Every investor would love to stumble upon the perfect stock. But will you ever really find a stock that provides everything you could possibly want?
One thing's for sure: You'll never discover truly great investments unless you actively look for them. Let's discuss the ideal qualities of a perfect stock, then decide if Skyworks Solutions
The quest for perfection
Stocks that look great based on one factor may prove horrible elsewhere, making due diligence a crucial part of your investing research. The best stocks excel in many different areas, including these important factors:
- Growth. Expanding businesses show healthy revenue growth. While past growth is no guarantee that revenue will keep rising, it's certainly a better sign than a stagnant top line.
- Margins. Higher sales mean nothing if a company can't produce profits from them. Strong margins ensure that company can turn revenue into profit.
- Balance sheet. At debt-laden companies, banks and bondholders compete with shareholders for management's attention. Companies with strong balance sheets don't have to worry about the distraction of debt.
- Money-making opportunities. Return on equity helps measure how well a company is finding opportunities to turn its resources into profitable business endeavors.
- Valuation. You can't afford to pay too much for even the best companies. By using normalized figures, you can see how a stock's simple earnings multiple fits into a longer-term context.
- Dividends. For tangible proof of profits, a check to shareholders every three months can't be beat. Companies with solid dividends and strong commitments to increasing payouts treat shareholders well.
With those factors in mind, let's take a closer look at Skyworks Solutions.
What We Want to See
Pass or Fail?
|Growth||5-Year Annual Revenue Growth > 15%||14.6%||Fail|
|1-Year Revenue Growth > 12%||21.4%||Pass|
|Margins||Gross Margin > 35%||43.2%||Pass|
|Net Margin > 15%||13.6%||Fail|
|Balance Sheet||Debt to Equity < 50%||0%||Pass|
|Current Ratio > 1.3||3.10||Pass|
|Opportunities||Return on Equity > 15%||12.9%||Fail|
|Valuation||Normalized P/E < 20||27.94||Fail|
|Dividends||Current Yield > 2%||0%||Fail|
|5-Year Dividend Growth > 10%||0%||Fail|
|Total Score||4 out of 10|
Source: S&P Capital IQ. Total score = number of passes.
Since we looked at Skyworks Solutions last year, the company has lost a point. Falling net margin is responsible for the loss, but the stock has done its best to minimize its price decline over the past year.
Skyworks is just one of the many companies that ride on Apple's
But with those rewards comes big risk. Omnivision Technologies
Moreover, the competition is fierce. Avago Technologies
For Skyworks to improve, the ideal situation would involve its diversifying its sales to encompass more than just Apple products. Riding the Apple rocket has been good to Skyworks, but the ride won't last forever -- and Skyworks needs to keep striving if it wants to become a perfect stock.
No stock is a sure thing, but some stocks are a lot closer to perfect than others. By looking for the perfect stock, you'll go a long way toward improving your investing prowess and learning how to separate the best investments from the rest.
Skyworks Solutions is one way to bet on the tech revolution, but we think there's a better play. Check out our free report: "3 Hidden Winners of the iPhone, iPad, and Android Revolution." The report details three other component plays inside Apple products that are poised for a bright future as smartphones continue seeing explosive growth. To get your own copy of the report, just click here now -- it's free!
Click here to add Skyworks Solutions to My Watchlist, which can find all of our Foolish analysis on it and all your other stocks.