- 50,000 miles sign-up bonus
- 2x miles per $1
- Partial statement credit redemptions
- No foreign transaction fees
- Annual fee
|Bonus Offer||50,000 Miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening|
|Annual Fee||$0 intro for first year; $95 after that|
Reg: 13.99% - 23.99% (Variable)
|Balance Transfer APR||
Reg: 13.99% - 23.99% (Variable)
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn unlimited 2X miles per dollar on every purchase, every day
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime
- Travel when you want with no blackout dates
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that
- Get a metal Venture Card when you apply today
Updated October 17th, 2017.
Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card stands out among the travel
credit card pack with one of the highest base travel rewards rates we know of, equal to 2%, when redeemed for travel statement credits. The card is, perhaps, best for travelers who want flexible travel
rewards and who spend enough to justify the annual fee. Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card
matches well with our high-quality, no-fuss credit card philosophy, which is
why we rate it as one of the best travel
What we like about Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card
- 50,000 miles sign-up bonus – Qualifying new cardholders earn 50,000 bonus miles - equal to $500 worth of travel-related statement credits - when spending at least $3,000 on purchases within three months of account opening.
- Unlimited 2x miles per $1 – The card has one of the highest base travel rewards rates for all purchases of the cards we cover, equivalent to a 2% yield when miles are redeemed for travel-related purchases. Miles are also unlimited.
- Statement credit redemptions – Redeeming miles for statement credits is a busy traveler’s best friend, not to mention a potential money-saver for individuals scouring the internet for rock-bottom travel deals. Cardholders aren’t tied to the card issuer’s travel portal. You can book travel through Capital One’s portal or book your travel elsewhere and apply miles for a statement credit later.
- Partial statement credits – Miles can be redeemed for partial statement credits in increments that start at 2,500 miles, or $25. This is a feature some competing cards don't offer.
- No foreign transaction fee – Pesky foreign transaction fees can quickly add up when whipping out credit cards for purchases abroad. Besides, we’re all a bit looser with our wallets while on vacation. Fortunately, the card nixes the typical 3% foreign transaction fee many card issuers charge. That’s a savings of $60 on $2,000 worth of international spending!
What could be improved for Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card
conversion rate – Miles redeemed for cash will be penalized with a low
conversion value of $0.005 cents per mile, equivalent to 1% cash back, and half the value of travel redemptions. This
low rate isn’t necessarily a knock on the card: cash redemptions tend to be low for most travel cards. We
simply prefer more generous, flexible redemption options across the board, and
it’s worth highlighting why choosing the right credit card for your needs is
crucial. Read about our picks of the best cash-back credit cards for a few suggestions if cash back is your main priority.
How to best use Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card
- Travel rewards cardholders will generally be better off paying balances by the due date each month to avoid interest charges. It’s a losing strategy to rack up debt for the sake of earning rewards at single-digit rates only to watch as they get eaten up by far higher double-digit interest charges.
- Spend at least $3,000 in the first three months to qualify for the travel bonus valued at $400. Note, Capital One starts your three-month countdown timer upon application approval, not when you receive or activate your card.
- Cardholders will need to spend at least $4,750 (95 ÷ 0.02) annually to break even on travel rewards after paying a $95 annual fee (waived the first year). Cardholders lose money to annual fees when spending less than $4,750 each year, so run your personal budget numbers to uncover what makes financial sense for you. But do keep in mind that this breakeven analysis doesn't account for the sign-up bonus or the fact that the annual fee is waived the first year, both of which, make the card much more enticing.
A bonus worth up to $625Chase Sapphire Preferred® is commonly matched against Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card since both are best-in-class travel cards, but for different reasons. The main difference comes down to the bonus and ongoing rewards. Chase Sapphire Preferred® rewards are earned as points that are used to purchase travel through Chase's booking portal, or redeemed for cash back. Points are worth 25% more in the former instance, making the 50,000 sign-up bonus earned after spending $4,000 within three months worth $625 for travel. Capital One® Venture® Rewards' miles are simply redeemed for statement credits. Travel credit card enthusiasts fall into both camps of points versus statement credits and it's worth considering which card fits your needs. Read our full Chase Sapphire Preferred® review to learn more.
Claim a sign-up bonus worth $400Qualifying new Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite MasterCard® cardholders earn a $400 new cardholder bonus when spending at least $3,000 on purchases within the first 90 days from account opening. The key difference from Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card is that Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite MasterCard® earns 5% bonus miles when redeemed, on top of 2x miles per $1. Bonus miles can be applied for subsequent travel redemptions, giving Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite MasterCard® a slightly higher, all-in travel rewards rate. However, the card also carries a slightly lower $89 annual fee (waived the first year). Read our full BarclaycardArrival Plus® World Elite MasterCard® review to learn why we picked it as one of the best travel credit card sign-up bonuses.
Final takeCapital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card is a great credit card for the typical card user who values no-hassles rewards over hacking travel miles to stretch their value. We believe credit card simplicity for the masses trumps the time required for travel hacking, which is one reason we rank this credit card so highly.
You would think for every great feature there must be a trade-off. That isn’t necessarily the case with Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card. Notably, card issuers generally sneak in fees when offering the best benefits, but Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card has a lower-than-average annual fee and high rewards, compared to competing travel cards.