Updated February 15th, 2018
The BankAmericard® Credit Card is perhaps best for indebted cardholders who want to pay down their debt faster. The card includes a wallet-friendly, competitive APR and a 0% intro APR offer. These are a few reasons why we think it’s one of the best balance-transfer credit cards. With the basics aside, let’s dive deeper to understand whether BankAmericard® Credit Card is a good fit for your needs.
- 0% intro APR offer
- $0 annual fee
- $0 intro balance transfer fee for balance transfers made within 60 days (3%, $10 min. thereafter)
- FICO® Score for free
- No rewards
Intro: 0%, 15 billing cycles
Reg: 13.24% - 23.24%, variable
|Balance Transfer APR||
Intro: 0%, 15 billing cycles for balance transfers made in the first 60 days
Reg: 13.24% - 23.24%, variable
- 0% Intro APR for 15 billing cycles for purchases, and for any balance transfers made in the first 60 days, then 13.24% - 23.24% Variable APR
- $0 Intro balance transfer fee during first 60 days of account opening. After that, the fee for future balance transfers is 3% (min. $10).
- No annual fee
- No penalty APR. Paying late won't automatically raise your interest rate (APR). Other account pricing and terms apply.
- Access your FICO® Score for free within Online Banking or your Mobile Banking app
What we like about BankAmericard® credit card
- 0% intro APR for 15 billing cycles - Purchases and balance transfers won't incur interest during the promo period. Just be sure to keep an eye on the calendar as the 0% intro APR only applies for balance transfers made within the first 60 days of account opening.
- $0 annual
fee - The card is clearly meant for cardholders who
carry balances and incur interest charges or for people wanting to make a large purchase and avoid interest charges. We think no annual fee
is a must-have perk for such cardholders.
- $0 intro balance transfer fee - Cutting fees amps up the value of this card and balance transfers made within 60 days of account opening aren't charged a transfer fee. After that, standard transaction fees apply.
- FICO® Score for free - Cardholders carrying this card are also likely interested in improving their credit scores. Bank Of America rightly provides cardholders with a FICO® Score for free each month.
What could be improved for BankAmericard® Credit Card
- Rewards – Many competing balance-transfer cards with low transfer fees don't include rewards on spending and this card is no exception.
How to best use BankAmericard® Credit Card
- Transfer high-interest credit card debt within 60 days to better tackle debt balances. Balance transfer strategies can be powerful. For example, cardholders could pay off debt 12 months faster and save $2,987 in interest charges on a $10,000 balance transferred to a card with a 0% intro APR spanning 15 billing cycles. The math goes as follows: It takes 37 monthly payments of $300 to wipe out a $10,000 balance, assuming an 18% APR after the promo period. Interest charges tally to just $980 over that three-year span. It takes 47 monthly payments of $300 to tackle the same balance that immediately incurs interest at an 18% APR. Interest charges total $3,967 in this scenario! Of course, the credit limit and APR cardholders receive upon potential approval may vary, but this example highlights how avoiding interest on balance transfers can save thousands in interest charges.
- Leverage access to your FICO® Score. Bank of America provides you with access to your FICO® Score for free, and this perk is a huge value! In fact, myFICO charges upwards of $350 per year to receive, track, and monitor your comprehensive credit history.
If wanting a longer 0% intro APR
Discover it® - 18 Month Balance Transfer Offer may be better suited to cardholders who need longer than 15 months to pay off debt balances. The card includes a long 0% intro APR for 18 months for balance transfers and six months for purchases. What's more, the card includes one of the best cash back rewards programs we know of where cardholders earn 5% cash back (capped at $1,500 of spending) in rotating categories you activate, plus Discover matches all the cash back earned in the first year. These perks, alone, are among the best in each category and you get all of them in one card. Read our full Discover it® - 18 Month Balance Transfer Offer review to learn more.