The New iOS Is Cool, but It's Not Enough

For as much hand-wringing as there's been over iOS 7, we won't know the new system's potential until Apple pairs it with a handset and a tablet. Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL  ) is a hardware company, after all, says Tim Beyers of Motley Fool Rule Breakers and Motley Fool Supernova in the following video.

Consider, too, that the new iOS borrows heavily from features found in Google's Android operating system. Playing catch-up is no way to juice sales, which leaves the base iPhone and iPad hardware as Apple's principal opportunities to leap ahead.

But even that may prove difficult considering how Samsung and the major Android device suppliers differentiate today. Samsung, in particular, is profiting from the "phablet" craze in which phones sport screens big enough to also act as mini-tablets.

Apple needn't play copycat here. But chief designer Jony Ive might also do well to rethink the smartphone platform. Consumers certainly have. If the "phablet" renaissance proves anything, it's that buyers don't want a phone so much as an at-the-ready computer that handles as well as a desktop. The message? Apple needs more than an iPhone refresh; it needs a full hardware redesign.

Do you agree? Watch the video below to get Tim's full take, and then leave a comment to let us know whether you'd consider buying an Apple phablet.

What's the next big iThing?
Apple has a history of cranking out revolutionary products... and then creatively destroying them with something better. Read about the future of Apple in the free report, "Apple Will Destroy Its Greatest Product." Can Apple really disrupt its own iPhones and iPads? Find out by clicking here.

• Report this Comment On June 17, 2013, at 7:21 PM, RadarTheKat wrote:

I don't know. Apple sure sells a big pile of the iPhones they have. A whole new redesign doesn't seem warranted. If Apple came out with a 4.5" iPhone and a mid-priced 4" iPhone and hooked up with China Mobile, and rolled out its mid-priced iPhone to another 150 carriers around the world - Apple is currently with about 275 carriers while Samsung sells through about 800 - a lot of people who are today bashing the company would be singing a different tune.

• Report this Comment On June 17, 2013, at 7:24 PM, Murphy001 wrote:

I think apple will make phablets soon.it was Steve's mantra to take products and make them better!I would like to see a phone call capable iPad mini which could serve a lot of people as a home phone or a mobile device that could fit in a purse or jacket

• Report this Comment On June 17, 2013, at 8:35 PM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

@RadarTheKat,

Thanks again for writing.

>>A whole new redesign doesn't seem warranted.

Of course it doesn't right now. Apple is doing too well. But as we know from history -- and treatises such as Christensen's "The Innovator's Dilemma" -- it's precisely when times are good that you seek to disrupt yourself.

Also, I don't see pricing as a panacea when Asian competitors have more leverage in this area.

FWIW and Foolish best,

Tim

TMFMileHigh in CAPS and on the boards

@milehighfool on Twitter

• Report this Comment On June 17, 2013, at 9:46 PM, thejj34 wrote:

You guys are really Motley Fools!

Thats all you people do is talk out of your AZZ'S!

what a waste of a site.!!

• Report this Comment On June 18, 2013, at 12:59 AM, singaporenick wrote:

What strange comments! Who said Apple was a hardware company? That just shows complete lack of understanding of the Apple eco-system concept.

As fo saying how badly Apple is doing vis-a-vis Samsung,I guess that must be why Samsung's share price is falling due to the poor sales of the S4?

• Report this Comment On June 18, 2013, at 3:11 AM, chrisausten wrote:

Ios7 may have some good new features, but it is NOT cool nor is it in any way attractive. Ive needs to stick with hardware design and leave the UI to folks who know graphical ergonomics. Seriously, I expect clowns with balloons to pop out from each icon. I guess Apple has decided to market solely to 8 year olds. If Apple doesn't change the design to resemble something for adults, I will be shopping for a different brand of phone.

• Report this Comment On June 18, 2013, at 2:26 PM, Ghkramer wrote:

I really also must disagree with the statement that Apple is a hardware company. Apple software really integrates well with their hardware to present an efficient overall device.

I have an iPhone, iPad, HP laptop and HP desktop. Each fills a particular need. While I would enjoy a slightly larger screen on the iPhone, I would not want it to get too big that I couldn't conveniently wear it for its primarily use (phone, photos and music), as well as occasional web browsing. If I want to seriously web browse, I'll pull out my iPad. Significant redesigns tend to disrupt, and unless there is a good reason to do so, makes me grouchy and irritated.

For me, I am intrigued mostly by the iRadio announcement. That service will fit nicely with my iTunes collection.

And yes, I am a Mötley Fool and appreciate everyone's constructive contribution to this service.