Some of the most respected and followed investors tend to be of the value investing philosophy. For examples, look no further than legends like Benjamin Graham and Warren Buffet. However, there are some value investors that stay out of the spotlight. Seth Klarman is one of those under-the-radar names.
This graduate of Cornell University and Harvard Business School launched his private-investment partnership, The Baupost Group, in 1983 after finishing business school.
The Boston-based fund recently placed fifth among 10 of the largest hedge fund in America, with $25.0 billion under management. As of December 31, 2011, funds managed by Seth Klarman were valued at $3.34 billion.
According to the most recent 13F SEC filing, as of Q4 of 2011, Baupost held 22 total positions.
Investment activity in the quarter, as summarized by Stockpickr.com, are:
New Buys: TRGT
Increases: NWS, ANV, AVEO, NG, IDIX
Decreases: BP, HPQ, NWSA, ALR, PDLI
Sold Out: BBEP
Despite a decrease, Klarman biggest holding is BP PLC, followed by ViaSat (VSAT), a technology company that specializes in communication related equipment.
Business section: Investing ideas
Here are Klarman's current top holdings, updated by Stockpickr on March 8th, 2012. (Click here to analyze these ideas.)
2. ViaSat: Engages in the design, production, and marketing of satellite and other wireless communication, and networking systems for government and commercial customers. 14.52% of portfolio. 10.5 million shares. Position unchanged.
4. Theravance: Engages in the discovery, development, and commercialization of small molecule medicines for various therapeutic areas, including respiratory disease, bacterial infections, and central nervous system (CNS)/pain. 9.42% of portfolio. 14.23 million shares. Position unchanged.
6. News Corp.: Operates as a diversified media company worldwide. 8.04% of portfolio. 15.04 million shares. Position decreased by 6 million shares, -28.5%.
7. News Corp: A diversified global media company. 5.81% of portfolio. 10.66 million shares.Position increased by 6.38 million shares, +148.8%.
8. Allied Nevada Gold: Engages in the evaluation, acquisition, exploration, and advancement of gold exploration and development projects in the state of Nevada. 2.64% of portfolio. 4.01 million shares. Position increased by 512,750 shares, +14.7%.
9. AVEO Pharmaceuticals
10. Genworth Financial
Interactive Chart: Press Play to compare changes in analyst ratings over the last two years for the stocks mentioned above. Analyst ratings sourced from Zacks Investment Research.
Kapitall's Rebecca Lipman does not own any of the shares mentioned above. Data soured from Stockpickr.
The Motley Fool owns shares of Microsoft. Motley Fool newsletter services have recommended buying shares of Microsoft. Motley Fool newsletter services have recommended creating a bull call spread position in Microsoft. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.