Should Investors Be Concerned About Apple's Silence?

For the past three years, Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL  ) has issued releases on iPhone pre-order activity. This year, however, Apple is silent on the matter. Could this be a bad sign for Apple's iPhone launch?

iPhone 5c. Source: Apple.

High expectations
Battling high expectations is an ongoing struggle for Apple. And it's no different with Apple's iPhone sales numbers for the newly launched iPhones. The company's choice not to report iPhone pre-orders on the opening weekend has sparked speculation that orders may not have been robust enough to please investors.

But there's also a chance that Apple's silence has nothing to do with the numbers and more to do with Apple's unusual launch. This is the first time Apple has introduced two new iPhone models. Even more, Apple is only accepting pre-orders for the iPhone 5c, and not the iPhone 5s. So there's certainly a chance that Apple isn't releasing numbers due to the unusual comparison.

Whatever Apple's reasons for not announcing pre-orders, investors are curious. The company has some incredible numbers to live up to. iPhone pre-orders during the first twenty-four hours have increased dramatically over the last three years: 600,000, 1 million, and 2 million in 2010, 2011, and 2012, respectively. Will Apple be able to keep up the trend?

According to these three sources, pre-orders may not be off to a very exciting start. For Apple to impress investors, numbers would have to exceed last year's 2 million by a good margin. Not only did Apple add Japan's largest carrier, NTT DoCoMO, to the launch, but this is the first time that China has been included at launch.

Tapping into the rumor mill
Predictions for the preorders numbers vary. They may have hit 2.2 million in the first twenty-four hours, according to Citi analyst Glen Yeung. Reuters' "carrier source" says that 5c orders are "not overwhelming." For China's second-largest wireless carrier, China Unicom, "online preorders for the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C have exceeded 100,000 units, sharply lower than the more than 300,000 units that were preordered online for the iPhone 5," according to The Wall Street Journal.

Should investors be concerned?
Not necessarily. Though the rumor mill suggests that iPhone 5c sales may not be living up to the hype generated by its predecessor, the unusually structured launch could encourage peculiar consumer behavior. So, even if Yeung's estimate of 2.2 million pre-orders is accurate, few conclusions can be drawn.

However, Apple investors should definitely keep an eye on weekend sales numbers. For comparison, last year iPhone 5s sales topped five millionduring the opening weekend. Since Apple is often supply constrained (not demand limited) during the opening weekend, the number Apple reports (if it chooses to) will be more indicative of Apple's supply than its demand. Still, the number will be the first number that gives us some insight into the success of Apple's launch.

Another Apple disruption
Apple has a history of cranking out revolutionary products... and then creatively destroying them with something better. Read about the future of Apple in the free report, "Apple Will Destroy Its Greatest Product." Can Apple really disrupt its own iPhones and iPads? Find out by clicking here.

• Report this Comment On September 19, 2013, at 6:59 PM, speechisntfree wrote:

Bloggers are more worthless than lawyers.

• Report this Comment On September 19, 2013, at 7:56 PM, nobodiesfool1 wrote:

A couple of months ago you wrote an article about how bad the future looked for drys. How they are still in the black because of shipping contracts locked in at old "precrash" prices. But "soon" you said these contracts would expire and they will do very badly.

I was holding 4000 shares for several years waiting for it to go back up. After havong read your article, I sold all 4000 at 1.85 and now look at the price today, just 3 monthes later.

I really am disappointed when I read 2 conflicting stories from the fool in 1 weeks time. Making a good decision based on your articles is impossible. I will never again react to something I have read by Motley Fool. It might be entertaining but in less than a few days time other articles by the fool can say something very different. I just hung on to DRYS for several years to try to get some of my investment back and finished by losing over ten thousand dollars thanks to.............having read another foolish article. Shame on you. glenn bossert

• Report this Comment On September 19, 2013, at 8:07 PM, TMFDanielSparks wrote:

@nobodiesfool1

Unfortunately I have no idea what you are talking about and I've never heard of DRYS until today.

Sorry for your loss.

Your situation sounds more like speculation than investing to me -- something I avoid.

• Report this Comment On September 19, 2013, at 9:55 PM, iphonerulez wrote:

What sort of real investor worries about such short-term happenings? Do retail investors honestly concern themselves about how fast a product sells within just a few days? I figure if you can't even wait a full quarter, then you must not have faith in a company. I really believe Apple is going to sell over five million iPhones this weekend and I don't need them to give me a minute by minute report. In a week I truly believe Apple will sell over ten million iPhones which for most companies to sell ten million of anything would be pretty fantastic. Wall Street won't be impressed but they're just greedy fools who don't believe in anything except money.

• Report this Comment On September 20, 2013, at 12:18 AM, mountain8 wrote:

Look up the definition of "opinion piece" under journalism.

That basically means thoughts from two different writers are only an opinion, not fact, and may be in opposition camps. This is an opinion piece.

If you are trying to invest without YOUR OWN investigations, you are welcome to your losses, and deserve them. Motley fool gives you articles to make you aware, makes you think, and makes you see "the other side of anything" Then you make YOUR OWN decisions. I research everything MF says that interests me and sometimes I ignore it, sometimes I buy it. BE YOUR OWN PERSON. DON'T BLINDLY FOLLOW ANY INFORMATION YOU GET FROM AN INVESTMENT SITE OR A NEWSPAPER ARTICLE.

Just for information, I've followed TMF for years. This year, using their info and MY OWN research, I'm up 45.45% since January. I won't make you dining room critics feel any worse by telling you the $$$ return. I'm even shocked by it, and proud as can be.