Recs

36

Obamacare Sticker Shock: 5 States Where Costs Could Double

Millions of Americans have taken a look at the costs of the new insurance options they have under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare. Many of them haven't been happy with what they've found, as in many states, premiums will go up versus what people were paying before for individual health-insurance coverage. A recent study from the Manhattan Institute took a look at premiums across the country to figure out which states would end up seeing the biggest increases.

In the following video, Dan Caplinger, The Motley Fool's director of investment planning, looks at the results of the study and finds that in five states, premiums under the Affordable Care Act are slated to more than double. Dan runs through the five states, noting that in Nevada and Arkansas, the increases will hit young men the hardest according to the survey. Meanwhile, New Mexico has rates that double across the board for both young, middle-age, and older residents. Vermont has age-neutral premiums statewide, but in North Carolina, the rate increase actually hits older residents disproportionately hard.

Dan goes on to discuss the potential impact on health insurance companies UnitedHealth (NYSE: UNH  ) , WellPoint (NYSE: WLP  ) , Cigna (NYSE: CI  ) , and Aetna (NYSE: AET  ) . In general, the more high-deductible, low-benefit catastrophic policies any particular company wrote in a given state, the bigger an impact Obamacare will have in preventing those insurers from offering catastrophic policies to customers who preferred them. Only if those people go ahead and get higher-quality coverage will insurers have a chance of recouping lost business.

Don't let Obamacare defeat you
Think Obamacare is too hard to figure out? You're not alone, but you can't afford to let that stop you from learning everything you can about the Affordable Care Act. In only minutes, you can learn the critical facts you need to know in a special free report called "Everything You Need to Know About Obamacare." But don't hesitate; because it's not often that we release a free guide containing this much information and money-making advice. Please click here to access your free copy.


Read/Post Comments (69) | Recommend This Article (36)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 9:23 AM, Philgumbo wrote:

    This ACA legislation is nothing more than a huge money and pwer grab, via Big Brother. It won't bring costs down for many of us(millions have already seen their rates go up, including myself), except for those who "qualify" for almost free services. Nothing has changed, except that those that actually pay their way are only further getting screwed, so that the welfare class can continue to grow, which is exactly what the leftist administration wants. They want millions more to be "dependent" on them. The working class is once again getting royally screwed. Thanks Democrats, for further ruining our economy, our freedoms, and our nation.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 9:27 AM, basha0810 wrote:

    The rates in New Mexico are unbelievable. The state was expensive before so it doesn't surprise me that it's going to be even more so. It couldn't offer its' residents affordable insurance before and the sad part is that those that had hoped it would, are probably very surprised to see that it's even more untouchable. New Mexico is the poorest state in the nation. There are many there who do not carry health insurance coverage and probably will continue to not do so and incur the yearly penalty. The alternative is absolutely put no food on the table, gas in their cars or pay the utilities and mortgages on their homes. I think this entire Affordable Healthcare should be stricken down. If is isn't going to do what it was set out to do then what was the point? Obama made our healthcare system worse. I was completely fine where I was and now because of the "system," the plan I'm on will no longer exist because it is one of the catastrophic plans. Since when, as American people, are we penalized now for using self-care by eating right and watching our intake of harmful things and staying healthy so that we can be on a major medical plan as a reward? I'm just not seeing the benefits of being an American anymore. Even countries like Italy who have the government pay their own healthcare have it better than we do.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 9:28 AM, Hootywho wrote:

    I hope the ones of you who blindly follow Obama are happy. My daughter and her husband are going to lose their house because of their 800 dollar a month increase in health insurance and a 5000 dollar a year increase in their out of pocket expense. Isn't it great when another 10 to 15 million people can be added to the poverty rolls just so some can have health insurance?

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 9:30 AM, redmanrt wrote:

    Everyone (even dims) deserves equal protection under the law.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 9:43 AM, jh836 wrote:

    UnitedHealth (NYSE: UNH ) , WellPoint (NYSE: WLP ) , Cigna (NYSE: CI ) , and Aetna (NYSE: AET )

    This is the problem I see - in 2012 UnitedHealth Fortune 22, WellPoint Fortune 45, Cigna Fortune 130, Aetna Fortune 89. Why are their PROFITS so high?

    We are dealing with the same big insurers who have been ripping us off for years. They've just found a new way to play the game and rake in more money.

    This is like taking the highest paid, crappiest ball players and expecting to win the World Series.

    We need to go back to not-for-profit health insurance. These companies are only interested in the most money they can make. They are not concerned about out health.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 9:43 AM, mr091468 wrote:

    Ready for a revolution yet?? If you think that bum in the white house thought this up, you're wrong. Try Soros and his bunch that actually run this country and want to run it into the ground like, say, mexico. We just had a secret service guy quit to run for a Republican office in Maryland. Check it out on ABC online news today. See what claims he's making about being scared after having attended meeting with the bum in the white house and others. Check it out.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 9:51 AM, sogole wrote:

    This will be an economic disaster for America.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 9:55 AM, 2smartforlibs wrote:

    Only 5??? What's really funny is liberal that are died in the wool about this ignorant plan are cutting their pay or getting divorced so they can get the rest of us to pay their way. Hose people should have all future voting rights taken away. If you to ignorant to make the right call than you shouldn't have the option

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 9:58 AM, publicx wrote:

    Basically what you're seeing is the beginning of "equalizing" everything. Taking from some to provide for others. I fully expect to hear in the next few years "you don't need that four bedroom house, you should allow somebody to move into a room" that kind of stuff.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 10:00 AM, rbreau1 wrote:

    The states that voted for obama should have their rates at least triple so the rest of us might stay even.

    I did not care for him as a candidate and after his first State of the Union in 2009 he confirmed why no American should like him.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 10:11 AM, girliegirl2012 wrote:

    In the USA, we get penalized for working...

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 10:17 AM, enyaja wrote:

    OMG! Obviously most of the readers and commenters here are low/bad information seekers. It's a shame they let their lives be ruled by fear. The high cost of healthcare is what's wrong with our economy--along with rampant, unethical capitalism or vulturism. Precisely why we need government to intervene--to level the playing field. Healthcare is a right, not a priviledge for the few who can afford it. How about everybody should go hungry that can't grow their own food? Does that make sense any more? And these people think they are Christians? Perhaps they should read the Bible and not believe some radical interpretation of it.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 10:27 AM, DBCooper wrote:

    Could I point out that those insurance policies are being offered and priced by private insurance companies? All "the government" did was establish minimum standards for coverage and an exchange (market) where companies could offer their products. No one in "the government" had any participation in pricing, that was a purely free-market function. If you're angry about those prices you were either under-insured before (meaning we taxpayers have to bail you out if you really get sick) or you're being screwed, yet again, by those same insurance companies. But again, that's a PRIVATE SECTOR problem, which is there because of Republican insistence.

    And more, the ACA is been in place and functioning in Massachusetts (as Romneycare) since 2008. Costs have come down, almost everyone is insured, and the program has an 84 percent approval rating. So what's the only significant difference? The willing cooperation of participants, with no Republicans working overtime to sabotage the program. That's the only real difference, the Republicans again working diligently to win, even when the cost is the well being of the American people.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 10:29 AM, stellar451 wrote:

    Premiums aren't the issue, no matter how many tables and examples they show in the media these days.

    When your out of pocket deductible is 5,000 (depending on plan and state - cap is 6350 for 2014), what is the incentive for the average person to get insurance when it essentially does not cover anything for a high premium per month?

    Sure it can be said "what if you have a catastrophic car accident!" That same person might as well put that 500 or more in premium n a fund for future catastrophic illness and forgo coverage officially - and that money is then available for other things if the illness doesn't happen.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 10:38 AM, stellar451 wrote:

    Enyaia - Healthcare is not a right. Neither is a "right to work" or other liberal nonsense. Bottom line - life isn't fair. Want more - work more. Can't work more - study/learn more. There are more than enough opportunities for those that are willing to get up and do something about their situation rather than wait for subsidized handout from those that do work.

    DBCooper - You need to stop reading liberal memes and actually go read the differences between the two programs. I dont ahve the space here - two salient points are that -1. the Mass. program was implemented over a span of years to ensure a smooth roll out, and - 2. the Mass program did not have the percentage of unemployed i.e. non contributing to the program people as when you are looking at the entire US

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 10:46 AM, doco177 wrote:

    Fathom The Hypocrisy Of A Government That Requires Every Citizen To Prove They Are Insured....But Not Everyone Must Prove They Are A Citizen.

    And Now, Any Of Those Who Refuse, Or Are Unable To Prove They Are Citizens Will Receive FREE Insurance Paid For By Those Who Are Forced To Buy Insurance Because They Are Citizens.

    Google "Obamacare Flowchart" at Intellectual Takeout to see a visualization of the convoluted, corrupt mess this thing really is

    Congress,Muslims, Amish, Native Americans and several other groups are exempt from mandate and penalties under ACA that the rest of us have to pay.

    The govt becoming more involved in health care is the reason the costs have increased. So Govt creates a crisis, then provides a solution that comes at the expense of liberty and freedom, costs trillions, and by most accounts won't solve the problem but in fact make it far worse.Corruption, incompetence, disregard of the Constitution, and lying are integral to the way that this country is being run.

    Three years ago, Obama, Democrats, and his media lied to us about cutting the cost of health care, being able to keep our insurance, and not taxing the middle class. Today, those lies and what ACA is and will do to the working and middle class are the biggest untold story in America.

    REFUSE and Repeal ACA...If only a mere 20% of the over 300 million population of the USA boycott ACA the government would be overwhelmed to even think they could penalize or mandate every citizen that refused to participate in the most corrupt and unlawful ways which it was passed that circumvented the constitution of the United States

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 10:50 AM, TulsaTerry wrote:

    When did the Manhattan Institute become a non-biased research organization worth writing news articles on?

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 11:05 AM, bwdan2003 wrote:

    Obama has chosen a lousy way to be remembered as a President. For many, perhaps the worst president in their lifetime. While the intent to make healthcare affordable for all or most was there; it ended up likely being a travesty and will most assuredly cost the Democrats dearly in future elections. When you reach into people's pockets and take money from them that they don't have to begin with, nothing good can come from it.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 11:05 AM, ilovenurses wrote:

    I don't understand why so many left-leaning people seem to think that "now the poor have insurance". If you think that having a $5,000 deductible is "having insurance" if you're poor, then you are delusional. The poor have no money for the premiums, in the first place, and their "subsidy" doesn't come until they file their taxes, if they even do. So for those who are championing the fact that "now the poor have a policy for free", get your facts straight.... they have to PAY for that policy every money, just like you and me. At the end of the year, when they file their taxes, if they do, they will get a rebate on the money they spent during the past year. Here's a FACT for you: the POOR don't have $238-$700 per month to pay for their coverage TODAY. Plus, they don't have $5,000 for deductible. Each year. For EACH person in their household. Do you really think that you and Obama did them any kind of favor with this joke of an insurance plan? Don't blame the insurance companies... they are just doing what they have been instructed to do by YOUR leaders in Washington.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 11:08 AM, stellar451 wrote:

    doco177 -

    ....aaand ultraconservative cut and paste posts like this also further confuse the issue.

    Facts are, although initially it was repeatedly said it was not a new tax and was covered under the commerce act - at the last days of court arguments it was then argued that if it wasn't covered by the act then it was under tax law. So it is indeed lawfully passed after review by the courts - like it or not. There was no circumvention of the constitution. The rest are partial truths, too much to pull apart here.

    Bottom line is that this is going to be a continuing fiasco of mismanagement. Gov is essentially telling a private company (insurers) how to run their companies to manage their profits - and that is a effort doomed to failure from the get go.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 11:28 AM, mmuscs wrote:

    Texas is also "age based". I have family members that are going from $300 to $900 a month, each.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 11:28 AM, RJSquirrel wrote:

    This article deals with health insurance as if it were a commodity, so one policy is the same as another except for price. Wrong as rain. The price is tied to the coverage, and cheap policies of today aren't worth a thing - 50% of US bankruptcies are because "covered" people exceed their medical policy limits, and they lose everything. ACA approved policies will not let that happen, because they are all excellent in their protection. Don't let self-serving, politically motivated pronouncements shape your judgement, research the actual policy coverages. For like policies with good protection, costs are at least equal, if not cheaper under the ACA.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 11:36 AM, thescruggs wrote:

    My 350/month 2500 deductible plan is going to 850/month with 5000 deductible.

    NOW THAT IS AFFORDABLE! WHY OH WHY DIDNT THEY DO THIS YEARS AGO?!!!?!!

    One fact that cant be ignored is that almost all people who are still singing the praises of O-care are the ones who are getting huge discounts on their coverage. And that my friends is becoming a smaller and smaller minority by the day as people start trying to signup. Hopefully the hospitals are ready for the surge in heart attacks and strokes as people see these numbers for the first time!

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 11:57 AM, lanie940 wrote:

    Do you all honestly believe your Health Insurance costs/premiums wouldn't have gone up if the ACA had not been implemented? Seriously, you all are pretty naive to think nothing would change. Part of the reason your costs have gone up is that so many people are uninsured, who do you think has to pick up the slack, People who are unemployed couldn't afford the COBRA, or their COBRA ran out. Insurance companies don't like having to not be able to deny people coverage for preexisting conditions, or no lifetime cap. they got their panties in a bunch over it and raised their rates.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 12:03 PM, tbarbar90 wrote:

    Based on the president's statements:

    1) Why should premiums go up at all? According the president the average family would have their premiums go down by $2500 per year.

    2) Why is anyone losing their coverage?

    3) Why is anyone not able to see their same doctor?

    I guess fail to understand why this is happening when the president promised all these things.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 12:09 PM, globeflyer wrote:

    Two points: One, the people who voted for Obama are going to feel the pain along with the rest of those that didn't. Their "co-supporters" from other (mostly unaffected) States could care less, so I guess they (the "uninformed") have to reassess their blind support of such a charlatan. Two, all Federal-level politicians can be held culpable because if they had made it legal for insurance companies to compete across state lines, the rates would be much lower to begin with.....Remember Econ. 101, competition is a good thing for the customer, monopolies are not.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 12:11 PM, Devaughnb wrote:

    Frankly i have no clue what the truth is anymore. Half the people who comment on this debacle have bad information. If there is any good to come out of this it is that the Health care system will need to be fixed. Status quo was not feasible for most.

    Obama has his share of blame, but frankly he went with the solution that he thought would get most support. Most dems wanted universal healthcare, which as a canadian i can guarantee you is the most efficient form of healthcare. Why? Because healthcare, like education does work very well on a demand / supply curve.

    In any case, i have a feeling things will work out long term. You just need to get your politicians working together to build better solutions rather than each side trying to undo what the other is doing.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 12:12 PM, CaptAmericaa1 wrote:

    Its all about transferring wealth. Its what obama and the dems said they were going to do, and they are.

    These politicians think everyone that has money got it through no effort on their part, probably because that's the way most of them got rich, and that people are poor through no fault of their own. My guess is that in 90% of the cases, they are wrong, but they get to run the country, for now.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 12:14 PM, sogole wrote:

    America will go bankrupt with more taxes.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 12:16 PM, stellar451 wrote:

    "50% of US bankruptcies are because "covered" people exceed their medical policy limits..."

    After premiums of 250-500 per month and the cap at average of 5000 out of pocket, you don't think people are going to bankrupt under that kind of coverage?

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 12:23 PM, Brightguy wrote:

    Exactly,all this program does is to redistribute wealth,except the biggest burden is put on the young middle class,those who are struggling in this lousy economy.They were promised that the average family would save $2500/year LIE,you could keep your plan,LIE, you could keep your doctor,LIE the company who got the contract to set up the website is a Canadian firm awarded the contract in a no bid scenario.Spent of $640 million so far on this botched roll out!! And by the way,a big exec at this company is a classmate of Michelle Obama from Princeton!! This whole thing stinks!! Real bad!!

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 12:24 PM, wiupnorth wrote:

    The problem with the Affordable Care Act has more to do with the money grubbing insurance companies and the out of control health care industry. Check out "http://healthland.time.com/why-medical-bills-are-killing-us/ ". Ignorance is NOT always bliss. The ACA is certainly not perfect (just like Social Security and Medicare aren't) but it is a beginning and, like almost everything in a democracy, is a work in progress. Let's fix it for the good of all.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 12:56 PM, ronbn49 wrote:

    AND GUESS WHO IS MAKING OUT IN THIS ROBBERY. YOU GUESSED IT THE SAME SCUM THAT HAS BEEN GETTING ALL THE MONEY BEFORE. INSURANCE COMPANIES, DOCTORS, HOSPITALS, AND WORST OF ALL THE EVIL DRUG COMPANIES, NOT TO MENTION THIS IS HIS PAY BACK FOR OBAMA GETTING NOMINATED AND ELECTED. ITS ALL A CORRUPT SYSTEM ORGANIZED BY AND RUN BY A CORPORATE EMPIRE.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 12:58 PM, PaulPhoenix wrote:

    You are LUCKY if it only doubles.

    How dare some multi-millionaire with taxpayer subsidized insurance tell the people paying their salaries that their current insurance is "inferior" in their eyes so they will force us to pay more for "superior" insurance that costs more with a higher deductible and covers things like pre-natal care (for a man).

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 12:59 PM, Pablocruse wrote:

    Well, well. All you libtard Oblunder voters must be REAL proud of yourselves. I hope now that every single one of you either loses your healthcare or has to pay triple for less than you had.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 1:14 PM, Jhayes71 wrote:

    Wiupnorth, we aren't a democracy fyi. The reality is this is a massive social welfare program that is a burden on the working middle class to give a few million free healthcare. Our system is a mess however this did nothing but make it worse. I suspect this is by design to trigger a collapse and the government can step in and save the day.

    To the Canadian poster touting a single payer system, the dynamics of the US relative to other single payer systems are vastly different. In addition, we are a sick obese lazy nation with a massive illegal immigration problem and a bloated military because we are expected to be the world police. This country was founded to be different than the European model, it is a shame we are now headed that direction.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 1:18 PM, Jhayes71 wrote:

    ronbn49, seriously, as a practicing physician, I am getting nothing from the ACA. Medicaid and government based insurance plans are not even worth seeing from a purely financial stance. I lose money and take on millions in liability.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 2:02 PM, trajan24 wrote:

    Imbeciles whining about "evil" insurers have no idea how free enterprise works. ALL prosperity comes from PRIVATE business and competition produces lower prices, more choices, innovation and better products, EVEN in the insurance business. Obamacare does EVERYTHING WRONG. That is why, despite Obama's sociopathic lies, MILLIONS are losing their policies, prices are rising, and DOCTORS are dropping OUT of the system in HUGE numbers. What good is your pathetic Obamacare policy when your doctor WON'T accept it? DUH!

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 2:02 PM, joannecali wrote:

    Another betrayal by Obama, under the guise of "helping the American people", is rearing its ugly head. This, along with such ploys as appointing Michael Taylor, a Monsanto lobbyist, as the “food czar” - clinching Monsanto's power to skyrocket his profits at the cost of polluting the world's food supply with RoundUp and GMO foods - proves he is not the nice guy some people believe him to be. Obamacare is gouging the pockets of Americans, not providing health care to all. What's really happening is that the "parity", or equal insurance for psychiatric ills (mind you, every child is ADHD, because it's a label for normal childhood behavior - and emotional ups and downs - a part of human life, is now "bipolar") is draining America's economy by pouring billions of dollars into Big Pharma annually - from Medicaid, Medicare "treating" foster kids, prisoners, soldiers and the poor with these unnecessary drugs.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 2:08 PM, CommieLibNot wrote:

    Healthcare is 17.2% of the US economy - the goal of the Democrats is to socialize the USA via healthcare. This is the kiss of death for this country.

    Let the free markets work through revising healthcare. Fixing the rules on preexisting conditions did not have to become an extremist, apocalyptic bill that will destroy our economy and degrade healthcare. This "will" wind up being a trillion dollar mistake. We're fools trusting the government to control 17.2% of our economy.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 2:12 PM, joannecali wrote:

    I agree completely with you, trajan24

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 2:21 PM, hagar2935 wrote:

    Ovomitscare is the biggest SCAM to have ever been perpetrated upon the American people!

    And the people are beginning to WAKE UP!

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 4:16 PM, rdmcdonald48 wrote:

    This whole mess has been orchestrated to meet a goal - SINGLE PAYER.

    Making the people's lives so miserable that they will accept any alternative is how a "marxist" wins the confidence of the masses. Even if it was their idea in the first place.

    There are 315 Million people in this country, more or less.

    IF each person was to pay the "government" a flat rate of $ 250 per month for "government" run health care, the Treasury would be collecting the sum of $ 78,750,000,000.00 per month or $ 945 Billion per year.

    Still not enough to provide adequate health care to the people when you deduct 12.5% +/- in their administrative costs.

    For a family of 4, that's $ 1000.00 per month in health care coverage paid to 'Uncle Sam' each and every month, and you still may not get a doctor to see you, or get a drug prescription filled.

    So, do you really think Washington DC is qualified to "fix" health care? IF you do, make sure you get coverage for a mental health professional, you're going to need it.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 4:18 PM, CausticAmerica wrote:

    Motley Fool did you not have several articles proceeding this one that called all of us fools that were resisting the ACA because we did not buy into the glorious Obama Care that was forced upon the free people of America, and you supported it a 100%! No this is not a question it is a fact- you are disgusting to the core!

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 4:50 PM, crpolk wrote:

    Unfortunately, this article cannot be trusted based more on what it doesn't say than what it does say. For example, where did the author get the figures for the rate increases? In many states where the insurance companies have had to cancel the 'junk' insurance policies they had been offering, they have sent letters to their customers telling them they have been cancelled but not to worry because they can continue to get insurance through the carrier - at a much higher cost - and the customer just needs to do nothing, the carrier will bill them. The problem is, they hardly mention that the customer can go out to the exchange and shop for another comparable policy if he/she wants. In several stories reported around the country, when the customer did shop around, they found much lower cost policies that offered the same coverage.

    The other thing not mentioned by the story is: what was the real cost to the consumer? In other words, what was the customer going to pay after the rate increase and the rebates they receive?

    Again, in many stories around the country, customers have found that after they signup, they are pay less than they previously did for much better coverage because they received a subsidy.

    I hate junk journalism, because it misinforms and obfuscates instead of giving all the facts.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 4:53 PM, DJ1876 wrote:

    share the hate for 0bama

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 5:08 PM, starfish36 wrote:

    The mistake was trying to make any government sponsored health program work using private insurance companies, which are profit driven. It should have been a single payer system for at least 80% of basic health needs, similar to Medicare, which works quite well. Single payer systems work very well Germany, France, Scandanavia, Switzerland, Italy, Japan and quite a few other countries. Only in the USA do we insist on a camel and get a goat.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 5:39 PM, KentTL356 wrote:

    What the govt. is trying to do is make affordable health insurance for all. The argument exist if the business sector can serve a more rational and affordable system. Since, the private sector has not accomplished this goal and won't, maybe.....just maybe Obama care will introduce to our society that the health care system is flawed. I.E. $300 for an aspirin. So , we will see the outcome.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 5:58 PM, TMFGalagan wrote:

    @crpolk - Here are the figures for the rate increases, from the Manhattan Institute: http://www.manhattan-institute.org/knowyourrates/index.htm

    best,

    dan (TMF Galagan)

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 6:08 PM, skypilot2005 wrote:

    On November 09, 2013, at 5:39 PM, KentTL356 wrote:

    "What the govt. is trying to do is make affordable health insurance for all. The argument exist if the business sector can serve a more rational and affordable system. Since, the private sector has not accomplished this goal and won't, maybe.....just maybe Obama care will introduce to our society that the health care system is flawed. I.E. $300 for an aspirin. So , we will see the outcome."

    " If you like your Health Plan, you can keep it."

    "If you like your Doctor you can keep them."

    President OBama

    There should be an intelligence test to qualify to vote.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 6:14 PM, skypilot2005 wrote:

    On November 09, 2013, at 4:50 PM, crpolk wrote:

    "Again, in many stories around the country, customers have found that after they signup, they are pay less than they previously did for much better coverage because they received a subsidy."

    Why not just give them the subsides now and not "nationalize" our Health Care System?

    I'll tell you why. The Liberals know what is best for us.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 6:17 PM, skypilot2005 wrote:

    "On November 09, 2013, at 4:16 PM, rdmcdonald48 wrote:

    This whole mess has been orchestrated to meet a goal - SINGLE PAYER."

    Yup.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 6:52 PM, Doggone2 wrote:

    In 1994, my family and I were out walking, tending our farm animals in a rural area of Illinois.It was early in the morning and there was a chill in the air. All of a sudden, a brisk wind started to swirl, faster and faster, becoming very intense. It began whisking items on the ground and flinging them in the air. In a brief moment the chickens were gone. The wind shook the trees violently. It picked up our donkey and carried him airborne. Years later we saw the donkey on TV being sworn in as president..Now we visit him and Michelle often to discuss how things used to be!

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 8:09 PM, peckbill wrote:

    One never knows until they shop around and try to make a deal.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 10:20 PM, danusha wrote:

    The Medical cost goes up, since there is no price tag for the Hospital billing, (the biggest burden on inflation and the personal Bankruptcy!).The Hospitals should be controlled with their outrages charges and cost. I had a scheduled MRA, (the similar to MRI).My original estimate was $1235.00 for MRA of neck and Brain. I checked with other Hospitals, which they were lower and higher a little bit higher and one the lowest one, I would have to pay in cash to obtain the lowest price, ($866.00).Well couple weeks ago I received the charges from the Hospital, which I thought was an error made. I called the Hospital and their Patient Relationship Department, since the bill was $5,125.I was told that they are sorry that the "error" was made maybe with the estimate!!!!.I checked before with three other people in the same billing office, to confirm and they told me the same price $1235.00 prior to making an appointment. At first they denied but I told them the names I spoke to in their office and they admitted that they,(3 people) gave me a "wrong price" The same test in other Countries than US costs roughly $135-150.00 maxim in some other more Industrial countries as low as $35 per test. The test last approx. 25 min .In the beginning I was told that it takes at least 45 min to 1 Hour. The hospital was not telling truth, only to just get a patient in and then charge whatever they fill like it. To obtain the bill from a Hospital it's like to see the freight train coming out of the tunnel. You never know how many cars are coming out of the tunnel and you don’t know how many bills are coming from a hospital either after service. Now in addition to this outrages bill I received the bill from a Radiologist for $785.00 for reading this result, (5-10 min of work reading it)!!.Control the Hospital Charges Government and forget about the medical insurance Obamacare. That's another burden, free enterprise in the result of absurd cost!!That's should be also controlled just like in other countries.

  • Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 11:01 PM, ColoradoDavid44 wrote:

    Insurance prices are based upon the cost of medical care from doctors, hospitals, drug companies, etc. What we have is not an "insurance problem." It is an out of control problem of outrageous inflation in medical care prices. In 1960, the cost of medical care in the U.S. was 6% of the economy. It is now rapidly approaching 20%. Friends, you cannot fix the problem of obscene prices for medical care with insurance. Premiums for insurance MUST go up in order to pay ever increasing prices charged by hospitals, physicians, etc. The major reason why the Japanese pay lower prices for insurance is that they do not permit hospitals and physicians to increase prices without permission. Increases in rates must be justified, just like we use public utilities commissions with rates for public monopolies.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 12:36 AM, CATPUBES wrote:

    BUSH'S FAULT

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 2:20 AM, slamnjam99 wrote:

    It's time that Washington put regulations on the insurance companies to stop the gouging that they have been putting on us for so long.

    It is no wonder so many Americans fail or refuse to get insurance. It's cheaper for them to use the emergency rooms as their primary care facility and let the tax payer foot their bill.

    If regulations are enforced, everyone will have the ability to acquire medical insurance and the overall cost will drop for those of us that already have it.

    It can be done, it's been done in Europe, Central America and South America for years.

    It's a shame that people are so afraid of change.

    The medical system in the United States has been broken for a long time because the lack of regulations on the insurance companies.

    Regulations imposed by our government protects us from the greed of the insurance companies.

    Regulations imposed on the oil companies kept our fuel prices down. Once deregulated, it opened the doors for the il companies to raise the price of fuel and all product and by-products made from oil.

    The rich keep getting richer and well, you know the rest.....

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 2:51 AM, Cv wrote:

    The problem is, those of you who think we need state health care..:are the ones who think healthcare is a right. That would be nice, but it really isn't. See, it's no different than a house. Sadly, owning a house isn't a right either. It's a purchase. We chose to buy a house or rent an apartment, etc. healthcare is not a right. Doctors provide a service, and we all have the option of utilizing those services. Some go to urgent cares (as my mom...who doesn't want health insurance since she rarely goes and is responsible enough to pay for every visit). There are free clinics and other services provided for those who need basic care but can't afford it. I agree that should someone have a catastrophic event that yes, without insurance, it could potentially bankrupt them. But why should I have to pay for that through raised taxes? This isn't utopia. It would be awesome if our president shat money and rainbows out his butt, but he doesn't. Healthcare is like food. We need food to live more than we need healthcare, but I don't see mandatory food items being distributed out to every single citizen. Because it costs money. And if you want it, you need to pay for it. It's also not fair that my taxes get raised to help pay for someone else. And with high deductibles...how are they gonna pay any of their doctor visits?? If they can't afford a few hundred a month for insurance, they sure as heck can't afford to go at all! I see so many welfare people who are on food stamps but also sporting the latest iphone and name brand clothing. That's not "not being able to afford insurance" ...that's messed up priorities. Messed up priorities is what got us in this jam. I know there are people who honestly work and don't make much money...but I also know there are way more who sit on their fat lazy butts and take, take, take everything they can. They are the ones who have raised our taxes to provide freebies all these years. Those freebies will oneday run out...and with a broke middle class...what are they gonna do then? Sadly it's the irresponsible and lazy that make the hard working pay. And until this country comes up with a plan to light a fire under their lazy butts, we're just heading deeper into a whole we can't dig our way out of.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 6:31 AM, TerryFlowers wrote:

    Yes, Obamacare (The Affordable Care Act or ACA) is a convoluted and complicated law. But then it was a Heritage Foundation idea which Mitt Romey adopted for his home state. I believe that President Obama took it because he thought that it would be bipartisan support since it came from a conservative organization. WRONG ~

    Don't get me wrong... I am not by any means defending ACA. I have thought from the very start that it would be a fiasco. I have supported HR 676 (single payer) from the very beginning and when they brought this out I knew it would not resolve the two big issues with our nation's healthcare.

    1) to reduce the per capita cost of healthcare and

    2) to provide healthcare financing for 100% of our citizens.

    H.R. 676 would accomplish both of these goals.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 7:10 AM, TerryFlowers wrote:

    Healthcare prices in the U.S. are inflated at least in part because of the practice of the healthcare insurance companies negotiating with the healthcare providers (physicians, hospitals, etc.) for discounts. Once the discounts are agreed upon the providers set their fees and must inflate them in order to maintain an adequate income. Now by contract providers must bill the insurance company the "usual and customary fee" which means that the private pay patient is screwed.

    H.R. 676 would end this practice and make healthcare financing fair for all.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 8:17 AM, Tccdan wrote:

    Voted for Obama the first time, but not the second time. Obamacare isn't really to force everyone to get health care, it's to subsidize healthcare for the ones who can't afford it (which year after year those numbers have increased dramatically). And of course, to subsidize you need income, hence the taxes for not having healthcare.

    Our CEO and other VP's have been scaring us for the last 6 months, telling us Obamacare was going to dramatically increase our premiums. Every one of them will also tell you they hate Obama, and have during company meetings.

    Turns out the new HRA plan we are now offered along with our standard plans will provide us the same amount of coverage while saving us between $1100 and $2700 a year (depending on total medical visits). Most of us (including the VP's) were on an EPO plan.

    Obamacare and forced additional choices will actually save most of us at our company money this year, increasing our pre-tax salaries between 2% (in my case) to 10% (for some of the warehouse workers). However, I still wouldn't vote for him again and his unwillingness to compromise.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 9:12 AM, Amkel wrote:

    I live in Fl and had my sticker shock at how much insurance cost when my husband lost his job in 2009 and remains unemployed. I could not find a policy to cover pregnancy or preexisting conditions which we have. One of my small employers agreed to get me insurance but could not cover my child since Aetna said it would cost another $500 to add him onto the group policy. I now spend 3 x what I used to spend and had to stop paying for my mortgage which my house has been in foreclosure for 3 years in order to pay for it. I am in the medical field and I don't care how old you are or what you think your health is like now. You will need to use the healthcare system at some point. Why should I pay for those who refuse to get insurance. We are fortunate in Fl that we have a lot of competition and the Affordable care policies are awesome with 98 choices. Even with no gov't subsidy I can get a better deal thru the ACA than what I have now and for $ 70 more I can get a premium plan with no deductible vs the $15k one I have with my employer. So I recommend Floridians check it out. I can always get in on the website after 10 pm and can always reach a live person with little waiting..5 min or so.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 10:34 AM, mobadthangood wrote:

    Sticker Stock?

    No wonder there are people out there looking for jobs.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 3:08 PM, peckbill wrote:

    There are still a lot of problems with who can apply, where they can apply and what do they need to be qualified. I am aware of one male that is unemployed, is medically not able to work that was told he has to get a medical evaluation (to get a medical evaluation, the hospital wants over $200.00 up front for the evaluation. Where does he get the money? He gives up and stays on the list as one that doesn’t apply) before they will give him Medicaid. The workers in the field are either not knowledgeable or they are discouraging young people from applying. Training and guidance is needed in the field; not just at the federal level. A major factor tied to low sign ups by the young is the availability of information about what is happening in the individual states. The young people are not getting the word and do not know what is happening, i.e., 23 states are currently expanding Medicaid, 4 states have a customized Medicaid expansion, 4 states are undecided about Medicaid expansion and 20 states are currently not going to expand. Get the word out, put pressure on the states and you will see an increase in the number of young adults signing up on the ACA websites. Keep hiding the information and the program will dies for lack of inputs.

    Young people operate in a crisis mode; if there is not a crisis they would rather do nothing but visit with friends they are not supposed to be with, drink what they are not supposed to drink, eat only when starving or junk food, treat money as though it were trash and give it away to a friend or buy junk with it. They have a brain that is not yet developed and it probably won't develop for years to come; some brains will never develop because of burn out. Girls think of boys and what is hung between their legs and boys think of girls and what is between their legs; both often think with these body parts. When they get sick it is an emergency or Mom and Dad take care of them. Trying to entice young people to do the right thing is almost impossible. This is a very big mistake that was made with the ACA.

    Also keep in mind that many young people, especially males, are out of work or have only part time employment and should qualify for Medicaid, but they will not apply because they are lazy and/or believe that anything that is free has attachments tied to it and they want nothing to do with it. Many young males try to apply for Medicaid and are turned away because they cannot prove that they are unemployed or disabled and are told the program is for women only or males below 18 years of age, or they must get a medical evaluation; where is the money coming from to get a medical evaluation?

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 6:37 PM, peckbill wrote:

    The GOP shouldn't wait too long before it drops the Tea Party and throws their support behind the ACA. The American people have long memories and memories have relatives.

  • Report this Comment On November 11, 2013, at 6:06 AM, FOOLSisACA wrote:

    peckbill, I am not sure where to start with you because you clearly are in some other reality! Unless you are speaking of yourself and the way you have conducted your uneducated life? Ignorance is bliss I guess but unfortunately for society your inability to educate yourself leaves the rest of us paying for what you state is "free"

    QUOTE:

    Also keep in mind that many young people, especially males, are out of work or have only part time employment and should qualify for Medicaid, but they will not apply because they are lazy and/or believe that anything that is free has attachments tied to it and they want nothing to do with it

  • Report this Comment On November 11, 2013, at 6:22 AM, Stevegarry22 wrote:

    Anyone that votes for a democrat in 2014 is a brain dead fool!

    "If you like your plan, you can keep it. Period"

    "If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. Period"

    These lies were told 24 times by odumbo alone, not to mention Harry Reid, and "Lets just get this signed into law, and then we'll read it" Nancy Piglosi.

    How's that hope and change garbage working out for you idiots that voted for these lying morons?

  • Report this Comment On November 11, 2013, at 7:56 AM, FOOLSisACA wrote:

    It is amazing to me how people in our country (USA) think and what they are willing to accept on the word of the Politicians! How anyone in their right mind can think Obamacare will be a good thing, well clearly they are not in their right mind. Being forced to purchase health insurance by your Government, which btw they do not have to be part of this debacle but anyway, against your will, enforced by the IRS,non-medical panel to make decisions,Gov. will have all possible information on you in their data systems. I won't get into the NSA data center being built, those with a brain will understand! We are no longer America home of the Free, no Obama has taken care of that with his many executive orders that restrict how you live,learn,travel or protect yourself. Transformation of America is what Obama said he will do and I think it was the only thing he didn't lie about!! Well my rant is over for now because it all just gets me sick and pissed off talking about everything that is happening in our country. I don't like negative focus because it can be destructive soooo with that said make it your goal to learn what is really a foot here, research, learn, ask questions and then rise to the occasion! Please wake up people...

Add your comment.

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2720006, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 8/20/2014 6:52:44 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Dan Caplinger
TMFGalagan

Dan Caplinger has been a contract writer for the Motley Fool since 2006. As the Fool's Director of Investment Planning, Dan oversees much of the personal-finance and investment-planning content published daily on Fool.com. With a background as an estate-planning attorney and independent financial consultant, Dan's articles are based on more than 20 years of experience from all angles of the financial world.

Today's Market

updated 9 hours ago Sponsored by:
DOW 16,919.59 80.85 0.48%
S&P 500 1,981.60 9.86 0.50%
NASD 4,527.51 19.20 0.43%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Better investing starts with a watchlist. Now you can create a personalized watchlist and get immediate access to the personalized information you need to make successful investing decisions.

Data delayed up to 5 minutes

Related Tickers

8/19/2014 4:00 PM
AET $79.12 Up +1.08 +1.38%
Aetna, Inc. CAPS Rating: ***
CI $93.68 Up +0.53 +0.57%
Cigna Corporation CAPS Rating: ****
UNH $83.47 Up +1.13 +1.37%
UnitedHealth Group CAPS Rating: ****
WLP $113.62 Up +1.22 +1.09%
WellPoint CAPS Rating: ****

Advertisement