Paycom Software (NYSE:PAYC), a software-as-a-service business focused on the needs of human resources departments, reported its third-quarter results on Tuesday. Sales growth accelerated to 32% as the company continues to succeed at winning new business in its core markets. The organic growth has been so strong that management decided to give its sales force the green light to start targeting larger clients.
Paycom Software third-quarter results: The raw numbers
|Metric||Q3 2018||Q3 2017||Change (YOY)|
|Revenue||$133.3 million||$101.3 million||32%|
|Adjusted EBITDA||$49.2 million||$40.4 million||22%|
|Non-GAAP net income||$30.6 million||$23.2 million||22%|
|Non-GAAP earnings per share||$0.52||$0.39||32%|
What happened with Paycom Software this quarter?
- This marks the third quarter in a row of a sequential acceleration in sales growth. Total revenue of $133.3 million also exceeded the top end of management's guidance.
- Adjusted EBITDA of $49.2 million was almost $2 million ahead of guidance.
- Management stated that sales and marketing expenses were higher than normal during the quarter because of a decision to roll out a national advertising campaign. The higher spending rates are expected to persist in the upcoming quarter.
- The company repurchased 30,000 shares of stock during the period.
- Cash balance at quarter's end was $85 million and total debt was $34.8 million.
What management had to say
Paycom CEO and founder Chad Richison made it clear on the call with investors that his company is currently firing on all cylinders: "We had an excellent third quarter. Our momentum continued as companies across a wide range of industries and geographies turn to Paycom to help them achieve success."
Richison also stated that success with smaller businesses has convinced the company to start targeting larger customers:
[W]e are pleased to announce that we are expanding our proactive sales efforts from targeting firms with 50 employees to 2,000 employees to targeting firms with 50 employees to 5,000 employees. We have had great success selling to organizations above the 2,000-employee level, as word-of-mouth about the Paycom solution frequently pulls in larger company leads to our sales group.
Here's the guidance that management gave for the fourth quarter:
|Metric||Q4 2018 Guidance||Q4 2017 Actual||Change at Midpoint
|Revenue||$142.5 million to $144.5 million||$114 million||26%|
|Adjusted EBITDA||$49.5 million to $51.5 million||$31.8 million||59%|
The continued prosperity also enabled management to raise its full-year guidance range by a few million dollars once again:
|Metric||2018 Updated Guidance||2017 Actual||Change at Midpoint|
|Revenue||$558.5 million to $560.5 million||$433 million||29%|
|Adjusted EBITDA||$233 million to $235 million||$137 million||71%|
Overall, Paycom's results continue to prove that the business is having a lot of success with executing against its substantial market opportunity.