Buy the Moto-X, or Wait for the iPhone 6?

I've been waiting for Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL  ) to introduce a phablet. Come next year, I may get my wish.

Cantor Fitzgerald analyst Brian White recently predicted that an iPhone approaching five inches in size could "become a reality in 2014," CNET reported. Analysts at Jefferies and DisplaySearch have made similar predictions. 

Apple investors should hope they're right. ABI Research pegged phablet sales at 83 million devices last year. Another 150 million could sell before the end of 2013, the firm says.

What's more, statistics show that iOS users like me are notorious data consumers. We tend to use our handsets not so much as phones, but as handheld computers. Larger screens would be a welcome addition for most, I think.

In the meantime, I've been seriously considering the Moto-X handset because of how deftly the phone handles Google's services. Also, I think Google Now is far ahead of Siri when it comes to bringing smartphone services to life.

Of course it's also possible that comedian T.J. Miller's impersonation of a slothful iPhone may be influencing me more than I'd care to admit:

Sources: YouTube, Google.

But I'm also a happy owner of an iPhone 4s and among the 200 million-plus who have upgraded to iOS 7. If only the 4s screen weren't so cramped. If only working on an iPhone felt less like working on a phone and more like working on the world's most awesome handheld computer.

A larger-screen iPhone 6 could change the dynamic. Will it happen? Let us know what you think about the prospects for an Apple phablet in the comments box below.

The "i" in indestructible
Do you know the major developments that could crush Apple? The secrets to success that could make investors like you rich? The answers are simpler than you think, and The Motley Fool is sharing them in a free report titled, "5 Secrets to Apple's Future." Inside, we outline critical information every Apple investor must know, so click here now for your free report.


Read/Post Comments (10) | Recommend This Article (3)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On October 11, 2013, at 4:35 PM, makelvin wrote:

    "...Larger screens would be a welcome addition for most, I think..."

    You think... but you are wrong. Most of the iPhone users are under the age of 40. They can see and use the iPhone just fine as it is. They prefer the portability and convenience over the large screen and bulky phone that is difficult to hide and awkward to use as a phone. If you really like a large screen, just get an iPad or iPad mini and install an VoIP app.

  • Report this Comment On October 11, 2013, at 4:58 PM, twolf2919 wrote:

    @makelvin,

    I don't know about your statistic - there are plenty of iPhone users over 40, me among them. And many of us don't have any problems with the current iPhone size either - for exactly the reasons you gave! I don't have room in my jeans pocket for a 5"+ screen (judging by the mid-life bulge most Americans develop, one would think there's even less room in their pockets! Hm...is that why older guys begin to wear "slacks"?....Sorry - I digress).

    In any event, I think once Apple figures out a way to make a bigger screen with good enough color and good enough power consumption characteristics, they will produce an iPhone with such a screen. If they manage it in 2014, they'll sell it as an ADDITIONAL model - it won't be the only iPhone 6.

  • Report this Comment On October 11, 2013, at 5:15 PM, makelvin wrote:

    @twolf2919,

    I said that "most" iPhone users are under 40. I am sure there are still some users such as yourself that are older that has iPhone; but the truth is most smartphone owners, iPhone or Android, are under the age of 44. Here are the statistics demographic breakdown for iPhone as of 2012:

    age 18-34: 43%

    age 35-44: 24%

    age 45-54: 16%

    age 54+: 17%

    So if you are older than 44, you are clearly in the minority. As much as many journalists and bloggers constantly claiming that the 5"+ screen market is huge, it is in fact still substantially smaller than the overall smartphone market that has 4" screen or smaller.

    If you really need a large screen, why settle for just 5", go with the 7.9" iPad mini. It is much easier to read and use. Just get one with a data plan and install a VoIP app that allows you to make phone calls.

  • Report this Comment On October 11, 2013, at 5:42 PM, whyaduck1128 wrote:

    I'm starting to think that no matter how many "different" devices are offered in however many sizes, someone is going to complain that they are "too small", "too big", or both.

    I think this is because they like to complain.

  • Report this Comment On October 11, 2013, at 6:16 PM, twolf2919 wrote:

    @makelvin,

    I was kind of joking - I could care less about the demographic distribution of iPhone users for it says nothing about their preferences.

    Just as there are older people - like me - who prefer the smaller screen sizes/devices, there are also some younger folks who prefer the larger screen sizes. It's not just about poor eye-sight - those 5+" screens do, in fact, show more! Your suggestion that if people want a larger screen they should get an iPad is just silly: why would someone want to spend crazy money (a phone, a tablet, at least one data plan for the tablet) - and then have to carry two devices around?

    I'm not advocating everyone get 5+" phones - I'm totally happy with my iPhone 5's portability one-handed operation, etc., but I don't deny that for some - even those with perfectly good eye-sight - a larger screened smartphone is a perfectly valid choice (hey, if you don't mind looking strange holding a tablet to your ear, it's your choice :-)

  • Report this Comment On October 11, 2013, at 7:21 PM, makelvin wrote:

    @twolf2919, I wasn't suggesting that you should carry two devices around. I was suggesting that if you really like the large screen, just simply use the iPad mini or the iPad alone with VoIP. Why would you still need to carry a phone at all? It will in fact save you money using this strategy. After all, people who does not mind carrying a 5" or a 6" screen phone should not really have a problem carrying a 7"+ device as well. And if the 5/6" screen is easier to read and use, then logic dictates the 7.9" screen must be even easier to read and use. Nothing absurd about such a suggestion at all.

    I am sure there are some younger people who likes to have the 5"+ screen size. Those are probably the same people that thinks carrying a pocket protector to be cool. A lot of people prefers to use their smartphone as a useful tools and like to get it out of the way when they are no longer using it. Carrying a large smartphone makes that difficult.

  • Report this Comment On October 11, 2013, at 7:28 PM, makelvin wrote:

    @twolf2919,

    I wasn't suggesting that you should be carrying two separate devices; I was suggesting that you should simply use the iPad mini in place of the iPhone completely. Install a VoIP app will allow you to use the iPad as a phone. In fact, this strategy will only cost you to pay for a monthly data plan instead of a data plan and a voice plan which will cost you more.

    For people who have no problem carrying a 5" to 6" phone around all day, they also should not have a problem carrying a 7"+ device around either. Since the larger screen makes things easier to read and use, then logic dictate that the 7"+ screen is a lot easier to read and use than the 5" - 6" screen if portability is not really a concern for you.

    I am sure some younger people will like to have a larger screen phone as you have suggested. Chances are these are the same people who thinks wearing a pocket protector is cool. But for the majority of us, we like to use our smartphone as a useful tool; and when we are done with it, we like to get it out of our way as easily and conveniently as possible. A 5" to 6" phone makes that very difficult.

  • Report this Comment On October 11, 2013, at 7:54 PM, DanManners wrote:

    Timmy,

    I love your articles but I read this article and was surprised someone as smart and as informed as yourself is that you would have to ask such a simple question.

    Moto X. Why because Timmy Cook will never come out with a bigger phone. Oh I know next year, Next year! Next year. China Mobile? Next year. IWatch? Next year? Big TV? Next Year. OMG Product? Next year. Always next year. Reminds me of my love life.

    Listen TImmy, Don't hold your breath because not having a bigger phone 1 year ago is a mammoth mistake and it shows that Tim Cook is a disaster. He can;t even successfully launch one new phone a year let alone as many as Samsung comes out with.

    So let me tell you when all these new things will come out. NEver, never, never and never. Cook is just a disaster. I would rather have Scully screwing things up.

    Apple also will never trade above 500 again. NEver. It is a diaster. Not as big as a disaster as Melissa LEe who is the single biggest idiot on CNBC. Yesterday she was saying how bad Apple action was that it was only up 3 points. But it was up the day before alot when everything else was down. It is nuts like her who give bad publicity to Apple day in and day out. She is ultimately right but for the wrong reasons.

    Apple to retest 385 soon. I bet Cooks cuts the dividend and lowers the buybacks just to piss of Icahn.

  • Report this Comment On October 12, 2013, at 11:28 AM, twolf2919 wrote:

    @makelvin, you say:

    "I was suggesting that you should simply use the iPad mini in place of the iPhone completely. Install a VoIP app will allow you to use the iPad as a phone."

    It does not. There are many areas in the world, including the US, where there is a cell signal but no data. So, clearly, this is not a viable solution except for those with high pain/annoyance thresholds or those who are lucky enough to spend their lives in a "covered" area.

  • Report this Comment On October 12, 2013, at 3:07 PM, djtetsu wrote:

    I was thinking this same thing, a bigger screen is all that is missing from Apple annihilating everything, I mean everything:

    Screen big enough to type on Check

    Best app selection from a superior eco system Check

    64bit processing to leave the others in dust Check

    Finger Print scanner for easier login Check

    Fandroids will keep talking but only thing they have left is that their phones are cheaper (and yes they are .. ).

    Google thought with the MotoX they had a good login method by taking a picture of your face.. c'mon.. really? Fingerprint reading is simply superior. When people are doing this dozens of times in a day, it makes a difference on which is an easier phone to operate (do you really want to aim and take pictures of your face that many times?). This is just one aspect. With IOS7 things are simply more accessible.

    If they do pull a bigger screen, as the reports show, it is buffet time for Apple.

Add your comment.

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2679463, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 8/31/2014 6:37:02 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...


Advertisement