Why Apple's iPhone Event Might Be Disappointing

The unofficial word is Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL  ) will host an iPhone event on Sept. 10 to unveil the 5S handset and (perhaps) a cheaper version dubbed the iPhone 5C.

Hoped-for additions to the 5S include a faster processor and a higher-resolution camera, among other things -- exactly the sorts of meaningless upticks that might drive me, an iPhone user since the days of the 2G, to join Foolish colleague Rick Munarriz in switching to Android.

Source: Apple.

What do I want to see at Apple's iPhone event? A handheld computer that offers a smarter voice and faster wireless. Groundbreaking battery life. A crisp, wide screen for rendering video and social media feeds beautifully. In short: I want Apple to introduce a better take on the phablet, and beat Samsung at its own game.

I'm not the only one. Not long ago, Reuters reported that Apple is working on two different phablet designs for 2014. The Mac maker hasn't confirmed the report, but research says consumers love the larger format. ABI Research expects Samsung and others to sell 150 million phablets this year, rising above 200 million by 2015.

Even so, you can expect design chief Jony Ive's hand-picked team of craftsmen and women to introduce embellishments to the 5S and 5C that will thrill a portion of those attending the iPhone event. Google (NASDAQ: GOOGL  ) , meanwhile, has already thrilled former Mac evangelist and current advisor Guy Kawasaki with an advance look at the new (and yes, larger-screen) Moto X. Influential blogger Robert Scoble has also previewed the device, gushing in a recent post that the Moto X is a "game-changing" product.

At least one Fool would disagree. The point remains that while the iPhone is a great product blessed with a bounty of software, it's still a phone competing in a market that's becoming dominated by handheld computers. Your market's changed, Apple. Change with it or give us a reason to try something new.

Now it's your turn to weigh in. What do you want to see at Apple's iPhone event? Are you in the market for a new iPhone or have you switched recently? Leave a comment to let us know what you think.

Whatever September 10 brings, the trillion-dollar mobile war is still heating up in many parts of the world. To find out which tech giant is set to dominate the device decade, we've created a free report called "Who Will Win the War Between the 5 Biggest Tech Stocks?" Inside, you'll find out which companies are poised to win and why. Interested? Simply click here to get your copy of the report now -- it's free!

• Report this Comment On August 12, 2013, at 6:36 PM, GaryDMN wrote:

iPhone sales have been growing in the USA and have passed Android the last quarter or two. The USA is the most valuable market and Apple has a quarter of the number of carriers that Samsung has worldwide today, but is adding new ones every month. Many iPhone users delayed purchasing an iPhone 5, because they have so many accessories that use the "old" connector. I delayed until April, when I finally gave away all my about $500 worth of accessories, including an iHome and a larger similar Pioneer stereo with dual charging stands.

• Report this Comment On August 12, 2013, at 6:37 PM, nflx2bbi wrote:

Faster processor, longer battery life, ..., and a comfortable phone with a reliable IOS. How often do you change your phone tells how unsatisfied you are with your current one IMO. I am ready for iPhone 5s upgrade from iPhone 4S.

• Report this Comment On August 12, 2013, at 7:14 PM, marv08 wrote:

"The point remains that while the iPhone is a great product blessed with a bounty of software, it's still a phone competing in a market that's becoming dominated by handheld computers."

You do raise a few points I would agree with (e.g. better battery life), but how to build a phone with a bigger AND higher resolution screen AND capable of running all the advanced and resource-intensive apps available, without creating an un-Apple-like hunk...? As Churchill famously said: "a riddle wrapped in a conundrum inside an enigma".

I also can't see how a "phablet" solves anything. Even the, almost 8", iPad Mini does hit limitations when viewing some web sites. The difference between a 4" and a 5" phone is really not drawing the line between a "phone" and a "handheld computer", especially since the iPhone does have the most, best and highest quality apps available, which are designed for its size. And, not to be forgotten, not a single bigger phone on the market is outselling the iPhone 5... There may be people wanting a bigger iPhone, sure, but there is no indication of that being too wide-spread (personally, I preferred the iPhone 4S's size over the 5's).

Getting to your question, I would like to see at the event:

- iPhone 5S and 5C, with at least the "S" getting: better camera flash and IS, faster CPU/GPU (say iPad 4-like performance), fingerprint sensor, "global" baseband chip, improved battery life

- iCloud improvements, especially with regards to file sharing (at least at a level that iDisk offered years ago) and a mean to poke holes into sandboxing (e.g. to enable other apps to access files without mailing them to myself on the same device, which is crap)

- improved iWork apps (for OS X and iOS)

- (very minor wish, but it really drives me nuts) Lightning equipped iPhone and iPad docks (third party ones are dead ugly, and I hate to have all devices lying around on the table)

- iOS 7, if possible with support for multiple user accounts (at least on the iPad), eventually tied to a fingerprint sensor in the iPad 5

- more details on new enterprise features and APIs (they showed some buzzwords during WWDC, but need more info)

- improved Passbook (payment solution?)

- iTunes Match improvements (e.g. being able to "mix" local syncing and "Match", no need to waste internet bandwidth, if the file is available on the local network)

I would certainly like some iPad-related stuff as well, but I assume there will be a separate event in October.

• Report this Comment On August 12, 2013, at 7:50 PM, vantan wrote:

Use Intel cpu and Mac OS to combine phone with Mac Mini pc. Include Chromecast like dongle to easily view video & hear audio on home theater system. Big - little approach (MAC OS for big, IOS for little).

• Report this Comment On August 12, 2013, at 8:17 PM, cazic99 wrote:

Do you think BMW or Mercedes care about how many more low margin, cheap cars Hyundai sells to emerging markets? No different here. Apple does not care about Market share but profits, as any successful business should. Even if they come with a lower price handset for China, you can be sure it will be higher Margin than All Samsung/Android phones.

There is nothing wrong with switching from Apple to Android, you are free to do what you want. Just as there is nothing wrong to claim your Hyundai drives as good as my BMW but we all know it is not true.

There is a reason why most internet traffic and E-commerce are done on IOS. That is most people who buy Apple actually know and use them and they actually have money to buy things with them.

And most people in China or India with Android phones right now, if price were not a factor, they would chose IOS over Android. Period.

Argue blue to the face all you want, those are the facts. Sure there are Android die hards , but a few die hards will not come close to monetizing Android like IOS.

• Report this Comment On August 12, 2013, at 8:18 PM, cazic99 wrote:

Guy Kawasaki just goes to where he gets paid more.

• Report this Comment On August 12, 2013, at 8:38 PM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

@velvetbulldozer,

Just checked your history. Long record of ugly comments that offer no additional analysis. Surely you have more to offer, right?

Thanks for being here, looking forward to seeing your first contribution.

Foolish best,

Tim

TMFMileHigh in CAPS and on the boards

@milehighfool on Twitter

• Report this Comment On August 12, 2013, at 8:42 PM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

@marv08,

>>I also can't see how a "phablet" solves anything.

Thanks for writing.

I can only speak for myself, but I've come to love the feel and screen space of a 4.7 to 5-inch phone. Also, I find the Google Now integration in Moto X fascinating ... highly useful, I think, if you're a regular user of Google apps. (Which I am.)

FWIW and Foolish best,

Tim

TMFMileHigh in CAPS and on the boards

@milehighfool on Twitter

• Report this Comment On August 12, 2013, at 8:55 PM, cazic99 wrote:

Phablets are not for everybody, it's a niche product.

• Report this Comment On August 13, 2013, at 12:19 AM, Minimanv wrote:

I just blogged similar about my great phone debate

• Report this Comment On August 13, 2013, at 2:48 AM, OldenAtwoody wrote:

Everyone is saying, "Blah blah blah, BUT..."

Bottom-line: Apple simply works. Even your Grandmother can operate it.

Everything is is just geek-babble.