Results: The Best Stocks for 2010

After some stiff competition, tons of lively debate by our analysts and readers, and almost 10,000 votes cast, we're down to the final candidates for the title of "Best Stock for 2010."

Last week, our writers compiled a list of 13 best stock contenders. Your votes have eliminated high-quality contestants like Intel (Nasdaq: INTC  ) and Akamai (Nasdaq: AKAM  ) , leaving these five:

Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL  )
Rick Munarriz believes Apple has plenty of growth left in its iPhone and MacBooks franchises ... plus a big opportunity to take on Amazon's Kindle. Read his whole argument here.

Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE: BRK-A  )
Morgan Housel argues that Warren Buffett's company is still selling at prices we haven't seen in years. Read his whole argument here.

Costco (Nasdaq: COST  )
Alyce Lomax argues we should pay up for Costco's quality management rather than chase false bargains. Read her whole argument here.

Silver Wheaton (NYSE: SLW  )
Christopher Barker proves that not all that glitters is gold by touting this silver player as his favorite stock. Read his whole argument here.

UPS (NYSE: UPS  )
Rich Smith sees a margin recovery story for the shipper with the sharp brown shorts. He even cites some Wall Street backup. Read his whole argument here.

Help us determine the winner by voting below. Then make your best case in the comments section.

Anand Chokkavelu owns shares of Berkshire Hathaway. You can follow him on Twitter. Costco and Intel are Motley Fool Inside Valuepicks. Akamai Technologies is a Motley Fool Rule Breakers recommendation. Apple, Amazon.com, and Costco are Motley Fool Stock Advisor picks. Motley Fool Options has recommended buying calls on Intel. United Parcel Service is a Motley Fool Income Investor pick. The Fool owns shares of Costco. Check out all of our investing newsletter services. The Fool has a disclosure policy.

• Report this Comment On January 05, 2010, at 8:01 PM, roguesisland wrote:

Walmart, Intel, GE, Ford and FedEx should be the five on the list. I will not vote for any on your 2010 list, especially Apple: overrated, overbought, overhyped... not necessarily in that order.

• Report this Comment On January 05, 2010, at 8:58 PM, moneymog wrote:

As I have said before, while the day traders get burnt by this stock, more often then not, I will continue to just hold it until it hits about $20 a share.

Security is also a nation protecting its blood supply and CERUS (cers) is my super hold. Read about it and think Q3 2010.

Have a profitable new year!

• Report this Comment On January 06, 2010, at 8:09 AM, sonnypage wrote:

I don't know if I should be pleased or concerned that "my" stock, Silver Wheaton, has been Foolishly discovered. I bought my first shares at $2.98 back on Oct 28th,2008 and was seriously long, largest position, six weeks later. Buying it aggressively back then took some nerve since the end of the world was still supposedly close at hand.

Silver Wheaton is as pure a play on the price of silver you can find. Keep in mind, it's not a "silver miner", but instead a "silver streaming company". There are no Silver Wheaton miners scrambling around down in Silver Wheaton mines because they have no such mines. Rather, they buy under long term contract the "waste" silver of other miners who are mining for gold or copper but also produce trace amounts of silver. Silver Wheaton has sixteen such silver streaming agreements with more on the way.

I remain very long.

• Report this Comment On January 06, 2010, at 10:08 AM, gimponthego wrote:

All the big growth stocks start out with a high PE. Nature of the beast. Do your DD.

That's why I'm long on RAX and Cloud Computing. CCU's P/E made Rackspace look like a turtle in the growth days. I bought in at the $10 IPO and cashed out many years later at $89+...RAX reminds me a lot of CCU in that regard, plus having the happiest employees in the biz as reported by Forbes doesn't hurt.

Put me down for RAX, EGO, JOYG and ARST...Long

• Report this Comment On January 06, 2010, at 11:42 AM, galtline wrote:

I voted for SLW as well. I'm in at $2.98, but I believe it still has legs....particularly compared with the others listed.

Not on the list (but mentioned by gimponthego), I would put RAX. I operate an Application Service Provider, and have been shutting down my servers in favor of migrating them to Rackspace's cloud computing platform. My experience (even with occasional outages) has been very favorable. Making this change has just made sense, and I suspect more and more companies will see the value of this.

• Report this Comment On January 06, 2010, at 11:45 AM, topsecret09 wrote:

Berkshire Is losing so that means I am buying...... TS

• Report this Comment On January 06, 2010, at 11:52 AM, JakilaTheHun wrote:

These are all dreadful picks. It would appear that readers simply voted the most recognizable names (other than GOOG) into the top 5.

AAPL is overvalued and faces more aggressive challenges from competitors in the smartphone industry. It will get an artificial boost via a different accounting treatment for its iPhone sells, which will make its profitability *appear* greater, but won't actually change things.

SLW is a good company, but is getting close to fairly valued.

BRK-A is a spectacular company, but let's be serious here --- giant conglomerates are very rarely the best stocks of a given year.

COST has historically traded with a high correlation to the broader market.

UPS seems like a strange pick, but I don't know enough to comment.

My selections for 2010:

Aggressive picks ---

Synovus Financial (SNV)

Glimcher Realty Trust (GRT)

Hersha Hospitality Trust (HT)

Defensive picks ---

Chevron (CVX)

Entergy (ETR)

• Report this Comment On January 06, 2010, at 12:07 PM, FreddyWhite wrote:

My Pick is China Wind Systems (CWS) partially becuase I have no clue how to read companies but I know wind power is coming and China is taking the reins.

• Report this Comment On January 06, 2010, at 12:30 PM, XMFSinchiruna wrote:

JakilaTheHun,

"SLW is a good company, but is getting close to fairly valued."

Would you care to back that statement up? I suggested in the article that fair value is closer to twice the present share price at existing silver prices. If you'd like to make a case to the contrary, be my guest. :)

Fool on!

• Report this Comment On January 06, 2010, at 12:47 PM, Melaschasm wrote:

SLW will start out great, but when the economy goes into a double dip recession, it will get hammered. Berkshire's railroad investment should help them lose less money than the market, since the new carbon taxes will favor that industry.

• Report this Comment On January 08, 2010, at 9:23 AM, gimponthego wrote:

Freddy..China is a tree of fruit ready to be picked. JOYG just signed two major Billion Dollar contracts with (1)China and (2) India. Emerging markets that utilize the coal mine building equipment JOYG produces. We have a surplus of coal...not these guys. They require coal to fuel the construction of their energy plants. Off it's high of $82 in May '08..JOYG is trading up and heading north. Do some DD and see what you think. While a little pricy for some ($57+) this is a solid investment.

I always keep some SLW..as well as EGO..gold is headed back to $1200 sooner than later. Look how it turned on a dime after today's job report. Up $7+ as we post and that's reflected in EGO's pre market price. SLW/EGO/JOYG and ARST, all worthy of your consideration. Stay warm, Fools!

• Report this Comment On January 08, 2010, at 11:01 AM, RobertC314 wrote:

"SLW will start out great, but when the economy goes into a double dip recession, it will get hammered."

I thought that was an interesting comment... if we go into a double-dip recession wouldn't silver (and thus SLW) go up even more as people once again flee to precious metals? Or have I misunderstood the nature of the beast?

• Report this Comment On January 08, 2010, at 11:06 AM, utilityguy wrote:

I like ZTE Corp (ZTCOF). Huge growth opportunities, not well known in the US. Both internal growth and underlying market momentum are in its favor, as is the company's capabilities to deliver 3G and 4G networks in the fastest growing markets across the globe. Has been up about 240% since getting long early last year with splits and price appreciation.

• Report this Comment On January 08, 2010, at 1:22 PM, FoolJoe100 wrote:

SLW has my vote. My Guru says fair value is about $30 vs current price of $16. Additionally, expected earnings growth is 30% and sales 77%. On this basis, it looks lots better than the other choices

• Report this Comment On January 08, 2010, at 1:23 PM, TheRockmeister wrote:

Ford (F) should be on this list. Its the come back kid of America and turning out both green cars and auto internet capabilities are coming. Design is desirable, sales are up 33% over the previous 2008 YE. And, huge employee benefit debt has been paid down and paid in advance by what $500 Million...

Fool On!

• Report this Comment On January 08, 2010, at 1:27 PM, TheRockmeister wrote:

Fool On!

• Report this Comment On January 08, 2010, at 4:27 PM, kcjc0506 wrote:

What about DWA?

• Report this Comment On January 15, 2010, at 2:55 AM, therearenone wrote:

I too like Ford (F), a strong turnaround stock, BRKB, due for a 50:1 split bump, SLV - pure silver EFT, same with GLD. I sold SLW after a 50%+ run up as with NEM, FCM and other gold and silver mining stocks. Have been disappointed by UNG URRE and DNN natural gas and Uranium commodities and producers seem to be over sold.

• Report this Comment On January 19, 2010, at 1:33 PM, JaysRage wrote:

This list just keeps getting worse. The only stock that has a chance to be a top performer on this list is SLW, and it's contingent on an economic meltdown.

• Report this Comment On April 28, 2010, at 12:25 PM, moneymog wrote:

Are you folks blind? No meltdown or super bull needed for this stock.

I bought tons of CERUS at under $1.80 a share and am up over 140% in 8 months. The stock target is $5 with two strong buys. I have followed this stock for 7 years and been well rewarded.

This stock is not effected by the current economy because it is blood transfusion purity based. Every country will, sooner or later, require the Intercept system that kills HIV and other viruses and pathogens in blood, without ruining the blood!

I see this stock at about $14 a share by year end because all three parts of the Intercept system have either passed phase three trials or are (blood cell) in process of passing. Our military is keenly interested.

France, Belgium and Germany are are current users as is Saudi Arabia and some near east countries.

The top for this stock could be $80 a share.

• Report this Comment On September 18, 2010, at 12:38 PM, moneymog wrote:

ALL OF YOU ARE WRONG!

My CERS is up 161 percent in 18 months and 19 percent in 1 year and 15 percent in 3 months.

It has not even begun to take off yet. It is going to hit about $14 by December from $3.74 now.

Read the profile of the company and go long.

No company has such a crucial product as CERUS (CERS nas).

• Report this Comment On September 18, 2010, at 12:40 PM, moneymog wrote:

Correction up 79% in one year. CERS

• Report this Comment On November 10, 2010, at 10:41 PM, moneymog wrote:

Here is your chance to buy into Cerus for $2.50.

No excuses after today.

This was the chance and a 5 year warrant to buy a share at a bargain price later.

Have fun.