Readers Respond: The 10 Best Ways to Play the Hugest Bubble in History

WHat??????????
What is the hell are you guys talking about ??????????

That was just one of the nearly 1,700 emails we received in response to our "Hugest Bubble in History Set to Explode" special alert.

By now, most of you probably know that we weren't really tipped off to a soon-to-explode bubble of historic proportions. There was no anonymous Swiss bubble expert feeding us information -- it was all part of this year's April Fool's Day joke, which took to task Wall Street, hurried speculators, and breathless pundits.

In addition to offering our own Market Goggles™ to help you "see" through the market noise and a ShadowFear Index™ that identified "hidden" levels of market fear, we asked readers to submit their own favorite bubble plays.

The most popular were big-name blue chips: Johnson & Johnson, Hormel, Berkshire Hathaway, and Costco. A lot of readers also thought tech stocks like Apple and 3D Systems would be good picks for a bubble.

Commodity buffs liked natural gas exporter Cheniere Energy and Silver Wheaton. The VIX market volatility index was also a popular pick, even though we claimed in update 7 that the VIX IS CONTROLLED BY WALL STREET.

Here were some fairly typical responses:

I want two (2) pairs [of Market Goggles™].
I want green and blue
One stock I am interested in to play the bubble is Johnson & Johnson (JNJ).

Is this a joke? JNJ

Please send me the "MegaBubble: What's Hot and What's Not" special free report.

Wondering if you still have the market Google for free.

Some readers got really creative and suggested alternative investments for playing the bubble. Here are 10 of our favorite responses:

1. As an asset class, ant farms have held their value in previous market downturns. The only downside that I can foresee is that it is a niche market within the collectibles class that is very thinly traded, and is only traded on the Puerto Maldonaldo exchange.

2. With the end of Hostess, Twinkies are already becoming a rare commodity.... The already low supply and intense demand that will come after the collapse will create a perfect storm for Twinkie prices.

3. Invest heavily in toilet paper.......and shovels......

4. None of the metals you mentioned above. More likely silver. Secondarily maybe Boron.

5. I would like to request one pair of 3-D glasses, Rose colored lenses; my stock to play the bubble is Facebook.

6. Cannot reveal source as it is a close and trusted friend, seems [large European bank] is looking more and more "troubling."

[At that point, our reader received our automatic email response: "Dear Fool, Thanks for your note! The Motley Fool's mission is "to educate, amuse, and enrich," and every April 1, we like to focus on amusement in particular...." The reader then replied]

Oh, then "nevermind" the bit on [large European bank]
Onwards

7. Hardened Structures, LLC and Utah Shelter Systems. Should the dreaded triple top scenario play out, global markets will be worthless so we should invest exclusively in private companies. These provide high-quality services for people preparing for chem/nuke/bio/zombie attacks.

8. I am investing in Krispy Kreme, the donuts, not the stock. Lots and lots of donuts. I will freeze them.

9. Canada's supply of their copper pennies (actually copper-plated) has been decreasing -- they stopped minting them on May 4, 2012.... I suggest TMF utilizes its membership and begins a "buy-in" of pool of Canadian Pennies. At $1,000, each Fool can be promised to "own" about 50,000 Canadian pennies (actual number will of course depend on how many pennies we can withdraw from Canadian banks, grocery stores, and Tim Hortons donut shops).

10. Subject: Housing

Lots of readers got the joke:

My sides are still splitting!
Love It

Subject: Goggle Me Softly
I must have a pair of these sporty goggles so I can watch my investments melt away in style.

"this is soooo un-Fool like". About a paragraph in recalled the date. I cannot believe the lengths to which you will go. Good one.

Wait, is that a prominently featured bottle of Macallan?
Aw yeah.

A vice president of a major European bank wanted to know if we had any clues which three European banks were set to collapse. (He did not recognize the dateline.)

Someone from a top U.S. bank wanted to get a copy of our "MegaBubble: What's Hot and What's Not special report." We also heard from a director of a major investment advisory company who wanted live updates of our ShadowFear Index™.

Of course, we also heard from some readers -- like this expert -- who were disappointed by our careless freneticism:

Your ShadowFear score is not credible because of the virtually infinite discontinuity in the curve. How can the ShadowFear score so closely track the VIX, and yet when it comes to 2013, it has a hugely discontinuous jump/drop...?

As an ex-engineer, such discontinuous curves lead me to the only conclusion: something is wrong in the way that the curve was drawn at that point.

Here's a great email chastising us for our Red Bull-and-panic-fueled grammatical mistakes:

Subject: Hello you dumb fool

Hello fool

Before you even publish your crap, first learn to write proper English. There is no word 'Hugest' in the English language.

Please go back to school and learn some English grammar.

This wasn't the only reader disappointed by our emergency response team's casual stupidity:

Subject: your recent END OF THE WORLD EXPLOSION email
WHAT THE [EXPLETIVE]? You guys gotta get off the crack. I don't know what to make of this idiotic email, other than a freak schizoid clown suffering from a drug and alcohol-induced break with reality.... [After receiving our automatic email response, the reader added]

Go [expletive] yourselves.

Thanks to everyone for celebrating April Fool's Day with us. If you haven't yet, go and read our reveal article, detailing the "lessons" contained inside this year's joke. And until next year, Fool On!

link

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 2:38 PM, Truth2Power wrote:

Still waiting to hear about whether I got that Deep Thinker job! ;)

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 4:06 PM, TMFLomax wrote:

I love the ant farms! Awesome. :)

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 5:02 PM, TMFNewsie wrote:

Love the updates guys, awesome work!

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 5:49 PM, edmark777 wrote:

What!!!! I sold everything.

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 6:12 PM, tprooney3 wrote:

Oh great! What am I supposed to do with all these ant farms now?

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 6:22 PM, writerfred wrote:

With many of us caught up in a swirl of mostly grim and serious, it's downright refreshing to see creativity turned in the direction of providing such fascinating entertainment, even if it is only for one day. Great show, guys!

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 6:33 PM, sevenheart wrote:

Better advice than most Fool stock recommendations. Every one I've bought has been a big loser, couldn't do worse with the April Fools Joke.

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 7:02 PM, hjeske wrote:

Hey Fools,

I almost forwarded this email to my conspiracy-theory friend who would have gone ballistic and sent it to her entire email group and would have surely gone viral and caused a market crash!

Glad I figured it out in time. Thanks for the prank. Refreshing. Boy, some of your readers need to lighten up!

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 7:03 PM, bean1999 wrote:

I look forward to April Fool's Day to see what you will come up with. I think it was kind of you to redact the names, or maybe politic... Anyway Thanks! it was fun.

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 8:05 PM, mtprx wrote:

This should be required reading and not just a joke. Too many people trade on ridiculous, unproven, unchecked information. Put this on the Fool schools page now!

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 11:31 PM, NOTvuffett wrote:

I got a kick outta it, although everyone went ballistic before they even came to the last part of the joke.

Boron and tellurium are not technically metals, they are in a group usually referred to as metalloids. Unobtanium is, of course, fictional. The curious thing is boron in actually pretty rare when measured as a % of the earth's crust, but it tends to form large deposits so it is dirt cheap. I was a bit disappointed that technetium didn't make the list (atomic number 43). It has the lowest atomic number of any element that has no stable isotopes. That has to be worth something, lol.

• Report this Comment On April 04, 2013, at 12:44 AM, tomd728 wrote:

The entire episode was one of wanton stupidity.

Two nitwits who should not be allowed within 100 miles of the MF. Got a kick out of it ? I would love to do the kicking girls.

• Report this Comment On April 04, 2013, at 2:04 AM, rt7998 wrote:

There appear to be a number of dour, humorless individuals who are confused about what site they are on - clearly they are looking for The Motley Undertaker. This would be The Motley FOOL. Please look up "Fool" - I don't believe it says anything about being dour and humorless. In fact, it says right there in the upper left hand corner of the page "To Educate, AMUSE, and Enrich". Go ahead, check for it, I'll wait. See, it really says that! Now, if you didn't find the joke funny, that's one thing, but these folks writing in to say "You shouldn't be joking around like that, how dare you, that's not appropriate, etc" and basically overreacting as if terrorists had just blown up a school bus need to pay a bit more attention. Again, to recap, that would be Motley FOOL, *not* Motley Undertaker (though I might have to start that site up, I wonder if the name is reserved yet?)

• Report this Comment On April 04, 2013, at 7:34 AM, blacklab13 wrote:

With the ant farms, you can purchase some chocolate and drip it on the ants.. Sell them for a profit.. ROLF

• Report this Comment On April 04, 2013, at 9:35 AM, ziq wrote:

I actually like the Twinkies speculation angle. They're so full of preservatives they may keep forever in their wrappers, or you could freeze them just to be safe. In the year 2033 people may pay a lot of money for them--or not. A Foolish long-term investment, no?

• Report this Comment On April 04, 2013, at 12:23 PM, CommonMan001 wrote:

Obviously a slow day in Fooldom.

• Report this Comment On April 04, 2013, at 1:35 PM, GordonsGecko wrote:

I am still waiting for my copy of the ZippyTrade 2000 to arrive. It has been 2 years since I ordered it.

If I had that product on Monday, then I would have been prepared to react to all of the Market Bubble updates in a timely fashion.

Instead, I just feel FOOLish.

• Report this Comment On April 04, 2013, at 2:10 PM, ipapajoker wrote:

not in good taste... don't frack with people's hard earned cash

• Report this Comment On April 04, 2013, at 4:34 PM, TheRealRacc wrote:

This is all hilarious.

• Report this Comment On April 04, 2013, at 4:54 PM, Twake4d wrote:

Made me Look! Looking at what to sell off next!

• Report this Comment On April 05, 2013, at 12:33 PM, 401kok wrote:

Hilarious it is. Lighten up some of you must. Motley Fool, my favorite website you are. Yoda

P.S. Many fools (small s) in positions of responsibility there are, so spread word, look after your own money you should.

• Report this Comment On April 05, 2013, at 1:13 PM, PaFrogboss wrote:

There is something extremely disturbing about some of the responses to your 04/01 extravaganza -- these people are actually part of the Fool community? Here I thought I was getting good, intelligent insight!!

• Report this Comment On April 05, 2013, at 11:32 PM, v1tanuova wrote:

I love this annual hose-down of financial jargon and silliness. Thanks so much for the care you took with this. I am fooled every time- just long enough to laugh harder when I figure it out!

• Report this Comment On April 08, 2013, at 5:13 AM, kerrysly1 wrote:

I'm sorry I was late as I broke my ankle on April 02 and did not get to your e-mail. I was backslapping myself saying how smart I was for knowing it was coming. Then, a few paragraphs into it "What is this?" I read on WTF, I must not know my indexes but the messy table and the whiskies were a strong note. I shunted down "SPAM", that was it my BS radar went wild and then went to the bottom and got it and then read your disclaimer of what stocks to buy and you own them all. OH, this was April 1st. So much for letting a broken ankle keeping me from being informed.

• Report this Comment On April 11, 2013, at 5:00 PM, jackr30 wrote: