Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Why Opera Stock Crashed Today

By Anders Bylund – Aug 20, 2020 at 1:55PM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

The company paired a mixed earnings report with a strange-looking business launch.

What happened

Shares of Opera (OPRA 0.98%) sang a sad tune on Thursday, falling as much as 23.6% after a mixed earnings report. The Norway-based company behind the eponymous web browser software and online news services also merged its microfinancing services with fintech specialist Mobimagic, creating a new service named Nanobank.

So what

Opera's sales dropped 10.2% year over year to $55.4 million. Adjusted earnings rose from $0.05 to $0.17 per American depositary share. Your average Wall Street analyst had been expecting earnings near $0.01 per ADS on revenue in the neighborhood of $61 million.

The Nanobank platform will serve roughly 50 million users at launch, combining the user bases of Opera's and Mobimagic's microlending services into a single unit. Opera owns 42% of this business while privately held Mobimagic controls the remaining 58%.

A businessman bends over to watch a red charting arrow crashing down at his feet.

Image source: Getty Images.

Now what

The soft top-line result in the second quarter certainly played a part in Opera's falling stock price today, but investors were also underwhelmed by the structure of the Nanobank deal. Microlending was Opera's fastest-growing business unit in this report: The volume of disbursed loans rose 82% from June to July. Giving another company majority ownership of this promising growth engine was not a popular decision. Mobimagic also happens to be owned and controlled by Opera Chairman and co-CEO Yahui Zhou. The whole self-dealing arrangement should raise a lot of eyebrows.

That being said, Opera reported strong growth in every business unit in the second quarter as measured by user counts and loan volumes. The monetization of these growing user groups is recovering slowly from a steep drop in the first quarter. A return to normal ad sales after the COVID-19 health crisis blows over should unlock plenty of shareholder value.

Anders Bylund has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Stocks Mentioned

Opera Ltd Stock Quote
Opera Ltd
OPRA
$5.15 (0.98%) $0.05

*Average returns of all recommendations since inception. Cost basis and return based on previous market day close.

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning analyst team.

Stock Advisor Returns
351%
 
S&P 500 Returns
115%

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 11/29/2022.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with The Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool's premium services.