Thor: The Dark World Box Office Numbers Prove We Need More Loki

Marvel needs to sign actor Tom Hiddleston to a long-term deal as soon as possible, Fool contributor Tim Beyers says in the following video.

For those who don't know, Hiddleston has played Loki, the Norse god of mischief, in three of Walt Disney's (NYSE: DIS  ) biggest Marvel films: Thor, Marvel's The Avengers, and most recently, Thor: The Dark World. Audiences have taken to his portrayal with an enthusiasm similar to what Robert Downey Jr. has enjoyed for playing Tony Stark and Iron Man, Tim says.

Just look at the numbers. Through its first four days in U.S. theaters, Box Office Mojo had Thor: The Dark World tracking 35% ahead of its predecessor, putting it on pace for at least $600 million in gross receipts worldwide and within spitting distance of Time Warner's summer hit, Man of Steel.

And if it does better? Tim says Disney films, as a group, have already earned an estimated $1.1 billion in gross profit this year versus $1.29 billion last year. The Dark World could help the studio to its most profitable performance since 2010, when Toy Story 3 pushed past $1 billion at the global gate.

Or if you prefer a more visceral measure of Hiddleston's growing popularity, click here to watch 7,000 people scream their approval at his surprise appearance onstage during Marvel's panel at San Diego Comic-Con.

Right now there's no indication that he'll reprise the role. Yet apparently he would if asked: Hiddleston said in a recent interview on the Nerdist podcast that he'd be open to doing more projects with the character. Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige should take him at his word and sign a multi-picture deal immediately, Tim says.

How would the studio build a franchise around him? Tim offers an idea in the video. Please watch to get his full take and then leave a comment to let us know where you stand.

Avenge your portfolio with these stock market superheroes
Disney is a classic Rule Maker, a monster stock that's setting the pace in its core markets. They're great investments, but for serious gains you need Rule Breakers, the sorts of up-and-coming superhero stocks that Motley Fool co-founder David Gardner, founder of the No. 1 growth stock newsletter in the world, invests in. What's his secret? We answer that question for you, and reveal a few of David's super-powered selections, in a special 100% FREE report called "6 Picks for Ultimate Growth." Click HERE to discover the secret identities of these winners right now.

• Report this Comment On November 13, 2013, at 7:20 PM, SuntanIronMan wrote:

I have yet to see the new Thor movie, but I did enjoy his performance in the first Thor and The Avengers. Nothing his character did in those two movies ever made any sense (in terms of script-logic), but Hiddleston played him so well that it didn't matter.

• Report this Comment On November 14, 2013, at 12:50 AM, Sherbrooke wrote:

Only went to see the movie for Loki, and I am not the only one.

• Report this Comment On November 14, 2013, at 1:24 AM, jester4investor wrote:

I understand 'Sherbrooke' completely.

I'm 60 years old; my grand-daughter is 15 1/2. We went to see Thor for one reason only: Tom/Loki.

We 'Youtube' him a lot :-)

• Report this Comment On November 14, 2013, at 4:41 AM, cobraman69 wrote:

I'd argue that he wasn't the only person in all three movies that made them successful. A certain Chris Hemsworth was also in all three. Hard to attribute all the success to just Tom.

• Report this Comment On November 14, 2013, at 6:32 AM, noodles85 wrote:

I enjoy Loki as a character but I'm getting a little tired with people attributing the success of these films solely to Tom Hiddlestons character. Hemsworth is one of the best actors to come along in quite some time. I think you would be hard pressed to have a feature film built entirely around Loki, but I'd love to see them make one to see how it would fare.

• Report this Comment On November 14, 2013, at 7:00 AM, Janboreeni wrote:

I agree you shouldn't laud Tom alone in this, in a sense, Chris Hemsworth has the harder job playing Loki's straight man. It is the interactions between the brothers that made me love this film, despite it having some annoying flaws.

There is a petition to Marvel to request stand-alone movie which has (so far) has garnered 34k signatures, but the majority agree it should not be Thor free - simply just a change of emphasis on characters.

• Report this Comment On November 14, 2013, at 7:33 AM, silvermetalflake wrote:

It's no secret. The best films have well written characters. The greatest films have well written villains or "bad boys". When it comes to action movies the hero is nothing without the support of his/her significant evil other. It's the villain is the one that acts, the hero just reacts.

• Report this Comment On November 14, 2013, at 8:56 AM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

@noodles85 and @cobraman69,

You're both right, and I intended no slight towards Chris Hemsworth or any of the other cast members.

To the contrary, I thought the mix was delightful and Hemsworth as Thor is just a thrill to watch. I dearly hope Marvel brings him back for another film.

My point was (and still is) that Hiddleston's performances continue to stand out. Not because the other actors fail in their roles but because he inhabits Loki so well. Marvel would be missing an opportunity, I think, if executives failed to channel that energy in other media -- be it a new movie, a new TV show, or something else I've yet to consider.

Make sense? Thanks for writing!

Foolish best,

Tim

TMFMileHigh in CAPS and on the boards

@milehighfool on Twitter

• Report this Comment On November 14, 2013, at 10:11 AM, drixnot wrote:

To all the folks doubting the power of Loki contributing to the success of the movies I have one thing to say

A superhero is only as good as his villain allows him to be.

Ok... and yes, Tom Hiddleson is adorable.

• Report this Comment On November 14, 2013, at 10:26 AM, lokifan101 wrote:

Loki is the MAIN reason I went to see Thor 2. I feel Marvel movies will really drop the ball if ever they try to replace the characters that we love!!

• Report this Comment On November 14, 2013, at 11:36 AM, CurlyMamasita wrote:

Loki is the smoothest criminal (besides MJ) to hit the screen in a long time. He's the main reason I went to see the Loki movie, aka Thor. Loki!! Loki!! Lokiiiiii!!!!!

• Report this Comment On November 14, 2013, at 11:41 AM, Louis wrote:

I'd rather see a sequel to Ender's Game. I'm tired of all those Superman, Batman, Thor.. etc.

Ender''s Game really has brains and also quite entertaining. And it's so real!

• Report this Comment On November 14, 2013, at 8:54 PM, Cliffhanger77 wrote:

Love Hiddleston, and Loki is my second favorite character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (after Tony Stark, of course!) - I hope, hope, hope they keep him on as a recurring character and that this current Thor movie isn't the end of Loki. Hiddleston seems to be loving the attention (how many actors get that kind of adulation during their careers? Downey is the same way -- they are both great actors and can and will do Oscar-worthy projects, but I think they love and appreciate the popularity of their characters and the fact that kids all over the world love them...as well as some adults *ahem*). You're right - if Marvel could come up with a Loki-centric movie, it would be colossally popular.

• Report this Comment On November 24, 2013, at 10:20 PM, samsara197 wrote:

To tell the truth, Loki saved the two Thor movies from sucking! Tom Hiddleston is just awesome! In my opinion, he's way better actor than Hemsworth.