I'm a PC, Made on a Mac

I don't exactly feel sorry for Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT  ) , but the brewing brouhaha over its latest ad -- and a very good ad, if I do say so -- is so funny that it's sad. AppleInsider reports that Mr. Softy's new "I'm a PC" pitches, which substitute for the goofy and ill-fated Bill Gates-Jerry Seinfeld team-ups, appear to have been created using Macs.

Oh, the irony.

A Flickr user named LuisDS made the discovery. AppleInsider says he found traces of Apple's (Nasdaq: AAPL  ) Mac OS X operating system and Adobe's (Nasdaq: ADBE  ) Creative Suite 3 in the metadata files of the video.

Microsoft, for its part, issued a non-denial denial in response to the story: "As is common in almost all campaign workflow, agencies and production houses use a wide variety of software and hardware to create, edit, and distribute content, including both Macs and PCs."

Fair enough. And, again, let's give Microsoft's ad agency some credit. The ads, which feature common users to defy the conventional thinking that all PC users are nerdy, suit-wearing Excel geeks, work brilliantly because they're spot-on. Not all creative folks are freaks for Apple gear. A family friend is a photographer whose sophisticated digital equipment is managed with a PC laptop. She's a Windows user and proud of it.

And she's not alone. Dell (Nasdaq: DELL  ) sold 19% more stuff in its latest quarter. Hewlett-Packard (NYSE: HPQ  ) , whose sales are growing and margins expanding, has been the worldwide leader in PC notebook shipments for eight straight quarters, Mac Observer reports.

Still, this revelation speaks volumes. It says that while Macs are winning favor with hardened Windows users, not enough hardened Mac users are giving Windows a try.

Get your clicks with related Foolishness:

Fool contributor Tim Beyers didn't own shares in any of the companies mentioned in this article at the time of publication. He also hunts for the best of tech as a contributor to Motley Fool Rule Breakers. Try this market-beating service free for 30 days. Get access to all of Tim's Foolish writings.

Apple is a Stock Advisor selection. Dell and Microsoft are Inside Value picks. The Motley Fool's disclosure policy would rather not talk about its short-lived career starring in 1970s shampoo ads.

• Report this Comment On September 22, 2008, at 2:34 PM, oddvan wrote:

Media people having been using Mac since the beginning of time.

So this is not somthing in anyway new. In fact I would be more suprised to find that MSFT would be so shallow as to try and tell an ad company what hardware to use. That would have been a real story.

Apple is doing fine, but has little chance of gaing ground in the world market. Sure it doing fine with wealthy people in wealthy countries , but I really think people forget that the number of PCs is set to more than double over the next 5-10 years. And most of that will be first time owners in the less developed world. Do you really think they will be buying a billion Apple machines, Or will they be buying about billion PCs running Windows OS flavors designed for and perhaps even by the local market.

This is what the fanboys miss, they forget the world does not really spin directly around an ipod. iT

(long Goog Msft and a host of others)

• Report this Comment On September 22, 2008, at 4:44 PM, larryhl wrote:

I think that the writer's last sentence speaks for itself. PC users are willing to use everything available to them. I have no trouble finding myself around the Mac OS. However I still prefer to use my Windows XP-based desktop (that also boots into Ubuntu Linux for those times I need it) and my Windows Vista (yes, THAT Vista) laptops. I find that Apple fanboys are just that: fanboys, with all the immaturity that the word suggests. Plus the fact that Macs are now PCs with nice white cases (I love Apple's packaging, though not really much of anything else of theirs. And my brother runs Windows Vista on his Macbook Pro, again, yes, THAT Vista) due to the switch to Intel processors, and I really don't see why people are still trying to make such a big deal out of the Apple/Windows thing.

• Report this Comment On September 30, 2008, at 9:26 PM, iPhoned wrote:

As a long time Apple user, I no longer feel bad when people bash Macs. Think of the hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of tech support jobs that wouldn't exist, and millions, maybe billions of dollars that wouldn't be spent around the world if Apple was the only OS in use.

Also think of all the zillions of often faddy, useless, software titles, peripherals and upgrades that have become a whole industry to themselves!

There are a LOT of people that drive plain cars and spend lots of money embellishing them with junk.

The automotive accessory, and performance aftermarket is enormous.

Not everyone can be expected to drive a Ferrari, or can afford to.

Macs are the Ferrari's of Computers.

Apple boasts the fastest machines with the cleanest lines and designs on the planet.

There is of course the occasional exception of sleek, but more often overly adorned & gawdy one-off PCs. Like 'Bradley GTs' or 'Deloreans' were to real supercars, these PCs are often feeble attempts to beat Apple at the game it owns: High End Consumer Computing Platforms.

We "Macs" don't mind, we know that

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2009, at 1:06 PM, none0such wrote:

"Macs are the Ferrari's of Computers."

... but apparently not the Lamborghini of computers which runs Vista.

• Report this Comment On December 09, 2009, at 7:07 PM, Fool wrote:

I gave PCs a try and disliked them and still dislike them I have used Macs since I was five and wouldn't waste anymore time than I already have with PCs. I think even Microsoft realizes that Macs are better because they are using them to make their ads. It makes sense though because I have had friends with PCs who have had problems with them especially trying to run things like CS3 or CS4.

If we are comparing cars to computers I would say macs are like a top of the line Ferrari, high quality well made and reliable but at a bit of a price and the better PC models are like Hummers big and flashy but really clunky and wasteful and the average PC is like an older minivan, gets the job done but no bells or whistles most people laugh it at it and are prone to problems.

Windows 7 is like a "pimped out" Yugo with really fancy parts but put onto a Zastava Koral aka Yugo.

OSX Snow Leopard is like a new model sports car. A decent ride with a lot of great stuff and a quality body but it is a new model so there are still problems to be worked out for future versions.