Earnings were $34 million vs. $38.6 million for the same quarter a year ago, according to MarketWatch. Net sales were $568.9 million vs. $524 million, though analysts expected sales of $579.6 million for the period.
Urban Outfitters' stores include the Anthropologie and Free People retail storefronts. Net sales at Anthropologie fell 2% while Free People's rose the same amount, and Urban Outfitters sales rose 6%.
Business section: Investing ideas
The retail industry is still seeing the positive results from increased consumer spending earlier this year. Several factors, including increased unemployment and market rallies freed up cash for consumers to spend, and retailers reaped the reward. The unusually warm weather didn't hurt either.
Below is a list of retail stocks that are reporting earnings this week. Do you think they will follow Urban Outfitters' lead?
List sorted by market cap. (Click here to access free, interactive tools to analyze these ideas.)
2. Ralph Lauren: Engages in the design, marketing, and distribution of lifestyle products. Market cap at $13.07B, most recent closing price at $141.51. Earnings to be announced on 05/22.
3. Best Buy
5. PVH: Designs and markets branded dress shirts, neckwear, sportswear, footwear, and other related products worldwide. Market cap at $5.12B, most recent closing price at $72.71. Earnings to be announced on 05/23.
6. American Eagle Outfitters: Operates as an apparel and accessories retailer in the United States and Canada. Market cap at $3.6B, most recent closing price at $18.40. Earnings to be announced on 05/23.
7. DSW: Operates as a specialty branded footwear retailer in the U. Market cap at $2.41B, most recent closing price at $54.95. Earnings to be announced on 05/22.
8. Big Lots
9. Guess: Engages in the design, marketing, distribution, and licensing of apparel and accessories for men, women, and children. Market cap at $2.2B, most recent closing price at $24.51. Earnings to be announced on 05/22.
10. Express: Operates specialty retail stores in the United States. Market cap at $2.02B, most recent closing price at $22.55. Earnings to be announced on 05/22.
Interactive Chart: Press Play to compare changes in analyst ratings over the last two years for the stocks mentioned above. Analyst ratings sourced from Zacks Investment Research.
Kapitall's Danny Guttridge does not own any of the shares mentioned above. Data sourced from Finviz.
The Motley Fool owns shares of Costco Wholesale, Best Buy, and Guess. Motley Fool newsletter services have recommended buying shares of PetSmart and Costco Wholesale. Motley Fool newsletter services have recommended creating a stock repair position in Guess. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days.