Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Didn't Get a PPP Loan? You Still Have a Couple of Days to Act

By Maurie Backman – Aug 6, 2020 at 6:18AM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

Don't miss the chance to apply for what could end up being a forgivable loan.

Countless small businesses have taken a major hit in the course of the COVID-19 outbreak. In April, the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) was made available to businesses with up to 500 employees and allowed for forgivable loans worth up to 2 1/2 times a company's monthly payroll costs.

More than 5 million loans have already been given out under the PPP, and it's reportedly saved millions of jobs. But if you've yet to apply for a PPP loan, now's the time to get moving. The deadline to submit an application is August 8, and once it expires, you may no longer be eligible for that relief.

Smiling man wearing apron standing in doorway holding sign that says open

Image source: Getty Images.

Why it pays to get a PPP loan

PPP loans are fully forgivable provided that 60% of your loan proceeds are used to cover payroll costs. The remaining 40% can then be used to cover rent or other qualifying expenses. But even if you don't qualify to get your loan forgiven (say you no longer have hefty payroll costs), it could still make sense to apply for one.

PPP loans that were issued before June 5 have a two-year maturity, but those issued after June 5 can be paid off in five years. Meanwhile, PPP loans are subject to a 1% interest rate -- and you really can't borrow more affordably than that.

Will there be a second round of PPP loans?

Lawmakers are working on a second COVID-19 relief package to follow March's CARES Act, and one thing they're focusing on is additional small business relief. In fact, Republican lawmakers introduced their version of a relief bill -- the HEALS Act -- in late July, and it specifically states that businesses will be allowed to apply for a second PPP loan.

That said, only the hardest-hit businesses -- those with a revenue decline of 50% or more -- will be eligible for a second PPP loan under the HEALS Act. And that second loan will only be available to businesses with 300 or fewer employees.

If your business has more than 300 employees, make sure to get your PPP loan application in by August 8, because you may not be eligible to apply under the second round. Furthermore, if your business hasn't suffered a major reduction in revenue, you'll want to get in on that first round of PPP funding, as it comes with fewer restrictions.

Specifically, the only thing you'll need to certify to is that you need the loan on the basis of economic uncertainty. And that's a valid claim for a lot of businesses right now, as many states struggle to contain the COVID-19 outbreak and our economy grapples with a brutal recession.

Meanwhile, businesses that already received their PPP loans may soon be able to apply for forgiveness. There's also talk of the Small Business Administration automatically forgiving loans that fall below a certain threshold, so business owners with existing PPP loans should be on alert for further information.

The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning analyst team.

Stock Advisor Returns
356%
 
S&P 500 Returns
118%

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 11/27/2022.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with The Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool's premium services.