Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Here's Why Stocks Are Rising After January's Federal Reserve Meeting

By Matthew Frankel, CFP® - Jan 29, 2020 at 3:13PM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

Investors seem to like what the FOMC said and did. Here's why.

Anyone hoping for a major surprise from the January Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) meeting is likely to be disappointed. As was widely expected heading into the gathering, the FOMC decided to hold interest rates steady -- for now. The target range for the benchmark federal funds rate remains at 1.5%-1.75% (at least for the next month and a half or so).

The main reason for the interest rate decision, according to the FOMC statement, appears to be inflation. Specifically, the FOMC has set an objective to reach a 2% inflation rate, and the actual number has been running short of that. The statement said that the committee's policy is intended to produce "inflation returning to the Committee's symmetric 2 percent objective."

Rising stock charts superimposed over digital map of the world

Image source: Getty Images.

A couple of changes in the FOMC statement

There are few documents in the world that are as dissected on a word-for-word level as the statement the FOMC releases after each meeting, so let's take a closer look at the two major changes in the January edition.

I already mentioned the line about inflation, and this was one of the more significant changes to the closely watched FOMC statement. Specifically, the phrase "returning to" 2% inflation replaced "near" 2% inflation in the December statement, indicating that the Fed might act more aggressively in the future to help push inflation higher.

The other notable change in the statement is that the FOMC now sees household spending rising at a "moderate" pace, where it previously saw "strong" spending growth.

Both of these developments can be interpreted as positive changes for the stock market. They indicate that there's more of a probability that the FOMC might cut rates in the future and less of a probability for rate hikes, which many had feared would come in the wake of the generally strong U.S. economy.

Why are stocks higher after the FOMC decision?

Typically, a pop in the stock market happens when the FOMC decides to cut interest rates. However, stocks rose sharply after the decision to hold rates steady was announced.

The reason is that prior to the decision, investors were considering two main possibilities. According to CME Group's FedWatch tool, heading into the two-day meeting, the market was pricing in an 87% chance that the committee would hold rates steady and a 13% chance of an interest rate hike. In other words, another interest rate cut was never considered to be a serious possibility.

So of the two realistic possible outcomes, the Fed gave investors the more positive one (for the market). That's why we're seeing the stock market rise after the decision was announced.

What's next?

It's worth noting that the Fed decision and statement aren't the only potentially market-moving events to come out of the meeting. Chair Jerome Powell's press conference always has the ability to surprise investors as well.

The next FOMC meeting will be held in March, and unlike the January meeting, March's decision will be accompanied by the Fed's latest economic projections and its dot plot, which will give us a better idea of where members see interest rates heading for the rest of 2020 and beyond.

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning service.

Stock Advisor Returns
344%
 
S&P 500 Returns
120%

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 05/27/2022.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with The Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool's premium services.