Fox’s ‘Fantastic Four’ Reboot May Already Be in Trouble

Before he was Captain America, Chris Evans played the Human Torch in 2005's Fantastic Four. Credit: Twenty-First Century Fox.

Twenty-First Century Fox (NASDAQ: FOXA  ) executives have decided who they want for the studio's Fantastic Four reboot. Kate Mara will play Sue Storm ("The Invisible Woman") with Michael B. Jordan as her brother Johnny ("The Human Torch"). Miles Teller is in talks to play Reed Richards ("Mr. Fantastic") and Jamie Bell is thought to have landed the role of Ben Grimm ("The Thing").

The Internet didn't react well to the news. Maybe not on the same scale as the "Batfleck" backlash, but also not without cause. As CNN entertainment reporter David Daniel put it on Twitter:

Fantastic hurdles
Fair point, and yet we needn't dwell on these sorts of problems when history offers a much bigger hurdle. Soaring expectations for new Marvel-sourced films makes Fox's earlier efforts with the Fantastic Four franchise looks bleak by comparison:

Metric
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Avg. Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie

Domestic gross

$154.7 million

$131.9 million

$295.2 million

International gross

$175.9 million

$157.1 million

$413.0 million

Production budget

$100 million

$130 million

$171.3 million

Estimated break-even

$200 million

$260 million

$342.5 million

Rotten Tomatoes ratings

(critics / audiences)

27% / 46%

37% / 52%

78% / 80%

Sources: Box Office Mojo, Rotten Tomatoes.

I mention this because Fox either deliberately or accidentally leaked its casting progress the same week that Walt Disney (NYSE: DIS  ) and Marvel Studios started marketing Guardians of the Galaxy. Could it have been just a flub? It's honestly hard to know. In a video interview with MTV News, actress Kate Mara responded to news of her casting by denying she'd been cast.

"According to Twitter, I am [in the movie]," Mara said. "I literally don't know 100% that I have the part.... I don't like to celebrate before something's real because how embarrassing would that be? I hope so." She's since confirmed the news in a tweet. If only enough people cared.

Overshadowed by a talking tree
Instead, fans seem to be ignoring the Fox project and rocking out to Blue Swede's 1974 hit "Hooked on a Feeling," which backed Guardians' two-and-a-half minute trailer. Billboard reports that sales of the track zoomed more than 700% the morning after the trailer aired Tuesday night on Jimmy Kimmel Live. Roughly 9.5 million have tuned in since.

Guardians of the Galaxy opens Aug. 1 in U.S theaters. Credit: Marvel Entertainment.

The Social Web has proven to be just as interested in the rag-tag group, which includes the gun-toting raccoon Rocket (voiced by Bradley Cooper) and the tree-like Groot (voiced by Vin Diesel). According to research firm Fizziology, Guardians of the Galaxy inspired 88,000 social media mentions in the first 12 hours following the trailer's release. By contrast, Man of Steel earned 75,000 mentions in the first 24 hours after the release of its first trailer. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 garnered 96,000 mentions over a similar period.

Even better, hardcore fans like me -- a tough crowd, in many respects -- appear to love what Guardians director James Gunn has planned. Of the 800-plus who responded to a ComicBookMovie.com poll asking what they thought of the trailer, more than half called it "perfection." Another 7% said they "liked it a lot" while just under 30% thought it was a good introduction but want to see more. Only 11% expressed serious doubts about the film.

Verdict: a bad business move by Fox
Which brings us back to the Fantastic Four reboot. For better or worse, Marvel Studios has set a high standard for what fans expect from a branded film, even if it's another studio working on the property. Guardians' introduction only served to reinforce that theme, and it did so right as Fox fumbled its casting reveal for the new FF film.

If there's good news here it's that The Fantastic Four doesn't open till June of 2015. Maybe that's enough time for fans to get hooked on a feeling about Mara, Jordan, Teller, and Bell as Marvel's First Family. Right now, they're too preoccupied with a spacefaring varmint, a talking tree, a Han Solo wannabe, a vengeance-driven force of nature, and a green-skinned assassin to notice.

Now it's your turn to weigh in. Have you seen the trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy? If not, enjoy below, and then leave a comment to let us know what you think of the prospects for both films.

The trailer that started the social media firestorm, and overshadowed Fox's Fantastic Four reveal in the process. Sources: Marvel Entertainment, YouTube.

6 stocks with stratospheric potential
They said it couldn't be done. But David Gardner has proved them wrong time, and time, and time again with stock returns like 926%, 2,239%, and 4,371%. In fact, just recently one of his favorite stocks became a 100-bagger. And he's ready to do it again. You can uncover his scientific approach to crushing the market and his carefully chosen six picks for ultimate growth instantly, because he's making this premium report free for you today. Click here now for access.


Read/Post Comments (49) | Recommend This Article (12)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On February 22, 2014, at 6:21 PM, JustAGuyNamedJoe wrote:

    Time to re-boot this re-boot. The casting is awful, the level of origin re-writing is criminal....this movie should be called the Fantastic Fail because that's what its going to do: fail....fantastically.

  • Report this Comment On February 22, 2014, at 7:49 PM, hbk72777 wrote:

    Don't tiptoe around the real issue. They made the Human Torch black, while his sister is cast as white. It's beyond ridiculous

  • Report this Comment On February 22, 2014, at 8:26 PM, Brrryce wrote:

    One is casting news, the other is a full, million dollar trailer: apples/kumquats. Plus, it was weird the author never mentioned race, because that's what has a "certain segment" riled. But, I suspect, it will be like the Hunger Games. Horrible, race-focused things will be written by a VERY vocal MINORITY, still, the project will make money. To all the 'fanboys' out there: it's fiction. You can accept a flying, burning man... so long as he's not black? A couple of reality bites: This is the 21st century, Spielberg's son is black. George Lucas' wife is black. Tom Cruise, Sondra Bullock, Charlize Theron, Madonna, Brad Pitt all have black kids, most of whom have white siblings. Grow up.

  • Report this Comment On February 22, 2014, at 8:32 PM, Brrryce wrote:

    Btw, I will be buying tickets for FF for me and my family.

  • Report this Comment On February 22, 2014, at 8:51 PM, hbt2014 wrote:

    Brrryce I think you're right about the race angle with some people, or 'fanboys' as you like to put it, but with me it's all about the characters: the Storms are siblings. If Michael B. Jordan is cast as Human Torch, fine. I think he's great. But make Sue Storm black, like her brother. Kerry Washington would be great to look at and a great actress as well. It just doesn't make sense. What are they going to be foster siblings? I don't mind taking liberties with an existing property, but don't fumble it before you've even gone into production.

    Race aside, this cast is extremely suspect. This feels more like, let's pluck the hot young actors from a list we came up with and make a superhero movie...which is exactly why Fox is lagging behind Marvel/Disney.

    Btw, thank you for telling us that you'll be buying tickets for a movie that hasn't been filmed yet. I'll wait for the trailer.

  • Report this Comment On February 22, 2014, at 9:38 PM, hectoruno wrote:

    The trailer for GOTG WAS perfect. I am 100% a Fantastic Four fan but I would rather spend my money on the Guardians of the Galaxy. For research I re-watched Chronicle. I am not impressed with the Director or the actor playing Human Torch. IT had no Marvel feel at all.

  • Report this Comment On February 22, 2014, at 9:40 PM, SMP wrote:

    This new incarnation of the Fantastic Four is one of the worst cast comic movies ever. Johnny and Sue are "blood" siblings. Blood. Not adopted. It matters. I have read many Fantastic Four books, and it is a deep bond that can only be explained by blood. 20th Century Fox and its cast can try to spin it all they want, but the fact is that there is a strong backlash. Some of it is racial, but mine is that it messes with the bond and the dynamics of the original storyline. I know 20th Century Fox wants to take The Fantastic Four into new territory. But how about giving it instead the most accurate interpretation first, based on the source material that fans have loved for 50 years. It is a travesty. On top of the that the rest of the cast is a mess, they are way too young. And talk of a female Doctor Doom is just ridiculous. This movie will crash and burn in flames.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 12:03 AM, harshaw2002 wrote:

    I will say as most everyone has said,this movie will be a complete failure. I am a fanboy and I think they are messing with what we all know and that is Susan Storm and Johnny Storm are blood siblings not step or adopted,"BLOOD",so why have her be white and him black. Try to stick to some original facts instead of screwing up everything. I don't even mind that some of the characters are younger than what they originally are,that could be a cool thing but to mess with the common family bond and knowledge that the storms are blood is pathetic

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 12:07 AM, Thorinskald wrote:

    Sorry, but this IS a race-related issue. How would the Black community like it if there was a re-boot of the X-Men, and Storm was white, and had the power of ancient Europe as her Mutant ability? Or, how about if BA Barracous from the A-TEAM were played by a White guy? Or, how about a new FAT ALBERT cartoon show, were any one of the "Junk-yard Gang" were White kids? You can NOT change established ethnic superheroes. Yes, I agree fully that Black kids NEED superheroes who are BLACK.....but there are a number of AMAZING Black superheroes....Black Panter, CYBORG, BISHOP, Falcon, and Mr. Terrific to name just a few. How about making a whole NEW team of ALL Black superheroes?? That would be cool~! I would love to see it~! I have been a fan of comic books ALL of my life, and grew up watching SUPER-STRETCH & MICRO-WOMAN, ISIS, BLACK VULCAN, and all the other cool NON-White superheroes. Sorry, but you CANNOT, and should NOT make the TORCH into a Black guy JUST to get ratings. Make the movie GOOD......but, not at this expense.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 12:14 AM, NKnight1228 wrote:

    I find it repulsive that, right away, people are playing the whole race angle as an excuse.

    Poppycock.

    The fact is, the casting just out and out sucks. Not just one, but ALL of them. That's it. Wrap it up and call it a day.

    As someone else pointed out, previously, the FF are a family. More importantly, Marvel's FIRST family AND the flagship characters that helped make Marvel what it is today. You need to do the source material some justice and show respect. At least with the last incarnation of the FF, they made an effort. This time out, they're not even trying. I don't care if they cast a pink and purple polka-dot person as whomever. It just won't work. Why? Because people won't buy into what they're trying to do. Comic fans are a somewhat flexible bunch. They can handle SOME differences. But there are just some things that won't fly. Not only that, but there's not one name that I recognized out of the entire lot. You need at least SOME well-known talent to get people into the seats, otherwise why bother to put the movie to lens to begin with? Jessica Alba, Michael Chiklis and Julian Macmahon were at least pretty well-known. These kids? Wouldn't know them if I passed them on a sunny sidewalk.

    Fox should just let the rights revert back to Marvel and be done with it. After the last blunder with the wooden Silver Surfer and the gaseous cloud formerly known as Galactus, they should just forget any hope of reviving the franchise. Marvel would do a much better job.

    And we all know it.....

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 12:17 AM, Droppo wrote:

    They didn't flub the casting news. They just released a cast list that people hate. That's not a flub in the delivery. It's a flub of a decision that can sink the entire movie. How much money are they going to pour into a movie that has very little positive buzz and a whole lot of negative? They have time to recast and rewrite. They need to do it and delay the film if they have to because they are going to regret it otherwise. I hate that they are doing this so badly too because after another weak FF movie, who will want to touch it? This should be a blockbuster, not a bargain bin dvd for 3.99 that still gets passed up because that's too much to pay for it.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 12:17 AM, PAJohnDoe wrote:

    "The internet didn't react well to the news."

    That's so unlike the internet to react negatively to things. I mean, it could be the BEST news, and the internet would still do that. Remember, per internet law, everything is the worst thing ever until it's the best thing ever, and then the first part will be conveniently forgotten.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 12:30 AM, punchdrunktrav wrote:

    Man I hate this article. First of all, the author is comparing the lack of enthusiasm surrounding the Fantastic Four cast to the hot buzz surrounding the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer. Two totally different things here. Two: who gives a sh*t if some CNN dork is upset that Miles Teller is younger than Kate Mara? The real reason people are upset over the casting is Michael B. Jordan, and the author seems to just skirt right on by that. For the record, it's the sibling relationship that matters between the Storms, not DNA. And three, he's basically saying the film will fail because Marvel movies have high box office expectations now, and the previous 'FF' movies didn't reach that. There hasn't been an 'FF' film since 2007, and it was only recently that Marvel's movies have been doing such astronomical business. Tthis 'FF' won't be the last one, which had absolutely zero star power and a director who doesn't do big visual effects. It's unfair to compare a Marvel movie from seven years ago with what's being done now.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 12:30 AM, 843Legend wrote:

    Fox stick to what you know and stay away from what you don't know and that's Marvel comics...Reboot, reboot, reboot, in another word REPEAT..... Move on already, all you're doing is following the same redundant path as Superman, Spider-Man retold again! You haven't learned and you have an example right in front of you, Marvel via Disney. Fantastic Four is just one piece in the entire universal puzzle which is constantly evolving not repeating itself. Fox you can't even get off of square one. Hmmmm, I have an idea, let's re-interpret Fantastic Four and let's switch the cast members... brilliant... NOT!!! Fox it's not brilliant at all and the results will show at the box office.. By revealing your cast for the Fantastic Four you're attempting to reinvent the wheel. Since you can't seem to stick to the original well documented script that has been around longer then your existence, then graciously let your contract expire and allow the Fantastic Four to return to there rightful owner, (as you did with the Daredevil) Marvel so they can return the Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer back to there rightful place in the Marvel Universe...

    P.S. Yes, I recognize my comments will fall on deaf ears because of perceived $$$$ signs, however we shall see.....

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 12:35 AM, RPG wrote:

    Where was the outrage when Hugh Jackman looked 45 on-screen as the NON-aging Wolverine? Apparently $400+ million WW (est. $200+ million budget/PA) at the box office might convey some concern, but a sequel has been put into production.

    Where was the outrage when Superman died and came back to life in the comics? Where was the outrage when Spiderman died and was replaced by a Hispanic teen in the comics? Where was the outrage when a Green Lantern went straight to Gay in the comics? Apparently, the writing and drawing for those issues worked and successfully sold the comic storyline.

    Let's hold off passing judgement, until we see the work of the writers, directors and actors on the silver screen. If all three work, as FOX intends, we may just like the film.

    NOW...

    The chart used to "Estimate Break Even" is missing a key "Break Even" factor... P&A. Missing such a critical factor destroys any financial credibility this article tries to convey. Strongly recommend doing additional research, adding the P&A row and then revising "Estimated break-even".

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 12:58 AM, leofox13 wrote:

    Sorry TIm, but I cant seem to agree with your comments of star lord being a wannabe han solo. And claiming to be a die hard fan is worse. Star lord was first introduced in marvel preview # 4 in jan of 1976 and Star wars a new hope was aired in 1977 of course taking in account of filming and production, it's safe to say that Star lord was introduced first.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 3:02 AM, chrisid555 wrote:

    well i really really hate the casting I don't hate black i have a lot of friends that are black but if fox want johnny storm to be black they should cast a same race for sue storm because they are siblings men what the heck !! science men basic science

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 4:06 AM, kangarookid wrote:

    @ rpg... why would there be outrage over a 45 year old looking wolverine...? he's not non-aging, but slow-aging... and, he doesn't exactly look young in the comics, except in the ultimate marvel universe... there was no outrage, or at the least, no major outrage with the deaths of superman and spidermen, because the fans are used to heros dying and coming back to life... that said, i do not recall spiderman being replaced by a hispanic teen, but, since he is no longer hispanic, i reckon it was somehow explained away... as for the gay green lantern, there was plenty of outrage over that... your argument is missing a "key" "where was the outrage" factor... "Where was the outrage with a black nick fury"... missing such a critical factor destroys any credibility your argument tries to convey... i do not recall there being a huge outrage, and apparently, it was written good enough, that it sold enough tickets... does that not prove that a good portion of the fans are not hating on ff JUST because they cast the human torch as a black kid?? it has more to do with johnny and sue being blood-siblings... i'm just sayin'...

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 4:29 AM, ShepardRahl wrote:

    I myself thought that cast looked a little young. That is kind of a turn off for me. Personally I thought the first two movies were perfectly cast. I wish they would just make a third movie but I understand why they can't. For one they just want to reboot it because Fox is dumb, and Chris Evans has moved on and has a good thing going with Captain America so he is obviously unavailable.

    As far as turning Johnny black...some of the comparisons on here are a bit ridiculous. Like this one..."how about if BA Barracous from the A-TEAM were played by a White guy?" If that actually happened it wouldn't bother near as much as turning Johnny black for this simple reason; Susan and Johnny are full blood siblings. If you turn Johnny black you are screwing with one of the core dynamics of the team. I have no doubt that there is a racial aspect to the anger, but I'm sure it has more to do with how they are trying to screw with the dynamics of the team. It would be like if they made Reed gay and had him in a relationship with Johnny, or turned Reed into a black woman and had him in a lesbian relationship with Susan. I'm sure either of these scenarios would also meet outrage. The bigots would also be out...perhaps in even greater force because now we are talking about the gay, but I'm sure most people would still just be upset because they are changing certain aspects of the team.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 8:12 AM, Allend406 wrote:

    Dont care about casting or direction because i dont really care about the fantastic four there so dated didnt even like them when i was a kid way more excited for yhe guardians of the galaxy and i honestly dont even know who they are.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 8:17 AM, PAJohnDoe wrote:

    @843Legend

    You're incorrect. Your comments will fall on deaf ears because they're in the comments section of a website that the higher-ups at Fox have never heard of, much less paid attention to or read. See also: The comments section of every other site like this ever.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 8:29 AM, NubianGoddess wrote:

    I really don't like these movies. I have know idea on why they would try to do a reboot. As for Michael B. Jordan being cast as the Human Torch, I don't think that should happen more than Spider-Man being gay (not trying to be homophobic). I don't think Batman vs. Superman will do that well and neither will this.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 9:07 AM, zeeEVIL1 wrote:

    Either make her black, or make him white. It is that simple. I am good with them changing the race. As long as they keep the blood relatives thing in place which informs a lot about those characters. Another thing, is Reed is supposed to be about 10 years older than Sue and that guy doesn't even look as old as the actress that is playing her.

    FOX is clueless on how to make their superhero films successful.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 9:53 AM, trinity40 wrote:

    If they remade the jefferesons, sandford and son, different strokes, and good times and make them all white, then let's see how everyone will react to that.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 10:06 AM, 3dpenguin wrote:

    What most people don't see is the big picture, Fox doesn't give flying monkey throwing feces about Fantastic Four. Why? By making this film they have protected their licensing right from being taken back by Disney/Marvel for being unused. If it does well they get their money back, if it does horrible Disney/Marvel might feel it is time to wrangle in another one of their franchises from having movies made beyond their control, e.g. Incredible Hulk, Daredevil, Punisher, and thus a big pay off because Marvel would have to buy out the license agreement.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 10:50 AM, coptermech66 wrote:

    With casting like this I think FF will actually stand for Fantastic Flop! This is almost as bad as the next Superman movie casting choices. Hollywood just can't help playing the PC card and it's ridiculous!

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 11:25 AM, Stingrae wrote:

    A black Johnny Storm? Sue's blood brother? I can't believe Stan Lee would allow them to change what has been in the comic's since 1961. Growing up reading my favorite comic FF, the human torch was my favorite character. One thing for sure if the studios go through with this, they're not going to get my hard earned money to watch this travisty. Shame on you STAN! Flame OFF!

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 11:40 AM, KAReiter wrote:

    Brrryce - I'm a member of the certain segment to which you are referring. I am a fanboy and have been one for nearly 30 years. Over those nearly 30 years, I have developed a fond attachment to the characters and their stories. I want to see the Fantastic Four depicted on the screen as they are in the comic books. Does that make me racist? Hardly. I have read a number of comments on other sites (this casting news has been out for nearly a month already so it's not a big shock for most of us "fanboys"), and it surprises me that so many people consider this a victory for African Americans. It's nothing of the sort. They've picked Michael B. Jordan for the role of a white guy. What the studio is telling you is that there are no good black heroes to make into a feature-length film. Unlike Marvel/Disney, who has successfully brought War Machine and Falcon to the big screen. Fox simply says "let's plug a black guy in for Johnny Storm." I find that more insulting than ignoring the entire cadre of black heroes that exist. Why can't I buy a ticket to a Luke Cage movie? How about Power Man and Iron Fist? Quantum and Woody could be a very entertaining film as well. Why not reboot Green Lantern with John Stewart wielding the ring this time? The most obvious would be Black Panther, who could easily find a foothold with an appearance in any of Marvel's already established franchises. Personally, I would love to see a Luke Cage film with Rockmond Dunbar getting the role. I think it would work. I know many people would argue that to launch a black superhero, a more prominent actor would be needed. My reply would be that Dunbar has the chops (watch Soul Food, Prison Break, and Sons of Anarchy for proof) and, more importantly, the look. My only concern would be that he stands only 5'10", but I'm sure Hollywood could fix that minor issue. So, while my issue seems to stem from some racist agenda, it doesn't. If you are going to give me a black super hero, then give me one that deserves the recognition. Don't plug a black actor into a white role because you want to look edgy, politically correct, or to reach an untapped demographic in an attempt to recover the loss the film is sure to take. It just screams "gimmick". Besides, there are way more interesting black heroes out there than Johnny Storm. Hell, I would love for Marvel to have the guts to make the true origin of Captain America as depicted in Robert Morales's Truth: Red, White, and Black. But, if a black Johnny Storm is all they are willing to give us at this time, then we can rest assured that Morales's eye-opening look into the origin of one of our nation's greatest heroes will never see the light of day -- and that is what's truly wrong with Hollywood's perception of black actors and black superheroes.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 11:47 AM, Richardragan wrote:

    this F.Four movie is so wrong the actors are too young . Casting a black actor to be the Torch is very wrong .I dont have anything agence black actors im sure Mr.Jorden is a fine actor But the Torch isnt black .Why cant they just cast him as the Black Panther or Luke Cage Powerman thoses are movies id love to see unless they cast a white actor that would be wrong too. They can count be out from seeing this movie i dont care what the trailer looks like or who the villan is .Im hearing that they are going to cast a female to play Dr.Doom that wont suprize me . As for the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer WOW what a movie this one will be . Cant wait to see it im taking all of my frends and paying their way in .I may even see it more than once . This movie will build up to a Infinity Gauntlet movie im sure of it .We have allready seen the stones appear in Ironman ,Avengers ,Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and in Thor the first movie we see the Infinity Glove and a stone in Thor2 we see the Colector gettin another stone in Avengers we see Thano at the end of the movie .Im sure Marvels phase3 will involve a Thano Avengers and Guardians showdown and who knows others may appear soon .For this reason is why they are comming out with the Guardians movie.Hang on to your socks its gona be a run ride Marvel is building up to a Blockbuster showdown with Thanos. On a side note did anyone see a giant egg behind the Colector in the Guardians trailer hummm could this be HIM a.k.a. Adam Warlock he does play a central roll in the Infinity Gauntlet story line ....Do not miss the Guardians movie its going to be a blast . Goodluck and may God protect us from Thano's lust for death.....

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 12:26 PM, InvisibleZombie wrote:

    The whole "If you can believe he can burst into flames why can't you believe he's black?" argument is a bad distraction.

    Second, to all the defenders who say "Race doesn't matter." let's hear you say that at the next Trayvon-type uproar and trial. Yeah, I didn't think so. Race, gender, sexuality, religion, disabilities DO have strong bearings on people in real life and fiction.

    Third, I agree the entire cast looks very wrong for the traditional FF heroes as we know them. If they want to re-boot and drastically alter the FF universe then they should just say so! Just tell us it's "Loosely inspired by..." and not "Based on..."

    Personally they probably would have had better success if they brought Alba, Chiklis etc. back for a third run. The non-continuity and re-booting of mild successes only leads the audience to never get invested in a property. Like if they stopped the Harry Potter films mid-way because one didn't do very well. Why bother?

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 12:39 PM, Qanda247 wrote:

    try this:

    Reed Richards:

    1.) George Clooney (women would flock!)

    2.) Clive Owen ( action anyone?)

    3.) Aaron Eckhart

    4.) Ed Harris

    5.) Gary Sinise ( he is a PR dream)

    6.) Josh Brolin (leader of the free world dammit!)

    7.) Sam Rockwell

    8.) Tommy Lee Jones

    Torch:

    1.) Bradley cooper

    2.) Westley from Star Trek TNG

    3.) The lead from I am #4

    4.) Ryan Phillipe ( he needs a break!)

    5.) Aaron Paul (anyone remember him?)

    6.) Freddy Prinze Jr.

    7.) Norman Reedus ( zombies in space!)

    8.) Orlando Bloom

    9.) Ryan Gosling

    The THING:

    1.) Dwayne Johnson (uhm...duh)

    2.) Jason Statham

    3.) Mark Wahlberg ( dude can beef uo AND, he loves comics!)

    4.) Oliver Platt (think it through...He's got the jaw line)

    5.) Vin Diesel ( he needs a new franchise - other than a voice)

    Sue Storm.

    1.) I liked the first one!

    2.) Olivia Wilde

    3.) Emma Watson

    4.) Dakota Fanning

    5.) Jennifer connely - scientist in the HULK movie too

    6.) Amanda Seyfried

    7.) Julia Skiles

    8.) Kristen Bell ( she already was a hero!)

    9.) Tara Reid

    10. ( Yvonne Straovski (chuck fans?)

    What do you think of my list? took e 20 minutes.....Fox sucks at it.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 1:01 PM, Mortebellum wrote:

    Everyone seems to be making this an issue of "Why should the Human Torch not be black". Plain and simple, its because Johnny Storm in the 50 year old comic ( over 50 years of continuity) is white. There are plenty of awesome black super heroes that I would be pissed off about if some movie tried to make them white. Keep the continuity of the comics accurate. Nick Fury was made black in the Marvel movies, which was wierd, but it was made to work because he was a stand alone character that wasnt himseld very iconic. The Human Torch IS iconic and people already know him. With the provided cast, I would not see this movie. You cant change an established icon characters race simply because you want to. Superman is white, Professor X is white, The Panther is black, Bishop is black, Green Lantern has been both white and black (two different characters), and Johnny Storm is white. Now, focus on a good cohesive cast and a good script.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 1:01 PM, Brrryce wrote:

    I am seriously enjoying the racially tinged silliness. So, I thank the Fool for obviously culling the hateful comments. Here's a fact - Fox owns the FICTIONAL property and is fine with a black actor. Of COURSE, they can change his race and i applaud them for it. End of discussion. But, for those who don't get genetics - one of my cousins looks white, one looks black. They are FULL siblings. That's the real world with parents of two races. So, this whole 'make Sue black' subterfuge is just that. I'm going to go on record and say that commenters writing that are just covering their motives. Again, get over it. 50 years ago, American comics didn't create black characters. So, I don't have to respect your insistence that white characters stay white, just like i don't have to accept Birth of a Nation as the way race relations should be handled in the 21st century. Don't like it? Don't go to the movie. I will be going. I liked the first FF FILMS and i liked Jordan in Fruitvale and Chronicle. He's a fine actor. The truth is 'fanboys' are a small enough segment of the actual movie-going public, that they can't make a movie successful by themselves. So, kicking and screaming, comics and movies will reflect modern America. That's not PC, that's just smart business. Ignoring 45 million black people just to keep the superhero genre all-white like its 1959 or something is dumb. Hancock did nearly half a BILLION dollars in global business. I'm pretty sure most of the world is OK with a black Human Torch.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 1:18 PM, DannyStilletto wrote:

    This movie is doomed to be terrible. No one wants to see one of Marvel's oldest franchises bastardized by terrible casting.

    Michael B Jordan is a great young actor but even he cannot play a blonde haired blue eyed young man who turns into the Human Torch.

    Sorry but it's already been established by the Stan Lee who and what Johnny Storm looks like.

    Just like you wouldn't cast a black kid to play Huck Finn or a white woman to play LT. Uhura you can't cast a black guy to play Johnny Storm and expect many people to pay and see it.

    What will be next? Tom Cruise as "Othello".

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 1:36 PM, manfish wrote:

    They will do better with the original cast, but that thought will fall on deaf ears. The movie goers have spoken but they will not be heard and thus we must stay home on this movie, and let it come to the discount bin at Wal-Mart, that will get their attention.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 2:14 PM, Richardragan wrote:

    Why this movie will be the Fantastic Fail movie its doomed to be .. 1.. Sue and Johnny are twins how can that be one white and one black..2..the actors are too young..now they talking about Dr.Doom as a woman give me a break.. this movie will bomb big time .i will not be seeing this movie at the movies or on dvd i dout ill even watch it for free on tv .I expect Fox is just tring to rush this movie out so they wont lose the rights back to Marvel / Disney... i would feel the same way if they tried to cast a white actor to play the Black Panther or Luke Cage Powerman ..

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 2:30 PM, cysko wrote:

    As a comic fanboy I have known about the possibility of the Human Torch being played by Michael B. Jordan for quite a while now. Initially, I was upset with that idea because I prefer that when studios adapt a comic into a movie that the characters are portrayed as closely to the comic as possible. This includes the race of the character. Now for me there are exceptions. Although Nick Fury is white, I do prefer the Ultimate version of Nick Fury who happens to be black because for the longest time I thought Sam Jackson would be the perfect actor to play him in a movie. When Jackson was cast as Fury, I was on board right away. Going back to Torch, I eventually accepted the fact that Torch will be black in the movie because I thought highly of Michael B. Jordan. Still, I was iffy on this movie because they were willing to take an unnecessary risk. This was a sign that Fox was going to make further changes. The worst comic book movies are the ones that stray too much away from the original source. Marvel studio gets this and that is part of the reason why their movies are successful.

    Even though I accepted Jordan as Torch, the idea of a re-boot still did not excite me, but I was willing to wait for a trailer to make further judgement. When I heard of the full F4 casting, I was shocked and upset. I am fine with the actors and their individual work, but casting wise none of them make the perfect choice to play their respective characters. All out the 4, Michael B. Jordan might be the most suited to play his character.

    When you think about it they are changing a lot. This is a younger group and better looking group. That is not what F4 is about. Reed is suppose to be the patriarch and older more experienced leader of the group. Grimm is the gentle giant both as the Thing and as his human form. I don't see Teller and Belle portraying that accurately. It is almost as if the writers of Twilight or the Mortal Instrument wanted to write their own version of F4. I think this the main reason why fans are upset.

    You can still make a good movie, but with so many changes are you making a Fantastic 4 movie or just a knock off?

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 3:37 PM, CFB1 wrote:

    So now Johnny Storm is black.

    Maybe they should get Jet Li to play the Thing.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 4:11 PM, SparkyJones117 wrote:

    This just in, Lil' Wayne has just been cast as the Invisible Girl and William Hung is playing Galactus.

    This film will now make literally hundreds of dollars

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 5:05 PM, pillar81 wrote:

    Referring to Brrryce’s Hunger Games comparison, in the book that character most definitely a person of color, by the description in the source material. The fact that the character was obviously black yet the vocal minority has bitch fit about casting a black actor is purely crappy reading comprehension and racist minds.

    Of course, FOX casting a black actor to play a hot tempered brother seems racist itself.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 6:02 PM, StarHunter5 wrote:

    The New Fantastic Four will never work, if the Studio forgets the Long History of the Fantastic Four. That Johnny and Sue are Brother and Sister [ the Storms are Blood Siblings] , that Reed is one of the World's Greatest Scientists and is older than the rest of the team [it takes quite a while to learn all that Science] and that Ben Grimm was from the Bronks [ or somewhere around there] and was both Real tough and had a Gentle Heart.

    If the Studio changes the Characters that make up the Fantastic Four, including the supporting Characters like Doctor Doom, Silver Surfer, the Inhumans and the others, Then they are doing an injustice to the Fantastic Four.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 6:45 PM, tl2dajames wrote:

    I'm black and I agree that The Human Torch should remain a white character, I mean I believe that Mike B. is a great actor but this is not about black or white its about the character and to change the color would be devastating to any true comic book head such as myself. I've got comic books worth $100's of dollars that I've been collecting since the early 80's and I would just love for the Characters to remain the same way that they were introduced to us.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 7:52 PM, milojthatch wrote:

    I'd like to know how many here who have no issue with Johnny being turned black are the kind of modern thinkers that turn around and would argue that we should all be true to ourselves? Yes, Human Torch is a fictional character, but so what? As others here have argued, should we turn black characters into white ones? The identity of these characters matters.

    And no, I'm not racist. In fact I'm dying to see a Black Panther film and would love to see Power Man. I'm also a big Star Trek fan, and if for some reason Paramount finally gave the crew of Deep Space Nine a film staring the black Capt. Sisko, I'd be really excited!

    The issue with a lot of long times fans isn't just Johnny however, it's the whole dang cast. The fact is Fox is making this film 100% so that Marvel and Disney don't end up with the rights back. The fact that it was first announced the day after Disney first bought Marvel and announced that to the world, despite before that no one at Fox seeming excited about anymore FF films really testifies that fact. They are trying to slap a product out there and expect people will make it a financial hit "just because it has the Fantastic Four and Marvel name on it," without a single clue of what they are doing.

    This is why I just can't get excited about another FF film unless Marvel is making it.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 8:08 PM, gregranking wrote:

    Marvel, Walt Disney etc deliberately left minorities out comics, cartoons etc for decades and any that was placed were villains or sidekicks. Decades of minority children grew up only seeing only white characters as the lead/hero in comics and cartoons (reason why Bill Cosby created Fat Albert) .... .so Marvel WD and others are now trying to fix that wrong by remaking some characters to be minorities.

    That being said I grew up collecting comics and i'm beyond puzzled as my they would mix the siblings. Throws the story too far off. They could have made them both asian or hispanic who cares. Im ok with Hollywood trying to fix the past just don't muck it up.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 8:16 PM, deathadder wrote:

    How about this - WE WANT A 100% A TRUE FF MOVIE, NOT A FOX REINVENTION

    Are questions about race being discussed? Yes Let's face it though, FOX has over and over and OVER again disappointed fans of Marvel characters, when all they have to do is stay true to the characters and stories.

    It's as simple as that and the REAL ISSUE

    Cast all the movies and all the characters with African American actors, just make sure the CHARACTERS & STORYLINES STAY TRUE TO MARVEL, enough of these studio executive reinventions, WE DON'T LIKE IT

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 8:43 PM, Cliffhanger77 wrote:

    *Rolls eyes* at the casting "controversy." The fact is that the comic-book fanboys to whom all this matters so awfully much are but a tiny, tiny segment of the movie viewing audience. This whole thing reminds me of all the fanboys who got their panties in a twist and were so vocal online about the Marvel Cinematic Universe "ruining" the Mandarin in "Iron Man 3." Yeah, that really hurt IM3's bottom line - because in the end, NO ONE CARED -- and in fact most of us thought the "Mandarin twist" was enormously funny and a huge part of why the movie worked as well as it did. And I recall the huge fan upset when the rebooted "Battlestar Galactica" cast a woman as Starbuck - and yet now that's one of the most beloved parts of the show, which was far better than its goofy predecessor. And then the uproar over CBS casting Lucy Liu as Watson in "Elementary" - from the fan upset, you'd think a female Dr. Watson was the end of the world. And yet "Elementary" is now the most successful Sherlock Holmes TV adaptation of all time, both monetarily and in viewer numbers.

    The point being - the so-called "loyal fans" who protest against these casting decisions are loud and obnoxious online, but studios tend to ignore them, because in real numbers, they don't count at all.

    Remember, when Robert Downey Jr. was first cast as Iron Man, there was a lot of fan outrage too (hard to believe now, but yes, there was...). Now we can't imagine anyone else in the part.

    As someone with a passing acquaintance with Marvel canon, I can say truly I DON'T CARE if they want to portray the brother-sister Storms with actors of two different races. They're actors - this is what they do. All that matters to me is good acting.

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 9:26 PM, deathadder wrote:

    They do care, the graph in the beginning even shows, there's over a $100 million difference for the average FOX FF movie and the average Disney Marvel movie

    This FF movie has insane amounts of red flags that go way beyond casting a black actor as the Human Torch

    It's a decades worth of disappointments from FOX, you can fool the people, forget about the fanboys, you can fool the people so many times before they catch on, FOX's street cred is terrible and outclassed by Disney

  • Report this Comment On February 23, 2014, at 11:02 PM, spinod wrote:

    They should probably start getting people that actually read comics in casting chairs because whoever has been making casting calls as of late is TERRIBLE. Look at Harry Osbourne.... only people getting things right are Marvel themselves....

  • Report this Comment On February 24, 2014, at 1:28 AM, belardo wrote:

    Yup! Blood siblings should be the same race. The look of the characters from the previous two movies were fine.... just that the stories, directing, etc was ho-hum... And this is worse.

    How about making Mr. Fantastic, black? That'll work.

    And the THING can be Chinese.

Add your comment.

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2850018, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 8/31/2014 12:19:18 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...


Advertisement