Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Why Kraft Heinz Stock Slipped Today

By Jeremy Bowman - Feb 13, 2020 at 1:52PM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

The packaged food company turned in a weak earnings report.

What happened

Shares of Kraft Heinz (KHC 1.61%) were sliding again today after the packaged food giant issued a disappointing fourth-quarter earnings report, showing that management was still struggling to turn the business around. As of 2:01 p.m. EST, the stock was down 7%.

So what

Kraft Heinz said organic sales, which strip out the impact of divestitures, acquisitions, and foreign currency, fell 2.2% despite a 2% price increase overall. Sales volume and mix together fell 4.2%, showing the company's brands are losing market share. 

A woman and her child in a supermarket aisle

Image source: Getty Images.

Overall revenue declined 5.1% to $6.54 billion, which missed estimates of $6.6 billion. On the bottom line, adjusted earnings per share (EPS) fell from $0.84 to $0.72, which managed to top expectations of $0.68, but that did little to assuage investors. Not included in its adjusted EPS was a $666 million asset impairment for some international businesses and its Maxwell House trademark. That follows a $15.4 billion writedown in the year-ago quarter for the Kraft and Oscar Mayer brands, among other assets.

CEO Miguel Patricio, who took the helm eight months ago, was sober about the company's position, saying, "While our 2019 results were disappointing, we closed the year with performance consistent with our expectations, and driven by factors we anticipated," and added, "Our turnaround will take time, but we expect to make significant progress in 2020, laying a strong foundation for future growth."

Now what

Kraft Heinz has tumbled over the last year -- the company took a $15.4 billion writedown, revealed an SEC investigation, and slashed its dividend in the year-ago quarter. Management declined to give guidance, but said it would outline the company's turnaround strategy further at an investor conference in May. With nearly $30 billion in debt on its balance sheet and consumer tastes shifting away from its packaged food brands, turning around the business won't be easy.

Jeremy Bowman has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Stocks Mentioned

Kraft Heinz Intermediate Corporation II Stock Quote
Kraft Heinz Intermediate Corporation II
KHC
$38.40 (1.61%) $0.61

*Average returns of all recommendations since inception. Cost basis and return based on previous market day close.

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning analyst team.

Stock Advisor Returns
379%
 
S&P 500 Returns
123%

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 08/10/2022.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with The Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool's premium services.