Published in: Credit Cards | Jan. 23, 2019
A Complete Guide to Discover Credit Card Benefits
Great benefits are one of Discover’s big advantages -- here’s your guide to the benefits that come with your Discover credit card.Image credit: Getty Images
In recent years, Discover credit cards have surged in popularity, largely due to the benefits that come with the cards. Not only do all Discover credit cards have no annual fee, no overlimit fees, and no foreign transaction fees, but they offer some of the best rewards and other cardmember benefits. Here’s a guide to the benefits you can expect from your Discover credit card.
Benefits that apply to all Discover credit cards
- As I mentioned already, all Discover credit cards don’t charge annual fees, nor do they have overlimit fees.
- Discover cards aren’t as widely accepted abroad as some of their competitors, but international acceptance is on the rise and Discover charges no foreign transaction fees.
- Discover cardholders get their FICO® Score for free as well as other important credit information.
- Discover’s Freeze it® feature allows cardholders to turn their account on or off almost instantly in order to prevent fraudulent or unauthorized purchases.
- In addition, Discover offers “Social Security number alerts.” In a nutshell, if you activate this feature and Discover notices your SSN on a risky website or noticed any new accounts opened in your name, they’ll let you know.
- $0 fraud liability. Discover cardholders aren’t financially responsible for unauthorized purchases.
- If your Discover card is lost or stolen, the company will ship you another one overnight for free.
- At certain retailers, you can use your Discover card to get cash back when making a purchase, similar to what you may be used to doing with a debit card. Discover will charge your regular purchase interest rate for this, not a higher cash advance APR.
- Discover has U.S.-based customer service. And unlike many other credit card issuers, Discover commits to not try to sell you other products when you call their customer service department.
- All Discover cards earn double rewards in the first year, which doubles the cash back you earn during your first year of membership.
Benefits Discover cards don’t have
In the interest of helping you pick the best credit card for you, it’s important to point out that there are some popular credit card benefits you won’t get with a Discover card.
This is especially true when it comes to travel benefits. Specifically, Discover’s travel benefits were eliminated in early 2018, including auto rental insurance and flight accident insurance. So, if you’re planning on doing a lot of traveling, you might be better off with one of our other favorite travel credit cards.
In addition, Discover also recently eliminated some benefits that are favorites among shoppers, such as purchase protection, return protection, and extended warranty benefits. To be fair, several other card issuers cut these types of benefits recently as well, but there are many that still offer them.
The bottom line on Discover credit card benefits
To be clear, there certainly are credit cards with more benefits than Discover. And if travel- or purchase-related benefits are at the top of your priority list, a Discover card may not be the right credit card product for you.
Having said that, Discover does have some excellent reward programs with unique features, such as the doubling of your cash back or miles during the first year. Plus, some of Discover’s other perks are valuable, such as access to 100% U.S. based customer service and the lack of foreign transaction fees. The bottom line is that if you’re looking for a solid rewards credit card with no annual fee, and aren’t really concerned with travel and purchase benefits, a Discover credit card could be just what you’re looking for.
Our #1 cash back pick has a surprise bonus
This may be the perfect cash back card! That's because it packs in $1,148 of value. Cardholders can earn up to 5% cash back, double rewards in the first year, and avoid interest well into 2020. With such a deep bench of perks you'll wonder how this card packs in a $0 annual fee. Best yet, you can apply and get a decision in two minutes. Learn more with our in-depth review.