CEO of the Year: Apple vs. Arena Pharmaceuticals

Following eight straight weeks of profiling top-notch CEOs, the time has officially come for you and other members of The Motley Fool community to decide who is the best CEO in 2012.

The methodology behind the voting is simple. Similar to an NCAA-style basketball bracket, the eight CEOs will be pitted into four match-ups that the community will have one week to vote on. Next week we'll release the results of the previous week's voting, and the remaining four CEOs will again be bracketed for voting. Voting will continue over the next couple of weeks until we have a winner, which will be unveiled at the beginning of December.

As you can see, the ball really is in your court and you do have a say in who merits the coveted title of The Motley Fool's chosen CEO of the year. Below the voting bracket I've included a quick synopsis of the match-up; however, I encourage you to revisit the nomination article for a more complete explanation of why that particular CEO was nominated for this award.

The CAPS darlings: Apple  (Nasdaq: AAPL  )  vs. Arena Pharmaceuticals  (Nasdaq: ARNA  )
This match-up will pit two of The Motley Fool community's favorites against each other: Apple's Tim Cook and Arena's Jack Lief. Apple has been doing what it does best in 2012: blowing away the competition. At one point becoming the biggest company in history, Apple has now amassed a cash pile of $121 billion and has instituted a $10.60 annual dividend. Arena isn't profitable yet, but it's graced shareholders with a 347% jump in its share price thanks to its potential anti-obesity blockbuster Belviq. Which CAPS darling moves on? That's up to you! Cast your vote below.

Check back for results
Be sure to check out the other CEO match-ups at the links below, and check back next week when we unveil the results and highlight a new round of voting to whittle the field down even further.

The introduction of the iPhone 5 is an event Apple investors had been looking forward to for months. The stakes were high and the opportunity huge, so to help investors understand this epic Apple event, we released an exclusive update dedicated to the iPhone 5 launch. By picking up a copy of our premium research report on Apple, you'll learn everything you need to know about the launch, and receive ongoing guidance as key news hits. Claim your copy today by clicking here now.

• Report this Comment On November 13, 2012, at 8:02 PM, plcfischer wrote:

Come on people. I know you all know Apple, but it is down 23% from its high for the year, it has decided that the best innovation it has to offer comes from it lawyers, not its engineers.

Arena has been the bastard child of Wall Street. The analysts have been putting their backing behind VVUS, and have been wrong at every step. Jack Lief has led ARNA to the promised land of a new, safe weight loss drug. Jack has also not sold a single share, which gives his investors a great level of confidence.

A year from now who do you think is going to be at new highs? If you said AAPL, I have a bridge for sale.

• Report this Comment On November 14, 2012, at 12:17 PM, WCoastGuynCA wrote:

Considering the extent that Mannkind's (MNKD) C.E.O. Al Mann has gone to in order to keep the company solvent and hopefully bring Afrezza to the market to help individuals suffering from diabetes I think he should be a strong contender for the 2012 C.E.O. of the Year.

• Report this Comment On November 14, 2012, at 1:49 PM, sammyhilliii wrote:

ARNA does well in spite of Jack Lief instead of because of him. Ever hear the guy speak? The first time in front of the FDA panel in 2010 was painful to listen in on. The company is lucky to have talent other than the guy that's supposed to lead.

• Report this Comment On November 14, 2012, at 4:37 PM, TMFTheDoctor wrote:

ITT: people who have never heard of Arena voting for Jack Lief because he isn't Tim Cook

• Report this Comment On November 14, 2012, at 7:37 PM, plcfischer wrote:

@TMFTheDoctor, I am a computer programmer that voted for Jack Lief, but it is because I have heard of him. You are correct though, if I had not I still would have voted for him over Tim Cook.

@Sammyhilliii, I have spoken with Jack Lief, in the deep dark past. He may not be a good public speakers, but in private he is impressive.

@WCoastGuynCA, I do like Al Mann. I like him so much that my second biggest stock position is now MNKD.

• Report this Comment On November 14, 2012, at 8:01 PM, SuntanIronMan wrote:

@TMFTheDoctor

The stock is up almost 350% year to date (after being down a ton from last year). I think plenty of people are aware of this company (either from the lows of last year or the high of this year). And if they aren't, that would be why this article linked to the nomination write-up about Lief and Arena.

• Report this Comment On November 14, 2012, at 10:18 PM, plcfischer wrote:

• Report this Comment On November 19, 2012, at 7:57 AM, XBiz wrote:

ARNA has been pulled back the years and discredited by many investors who were next to OREX and VVUS and it seems this is turning around, many people believe in the product, see if the end of the year reached in ARNA Orex and VVUS aa quote. Jacl Lief has not sold a single share of ARNA and many many entities to see the flight of this company, 44% and rising ...