Will You Buy the New iPhone?

In about an hour The Motley Fool's top technology analysts will be hosting a live chat on the iPhone launch event. We'll start blogging at 12:45 Eastern/9:45 Pacific and won't stop until Tim Cook's off the stage. The best part? We'll be taking any questions you have about the iPhone or Apple as an investment. So make sure to come back to Fool.com at 12:45 as we await the next iPhone!

Happy iPhone 5 (or 4s) Day!

After long months of waiting, Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL  ) will hold a press conference in San Francisco today during which new CEO Tim Cook is expected to introduce the new handset. My colleagues and I will be live-blogging the event so be sure to stay tuned at Fool.com for continuous coverage.

Before we get started, though, I'm asking what you think about the new iCandy. All signs point to a fast, voice-activated handset that does a better job of embedding Facebook. Does that get you excited? Or are you hoping for more?

And what if -- as the rumors say -- Apple simultaneously releases its new handset through AT&T (NYSE: T  ) , Verizon (NYSE: VZ  ) , Sprint Nextel (NYSE: S  ) , and maybe even T-Mobile? Would you switch from your existing provider? (A more recent rumor says Sprint could be the exclusive carrier for the iPhone 5.)

Finally, what about trade-ins? Are you preparing to ditch your iPhone 3G, 3Gs, or 4 in order to upgrade? Apple released the iPhone 4 to antenna issues more than a year ago. Since then, Google (Nasdaq: GOOG  ) and its partners have revved up sales of Android handsets as Research In Motion (Nasdaq: RIMM  ) and Nokia (NYSE: NOK  ) have struggled to win converts to their newest smart devices.

I can only speak for myself, but as a longtime Apple shareholder and off-contract AT&T subscriber, I'll be weighing every option afforded me by the new iPhone -- including the possibility of dumping AT&T for a different carrier.

But even that's a long shot, I suspect. My iPhone 3Gs is more data device than phone, and on AT&T's 3G network it serves email and videos plenty fast. Calls get dropped, sure, but I've come to rely on Google and Skype for telephony much more than AT&T. Data is what I need, and between the new Ma Bell and a heavy dose of Wi-Fi, the 3Gs delivers.

And you? What are your upgrade intentions? Please vote in the poll below and then leave a comment to let us know what you expect from the new iPhone. You can also add any of these stocks to your Foolish watchlist for ongoing coverage.

Fool contributor Tim Beyers is a member of the Motley Fool Rule Breakers stock-picking team. He owned shares of Apple and Google at the time of publication. Check out Tim's portfolio holdings and Foolish writings, or connect with him on Google or Twitter, where he goes by @milehighfool. You can also get his insights delivered directly to your RSS reader.

The Motley Fool owns shares of Apple, Google, and Research In Motion. Motley Fool newsletter services have recommended buying shares of Apple, Google, and AT&T, as well as creating a bull call spread position in Apple. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

• Report this Comment On October 04, 2011, at 1:24 PM, Bkeepr100 wrote:

Why isn't there a choice for I don't want one?

This poll is made lopside by the way it is worded.

There are many people that will not buy one that are not being represnted in this poll.

My .02 cents

B-man Rick

• Report this Comment On October 04, 2011, at 2:19 PM, ourporch wrote:

Agree with B-man Rick. I am with Verizon, AT&T or any other carriers don't cover my area well and I'm not switching just to get an iPhone. When I have the chance to upgrade with Verizon, June 2012, I will probably go with a 3G version iPhone or 4G if Verizon has 4G in my area by then. Wait and see.

Thanks

ourporch

• Report this Comment On October 04, 2011, at 2:53 PM, Gato337 wrote:

My AT&T contract renewed in June, but I've been waiting on the new iPhone announcement to replace my 2.5 year-old iPhone 3G (which i bought at a discount right after they debuted the 3GS). I might have considered shelling out the $$$ for an iPhone 5 if there would be significant benefit for me, but since that's not going to happen, I think i'll upgrade my 3G iPhone with the reduced-price iPhone 4 for $100 instead.

• Report this Comment On October 04, 2011, at 2:55 PM, 6M wrote:

None of the options applies to me.

I've had enough problems with my 3GS, that I'm not sure I'll stick with Apple. A few months ago (within 1 week of my 2year service agreement expiring), WiFi sensitivity dropped and I have to be with 10-15' of the WiFi router for it to work. Also, the GPS doesn't appear to work anymore. Apparently the same thing has happened to 100's of other users in about the same time frame. Not sure if this is by design or a software problem, but the latest IOS hasn't fixed it. If IOS5 doesn't fix the problem, I'll probably switch to an Android phone.

For those who might think I'm just an Apple basher, I am long (significantly) AAPL.

• Report this Comment On October 04, 2011, at 3:17 PM, michlav1 wrote:

I am soooo buying it! I lost my Samsung Smartphone (about 4 years old) last month. I've been panting for word on when the iPhone is coming out because i can't do without a smartphone! I like my iPad 2, so i'm definitely getting the iPhone.

• Report this Comment On October 04, 2011, at 3:43 PM, michlav1 wrote:

Hmmm I take it back. I'm not soooo buying it. Geez all this time i've been waiting thinking I'm going to get 4G and kaput! It's all going out the window. I may not even buy an iPhone period. Sheesh!

• Report this Comment On October 04, 2011, at 5:07 PM, baldheadeddork wrote:

I'm close to the same boat as 6M. Have a 3GS now, but probably going to switch to Mango once I see what the Nokia phones look like.

• Report this Comment On October 04, 2011, at 5:39 PM, NovaB wrote:

Smart phone?

Why would I want an electronic tracking device anyone can use to find me any time they want?

I have a cell phone to talk to people when I need to, not to play silly games or be tracked by people I don't want to meet anyway.

What is so smart about these phones?

• Report this Comment On October 04, 2011, at 7:22 PM, ryancarter wrote:

Maybe. I hate my current Android phone and my contract runs out soon (I think.) Depending on the available deals I may or may not buy it. Might pick up a regular iPhone 4 since they should be fairly cheap ($100?)

• Report this Comment On October 04, 2011, at 7:27 PM, xmmj wrote:

At first glance at the 4s, nothing blows the doors off.

But I think if you look at this more closely things change.

The advances - are they revolutionary or merely evolutionary? Is iCloud the most important battleground of today's digital world?

• Report this Comment On October 04, 2011, at 7:28 PM, xmmj wrote:

On the poll - you forgot one possibility...

"No - I do not own any cell phone"

• Report this Comment On October 04, 2011, at 11:02 PM, jordanwi wrote:

HEY! You guys didn't take into account that I lost my last motorolla and bought a samsung galaxy, but it broke and I didn't like the screen and it fit in my pocket funny, so then I got a gift certificate to apple from my girlfriend's brother and I think I'll get an iphone because I have said gift certificate! Where's that option in this RIGGED poll?

That's just my .02 cents (my point zero two cents, that is).

• Report this Comment On October 05, 2011, at 12:05 AM, ayaghsizian wrote:

Everything about the iPhone 4S is much better than the iPhone 4 except the look of it. Whether they call it 4S or 5 doesn't matter to me. The usability of iPhones are far superior to Samsung and HTC (my wife and I have one of each). Everything just works great for some reason, and with iCloud connecting everything for free, I will upgrade to 4S.

Long GOOG and AAPL

• Report this Comment On October 05, 2011, at 9:40 AM, isaquejr wrote:

You can't compare cheap Android Phones with iPhone. Samsung Galaxy II is miles ahead of iPhone.

• Report this Comment On October 05, 2011, at 12:48 PM, TMFMarlowe wrote:

I'll buy one. The battery in my 3GS is getting tired, and even the top Android phones still seem like kludges to me in comparison. And really, I don't need to be contributing any more personal info to GOOG's all-pervasive data-harvesting efforts than I already am.

John Rosevear