The year has started with a bang for solar stocks. Nearly all solar stocks have jumped considerably since the first of the year with much of that gain coming on Wednesday of this week. Reports of a strong month of December in Germany and stabilizing module prices gave investors enough confidence to jump back into the industry.
But that's not all that's going on in solar this week. Here are some of the other highlights.
Solar isn't the focal point of CES but there have been some announcements from the industry at the world's biggest electronics show.
- Energy Conversion Devices launched a solar powered Amazon Kindle cover. The device powers the Kindle along with a reserve battery built into the cover.
- NRG Energy is showing off the "largest gadget ever" at CES this year, a display of products to make solar power and electric vehicle charging easier. The display highlights NRG's solar installation plans that include financing as well as the company's eVgo network of electric vehicle chargers.
- One of the big conversation pieces is the Connected Home, a growing number of products that can be monitored from an energy management system. Samsung is one of the companies offering such a system that connects to solar modules a washing machine, refrigerator, or other electrical devices to monitor usage. These types of devices make monitoring solar production more hands-on and even bring real-time electrical prices to the forefront.
Energy Conversion Devices finally paid the interest on its convertible senior notes, a payment that had been deferred in hopes of reorganizing the capital structure of the company. This is a small sign of life for the company, but unless sales pick up soon, I still think this company may be doomed.
In other news
GT Advanced Technologies
Overall, not a bad week for solar companies across the board.
Interested in reading more about solar stocks? Add them to My Watchlist, and My Watchlist will find all of our Foolish analysis on these stock.
- Add SunPower to My Watchlist.
- Add Renesola to My Watchlist.
- Add Satcon Technology to My Watchlist.
- Add NRG Energy to My Watchlist.
- Add LDK Solar to My Watchlist.
- Add GT Advanced Technologies to My Watchlist.
- Add Energy Conversion Devices to My Watchlist.
While I'm big on solar stocks, they're not the only good stocks out there. For another smart stock idea, check out The Motley Fool's latest special report to discover our top stock pick for 2012. It's free, but it won't be available for long, so get your copy now.
Fool contributor Travis Hoium owns shares of SunPower and has sold puts on SunPower as well. You can follow Travis on Twitter at @FlushDrawFool, check out his personal stock holdings or follow his CAPS picks at TMFFlushDraw.
The Motley Fool owns shares of Amazon.com. Motley Fool newsletter services have recommended buying shares of Amazon.com. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.