15 Tech Companies That Will Define 2014

2014 has opened up with a bang. This week, Google  (NASDAQ: GOOGL  ) announced its $3.2 billion acquisition of smart home company Nest. Not only that, but the annual trade show for consumer electronics -- CES -- saw its own share of innovative products like Sony's new cloud-based gaming service, PlayStation Now.

The slideshow below will focus on 15 companies that will define technology in 2014. Some are large players, such as Google and Apple  (NASDAQ: AAPL  ) . While mobile is no longer an up-and-coming trend, both companies will play tremendously important roles across 2014. The list also features some smaller, non-public companies that might be unknown to investors. Companies like Aereo and Oculus VR could both reshape entire industries.

To learn which companies will be creating the future in 2014, simply click on the slideshow below.

Also, make sure to check out our new exclusive investor hub. The hub features Fool co-founder and legendary tech investor David Gardner discussing some of the most important trends today across all of tech. As a bonus, he also selects a handful of exclusive stock picks that stand to benefit the most from those trends. This free site is available for a limited time only, so click here to get started.

• Report this Comment On January 20, 2014, at 6:03 PM, TOM48 wrote:

Would have been nice if you had given the ticker symbols or at less advise if they are not yet publicly traded.

• Report this Comment On January 20, 2014, at 6:06 PM, cmalek wrote:

Virtual Reality was hot about 10 years ago. Then, as quickly as it got hot, it cooled off. What's to prevent that from happening again?

• Report this Comment On January 20, 2014, at 6:45 PM, crca99 wrote:

Try a different font for text.

• Report this Comment On January 20, 2014, at 7:20 PM, hank321 wrote:

Numerous Not traded; gee whiz

Why is Nordic better than SWIR ? are they not direct competitors?

INVN seems expensive; ditto Goog and Nflx and Amzn

Been in QCOM and AAPL for many years

Is Oculus a take over candidate?

• Report this Comment On January 20, 2014, at 8:47 PM, withOpenMind wrote:

Full of pipedreams.

• Report this Comment On January 20, 2014, at 11:03 PM, dwilh51183 wrote:

AAPL AND GOOG ONLY 2 WORTH BUYING, BUT ONLY BUY GOOG IF IT PULLS BACK 200 POINTS. ITS EXPENSIVE COMPARED TO WHAT THEY MAKE. BUT AAPL IS THE CHEAPEST HIGH QUALITY TECH STOCK OUT THERE WITH HUGE EARNINGS AND HUGE UPSIDE. YOU CAN BUY AAPL RIGHT NOW. BUY BEFORE EARNINGS.AFTER EARNINGS LOOKING FOR AAPL TO SOAR STRAIGHT UP TO $785 A SHARE

• Report this Comment On January 21, 2014, at 6:45 AM, bebop111 wrote:

The shakier the argument, the bigger the font.

• Report this Comment On January 21, 2014, at 1:00 PM, mergerman wrote:

Is AEREO a public company? I can't find anything when I lookup. Where can we find more about this company and the SC case?

• Report this Comment On January 21, 2014, at 2:07 PM, mikecart1 wrote:

I actually liked the way this article was presented with the slideshow.

• Report this Comment On January 21, 2014, at 4:27 PM, roundplanet wrote:

No tickers, some IPO's agh

• Report this Comment On January 21, 2014, at 8:31 PM, JavaChipFool wrote:

as of 2 or 3 days ago when I heard the Aereo CEO on NPR's On The Media(I so wanted to abbreviate that OTM), it was not yet publicly traded. He was hinting at an IPO in the futre, if they clear some major lawsuits by network television.

• Report this Comment On January 21, 2014, at 9:45 PM, samsheff86 wrote:

Box val @ Valuation of $16.6 billion - where the hell did you get that from???

• Report this Comment On January 21, 2014, at 10:39 PM, TMFRhino wrote:

Hey same,

That was an accidental paste of the Broadcom data, I'll get that fixed in the morning.

Thanks for noticing!

-Eric

• Report this Comment On January 22, 2014, at 10:41 AM, TMFRhino wrote:

Hey all,

Uploaded a copy with ticker symbols based on some of the comments here. There are some private companies here, but it's important to watch them even if they can't be invested in.

1.) They may go public in this year or beyond.

2.) They all have impacts on large companies already publicly traded that are in your portfolios.

cmalek,

I tried some VR-ish stuff from other companies such as Sony, and it was garbage. Oculus is intriguing (relative to VR tech a decade ago) in part because advancements in motion detection makes the whole experience significantly better. In addition, the company has hired some good talent that can create games built for the platform, so that helps eliminate the chicken and egg problem inherent in new technologies like that.

hank321,

I'm sure SWIR and Nordic could have been traded off. I just was really impressed with a lot of the products the company is in. If a few take off, it'll bring Nordic with them. Lists like this are never definitive however, and SWIR not being on here takes nothing away from it being a company with huge potential in the same space.

Thanks all!

-Eric

• Report this Comment On January 22, 2014, at 5:49 PM, michaelleuck wrote:

What, no 3D printing tech related companies on the list?

• Report this Comment On January 24, 2014, at 4:02 PM, gamerscul9870 wrote:

Hell yes, apple. I find it funny how fansungs keep convincing us on galaxy crap spam think how desperate we are yet they will keep on praying for samsung to make thinks like they are better but they always can't live without apple in order to do it.

• Report this Comment On January 24, 2014, at 4:24 PM, mbhurley2001 wrote:

No cloud infrastructure? CTXS, VMW? What about AT&T and Verizon?

• Report this Comment On January 24, 2014, at 5:03 PM, Megatron916 wrote:

No square?!

• Report this Comment On January 24, 2014, at 5:48 PM, Desi102 wrote:

So VR is the new technology after the death of the internet?

• Report this Comment On January 24, 2014, at 6:31 PM, 1mom555 wrote:

How am I supposed to read your article when there is huge blinking ad right there in front of me? Seriously! Blinking ad?!!! Don't you know better than that?

• Report this Comment On January 24, 2014, at 6:32 PM, 1mom555 wrote:

I stand corrected - two of them!

• Report this Comment On January 24, 2014, at 7:11 PM, abourne wrote:

I've been wondering when SnapChat would be mentioned. Kids don't use FB to talk to each other anymore and in fact, my son (15) and his friends hardly ever post anything on FB at all. They all SnapChat constantly and occasionally put pics on Instagram. That alone has made me hesitant to buy FB. They may have a world of data but younger people aren't using it much anymore.

• Report this Comment On January 24, 2014, at 8:06 PM, RONSWAD wrote:

Do you have anybody in your Motley Fool group that knows anything about Renewable Energy companies that are fighting to be disruptive technology ways to dethrone Big Oil and Gog Coal and big Natural Gas or do you just want to ignore what controls ALL of the American economy.

As long as you are looking at and listing several Privately Owned Companies already here, I suggest you look at ALGENOL in Ft. Myers Florda and interview their CEO, Paul Woods! Their website is www.algenol.com and ALGENOL also has a page on Facebook.

And I am not lucky enough to be among the private stockholders in this entity - but I consider it to be "best of breed" in the battle to replace Big Oil and all the pollution and horizontal drilling with fracking that it represents to America in our addiction to autos.

It is time for XOM and their brethren to be dethroned.

• Report this Comment On January 24, 2014, at 8:41 PM, extet wrote:

Nothing about MEM's ? I'm still trying to find out what he bought with 117,000 plus? and now I'm dismayed 3D isn't included and lastly what's the name of the company that rents that tool for oil that no one else has? Lastly I've been swamped by investment offers that are beginning to drive me nuts.

• Report this Comment On January 24, 2014, at 11:08 PM, Stymie67 wrote:

FYI tear-down of Oculus Rift shows it contains INVN and STM parts. Thought your article might have provided that kind of insight....

• Report this Comment On January 25, 2014, at 1:13 PM, ltebleh wrote:

We are MDP members and investment learning fools. We have been more than satisfied with MF's advise. In simple terms, as a MDP member, what are the benefits of Supernova that I don't get from MDP?

• Report this Comment On January 25, 2014, at 3:16 PM, richak28 wrote:

Rather than flooding my screen with blinking red lights advertising another offer, how about just doing what you promised in my other 2 letters and give me the information there...

• Report this Comment On January 27, 2014, at 5:03 PM, ilsb wrote:

I am new to MF and paid my dues. I am confused. I was supposed to receive investment info. Now I am asked to pay more for supernova? Where does it stop? How about stop the flashing lights and tell me where I find what I signed up for?

• Report this Comment On January 28, 2014, at 6:44 PM, mpetrune wrote:

I agree I paid big bucks for this supernova and I too thought I was supposed to get some great investment info. I would also like see more bang for my buck

• Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 1:57 PM, Gibsland17 wrote:

No real info, just scam after scam looking for more $$$$$. The basic dues give you little info you can use. MF is into GREED with a capital G.

• Report this Comment On February 19, 2014, at 7:37 AM, Rene wrote:

I've already paid for subscription and every time I try to get the stock pick it wants me to pay what the pick for the Silicon Valley oil out of air