Fool Blog: The iPad's Failure to Launch

When Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL  ) CEO Steve Jobs unveiled his company's long-awaited tablet computer, dubbed the iPad, I had a thought I've never had before while watching Jobs present:

"I am sooooooo watching Saturday Night Live this week."

I'll be stunned if Andy Samberg doesn't star in yet another classic SNL Digital Short, this one about using technology for days when you just don't feel like yourself. Oh, wait. the cast of MADtv already did that. They also lampooned Apple's entire "i" line of products. Not that any of this will stop SNL; "iPad" is too easy a target for ridicule. The cast is going to have all sorts of fun with it.

Yeah, I get the connection to the iPod and the (ahem) synergy and brand equity that exists there. I've got news for the fanboys: Funny trumps brand every single time. It's why kids still laugh at Kraft Foods' (NYSE: KFT  ) Grey Poupon Dijon mustard, as if it were made for a Bart Simpson prank call.

The iPad is cut from the same mold. Expect SNL to make hay. The show should enjoy strong ratings this weekend, pleasing its corporate masters at Comcast (Nasdaq: CMCSA  ) and General Electric (NYSE: GE  ) .

Look for them. They'll be the ones laughing all the way to the bank.

Apple is a Motley Fool Stock Advisor selection. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days.

Fool contributor Tim Beyers is all out of black turtlenecks. He had stock and options positions in Apple at the time of publication. Check out Tim's portfolio holdings and Foolish writings, or connect with him on Twitter as @milehighfool. The Motley Fool is also on Twitter as @TheMotleyFool. You can call the Fool's disclosure policy Aaron Burr for the way it's dropping Hamiltons.

• Report this Comment On January 28, 2010, at 1:56 PM, wrongdog wrote:

you are a child

• Report this Comment On January 28, 2010, at 2:01 PM, FoolInFL wrote:
  • Report this Comment On January 28, 2010, at 2:20 PM, AlanDanziger wrote:

It's not that I disagree at all with the article, but I have to wonder... What's the relevance of the title of the article, with respect to the content?

"What was Apple thinking?" would be a more relevant title... :-)

• Report this Comment On January 28, 2010, at 10:19 PM, lutece7 wrote:

Tim Beyers has a real chip on his shoulder when it comes to Apple. What is his problem? Is it because he feels bad that he never bought AAPL and has missed out?

One day, when Apple is at 500, today's prices will seem like a bargain. Its never too late Tim.

It was Conan O'brien that had the funniest spoof of the iPhone introduction. HIlarious. I laughed too! But it was Jobs, Apple, and us shareholders that were laughing all the way to the bank.

• Report this Comment On January 29, 2010, at 5:40 AM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

Hello lutece7,

Thanks for writing. Now, allow me to direct you to the disclosure line:

Both positions have more than doubled from my buy-in prices. I've had similar success owning positions in Apple in years past:

Also, I think today's valuation is reasonable:

I don't have a chip on my shoulder, lutece7. I just call 'em as I see 'em, even if that means sticking it to a stock I own.

FWIW and Foolish best,

Tim (TMFMileHigh and @milehighfool on Twitter)

• Report this Comment On January 29, 2010, at 11:14 AM, lutece7 wrote:

thanks for your reply. I apologize for being wrong about Tim Beyer's motivation.

I still think it is odd that almost all the regular contributors on Fool knock Apple all the time.

Are they perfect? No. But they do such an amazing job for computer users, mobile device users, and stockholders. I think it is always going to be popular to go against the grain and take pot shots at great men, great companies, and so on. I suppose you get more reaction and more notice that way.

• Report this Comment On January 29, 2010, at 11:22 AM, Turfscape wrote:

You know...I think we're already hitting the saturation point of iPad jokes. I was making 'em in the run-up to the release event, like everyone else. But, it's just too easy and has quickly become tiresome. All the jokes are the same!

We've hit the backlash backlash!

If SNL spoofs the iPad, I sincerely hope it's better than what MadTV did 3 years ago...by an order of magnitude! Otherwise it really will be nothing more that a pre-adolescent "grey poupon" joke.

• Report this Comment On January 29, 2010, at 12:56 PM, alwaysintrouble wrote:

iPad is an entertainment device. How many more can the market absorb? The wi-fi version looks to me to be virtually useless so I don't see why they even offer it. I would say the big one should be priced at the same price as the iPhone and go down from there-it seems overpriced to me.

• Report this Comment On January 31, 2010, at 3:10 PM, lutece7 wrote:

I watched Saturday Night LIve last night and there was NO iPad spoof.