Recs

Social Security: Will IRA Withdrawals Threaten Your Benefits?

Social Security is a key part of your financial security in retirement, but many people are also fortunate enough to have retirement accounts like IRAs that they can draw from. However, many people fear that taking money out of an IRA jeopardizes your Social Security benefits.

In the following video, Dan Caplinger, The Motley Fool's director of investment planning, goes through the things retirees have to watch out for when considering withdrawing money from their IRAs. On one hand, Dan notes that there's no provision that forces you to forfeit Social Security benefits based on IRA withdrawals, even if you take Social Security early. The only forfeiture provision applies to wage and salary income, not IRA income. Yet Dan also points out that under some circumstances, Social Security benefits can be subject to taxation, and withdrawals from a traditional IRA can boost the income the IRS takes into account in calculating taxes on your benefits. As a result, Dan concludes that it's smart to coordinate your retirement account withdrawals to make sure that you minimize your taxes.

Make the most of Social Security
Knowing the tricks and traps of Social Security is essential to make sure you don't miss out on valuable benefits. In our brand-new free report, "Make Social Security Work Harder for You," our retirement experts give their insight on making the key decisions that will help ensure a more comfortable retirement for you and your family. Click here to get your copy today.

• Report this Comment On January 25, 2014, at 2:53 PM, JosephBDFW wrote:

Doesn't it also raise your Medicare Part B premium?

• Report this Comment On January 25, 2014, at 3:00 PM, jeanieb wrote:

When I took funds from my IRA, I was not aware that what I took out was over the allowable amount without affecting my SS, and that it would be added as income which caused my taxes to increase tremendously. Also because of this, my SS was decreased by $500 which would remain in place until the next year. Did everybody, except me, know this?

• Report this Comment On January 25, 2014, at 3:02 PM, jeanieb wrote:

Yes it did. I could accept that better than taking that much from my SS.

• Report this Comment On January 25, 2014, at 4:43 PM, ugo wrote:

Anyone see the WSJ article about seniors being secretly rich?

• Report this Comment On January 25, 2014, at 7:29 PM, mark1968 wrote:

@jeanieb, someway you made a mistake. IRA's aren't earned income and CAN'T cause your SS to be reduced. Check with the SS office as it seems you reported the income as Earned Income.

• Report this Comment On January 25, 2014, at 10:07 PM, TheAncient wrote:

This is why I dumped or moved all my IRAs to other funds before I retired.

• Report this Comment On January 26, 2014, at 10:02 AM, bella66 wrote:

But, when you have retirement income from companies that you worked for then your SS is adjusted down. Also, inherited monies from IRA's and 401'Ks can cause a decrease in your SS income. I know, as my income from SS dropped by $200 monthly because I worked and have saved and have additional sources. Sorry, but the government is always looking at ways to get at the monies of the middle class.

• Report this Comment On January 26, 2014, at 11:15 AM, LadyMantle wrote:

Is there a way of taking a small monthly distribution from an IRA to supplement SS? How is this set up with the banks?

Even though IRAs are tax deferred and you pay income tax on it when you take distributions, they are not considered "earned income" that would be subject to an "earnings limit." That is my understanding. Anyone beg to differ?

• Report this Comment On January 27, 2014, at 9:22 AM, fnurl wrote:

When you use the worksheet to calculate if any of your SS benefits are taxable, line 3 instructs you to "combine lines 7, 8a, 9a, 10 through 14, 15b, 16b, 17 through 19, and 21" if you are using form 1040 or, lines 7, 8a, 9a,10, 11b, 12b and 13 if using form 1040A. Line 16b on 1040 (not sure which line on 1040b) is an IRA distribution so it definitely comes into play when calculating taxable amount. The more you withdraw from your IRA, the more of your SS benefits are subject to tax. If you withdraw a big chunk out of your IRA, it's possible that all of your SS benefits could be taxable. Also, watch out for line 21 - that's gambling winnings. If you even win $1000 on the lottery, that comes right off of your SS benefits.