Recs

Why Retirement Is Overrated

"How much money do I need to retire?"

"How much should I be saving per year toward my retirement?"

"Should I save for my kids' education first, or my retirement?"

If you're on a quest for financial stability, chances are you've asked yourself questions like these (and many more). Of all the juggling balls we try to keep in the air, retirement often seems the biggest.

But focusing too much on your retirement could lead you in the wrong direction. Consider these four big reasons why retirement is overrated.

1. Tunnel vision blocks other opportunities
The financial industry sometimes hails retirement as the primary goal of good financial planning. But "healthy finances" encompasses everything from paying off your debts to buying a home to preparing your children for college. Retirement is but a single (though important) piece of this larger picture.

You need to take into account all aspects of financial planning, and this could mean prioritizing certain goals over others based on your current life circumstances. If you're burdened with high-interest consumer debt, focus on paying that down as quickly as possible. This will free you to pursue other goals down the road. If you have three growing children, make sure you're saving enough for their college funds. That doesn't mean you should prioritize their education over your own retirement; it means your retirement shouldn't be the singular focus of your financial plan.

You can still save for retirement while going after these other goals. Make sure you don't get tunnel vision and focus exclusively on one goal to the detriment of others.

2. You shouldn't defer your dreams
If you spend a lot of time daydreaming about the things you want to do when you retire -- travel, read, exercise, paint, learn to play the guitar -- then you're guilty of dream deferment.

Many people adopt a "nose to the grindstone" mentality for the majority of their adult lives, assuming they need to be "all work, no play" so that when they reach that magical golden age, they can finally pursue their passions.

But who says you have to wait?

In reality, it's far better to start living now, in the moment, rather than deferring all enjoyment to a later date. You don't know what your "golden years" will bring; you may not be healthy enough to take those dance lessons or enjoy that European cruise. So don't put everything on hold until retirement. You may need to trim back your current working hours in order to find the time to pursue other passions, but it will be worth it. Neglecting the present is every bit as bad as neglecting the future. Find a healthy balance in the middle.

3. Not working isn't all it's cracked up to be
Many of us know someone who reached retirement age only to realize they weren't cut out for retirement as we traditionally define it. Plenty of people who have spent their lives working hard find the prospect of unstructured, leisurely days mind-numbing.

Our time-honored practice of working hard until we reach a certain age, and then never working again, doesn't work for everyone. Some people throw themselves into charity work after retirement; others take a part-time job to keep busy.

Rather than focusing on working like a dog until you're 65 and then doing nothing, focus on achieving a work/life balance that allows you to contribute positively to the world while also fulfilling yourself personally. It's a much healthier strategy, and it will allow you to find happiness whether you're 65, 25, or anywhere in between.

4. "Retirement" is a circumstance, not a milestone
Finally, retirement should not be an artificial cutoff date that has nothing to do with your ability or inclination to continue working. Rather, it should be the point in your life where you cannot (or choose not to) work anymore, whether it's due to health, family, or sheer lack of desire.

The age at which you reach this point in your life is a highly personal choice, and you can't always predict it. The best way to prepare for it is to live a life that brings you joy now while also setting aside enough so that you'll be able to live comfortably when you reach the point at which you can no longer work.

How to get even more income during retirement
Social Security plays a key role in your financial security, but it's not the only way to boost your retirement income. In our brand-new free report, our retirement experts give their insight on a simple strategy to take advantage of a little-known IRS rule that can help ensure a more comfortable retirement for you and your family. Click here to get your copy today.

• Report this Comment On July 13, 2014, at 5:44 PM, storyman41 wrote:

I am 73, retired 16 years. I agree with much of this. Being retired means that you are your own boss. If you are a good boss, great. If not, not. I had to assume ownership of myself. I am able to contribute heavily to the world and my fellow humans. I became a professional storyteller before I retired and continue to this day. I am pretty much the gatekeeper in my extended family. I am actively involved in church and have friends with whom I am active. None of this happens by itself. If the only you can be happy is to be bossed by somebody else, do not retire. Have a good day.

• Report this Comment On July 13, 2014, at 6:35 PM, pns123 wrote:

I'm 64 and I don't work. But I don't call myself "retired". The trick is to have KMA money so that you can do what you want. Keep working?, do nothing?, travel?. If you can afford it, you can do what you want. That is the goal.

And you don't want to be scurrying around when you are 62 looking for ways to pay the bills.

• Report this Comment On July 13, 2014, at 6:40 PM, carlytx wrote:

Retirement can be a time to redefine oneself and find new interests. I just read several great guest posts on the site Retirement And Good Living by recent retirees and what they are doing during their retirement. They are sailing full time, RVing in the US and New Zealand, backpacking across the globe, volunteering with the Peace Corps, biking in Europe, retiring overseas, starting businesses based on hobbies, downsizing and more. It gives you a great perspective of the possibilities.

• Report this Comment On July 13, 2014, at 9:18 PM, arkbiz wrote:

I certainly agree on that deferring your dreams isn't very desirable - although you need to strike a balance with the need to delay some gratification. By my mid-30's began on insisting on better work scheduling and more scheduled time off. Consequently, before I retired, I had seen a lot of the country as a tourist and camper. It definitely helped my marriage and it was lots of fun. Ever been charged by a moose or had to chop your way out of a forest when trees blocked the road?

But I disagree that retirement isn't all its cracked up to be. The trick is to have solid discretionary money - but also to have challenges. A lot of folks won't really like a retirement community where nearly all their problems are solved for them.

• Report this Comment On July 14, 2014, at 5:44 AM, Shila wrote:

Paula Pant’s advice is very practical. Life is not only at the end of a tunnel. Life may be and should be enjoyed at each phase provided you make proper financial planning. Recently I had seen another article http://www.banks.com/articles/managing-your-money-five-stage... which suggests different savings and spending strategies for five different phases of life. You need not defer all your dreams!

• Report this Comment On July 14, 2014, at 12:27 PM, Mathman6577 wrote:

I can concur with most of this article but people should be careful about advice such as "you may have to work longer" from some financial planners because they want to be able to profit from you for a longer time period. I think most people can plan their own retirement (or lifestyle) with a minimal amount of help from a financial planner (a checkup once a year might be all your need). A life coach (fee-based and not commission-based) might be a another option for many people. More important than investing (i.e. where to put your money and what most financial planners can offer) is having the correct amount money to begin with (i.e. having a budget and savings plan in place and that is more emotional).

• Report this Comment On July 15, 2014, at 9:38 AM, gskinner75006 wrote:

Life is what you make of it, but retirement is far from overrated.