... but did you know that you can rollover your IRA into a self-directed IRA and back it by precious metals? I read about that at and am in the process of filing an LLC so that I can be the custodian of my own self-directed IRA like they suggest. The reason I like gold is I can maintain it in my own possession, as they clarify on their web site.

  • Report this Comment On July 23, 2010, at 4:39 PM, SushiFan wrote:

    Oh, and I found two other sites that is along those same lines of being your own custodian of your own self-directed IRA at and They all pretty much say the same thing. At one time, I remember that you couldn't maintain physical possession of your gold coins investment through your IRA, but now I guess they've found a way that you can like I stated above. Just contact one of these three sites if you have questions on how to go about it, I'm sure they'll walk you through it.

  • Report this Comment On December 14, 2010, at 7:12 PM, jh4866 wrote:

    Can I use Silver Eagle Proofs to open a Roth IRA?

  • Report this Comment On March 06, 2011, at 12:45 PM, chuckl187 wrote:

    If you transfer from one Roth IRA (say Fidelity) to another (say Allianz for example) does the five year before withdrawal requirement reset?

  • Report this Comment On April 12, 2011, at 10:42 AM, ActiveAdvisor wrote:


    No. You are not creating a new account or recharacterizing. You are simply changing custodians, which does not affect you in regards to the 5 year rule.

  • Report this Comment On June 05, 2012, at 2:46 AM, jdcolquitt wrote:

    How can Roth IRA funds be used to purchase real estate and is it advisable to do so?

Add your comment.

Compare Brokers

Fool Disclosure

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 557971, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 10/21/2016 9:53:47 PM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Today's Market

updated 37 minutes ago Sponsored by:
DOW 18,145.71 -16.64 -0.09%
S&P 500 2,141.16 -0.18 -0.01%
NASD 5,257.40 15.57 0.30%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Better investing starts with a watchlist. Now you can create a personalized watchlist and get immediate access to the personalized information you need to make successful investing decisions.

Data delayed up to 5 minutes