Recs

4 Things That Will Surprise You About Retirement

Retirement is supposed to be a time of leisure, when folks who've worked and saved their whole lives get to enjoy the fruits of their labors.

The reality is a lot more stressful. Consider just this one stat: Some 45% of Americans enter retirement still paying off their house. With no more earnings coming in the door, that puts a further strain on savings accounts.

In the video below, senior editor Dayana Yochim and Robert Brokamp, a Certified Financial Planner and advisor of Motley Fool Rule Your Retirement, discuss four of the most surprising things about retirement.

The best investing approach is to choose great companies and stick with them for the long term. The Motley Fool's free report "3 Stocks That Will Help You Retire Rich" names stocks that could help you build long-term wealth and retire well, along with some winning wealth-building strategies that every investor should be aware of. Click here now to keep reading.

• Report this Comment On April 24, 2013, at 12:11 PM, lilyvonshtupp wrote:

#1 - You cant afford it.

• Report this Comment On April 24, 2013, at 2:12 PM, Alessa1952 wrote:

I liked your article and video on retirement since I just retired myself. In fact I referenced it and embedded the video on my blog site. Thanks for the information. And, yes, I was surprised by the senior syphilis!

• Report this Comment On April 24, 2013, at 4:21 PM, Grubnut wrote:

The incidence of STDs among seniors is NOT the highest of any age group. According to CDC data, it is the LOWEST of all age groups over the age of 14. What CDC data reveal is that the incidence of STDs among seniors is increasing at a higher *rate* than other age groups because of unprotected sex. That is an important distinction. The number of STDs contracted by seniors was small to begin with, so even a small increase translates into a higher *rate* of increase. The WebMD artcle that is the source of this information is totally misleading and is a glaring example of why WebMD should never be consulted for health information. It is also a stark reminder to *confirm your sources* before publishing. Otherwise, you end up perpetuating nonsense like this.

• Report this Comment On April 24, 2013, at 7:26 PM, cityperson wrote:

The best part of retirement is only one boss, my wife.

• Report this Comment On April 25, 2013, at 8:57 AM, kidderpeabodyny wrote:

I'm sorry, this article is extremely unprofessional for The Motley Fool. STD's don't belong here, and boredom, like bad investing should have been addressed, like running your own stock portfolios on the Motley Fool! I've got you on my Facebook likesto spread the good word, not embarrass me!

• Report this Comment On April 25, 2013, at 4:59 PM, SpartanWolverine wrote:

It would be nice if the videos were captioned/subtitled, or at the very least, a transcript posted. I have significant hearing loss and without subtitles/captions (or a transcript), videos are useless. Additionally, many of us cannot view videos from our place of work due to IT policies.

@kidderpeabodyny - I am an RN and I support the discussion of STD's when it comes to retirement, as nothing will chew through your retirement faster than medical bills. Furthermore, STD's "hit" seniors harder than the younger folks due to the increased likelihood of them having a chronic co-morbidities that can be exacerbated by an infection that is preventable. Don't be such a prude and recognize it for what it is: a reminder to practice healthy habits and behaviors or suffer in retirement, not enjoy retirement.

• Report this Comment On April 28, 2013, at 6:44 PM, akua108 wrote:

Can't they discuss more professionally about retirement? A few good points but the STD subject shouldn't have been on this video and was useless. Let's discuss preparing for Retirement;, the best of what we can get when we retire and the most helpful tips... Thank you.