Disney Needs to Make This Sequel

It's no mystery that Disney (NYSE: DIS  )  loves a good sequel. After all, sequels can be an exceptional way for the entertainment giant to build its existing popular brands by taking advantage of the work that's already been done to develop great characters and storylines.

Oh, and they're also ridiculously profitable
Take Disney's Iron Man films, for instance, the first of which brought in more than $585 million at the box office worldwide. Then Iron Man 2 took in nearly $624 million globally. And now, there's the still-in-theaters Iron Man 3, which itself has pulled in more than $1.2 billion in box office receipts around the world so far.

That's not to mention Iron Man's involvement in The Avengers, which grossed more than $1.5 billion worldwide and has at least two sequels in the works.

Or consider the four movies that made up Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, with a collective box office total of more than $3.7 billion. Of course, there's also the three Toy Story films and their own $1.9 billion worldwide gross, and Disney's upcoming slate is jam-packed with sequels as well, including Pixar's Planes (a follow-up to Cars and Cars 2) to be released in August, and Finding Dory slated for a 2015 launch.

And heck, while I was hoping The Lone Ranger would have what it took to become Disney's next huge franchise, it certainly doesn't look like that will happen, after the good ol' cowboy film got trounced at the box office recently by -- you guessed it -- a well-made sequel, in the form of Despicable Me 2 from Comcast's (NASDAQ: CMCSA  ) Universal Studios.

In fact, just 13 days after its theatrical release, Despicable Me 2 has already proved a huge winner for Comcast after bringing in more than $477.2 million worldwide, with a production budget of just $76 million -- and, for those of you keeping track, that's well on the way to exceeding the $543 million take the first Despicable Me achieved.

Disney could win big with this one
So what should come next, you ask?

While Disney Pixar is on its sequel kick, I know my children wouldn't be alone in appreciating a reprise of 2004's The Incredibles.

Image source: Disney.

Come to think of it, I'd thoroughly enjoy an Incredibles sequel, too. Just earlier this week, when our kiddos asked to watch the original, I found myself repeatedly sucked in to the fun flick, despite my best efforts to finish various chores around the house.

Bottom line: I think every character in The Incredibles is likable, and its storyline boasts a novelty that simply doesn't wear off as time goes on. What's more, Pixar obviously made the first movie with sequels in mind, especially considering the way the film ended, with the family readying a fight with the aptly and hilariously named villian, "The Underminer."

And when Disney's done with this sequel, I'd watch a prequel, too.

What's stopping them?
It certainly isn't a cash problem, and it's a safe bet more Incredibles movies would pay off for Disney, when we remember the first one brought in $631.4 million in global ticket sales with a production budget of just $92 million.

Alas, the hangup at this point seems to be director Brad Bird's quest for the perfect storyline. In fact, Bird had the following to say to The Hollywood Reporter in May:

I've been thinking about [Incredibles 2] because I love those characters and love that world. I am stroking my chin and scratching my head. I have many, many elements that I think would work really well in another [Incredibles] film, and if I can get 'em to click all together, I would probably want to do that.

Of course, it's been two months since that statement, and a lot can happen over a relatively short period of time, but it's safe to say we probably won't be seeing The Incredibles 2 anytime in the near future. But mark my words: Though Disney may be busy pumping out other blockbusters for now, I think this is one sequel that will happen eventually.

More expert advice from The Motley Fool
In the meantime, the future of television begins now, with an all-out $2.2 trillion media war that pits cable companies such as Cox, Comcast, and Time Warner against technology giants such as Apple, Google, and Netflix. The Motley Fool's shocking video presentation reveals the secret Steve Jobs took to his grave and explains why the only real winners are these three lesser-known power players that film your favorite shows. Click here to watch today!

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 11:02 AM, CLS4IV wrote:

THANK YOU!

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 11:05 AM, pastafooli wrote:

If Disney does make a sequel to "The Lone Ranger" I think they should let "Silver", wear the mask this time"!

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 11:07 AM, schuylervj wrote:

Personally I would like to see another Rescuers feature and a sequel to Wind in the Willows, Toad if Toad Hall since they truncated the first feature down to practically nothing and third, a sequel to The Great Mouse Detective, which already had a lady mouse in distress at the end of the original..

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 12:09 PM, wwward1948 wrote:

Another reason it hasn't been made is me. The movie was taken without permission from my autobiography, and I haven't felt like letting them use an more of my personal story without my input.

Sorry, world.

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 12:13 PM, myka1319 wrote:

When it does happen it will be the highest grossing animated film of all-time. It appeals to all age groups. The Incredibles is often forgotten as one of the best superhero films ever-made because it's animated. Looking forward to it !

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 12:21 PM, teakhawk9 wrote:

Your only mistake is saying "Pixar's Planes." It is being developed by Walt Disney Pictures &

DisneyToon Studios. Zero Pixar involvement.

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 12:30 PM, gambler099 wrote:

Two Letters: E.T.

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 12:31 PM, josh321981 wrote:

re:wwward1948 yeah right lmfao

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 1:07 PM, warhorse03826 wrote:

someone needs to make a sequel to The Last Starfighter. or how about making a Starship Troopers that is somewhere in the same ballpark as the book?

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 1:17 PM, GregPrice wrote:

Disney is laser-focused on the upcoming Star Wars projects. I don't expect to see ANYthing big come out of Disney for the forseeable future in terms of non-franchise projects (Marvel, Lucasfilm, etc).

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 2:10 PM, JEANYSANCHEZ wrote:

I love Disney and I love the Incredibles and I hope Disney make another movies!

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 2:56 PM, loucifer82676 wrote:

Come to think of it, a sequel to The Incredibles WAS made, but in video game form. In 2005, The Incredibles : Rise Of The Underminer came out for the major consoles, and handhelds.

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 3:42 PM, RobertCoplin wrote:

If any movie from Disney that deserves a sequel and that is John Carter.The reason that John Carter didn't do better was the title of the movie as it should have been John Carter and the Princess of Mars and also they didn't do a better job marketing the movie.

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 4:57 PM, mowowie wrote:

How about for once a quality remake, not a cgi action packed shallow zero plot poor character bomb.

Make a Smartly written, well cast re-make of Disney's The Black Hole.

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 5:37 PM, mowowie wrote:

Do a QUALITY for once re-make of Disney's The Black Hole.

• Report this Comment On July 31, 2013, at 1:07 PM, kmcarlock wrote:

I pledge my metal to a JOHN CARTER sequel as well. Take me back to Barsoom and to Lynn Collins, a Princess of Mars worth fighting for!