This is the Privacy and Cookies Policy for The Motley Fool, LLC website ("we","us" and "our site"). We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This Policy and any other documents referred to in it explain:
• Information we collect about you
• Legal bases for processing your information
• How we use your information
• Our promotional updates and communications
• Where we store your information
• How long we keep your information
• Cookies and other technologies
• Who we give your information to
• How we protect your information
• Changing your information or closing your account
• Child safety
• European Union residents
• Changes to this policy
• Your rights
• Contact us
In Summary: This Privacy Statement applies to the operations of The Motley Fool, LLC, which serves users in the United States of America, and by using the sites and providing us with personal data you are consenting to our processing data in the United States and under its laws. Data handling practices and rules may differ from country to country. Each Motley Fool entity (e.g., The Motley Fool Limited, which operates fool.co.uk in the United Kingdom) may have different policies, which will apply to (and be stated on) its sites.
If you are a resident of the European Union and wish to use our site, you can find information on the data policies of fool.com that pertain to you in this document.
While we do our best to protect your personal information, The Motley Fool cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. What does all of this mean? Just as in the investing world, you must protect yourself. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any password and/or account information. Please be careful and responsible whenever you are online, especially when using a computer that other people can use also.
Many of our advertisers or partners, such as brokerages, merchants, or data providers, link from our site to areas on their own sites where they sell their own products and services. If you follow links from our site to others, you should be aware that you are doing business with those other sites, which have their own privacy and data collection practices. The Motley Fool has no responsibility or liability for these independent policies (and we may not even know what they are). For more information regarding a site and its privacy policies, check that site.
1. The Information we collect about you
We will collect and process the following personal data from you:
1.1 Information you give us
This is information about you that you give us directly when you interact with us.
- Signing Up for Content Delivered via Email: When you sign up for a report or other content delivered by email, we will ask for your email address. We may also ask for your name as well as capture your IP address.
- Subscribing to a Service: When subscribing to any of our newsletter or portfolio services, or purchasing a special report, we need to know the sort of information typically used for credit card transactions, such as your name, address, telephone number, and credit card number and expiration date. We encrypt all of this information using Transport Layer Security (TLS), the replacement for the deprecated Secure Socket Layers (SSL) technology.
- Stock Information: If you enter stocks into a tracking system, or if you rate stocks on our CAPS platform, we will save that information and use it to identify content that we think is relevant to you. We will also use that information in the aggregate to help us better understand what our community and our premium members are interested in, so we can create and target our content better.
- Other Services: We may also ask for additional information when providing other services. If you don’t want to give us the information requested, you certainly don’t have to, but you will not be able to take advantage of such offerings. For example, if we launch a text alert feature, we wouldn’t be able to send you any alerts unless you provide us with your mobile number. Or, you will be unable to track your personal stock portfolio on our site unless you input the stocks you own, and you may not be able to gain access to certain areas of our site unless you register and/or subscribe. On occasion, we may also ask you for other personal information in connection with surveys, contests or other promotional offers running on our site, but again, your participation in these features is purely voluntary.
- Information About Others: If you use our recommendation service to email one of our articles to a friend, you will need to provide us with your friend's email address and your email address as a return address. We will automatically send this person a one-time email, with the recommended article attached, as well as invite your friend to visit and register with our site. We will not use these email addresses for any other purpose.
1.2 Information we collect about you from using our site:
- While on our site, we automatically log certain information about how you’re using our site. This information may include the URL that you just came from, your IP address (or a partially anonymized IP address) and the pages you visit while on our site.
- We may place a pixel on pages on our site, or those of our advertisers and partners. This enables us to record in our server logs that a specific user id has visited a particular page. This data allows us to analyze and determine our audience’s behavioral characteristics, which helps us to optimize our site, advertisement placement, and marketing focus.
1.3 Information we receive from other sources:
We allow our partners to collect certain information when you visit our site. They may utilize cookies, pixels, beacons, Google AMP Client IDs, or other technologies to collect and use information about you during your visit to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements they feel you would like. We have also engaged third-party companies to process information about our users on our behalf, to help us improve our sites and find new members. These companies will combine our data about how you visit our websites with information that they have collected from outside our sites and provide it to us (and only us) so that we can optimize your experience on fool.com across devices and based on your interests.
To learn more about this behavioral advertising, including information on how to opt-out, please
(a) visit the DAA opt-out program, the Evidon opt-out program, and the Google Analytics opt-out program to learn how to opt out of having your information collected in browsers for ad serving purposes;
(b) download the Evidon Ad Control application, available for iOS and Android, to learn how to opt out of having your information collected in mobile apps; and
(c) visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s opt out page.
2. The legal bases we rely on:
We can collect and process your data with your consent.
For example, if you have given your consent to receiving marketing material from us at the point we collected your information.
2.2 Contractual Obligations
We need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations.
2.3 Legal Compliance
If the law requires us to, we may need to collect and process your data.
2.4 Legitimate interest
We may require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way which might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests.
3. How we use your information
We will use this information in our legitimate interests, where we have considered these are not overridden by your rights:
To administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes.
To keep our site safe and secure.
For measuring or understanding the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you.
To keep you informed about products and services similar to the ones you subscribe to.
To improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
Internal research: Cookies (which are discussed further below) and the other information we automatically track are used to help us better understand how our audience uses our site as well as for internal research on users’ demographics and interests.
4. Our promotional updates and communications
Where permitted by one of the legal bases above, we will use your personal information for marketing analysis and to provide you with promotional update communications by email about our products/services and those of our business partners.
You can object to further marketing at any time by: (i) checking and updating your contact details within your account page (https://www.fool.com/account/); (ii) selecting the "unsubscribe" link at the end of all our marketing and promotional update communications to you; or (iii) sending us an email to USGDPRDelete@fool.com.
Please note: If you purchase products or services from us, or if you register for an account with us, we may contact you to confirm your purchase, subscription, or registration, or to provide you with information about its terms or features. You may wish to keep these transactional or relationship emails, to help you use our products and services.
5. How long we keep your information
We retain personal data for as long as necessary to fulfill any legal obligations we may have as well as for purposes of processing your information (for example, if you continue to subscribe to one of our services, we will need your information to deliver the service to you). We may also retain aggregate information beyond this time for research purposes and to help us develop and improve our services. You cannot be identified from aggregate information retained or used for these purposes.
6. Cookies and other technologies
Cookies contain bits of data that websites such as ours place on your computer’s hard drive for record keeping purposes. Cookies can make the web more useful by collecting and storing information about your preferences on a particular site and help websites operate more efficiently. Cookies and similar technologies enable you to be remembered when using that computer or device to interact with websites and online services and can be used to manage a range of features and content as well as storing searches and presenting personalized content.
We use our cookies:
In addition to the cookies set directly by our partners, there are also cookies set by third parties to help deliver and monitor their ads. Please note we neither control nor have access to those cookies, and these advertisers’ uses of cookies are subject to their own privacy policies and not that of The Motley Fool.
8. Cookie Removal and More Information
You can always modify your browser so as not to accept cookies or to notify you when cookies are sent to it. For more information about cookies including removing any or all of your cookies, please visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
Also, if you would like to remove the Google Analytics and DoubleClick cookies, please go to http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout and http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/plugin/ , respectively. You should be aware that this will affect your Google cookies on all sites, and not just ours.
9. Information Sharing and Disclosure
We do not give, rent, lend or sell individual information to any third party. Furthermore, we will not disclose any information about individual users, except as described below.
We are committed to protecting your personal information. All information that you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Access to paid-for areas of the site, such as our newsletter services is password-protected for your privacy and security. While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. What does all this mean? Just as in the investing world, you must protect yourself. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your passwords and/or any account information. If you need to change your password, please follow the steps outlined below.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to external sites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of such sites.
10. Changing Your Information or Closing Your Account
11. Users Aged 13 or Under
Protecting the safety of children when they use the internet is important to us.
The site is intended for use only by persons who are at least 13 years of age. By using this site, you confirm to us that you meet this requirement. If you are aged 13 or under, please get your parent/guardian’s permission beforehand whenever you provide personal information to our website. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
If you are under the age of 13 your parent or guardian must consent on your behalf where we ask for consent in relation to the use of your information.
12. Changes to this Privacy and Cookie Statement
We may amend this Privacy and Cookie Statement from time to time. If we make any substantive changes to this policy, we’ll announce it on our site and notify you by email.
13. European Users
For the purposes of European Economic Area data protection law, (the "Data Protection Law"), the data controller is: The Motley Fool, LLC, 2000 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22314, USA (USGDPRInfo@fool.com).
Below you’ll find the types of cookies that we set when you visit Fool.com and their purpose. To help you better understand why we’re setting them, we’ve used the categories and definitions set by the International Chamber of Commerce (“ICC”):
If you have any questions about the cookies we set, please contact our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
13.2 Data Storage
The data that we collect from you is transferred to, and may be stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA") that is not subject to equivalent Data Protection Law. For our purposes, the information we collect is processed and stored in the US.
We may transfer your personal information outside the EEA:
13.3 European site users have certain rights under certain circumstances:
13.4 Your right to withdraw consent:
Where the processing of your personal information by us is based on consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent without detriment at any time by contacting us at CS@fool.com You can also change your marketing preferences at any time as described in 'our promotional updates and communications' section.
You can also exercise the rights listed above at any time by contacting us at USGDPRInfo@fool.com
If your request or concern is not satisfactorily resolved by us, you may approach your local data protection authority, (see http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/bodies/authorities/index_en.html).
Data Protection Officer
The Motley Fool, LLC
2000 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Last Updated: February 5th, 2019