Killing "Vampires" With Nothing More Than a Bow and Arrow

Forget the legends. An old-fashioned arrow to the heart is all you need to slay a vampire -- especially if said vampire sports perfect hair and a sculpted teenage body.

Arrow, the DC Comics adaptation Time Warner (NYSE: TWX  ) introduced in October, now ranks as the CW network's top rated show, beating the Twilight-inspired The Vampire Diaries. More than 3 million viewers on average tune in weekly to see Stephen Amell's avenging archer, Nielsen reports, versus 2.8 million for the bloodsuckers.

Surprised? You shouldn't be, says Tim Beyers of Motley Fool Rule Breakers and Motley Fool Supernova in the following video. AMC Networks' (NASDAQ: AMCX  ) top-rated drama The Walking Dead is inspired by a comic book of the same name, and Walt Disney (NYSE: DIS  ) is preparing to launch Iron Man 3 in the U.S  on May 3. All signs suggest that the film will be one of the summer season's biggest.

Do you enjoy Arrow? How much TV do you consume daily? Please watch this short video to get Tim's full take, and then leave a comment to let us know what you think of the show and whether you'd buy, sell, or short Time Warner stock at current prices.

For further analysis of Disney's entertainment empire, tune into our newest premium research report in which we go inside for an up-close tour of The House of Mouse and tell you what the company is really worth, and whether there's reason to add the stock for your portfolio. Access your report now by clicking here.

• Report this Comment On April 28, 2013, at 10:18 AM, lmond wrote:

"the Twilight-inspired The Vampire Diaries"

Actually The Vampire Book series started in 1991 which is many years before Twilight was written.

• Report this Comment On April 28, 2013, at 10:40 AM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

@lmond,

My mistake.

Do you think it's unfair to say that "The Vampire Diaries" wouldn't be on TV without the success of the "Twilight" films?

Thanks for writing and Foolish best,

Tim

TMFMileHigh in CAPS and on the boards

@milehighfool on Twitter

• Report this Comment On April 28, 2013, at 11:05 AM, Lancer64 wrote:

I like the show "Arrow" but am so tired of the way tool loud lousy & very annoying background music not only on this show, but on every show on network Tv. Please give us a break & turn the lousy music way down, or better yet off.

• Report this Comment On April 28, 2013, at 12:21 PM, LexyMimi wrote:

Actually, no that still didnt mean that it's "twilight inspired". The show, plot and characters are completely different from twilight other than having the same concept of vampires. Many fans are the show watch it because they are fans of the book. True, some fans might of started watching it because of their interest in twilight but keeping the viewers and turning them into fans after the pilot, is all The Vampire Diaries own success.

• Report this Comment On April 28, 2013, at 7:34 PM, littlevamp78 wrote:

AMEN LexyMimi, I am so tired of everything with a vampire in it being compared to Twilight. Considering The Vampire Diaries was way before Twilight saying Twilight inspired it is like saying Twilight inspired Dracula. It takes these writers very little time to do research and the author of this article is not the only one guilty of it I have been seeing it in articles about anything vampire and it is getting upsetting.

• Report this Comment On April 28, 2013, at 8:39 PM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

@LexyMini and @littlevamp78,

Thanks for the comments. I'm now clear that "The Vampire Diaries" came first and is materially different from the "Twilight" series.

For those joining me in the ranks of the ill-informed, here's the Amazon link to the page for author L.J. Smith:

Again, my apologies for the mix-up. I can see how the comparison comes off as a slight. I'd feel similarly were you to say the character of Arrow was inspired by Robin Hood rather than the comics character.

Having said all that, I still think it's fair to ask whether "The Vampire Diaries" gets made into a TV serial without the onscreen success of "Twilight." Do you really believe it would have been made regardless? If so, why?

Thanks for writing and Foolish best,

Tim

TMFMileHigh in CAPS and on the boards

@milehighfool on Twitter

• Report this Comment On April 29, 2013, at 2:36 AM, LexyMimi wrote:

No need to apologize and I do believe it would still be successful. There are plenty of fans that got into vampire diaries that had a spark of interest in vampires due to twilight but like I said, I think it became more and more popular because it's well written, has great actors and is a fast paced thrilling plot. Thus, the high ratings and success.

• Report this Comment On April 29, 2013, at 3:17 AM, littlevamp78 wrote:

Yes I believe it would have been made without Twilights popularity. Buffy the vampire Slayer was popular for seven years and there have been plenty of vampire shows before Twilight was ever thought of.

• Report this Comment On April 29, 2013, at 11:12 AM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

@littlevamp78,

>>Buffy the vampire Slayer was popular for seven years ...

That's a really good point. "Buffy" also spawned a popular spin-off.

Thanks again for the comments.

Foolish best,