Updated April 5th, 2018.
Barclaycard Ring™ Mastercard® is as simple as it gets, designed for cardholders who frequently carry balances, as its main perks are its low variable APR. This explains why we consider it to be one of the best low interest rate credit cards. Worth noting, Barclaycard Ring™ Mastercard® doesn’t offer any rewards or fancy promotions. Instead, cardholders are empowered with the ability to vote on how a portion of the card’s profits are used to support important causes and not-for-profits.
- Low APR
- $0 annual fee
- No balance transfer fee
- Free FICO® score
- No 0% intro APR
- No rewards
Reg: 10.49%, variable
|Balance Transfer APR||
Reg: 10.49%, variable
- A low, variable APR on purchases, balance transfers and cash advances
- No annual fee
- No balance transfer fees
- No foreign transaction fees
- Chip technology, so paying for your purchases is more secure at chip-card terminals in the U.S. and abroad
- Free online access to FICO® Credit Score
What we like about Barclaycard Ring™ Mastercard®
- Low APR - The Barclaycard Ring™ Mastercard® offers one of the lowest APR's we know of among major credit card issuers. Of course, if you pay off your card in full, the APR doesn’t matter. Most credit cards determine your APR within a specified, wide range, but Barclaycard Ring™ Mastercard® offers a single flat rate for all cardholders that many will not qualify for with other credit cards.
- $0 annual fee - The Barclaycard Ring™ Mastercard® doesn’t obscure the true cost of the card with an annual fee, which means that the stated APR is the true price of keeping the card and carrying a balance.
- $0 balance-transfer fee - The Barclaycard Ring™ Mastercard® doesn’t charge a fee for transferring balances, which gives cardholders the ability to roll higher-cost debt onto this low APR card at any time.
What could be improved about Barclaycard Ring™ Mastercard®
- 0% intro APR offer - Given the cards $0 balance transfer fee, we'd find the card more versatile if it offered a 0% intro APR for balance transfers. This would increase the value for cardholders carrying debt and wanting to avoid interest charges.
- Rewards - The Barclaycard Ring™ Mastercard® doesn’t earn rewards. Instead, it relies on its cardholders to help it distribute some of the card’s profits to causes and charities selected by cardholder vote. Charitable card users who prefer more control may prefer to simply open a different rewards card and donate the rewards to their favorite charities and causes.
How to best use Barclaycard Ring™ Mastercard®
- This card is best for cardholders who can benefit from the low APR to pay off debt faster. Many debt consolidation options carry a higher interest rate. This cards low APR makes it a compelling option for cardholders with large debt balances aren't able to pay off balances during the promo periods offered for traditional balance-transfer credit cards with a 0% intro APR.
- Leverage free access to your FICO® Score. Barclaycard Ring™ Mastercard® provides you with a free FICO® Score and we think this is a huge value! In fact, myFICO charges more than $350 per year to receive, track, and monitor your comprehensive credit history.
- Before applying, consider your credit score. The card requires excellent credit for approval which generally means a FICO® credit score in the low 700's and higher.
Earn 1.5% cash back and a 0% intro APR
Chase Freedom Unlimited® cardholders can expect a 0% intro APR on new purchases for 15 months, in addition to earning 1.5% cash back and a $150 sign-up bonus, both of which Barclaycard Ring™ Mastercard® doesn't include. Chase Freedom Unlimited® cardholders can qualify for the bonus after spending at least $500 on new purchases in the first three months from account opening. Read our full Chase Freedom Unlimited® review to learn why we picked it as one of the best cash-back credit cards.
If wanting a longer 0% intro APR
Discover it® Balance Transfer may be better suited to cardholders who need a 0% intro APR for 18 months for balance transfers. What's more, the card includes one of the best cash back rewards programs we know of where cardholders earn 5% cash back (capped at $1,500 of spending) in rotating categories you activate, plus Discover matches all the cash back earned in the first year. These perks, alone, are among the best in each category and you get all of them in one card. Read our full Discover it® Balance Transfer review to learn more.
Barclaycard Ring™ Mastercard® is simply designed for the cardholder who tends to keep a balance from month to month and doesn't want to incur interest charges at a high rate. It's rare for a credit card to offer an interest rate that matches or beats other debt consolidation options like a personal loan and the low APR is where the real value is for this card.