Recs

The 4 Things You Should Do Before You Retire

Longtime Washington Post columnist and retirement expert Stan Hinden has said that preparing for retirement is like preparing for a long trip overseas. For a vacation, you'd research all manner of logistics -- where to stay, where to sightsee, where to eat, how to get from place to place, how to pay for things, what languages you'll need to brush up on in advance, and more.

Retirement planning is no different. In the video below, Robert Brokamp, a Certified Financial Planner and advisor of Motley Fool Rule Your Retirement, tells senior editor Dayana Yochim four things would-be retirees should absolutely prepare before their golden years begin.

The best investing approach is to choose great companies and stick with them for the long term. The Motley Fool's free report "3 Stocks That Will Help You Retire Rich" names stocks that could help you build long-term wealth and retire well, along with some winning wealth-building strategies that every investor should be aware of. Click here now to keep reading.

• Report this Comment On April 17, 2013, at 11:43 AM, ShrikeTheFoolish wrote:

Yet another "article" that's actually just a video, which can't be watched by many of us while we're at certain locations (like work).

It's bad form to post just a video by itself, without a written transcript of what is said.

If we wanted videos, we'd go to YouTube.

• Report this Comment On April 17, 2013, at 1:51 PM, Laniel wrote:

Amen, Shrike!

• Report this Comment On April 17, 2013, at 2:35 PM, watson14 wrote:

I second that emotion, Fool is great on many things - except that videos which cannot be watched at work.

• Report this Comment On April 17, 2013, at 3:03 PM, BMFPitt wrote:

Yeah... Prefix all video-only "articles" with VIDEO:

• Report this Comment On April 17, 2013, at 3:04 PM, marysrus13 wrote:

IT is a better part of valor to do a quick 4 point article. Surely there is someone at Fool who can create a synopsis for any video.. I'd work hourly wage to be a ghost-writer for this. tst me and see.

• Report this Comment On April 17, 2013, at 5:18 PM, BigFatBEAR wrote:

Agree with above. I'm at home and just lazy, even.

• Report this Comment On April 17, 2013, at 6:29 PM, copadomundo wrote:

I concur with all the others. I feel like an old curmudgeon every time I complain about videos on the net being used to convey information. But it is simply more efficient to browse the text of a transcript (takes 3-15 seconds for most web articles) than to sit through minutes of a video. Useless to me, because I won't spend the time. And this is the last time I will make such a comment.

• Report this Comment On April 19, 2013, at 4:27 PM, Forestcutter wrote:

I rarely do videos. I like jumping down through a story, not waiting for it to be serially presented -- too time consuming.

• Report this Comment On April 24, 2013, at 12:07 AM, manager070 wrote:

Folks, if you are at work, you should be working, right? So, don't complain.