Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Why Qurate Retail Stock Was Climbing Today

By Jeremy Bowman - Updated May 10, 2021 at 9:51AM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

Shares of the online retailer gained on a strong earnings report.

What happened

Shares of Qurate Retail Group (QRTEA 5.67%) jumped today after the parent of QVC, HSN, and Zulily posted better-than-expected results in its first-quarter earnings report, beating expectations on the top and bottom lines.

Qurate's stock finished the day up 15.9%.

A person shopping on their smartphone.

Image source: Getty Images.

So what

Revenue in the quarter was up 14% to $3.34 billion, beating estimates of $3.14 billion, and growth was solid across its business lines with QxH -- the combination of QVC US and HSN -- up 8% to $1.94 billion. QVC International revenue was up 22% to $774 million; Zulily revenue rose 19% to $377 million; and Cornerstone sales jumped 41% to $250 million.

E-commerce revenue was up 19% to $2.1 billion, a reflection of the company's progress in its transition from TV-based shopping to online. 

Profitability also ramped up as adjusted OIBDA increased 35% to $517 million, and adjusted earnings per share jumped from $0.27 to $0.48, topping the analyst consensus of $0.33.

CEO Mike George said:

We generated outstanding results across all our businesses and markets. Our performance demonstrates the competitive advantage of our business model. We operate at the inflection point of accelerated online shopping, wide adoption of video streaming, and growing consumer engagement on digital platforms. 

Now what

Qurate did not provide guidance in the earnings report, but the company is clearly building momentum in its pivot to digital commerce, which includes new channels like streaming and social commerce. 

The company will face tougher comparisons as traffic at brick-and-mortar stores begins to bounce back, but shares look dirt cheap right now, trading at a price-to-earnings ratio of just 4.3 based on its last four quarters.

Jeremy Bowman has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Stocks Mentioned

Qurate Retail, Inc. Stock Quote
Qurate Retail, Inc.
QRTEA
$3.73 (5.67%) $0.20

*Average returns of all recommendations since inception. Cost basis and return based on previous market day close.

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning analyst team.

Stock Advisor Returns
373%
 
S&P 500 Returns
122%

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 08/10/2022.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with The Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool's premium services.