Even After "Iron Man 3," Why I Still Can't Get Behind RealD

Is 3-D viewing really additive when it comes to movies? Tim Beyers of Motley Fool Rule Breakers and Motley Fool Supernova says no in the following video.

Once a proponent of 3-D specialist RealD (NYSE: RLD  ) , Tim now says the huge weekend audiences for the 2-D showings of Iron Man 3 appeared to be every bit as full as their premium counterparts, if not more so.

Thus, despite backers that include Sony (NYSE: SNE  ) , there's little reason to believe that RealD technology is a "must-have" -- even for the action movies that benefit most from its use. Don't expect a major windfall from Iron Man 3, Tim says.

Do you agree? Did you take in a 3-D showing of Iron Man 3? Please watch the video to get Tim's full take and then tell us whether you prefer to pay up for premium showings, or whether 2-D still fits the Big Screen bill.

The Motley Fool's chief investment officer has selected his No. 1 stock for the next year. Find out which stock it is in the brand-new free report: "The Motley Fool's Top Stock for 2013." Just click here to access the report and find out the name of this under-the-radar company.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 11:26 AM, lento58 wrote:

3D never really caught on & probably never will

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 11:35 AM, diddly42 wrote:

The problem with 3D movies is that not all movies are oriented towards it. Ironman 3 is one of them. The movie had deeper depth to the visuals... ok. But when I pay extra for 3D, I want things coming out of the screen at me. Ironman 3 did not deliver there. Nor do most 3D movies. One great exception was OZ! The Great and Powerful. There was one scene when it literally seemed that things were floating right in front of me. Still, the best experience I have had with it was one of the earlest movie done with RealD, Journey to the Center of the Earth. In the scene when they were on the raft and those fish were jumping out of the water at them, I found myself dodging the fish without even realizing. When the 3D brings the action out so far that it causes me to react, it's worth the money. Otherwise, it's just another gimmick.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 12:45 PM, raynforester wrote:

The real problem with 3D is the glasses. Seeing movies in 3D is pretty great, except that my peripheral vision goes beyond the glasses. Even in a dark theater, there is still enough light to see things out of the corner of my eye that are not in the field of view of the glasses. I find this to be a distraction, and it takes away from the 3D effect. One of the greatest things about seeing a film in a theater is the full immersion into the film. I would like to try viewing a 3D film with "wrap-around" 3D glasses, where my peripheral vision would no longer be a factor.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 10:21 PM, rjbatty wrote:

3D has been and will remain a gimmick. It's not worth the extra cash, and it gives me headaches.

• Report this Comment On May 13, 2013, at 7:16 PM, peterwtf wrote:

When done right, 3D movies are great. The film makers has to realize that most people that watch 3D want things jumping out of the screen, in your face effect. We don't care about the depth of field or the illusion of 3D so much. I like the 3D movies that gives the 3D effect. It is not a gimmick.

DocumentId: 2425041, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 7/29/2014 2:02:54 AM

TREND TRACKER: Get Rich When the Web Goes Dark

It's time to say "goodbye" to your Internet! One bleeding-edge technology is about to put the World Wide Web to bed. And if you act right away, it could make you wildly rich. Experts are calling it the single largest business opportunity in the history of capitalism… The Economist is calling it "transformative"... but you'll probably just call it "how I made my millions." Big money is already on the move. Don't be too late to the party – find out the 1 stock to own when the Web goes dark.